• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Directory

Capt. Olimar

Smash Cadet
Olimar Matchup Thread Directory

:snake::marth: :pikachu2: :ike::ness2::falco::popo::wario::diddy::metaknight::metaknight:2:gw::dedede::luigi:

Alright, guys. Time to get this up and running again. This time it's gonna go a bit differently. There's going to be a few changes to how things are defined, for one.

Recent Discussions

We are not completely starting fresh. First of all, I'm going to provide two links.

The first, is "The Impact Site", which is another stickied thread like this one. Inside, Zori requested that six players (including himself) all do a writeup of a matchup that they know more than others. Matchups they've drilled and worked on to perfection. And this helps because it allows Olimars to dig into each other's brains, and for us to share information to better ourselves as a group. I for one benefited greatly from Draconoa's writeup on the Peach matchup. And if this thread continued as it could have, it could have been a huge step in the right direction for us. Although, our community died down right around this time, and we lost a large amount of the motivation we needed to push the thread as hard as it needed to be. Hopefully after we get back on our feet, it will be able to be continued. But for now, it's a good reference for matchups. For these characters. Matchups included in this thread are, in order, Peach, Lucario, Toon link, King Dedede, Falco, and Donkey Kong. However, the Dedede matchup is short enough that I wouldn't mind re discussing it, if people would like.

The other is a specific writeup that helped almost every Olimar in our Board. Dabuz's writeup of the Meta Knight Matchup. This writeup gave different outlooks to many Olimars, including our top players. And while this isn't a completely writeup, it's enough for now. We will definitely be redoing the meta knight matchup soon, but for now, this link will be used in reference for this matchup.

Matchup Definitions​

Alright guys, we're done with the "60:40, 65:35" bull****. The numbers are not standardized, we don't have specific definitions for each ratio, and they mean different things to different people. So we're going to use a bit more defined terms.

Even: Both characters have traits and aspects in the matchup to make it an even matchup. The game is completely dependent on the skill of the two players and their knowledge of the matchup.

Slight Advantage and Slight Disadvantage: Similar to "Even", although one character has some quality or trait to give the opponent a hard time, if used correctly. This advantage the character may have is usually not game changing, just something the character can abuse to a small extent to make things difficult to the opponent, while the other character lacks something similar. Still completely winnable for either player, even if at the same skill level.

Advantage and Disadvantage: This could mean many things, but basically, one character has a solid advantage against the other, although it doesn't mean the character completely shuts the other down. The character at the disadvantage will have to noticeably work harder for the win, and will struggle in the matchup, due to aspects more than the opponent simply outplaying them.

Large Advantage and Large Disadvantage: Basically the same definitions for "Advantage" but amplify them. Many players consider picking up secondaries for matchups in this category, it isn't advised playing a matchup that is a Large Disadvantage for your character. In most cases, one character has something (usually simple to abuse) that they are able to take a huge advantage of to completely shut down the opponent.

These are the matchup definitions we'll be using from now on. If anyone has suggestions for additional definitions or better definitions for the ones we have, feel free to let me hear them. One think I would like to not add is "Unwinnable", though, and I feel "Large Advantage" and "Large Disadvantage" should be the boundary of what we define matchups as.

Previously Decided Matchups:

Each of the following matchups were decided to be listed as "Even", "Advantage", or "Disadvantage". The definitions "Slight Advantage", "Slight Disadvantage", "Large Advantage", and "Large Disadvantage" were excluded from this list. However, I would like to go through these and decide on what their final definitions should be. You may all give opinions on what you think specific matchups should be. However, if you are asked for your reason for a matchup, expect to give a reply, otherwise your opinion may well not count, depending on the character in question. So no writing up a chart of what you think and being done with it. We are going to discuss this as civil gentlemen.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Matchup Discussions

Alright, it's time we started getting back on the ball, discussing matchups in here. One at a time we're going to decide on a character to discuss. If, when deciding on what a character should be listed as, there erupts a lot of discussion and disagreement, I may decide to make that character the next choice for the next matchup discussion.

I'm not going to link old matchup discussion threads to this one, as I would rather just start over fresh. Instead I'm going to update this thread with each matchup discussion that finishes (or closes).

Our first matchup to discuss will be Snake

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
It's great to see this thread finally come to fruition, and regardless of what you said in The Olimar Boards I think it's pretty enough for the time being :) Question though: are we supposed to start naming where we think characters should be placed and moved to, or do we just discuss whoever is currently in the matchup discussion board?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You can if you'd like. It isn't the topic of the thread to decide on what characters should be listed as, but if there's something someone thinks is incorrect, or something that needs a clearer definition, feel free to bring it up.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
The main reason people were lazy was that they would have to make a complete writeup for the Impact Site.
With match-up discussions, they only have to contribute a line or two while still retaining the ability to type a complete writeup on certain characters that they like or know well (if the urge strikes them). I still don't understand why we stopped them in the first place.

Speaking of which, are we going to use the same data from the previous match-up discussions or has the passage of time rendered them useless?

Latias

Smash Journeyman
so are we doing number mus like 35-65 ( thats luigi) or just the list?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Advantage
King Dedede
Pikachu
Lucario
Mr. Game and watch
Pit
Kirby
Rob
Donkey Kong
Fox
Sonic
Ness
Bowser
Lucas
Ike
Mario
Captain Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff
Zelda
Link
Ganondorf

Even
Snake
Diddy Kong
Falco
Ice Climbers
Wario
Olimar
Toon Link
Zero Suit Samus
Wolf
Sheik
Pokemon Trainer
Yoshi

Disadvantage
Meta Knight
Marth
Peach
Luigi
Logic Error.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I'll set Lucario aside for now cause I know that one will go down hill for me fast (against you anyway lol).

Snake - read MU discussion post

Ice Climbers - You have to play the match-up safe/aggro, which is why people have problems with it. Basically I think I learned the match-up just a bit ago, but I would rather test it out before saying 100%.

Toon Link - If you camp him right, the match-up is unwinable (according to plenty of other TL mains, not just me =/). Full hop nair and spaced zair only go so far in the match-up.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
In all honesty I agree with you for Snake and Toon Link, I think Snake should only be listed as a Slight Advantage, though. Toon Link could be Slight or Full Advantage, I'm not sure. I don't feel Olimar has the tools to shut Ice Climbers down enough to where it would be considered a solid advantage. I'm not going to argue your IC statement, because I don't know the matchup as well as I could. I don't feel it's any more than a slight advantage for us, but it really seems even. It could even be a slight advantage in their favor, I'm not sure.

Lucario is a Slight Advantage for us at worst. Probably better. I'll argue it if needed haha

Dnyce

Smash Master
I don't feel Olimar has the tools to shut Ice Climbers down enough to where it would be considered a solid advantage. I'm not going to argue your IC statement, because I don't know the matchup as well as I could. I don't feel it's any more than a slight advantage for us, but it really seems even. It could even be a slight advantage in their favor, I'm not sure.
TBH, any character that can infinite the entire cast should not have anything past slight disadvantage - haha.

Lucario is a Slight Advantage for us at worst. Probably better. I'll argue it if needed haha
I'll save you and I the time and say I concede for the time being.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
He didn't give one, said he'd save him and Hilt the time and just conceed. I'm guessing they have debate history there :)

Dnyce

Smash Master
He didn't give one, said he'd save him and Hilt the time and just conceed. I'm guessing they have debate history there :)
Cause it's going to come down to this:

Fino - The MU is ******** because of aura abuse they just **** through everything. Winning is conditional etc.

Hilt - You gotta do this to counter that, the match-up isn't that bad, just focus on these things. Your this beats his that etc.

Fino - I try that and it doesn't work *insert more johns* I think you're wrong.

Hilt - What Lucario exp / practice do you have?

Fino - Little to none ;-;

Hilt wins.

At least, I imagine it going like something along those lines.

Latias

Smash Journeyman

Cause it's going to come down to this:

Fino - The MU is ******** because of aura abuse they just **** through everything. Winning is conditional etc.

Hilt - You gotta do this to counter that, the match-up isn't that bad, just focus on these things. Your this beats his that etc.

Fino - I try that and it doesn't work *insert more johns* I think you're wrong.

Hilt - What Lucario exp / practice do you have?

Fino - Little to none ;-;

Hilt wins.

At least, I imagine it going like something along those lines.
lols, you have no lucario experience? just dont let them get you in air :p

Geddan

Smash Ace
get rich in on the lucario match-up, he's got stauffy in his region. x_x

i personally don't see the match-up being bad, but then again, the lucarios here don't play against olimar the correct way at all, and same goes for me against them. rofl.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Peach definitely isn't our worst matchup, it's not all that bad. It just takes a completely different playstyle. She's probably the easiest of our four bad matchups. As for the other three (Meta Knight, Marth, Luigi), I don't know which one would be the worst. Different people have different opinions on it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Marth is much easier than either Luigi or MetaKNight. Just saying.
I agree with this guy; I have a much harder time with MK and Luigi. In terms of difficulty I'd say MK>Weegee>Marth>Peach. Hilt pointed out that we aren't ready to move on yet, but as far as who we will move onto I'd really say Ice Climbers; while some of Olimars ordinary tricks work on those other characters, they all seem to fall short with the Ice Climbers, especially if they start a desynched Blizzard :urg: There also doesn't seem to be any information at all about fighting them here, so I think a discussion about ICs is much more necessary.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
IC? well, i have pretty good matchups against them, but i dont play at pro level. Whenever i play IC, i just use hit-and-run tactics: Stay far away, rack up damage using Pikmin, and attempt an attack. if the attack fails, i avoid damage, and continue building damage until i feel safe enough to attack again. and i just go on like that.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah i dont really have any problems with ICs lol. but whatever everyone wants to discuss is fine with me as long as we keep at it

Latias

Smash Journeyman
lets discuss marth, marth boards have no summary on the mu either.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I can't give anything on marth, my last tourney a marth pwnd me pretty badly...

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I need more information on the Marth mu as well. Since I guess I'm the only one who'd like to discuss ICs, it's not too big of a sacrifice to put that on the shelf for now. That said, WE AREN'T DONE YET! There's still more to be said about Snake, so get in there

Top Bottom