• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Directory

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
i'm staying with Today for a few days. when I get back home I'll have more time and we can start another matchup thread. whatever you all decide on is fine. marth sounds like a good idea and I'd be for it. ice climbers would work but I don't think it would flow as well.

Jane

Smash Hero
hilt you should like, threaten to ban rich and logic if they dont participate in the next discussion... or something ;D

Dnyce

Smash Master
Whenever i play IC, i just use hit-and-run tactics: Stay far away, rack up damage using Pikmin, and attempt an attack. if the attack fails, i avoid damage, and continue building damage until i feel safe enough to attack again. and i just go on like that.

I'm down for discussing Martha.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
>my face when you locked snake thread and didnt link to it

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm going to link the Snake discussion thread in the OP when I touch up the summary a bit and put it in the OP.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to link the Snake discussion thread in the OP when I touch up the summary a bit and put it in the OP.
but shouldnt we leave it open incase new tactics come up?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No, that's okay. I closed the thread because A) I didn't want it to turn into the flame war it was becoming, and B) discussion was, for the most part, over and concluded. We covered everything we needed to cover and it's time to move on, we're behind after all. If new points of discussion are to be brought up, they can be brought up in here. However, obviously, if enough Olimars want me to reopen the thread, I'd be happy to do so. I most likely won't leave it closed permanently, also. Give me a week or two and I'll reopen it.

Noa.

Smash Master
Why don't we link back to the old matchup threads. The Ness one had some good stuff, and I highly doubt that the matchup has changed THAT much. The old Pika thread is good too. Even if it's old, a lot of stuff still hold up. Idk about the Diddy thread.

Also are we writing matchup summaries fo each character?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The Ness and Pikachu threads will not be restarted any times soon, and can be used, although I'd like to include a writeup in the beginning of the threads. I don't want to link any threads in this thread's OP until there's a writeup in the OP of the exports. I'm not going to be doing any linking in this OP for a little while.

Reopening the Snake matchup thread, though.

Noa.

Smash Master
Format for writing matchups.

1. Basic Matchup Summary - Just a small paragraph detailing whose advantage it is and why.
2. Move Discussion - In here you want to state what moves give Olimar trouble, and how to prepare/counter against them. Don't bother going over unimportant moves though. Do we really need to know how to handle Snake's dtilt?
3. Zones - This mostly has to do with the characters spacing in correlation with each other. Spacing is a very important part of a matchup, as certain distances can really skew the match into one character's favor. Both vertical spacing and horizontal spacing are important. For horizontal spacing, consider that within ftilt range, Olimar gets ***** by Snake, but outside of that range Oli does very well and always carries a slight advantage. In the case of vertical spacing, look at how skewed the matchup is when ROB is above Olimar compared to when they're both at ground level.
4. Camping - Against certain characters, Olimar needs to camp a specific way to outcamp them. Consider Falco and Snake.
5. Edgeguarding - This really only matters for characters who have specific edgeguarding techniques that are unusual and effective. Consider Peach and her turnips.
6. General stuff - Just general tips and strategies that aren't covered by anything else.
7. Stages - Counterpicks and bans.

It's easy to write a matchup analyses imo.

I'm sure we can find people to write some with the information supplied in each thread. It's on a question by question basis lol.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Color importance is a factor as well. For the snake matchup, I'm going to be, for the most part, using Jules' writeup because it covers everything well. I'll format it a bit, or ask him to, perhaps, to fit what you mention.

But yeah, it's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of time and lack of drive to do much of anything, lately :/ Had a lot of **** goin on the past week or so.

Edit: Added the Snake, Marth, Pikachu, Ike, and Ness matchup links to the OP. Haven't done the write ups for them though, of course.

Jane

Smash Hero
i also vote falco, BUT im also fine with doing ICs, since i know vocal has been wanting to do that one since snake

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'm still for Icies, but Fino taught me a couple things the other day so I'm doing much better in the mu compared to how I used to do. I'd be fine with either Icies or Falco

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Another for Icies! So how bout it? Plus the current Marth discussion isn't really going anywhere at the moment, are we done with it?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm for ICs discussion as well. Gonna wait until tomorrow and then I'll put the thread up so I can hear what some other opinions are.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Cool, and I know I'm getting a little ahead of things, but after whoever's next (Icies!) I'd LOVE to discuss ZSS - that chick just gets me

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah that matchup can be weird as ****

BUT, we should do the more, ahem, important characters first, no? ;P

Greward

Smash Lord
Advantage
King Dedede
Pikachu
Lucario
Mr. Game and watch
Pit
Kirby
Rob
Donkey Kong
Sonic
Ness
Bowser
Lucas
Ike
Mario
Captain Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff
Zelda
Link
Ganondorf
Wolf
Yoshi
Pokemon Trainer

Even
Fox
Ice Climbers
Olimar
Toon Link
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Diddy Kong

Disadvantage
Sheik
Wario
Meta Knight
Marth
Luigi
Snake
Falco

that would be my list, even though i dunno about luigi nor ICs. I would put luigi as even but ive never played a good one so idk xD ICs as disadvantage but i dont know the matchup.
Falco is a incredibly horrible matchup. Peach is not that bad when u know how to play her. Snake is disadvantage imo, i prefer playing MK than snake. Maybe its just that i hate him. Marth is an obvious one. I played lots of sheiks, they have got good aproaches and they are too good at gimping us, in addition sheik is incredibly fast, i dunno if its even or sheik's advantage. Wario is stupid lol its really hard to hit him and he gimps us really easily.
I would say falco and marth are the worst ones, i really hate falco D:
Wolf is not too difficult, played T in MM and destroyed him, thats all i know about wolf xD

btw olimar's fair completely ***** MK

Noa.

Smash Master
I have to admit I rarely play the Falco matchup, but when I do Falco is either super aggressive or super campy. Super campy ones are easier since even though the characters are equal in terms of camping, I tend to outcamp my opponent anyway.

I don't like aggressive falcos though. -.-

I can see a slight disadvantage but a solid disadvantage is unlikely imo.

Top Bottom