• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get better at Smash without playing it.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hi there USA.
I did this thread on the French ssb boards and it had quite a lot of success, so I guess it's worth a translation cus I'm a fame whoooooore (and/or a mad scientist.)

I've been studying reflexes in my bio lessons for a month now. It got really, really boring, so I decided I'd try to apply what I've noted to Smash to avoid sleeping.
For the super strict people out there, note that I will not use the scientific definition of a reflex in any of my advices, but the common sense definition.
The john for it : nervous signals go to the brain in our case, but I will still use the characteristics of neural fibers that are used in actual reflexes, which means my advices can be applied. The lesson wasn't on the brain itself, but on the nerves.
The advices don't all come from the lessons I had, btw. I've got some random bases thanks to friends/teachers/TV/etc, which can be used.

Ok so I'm done with the boring intro, let's learn cool stuff now.

Your reaction time is something you always wish was better when you play a fighting game. Indeed, by thinking faster, you give yourself more time to analyze and resolve any situation, which means you'd autopilot less and win more.
There are actually ways to make your reaction time faster.

In your brain, everything is coded into electrical signals. When you encounter a new situation, the brain defines a path that the signal is going to take. If you ever encounter the same situation, the path would be ready for the signal to travel ; it means the information will run better and it will get better every time a signal uses that path. If your brain detects that this path is used often enough, it will find shortcuts and make it even faster.
That's what make wifi players and offline players different. The situations we encounter are different, the way to resolve them is different too. There is no better one ; we just play different games.
What I want to say, is that even if you apply every single one of the following advices and get top tier reflexes but never practice and never get experience, you will still suck. The title of the thread was just a way to get readers tbh =V

Your brain is an organ. It has needs. It doesn't need many fibers/proteins like most organs, though. It just needs a LOT of water and a LOT of sugar. Take a glass of water, and eat a little cereal bar. Tadaa, you're going to be playing for hours now.

Nerves now. Nerves are just a bunch of nervous fibers jointed together. Those fibers are the support of the electronic signal. There are cells that go around them. (idk their english name, here's how it looks like : http://mlaurent1.free.fr/laurensep/pag_1/pag_2/journaux/images/schema_p8300.jpg ) which reduces the number of steps the signal must take. Think Pikachu's neutral B. Now, make it go straight in the air instead of bouncing around wasting its time. It would go twice as fast wouldn't it ? Well it's the same in nerves. The more of it you have of these cells, the faster the signals travel. Some nerves are a hundred times slower than some others because of not having this kind of cells around them.
The point of this ? These cells are made of fat. If you are on a diet, do not be dumb. Eating less fat is always wise, eating no fat is just completely dumb. That also applies to sports and work... The human body needs fat, it wouldn't be able to eat it otherwise.

Try to play THIS GAME right now. Then try at 1am. Then try at noon. You will never get consistent results because you are going to get tired some day. The exhaustion is an important factor in being fast. Your brain will try to wake up, and it will focus on about everything. Which means you won't focus on your match.
Always sleep before tournaments. Have a long, confortable, stressless night.
This is also the reason why taking an aspirin before/during a tournament could do no bad to you. Your brain will be fighting the heat of the venue (100 humans + 20 TVs = heat), the frustration of the competition, the exhaustion of being used for hours non-stop, etc... Make it rest.

The human brain can treat a great number of informations at the same time. But only a dozen on a conscious level. You want to focus on the match. There are more than a way to do so.
-Take drugs. I would not advice that. Lain does that I heard. Being high make you unable to focus on anything beside what you're looking at, so I guess it would make you undisturbable. But you'd just ruin both your health and your money.
-Listen to music while playing. Not every TV has got good sound in tournaments so if you keep needing the sounds of the game to have a good timing, you may hate yourself someday. Just don't listen to something that would make you lose your focus : try song in a language you don't understand, or even better, a lyricless song (transe/classic/video game music are the most common). This also works to an extent : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7u6Y_25-w
-Try playing with pad shaking off. Your pad shakes when you hit, when you shield a hit or when you get hit. Most people when they shield wait for the pad to shake to react OoS because reflexes are faster for the skin than for the ear/the eye. They are focusing only on that, and not on what they see, which means they can't react if you land without attacking and grab them. By turning off the shaking, you will focus on what you see, and react to those dumb mindgames. Turning them off MAY mess up your DI a bit. Try for yourself and see what works best for you.

That's everything I've got.
Thanks to my science teacher for being boring, and Jux for the aspirin part. Plus my own brain for not being tired when it's translating stuffz at 1 am.
I hope you enjoyed the read.
Moreover, I hope some of you will have some tips too.

etecoon

Smash Hero
-Listen to music while playing. Not every TV has got good sound in tournaments so if you keep needing the sounds of the game to have a good timing, you may hate yourself someday. Just don't listen to something that would make you lose your focus : try song in a language you don't understand, or even better, a lyricless song (transe/classic/video game music are the most common). This also works to an extent : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7u6Y_25-w
yeah lyricless or foreign songs are better for this but, and maybe this is just me, but I also find that anything that is very melodic can be distracting. simple repetitive music works well. something super ambient like what you posted could also be good, blocks out some distractions but isn't something you'd divert your attention to

Albert.

Smash Master
suck[/B]. The title of the thread was just a way to get readers tbh =V

The human brain can treat a great number of informations at the same time. But only a dozen on a conscious level. You want to focus on the match. There are more than a way to do so.
-Take drugs. I would not advice that. Lain does that I heard. Being high make you unable to focus on anything beside what you're looking at, so I guess it would make you undisturbable. But you'd just ruin both your health and your money.

LOL most of SoCal PR gets high before playing.

You're more creative :D

C.J.

Smash Master
If you want to focus and you're using music, binaural beats are probably your best bet.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
good read, People ( as in people who view video games as somthing that rots your brain and is stupid **** AKA non gamers) fail to realize we actually can and DO use science to help us win play better and can actually learn practical knowledge such as this or things like teamwork and focus that we can use later in life.

I also recomend eating a healthy breakfest like cherios or somthing before a tournament and not crap food. It makes a pretty big difference IMO

but thanks for the info this should be added to list of guides

and getting high before a tournament results in long term loss due to brain damage. Yes it may help during touranment but it won't help you in a year

the average male collage student loses 5-10 IQ points from achohol in collage

TreK

Is "that guy"
good read, People ( as in people who view video games as somthing that rots your brain and is stupid **** AKA non gamers) fail to realize we actually can and DO use science to help us win play better and can actually learn practical knowledge such as this or things like teamwork and focus that we can use later in life.
That's the way, dude. But I'm still young and most people here should know more stuff than me. I'm pretty sure people could add stuff to this, so don't hold back *cus I wanna get better and I'm lazy*

Your 'things like teamwork' part makes me think about a lot of random, probably useless, but yet cool stuff. I am really going to be a mad scientist when I'm older.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Good stuff. Sometimes before i have a session of Smash with friends i do a quick round of Tetris Party. I do one round of Endless Marathon in an attempt to best my previous high score and reach new heights, then i quit and go play Smash.
How well i do on EM seems to translate to how well i perform on Smash for the day; "how well" meaning how fast and efficiently i place the tetrimino, how quickly i adapt to level ups, how fast and accurately i plan ahead with the knowledge of the tetrimino scheduled to appear, how well i utilize my held Tetrimino, how many errors i make, how quickly and the best way to go about fixing these errors, how many combo's i pull off, how many dave's i pull off and of course my score when i eventually lose. I like to believe it helps. That, and Tetris Party is so **** addicting...

A nice bowl of Alpen on the morning of tournaments if good too.

Sharky

Smash Master
so on the aspirin note, you're saying that it would help? can you explain this in a little more detail?

TreK

Is "that guy"
so on the aspirin note, you're saying that it would help? can you explain this in a little more detail?
This was pretty clear to me when Jux explained it to me. I'll ask him to reword a little so I wouldn't be saying wrong stuff :V

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
very good read ^_^

I'm gonna try and get some foreign music/calming music to try out.

I can't remember how many times all I hear is other people talking or my mind floats off cuz of something other than the game.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well, aspirin is a blood thinner. For one thing, it'll reduce intra-cranial pressure, which can be exacerbated by the stress of tournament settings. It'll also increase blood flow, which will increase oxygen that gets to the brain.

Don't take too much of it though. It's a drug, after all, and it has a toxicity level.

Asce

Smash Apprentice
Hi there USA.
Nerves now. Nerves are just a bunch of nervous fibers jointed together. Those fibers are the support of the electronic signal. There are cells that go around them. (idk their english name, here's how it looks like : http://mlaurent1.free.fr/laurensep/p...hema_p8300.jpg )
Just for clarification, those are called myelin sheaths in english. The more you have the quicker the signal :)

Wingless

Smash Cadet
Sleep...huh. Why is it that it has always seemed somewhat irrelevant?

Music is also a good idea, but for some characters...well, you have like, verbal commands that they give out to go by. (Pikachu, for example, you can always time your dodge with the noise thunder makes)

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Sleep...huh. Why is it that it has always seemed somewhat irrelevant?

Music is also a good idea, but for some characters...well, you have like, verbal commands that they give out to go by. (Pikachu, for example, you can always time your dodge with the noise thunder makes)
or the loud HMPFH of mk's fsmash
but yea, this works really well, as soon as i hear PIKAAAAH! i just DI away and punish :)

TreK

Is "that guy"
Just for clarification, those are called myelin sheaths in english. The more you have the quicker the signal :)
Ah, thanks dude =V
I love the French.
Me moar.
That's true, obviously. But in tourneys, some TVs have a very bad sound (like the ones where Luigi's up is SUUUUUPER loud), or even don't have sound at all.

If you are able to rely on something more constant like the animations, that's a big plus. It can take a while to get used to play with music, and some people just can't do without SFX even with training... Like I said, try stuff and see what works best for you. What worked for me is playing without SFX at home (where I mostly play cpus and wifi because I'm far from the train and noone wants to come where I live XD), which makes me react faster in tournaments on TVs where there IS sound.

D

Deleted member

The more you know...but seriously, this is pretty potent information. good post.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
What I want to say, is that even if you apply every single one of the following advices and get top tier reflexes but never practice and never get experience, you will still suck. The title of the thread was just a way to get readers tbh =V
As I suspected, I'm going to really suck when I get my Wii back from repairs after 9 months of brokenness... oh well. Although, there is something to be said about the mind's ability to retain certain practiced tasks - i.e., muscle memory. Doubtless, it's going to be a rocky start for me after all this time, but it's not going to approach being as slow a process to reach my previous skill as it was initially.
hmm, '87. A very good year...
Great article btw - and yes, I think it deserves the distinction of being called an article rather than a mere thread.

TreK

Is "that guy"
There will always be other ways that I don't know of, and you do. That's why I posted it in the discussion boards, rather than blogs or anything : there should be actual discussions going on about all the non-psy aspects of smash.

So yeah, it's not an article in the sense that I expect it not only to get feedback, but contributions too.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
There will always be other ways that I don't know of, and you do. That's why I posted it in the discussion boards, rather than blogs or anything : there should be actual discussions going on about all the non-psy aspects of smash.

So yeah, it's not an article in the sense that I expect it not only to get feedback, but contributions too.
I only meant that in its thoughtfulness, its quantity and quality of information, and its structure it read like an article and could easily stand up in a blog. However, I totally understand why it's here in the discussion boards, as feedback and contributions from readers allow the topic to be much richer than it could be on its own.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Well I thought everyone knew this. Its no different then when you take a standardized test you want to sleep and eat correctly so that your mind can focus for long periods of time.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I almost never get a good amount of sleep before a tourney.
the next day im usually hella sleepy but a red bull solves that problem (H)

TreK

Is "that guy"
I almost never get a good amount of sleep before a tourney.
the next day im usually hella sleepy but a red bull solves that problem (H)
Red bull should be banned in tournaments =O

YES GARIAN, THIS POST TARGETS YOU.

Top Bottom