• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab - Applications

Science Revolution!

Smash Lab Shared Account
The Smash Lab is an SWF Usergroup dedicated to advancing the Metagame and strengthening the competitive community through research, data, and testing.

-----------------------​
This is the Application Thread:

In order to become a Smash Lab member you must have proven that you are a reliable and knowledgeable
member of SWF. If you want to do this effectively, you will complete the optional admissions project that you may receive via PM from a Director of the Smash Lab (Bionic, DeLux, Yikarur) after your application has been processed. This can heavily influence your chance to get in. If you do not complete the optional admissions project, you will be relying only on the strength of your written application.

To apply, you must reply in thread with the response to the the following questions. After the application is submitted, the Directors of the Lab will weigh the merit of each application and respond to you via PM on its status.

• Do you have both skype and a google account? (you may answer yes/no if you want to keep your information private until after your admission has processed)
  • Why do you want to join the Smash Lab?
  • If admitted to the Lab, would you be more interested in working on studying in-game mechanics or helping write character specific guides? Why?
  • What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?
  • What qualities do you possess which you feel will make you an asset to future Smash Lab projects?
  • Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
  • Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
  • Are there any factors we should take into consideration in addition to this application?
  • Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
  • How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?
  • Now as your optional Admission Test what area will you be willling to create a completed frame map in?
Resources for the Admission Project:
Input maps are pretty much the best thing ever for frame data research. All my "raw" frame data test results are recorded in this format and it allows me to instantly know the right frame for inputs to get a desired response in frame advance.
The advantages in recording in this manner is that its a very easy format to derive values from and work with. It'll save us all a ton of time and give us a set of tools to work with with given characters in frame advance.

Format:
frame* : timer** : input/effect (framework)

*in relation to the noted input frame (Jump input maps always use the jump input as frame 0, for example)

Examples: MK Single Jump optimal input maps (I still have to find the optimal FF inputs :ohwell:)

Code:
MK (vBrawl) SH/FH input maps
in process of redoing because of a glitch in the old tester .pac

Bowser

00 : 00 : input jump
25 : 58 : optimal FF input (SH)
45 : 25 : SH lands
65 : 191 : FH lands

Jigglypuff

07 : 88 : airborne
28 : 53 : optimal FF input (SH)
34 : 43 : optimal FF input (FH)
51 : 15 : SH lands
65 : 191 : FH lands

Lucas

05 : 91 : airborne
21 : 65 : optimal FF input (SH)
33 : 48 : optimal FF input (FH)
38 : 36 : SH lands
61 : 198 : FH lands
AC: autocanceled on the earliest possible frame
LC: landed the frame immediately after the first hit frame of the noted hit
Veril said:
OK, time to share something kinda boring but really useful.

Counting frames is incredibly tedious and a waste of time. If you're collecting data that requires frame-advance rather than PSA (say you're finding shield or hitstun data) its a lot easier if you give a frame value to the clock timer. What I like to do to make things easiest for me is to have the initial input frames for whatever I'm testing occur on the x:00 mark.

So I made this little chart for easy conversions:
Code:
Time	Frame			
x:00	0			
98	1		48	31
96	2		46	32
95	3		45	33
93	4		43	34
91	5		41	35
90	6		40	36
88	7		38	37
86	8		36	38
85	9		35	39
83	10		33	40
81	11		31	41
80	12		30	42
78	13		28	43
76	14		26	44
75	15		25	45
73	16		23	46
71	17		21	47
70	18		20	48
68	19		18	49
66	20		16	50
65	21		15	51
63	22		13	52
61	23		11	53
60	24		10	54
58	25		8	55
56	26		6	56
55	27		5	57
53	28		3	58
51	29		1	59
50	30		x+1:00	60
Ex. lets say I'm finding throw data.

I'll grab Lucario (with his weight mod of 0) at the desired % with the character in question. Let the timer run down to the xx:00 mark (seconds:milliseconds), and input the throw on that frame. I than have a point of reference and can really easily gather the rest of the data by buffering shield to determine the IASA, alternating jump and tap-jump to determine the escape frame, watching the damage marker to determine release frame... and I can play with DI or teching etc etc etc... you see how this is way easier than counting frames when you're doing close to a thousand tests minimum.
How to find stuff in frame advance

Grounded IASA: buffer shield
Aerial IASA or escape frame: alternate jump and tap jump

With finding the hitstun escape frame its best to make sure the opponent is thrown offstage, otherwise you'll find the "first techable frame" which you may also want depending on the throw.

If you are gathering hitstun data:
-hitstun = Escape frame - Release frame
-keep in mind its % and character dependent
-most characters suffer equal hitstun from a move at 0%.
-moves with a high bkb to KBG ratio will have more consistent hitstun values across the cast and %.

If you are gathering ONLY advantage data on a throw:
-Advantage on a non-teched throw= Escape frame (thrown character) - First actionable frame.
-keep in mind that weight dependent throws will yield different FAFs based on character thrown.

obviously Advantage also = (hitstun + release frame) - First actionable frame.
What you need:
Homebrew channel installed w/ GeckoOS
SD card
some other code managing software.
Game Cube controller

Makkun has written a wonderful guide on setting this up: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199810

you'll also need these two codes:

drop this ****ter in a txt file, and use the codemngr in the guide above to get it in the right place on your SD card.
Code:
RSBE01
Smash Bros Brawl (US)

Debug Pause (GCC)
* 80000000 805B8A08
* 0402E5AC 8819000B
* 4A000000 804DE470
* 38000000 EFFF1000
* 86410000 00000001
* E2000001 00000000
* 4A000000 805B8A08
* 3A000002 00FF0000
* 12000002 00000001
* E2000001 00000000
* 4A000000 804DE470
* 38000000 FFEF0010
* 4A000000 805B8A08
* 3A000002 FF000000
* 12000002 00000100
* E2000002 00000000

Frame Advance
* 041E6CD8 4BE1C128
* 041E6D1C 4BE1C114
* 06002E00 00000068
* 9421FF80 BC410008
* 7CE4402E 7CE738F8
* 7CE73039 3864FFC0
* 7CE3412E 7CC4412E
* B8410008 38210080
* 60000000 481E3EB0
* 9421FF80 BC410008
* 7C03202E 3DC01000
* 7DCE70F8 7C007039
* 740E0408 3DE00408
* 7C0E7800 40820008
* 64001000 B8410008
* 38210080 481E3EBC
How to use:

There are three things to note when using this code.

1) to input a pause command, press X and up-Dpad
2) to "debug pause" to stop the game in its tracks, press start
3) to advance the frame while in debug pause, press z

To input an attack, either tilt the control stick and then press start, or press start and hold the button command (R+A for grab). While holding the controls, press Z. Usually you'll want to release the inputs after that first press of Z to avoid charging attacks, etc...

TheMike

Smash Lord
  • What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is grey(ROB. <3), but Cyan is also pretty nice(not because it's the group's color, I indeed like it).

Well, I want to join the Smash Lab because I may learn new stuff and share some of my knowledge with the other members. And I'm also willing to release information to the community and help the group as a whole.

• What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Reserach?
I don't have many qualifications but am able to hold researches due to the plenty of free time and the knowledge I've got.

• Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
No, unfortunately I don't. Actually, I must say that don't know how to deal with frame data very well. Therefore, I decided not to do the optional Admission Project(the link in the spoiler tag is invalid, by the way). Nevertheless, I always read these things so as to keep my knowledge up to date and to be able to answer questions that people ask related to this matter.

• Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
Halberd Data
GFSC + Z-Drop
Gyro Platform Cancel
Shield Break Ledge Cancel

That's all kind of data/findings I remeber of the top of my head that I've collected so far.

• Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
I have access to a Wii but not to those common hacks mentioned. However, I do have access to an SD Card and can easily get hacks to my Wii.

I have plenty of free time as said before.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Raziek's Application

rPSI said:

My favorite color is red. Red, to me, is the color that symbolizes my personality the best. Everything I choose to do, I do with passion, and it reflects in my play-style and my personal life. It’s also worth noting that the colour red, passion and fire are all tightly linked, are traditionally associated with my birth-sign, Leo. Red is the colour that best represents who I am, and what I stand for. Loyalty, passion, and commitment to my values. Ignore the fact that this application is in green, it's to match my Terumi theme. I play Red Hazama in-game. :p

It's another way to be involved in the Smashboards community. I enjoy being able to help share my stage research with other players, and it provides an enriching and rewarding use of my free time, since I benefit from the knowledge as well.

I don't know if you'd exactly call it a qualification, but I've already done a lot of stage research as it is, and I'm frequently referred to by people as a researcher. I've written several stage guides on the Marth boards, and I've cross-posted most of my research to the stage boards.

I don't research my own frame data, I just try to stay current on data relevant to my character, or other characters for match-up purposes. I don't really have the means to do any frame-by-frame testing, so it's not my main area of focus.

Frigate Orpheon Research Project
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281330
Frigate Orpheon Marth Guide (Includes the above research)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281329
Brinstar Research Project
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278839
Brinstar Marth Guide (Includes the above research)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278807
Norfair Marth Guide, some research included. Includes AT on Counter Stalling.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275179
I ALWAYS have my Wii available, and I'm currently running Riivolution on it. My laptop is on the fritz right now, so switching out hacks is tedious, but I should have that resolved soon enough.
I have a good amount of free time, but the amount I spend on research comes in bursts. Every 2 weeks or so, I'll just pick a day, spend 6-8 hours and bang out a stage guide.

Thanks for reading/considering my app.

Luxor

Smash Champion
What is your favorite color?
I'm going to say blue, but orange gets an honorable mention.

Why do you want to join the Smash Lab?
I'm interested! I've always had an analytical mind, and I love finding the mechanics behind things and discovering why they work. I went a little overboard with the Admissions Project and played around with all sorts things; it was fun. I try to stay knowledgeable on game mechanics and the like. I feel that I am a natural fit for something like this.

What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Reserach?
Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
I don't have past experience in the field, but I'm willing to put an effort into learning. I did the optional frame map project, but apart from that I just try to stay informed on general topics.

Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
I always have access to a Wii with Homebrew and all the relevant codes ready.

How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?
I have a fairly flexible schedule, and I can definitely commit at least one or two hours a week, often more.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Green da bess
So I can learn the magnificent art of PSIence.
So I can have a pretty colored name.
So I can become more knowledgeable about smash.

Nothing LOL
Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
I don't even know how to find frame data lmao
Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
I went into training mode to test out PTAD and figured out that the track does 15% =D
No Links though lol.

Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
Yeah, my Wii makes buzzing noises when I turn it on lol. I have an SD card but I don't the hacks, I can get them though.
A lot of time.
Im usually not too busy.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Mr. Escalator, reporting for duty!

Yellow is my favorite color.
This being the case, I will fill out this application using a GOLDEN font.

Clearly, I want to be in it for the prestige and renown that come with being in a super-secret-club. Oh, and the Cyan name-tag. Clearly.

Actually, the main reason I want to join the Smash Lab is because I'm motivated to get back into helping the Smash community. Early in Brawl's release, I focused a good deal of time and energy into helping advance the Game & Watch boards by way of discussion and testing. Eventually, the G&W boards slowed down and it seemed like we had not much else to discover, so I moved onto a new outlet for helping the Brawl community, despite this sort of help being on a more local level; I tried my hand at becoming a TO and helping my state have a smash scene. It went well, in my mind, and I now want to jump back in to giving my support for making this great game better understood, and join up in the Smash Labs revival.

I wanted to be in the Smash Lab when it originally came out, but I felt I was under-qualified. Hopefully, I was wrong back then, and I can find a spot with you guys!

I've done a lot of work with the Game & Watch boards in exploring interactions with the properties of our moves and other miscellaneous testings, testing suggestions from other users, and going a bit further and documenting things with videos and posts. There has been a lot of small things I've contributed to the G&W boards through various posts and through the G&W Back Room social group, so it's hard to really pin a lot of the stuff I've done over Brawl's lifetime. However, I will list the major things I've helped with later in this application.

Beyond Game & Watch stuff, I've also done a big project in the Pokemon Trainer boards regarding Super-Effective hits, prior to Homebrew. A lot of it was made possible by ColinJF's applications, but the heavy lifting was done by myself, no doubt about it. This thread will be listed later down as well. I've also done some small stage testing, and I pride myself with being the person who found out about Rudder Camping on Pirate Ship and proceeded to make a video to bring it to people's attentions.

I'm not the most qualified, but I am willing to work hard to compensate.

Mr. Game & Watch Frame Data Thread

While I myself hadn't collected the majority of that data (I did some minor collecting with the Frame-by-frame mode), I did supervise this particular project. HotGarbage did the primary collecting, but I read over all of his contributions and reviewed them for errors, mostly going off of common sense know-how of my own character and frame knowledge that came later from talks with HotGarbage himself. The bulk of this was done before PSA, but skimming over the thread with it will show how high quality it came out through our DYNAMIC TAG TEAM. I'm pretty proud of our work here.

Oil Panic! Thread:
As the name implies, this thread I made was about G&W's Down B. I did testing to find out damage/knockback categories of each absorb-able projectiles, and I also found out Stale moves' effect on absorption/release. An early project, forgive the formatting.

Pirate Ship's Rudder Stalling thread:
This was the first mention (as far as I know, the first) of the infamous Rudder Camping. It includes video documentation provided by yours truly.

G&W Tricks and Glitches thread:
A cocktail of finds regarding G&W, all documented by myself (and the Norfair one being found by myself). Pretty minor stuff, but worth noting, I believe.

*Pokemon Trainer's Weaknesses and Resistances:
This was some pretty major testing I did prior to PSA, regarding what moves have increased/decreased knockback versus Pokemon Trainer's pokemon. Pretty tedious, but I guess it helps reinforce I'm willing to put in a lot of work with my free time. A lot of it was enabled by ColinJF.

I have a Wii set up 24/7, in a part of the house that doesn't vie for TV time. Furthermore, it's a hacked Wii, so I readily have Homebrew available. SD cards and a laptop are also at hand, if you're curious.

I'm out of Highschool, and I won't be starting College this year. As far as a job goes, nothing yet, but I don't foresee it getting in the way of my contributions even if I get one. As it stands, I have too much time on hands, and the Smash Lab would be a great way to put it to use.

Unfortunately, I won't be participating in the optional Admission Project. I hope this doesn't severely affect your consideration of me, but I can understand if it does.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Dark Green & Cyan (not because of the researcher name color, but because it looks cool). I honestly don't know why I like dark green.

If your wondering why i'm typing in this color and not one of the ones listed above, it's because this color is the only one I could find that goes well with a pink name.

The feeling knowing I'm a contributor to smash knowledge.

And it'll give me something to do.

Some stage mechanic stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't have any right now.

Pirate ship data

PS2 analysis

PS1 analysis

Green greens analysis

I do have common access. Yes, I can hack my wii.

Quite alot.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Favorite color is crimson. Just a powerful color, in my opinion.

To further the wealth of knowledge in Brawl and to learn as much as i can about this game.

Some small stuff with Dolphin/AR + Melee, nothing in brawl

None.

None.

Have my own wii, have the common hacks as well

How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab
A ton, college student with alot of time.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
There's something wrong with that code. It seems that if you're in a match long enough, the z button starts inputting grabs. Starting a new match fixes it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Umm... what I use is:
Code:
Unrestricted Control Editing
211973CC 7CC6F82E
051973CC 38C20060
05197468 38620060
05197574 38820060
05197680 38E20060
051976B4 38620060
051978CC 38E20060
065A9380 0000000A
00010203 04050A0B
0C0D0000 00000000
E0000000 80008000
Just map taunt to Z and grab to the d-pad.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
* What is your favorite color?

My favorite color is blue

* Why do you want to join the Smash Lab?

I want to join The smash lab so I can finish my shield block project, learn more about the game, and help the community become a more educated and more knowledgeable

* What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Reserach?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281323
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11020528#post11020528
I'd like to adequately finish these guides since I did not previously have the data. I will probably be making similar threads for a wide number of characters at some point.

* Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
I have not found any data that was not already posted.
* Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
I was working on GR F smash tipper on MK with marth but didn't have the conclusive proof that its possible so I didn't finish a final proven work. I was working on foxtrot/dash dance mechanics that OS had mentioned in a podcast back in january. Since I haven't seen such a thread I have presumed he isn't working on it and I will start working on it soon.

* Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)

I have accessibility to a wii. I do not currently have any hacks but I do have the means for it
* How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?
I can contribute at LEAST 3 hours a week, sometimes significantly more.
* Now as your optional Admission Project you will create a completed frame map

Yikarur

Smash Master
Hello! I'm Yikarur and I'm from germany.
I'm one of the most knownledgable players in germany in terms of theoretically and technical + framewise knownledge.
I pityfully saw this application too late so my application will be a bit compact because I have to hurry :/

lightblue

I'm very familiar with a lot of in-depth game mechaniques and want to know even more and I test whatever is suspicious for me by myself. I spent a lot of hours in stuff like this and my crew mates said that the definition of Smash Researcher if what totally fits me. I'm also interested in discussion and sharing stuff with other guys.

I'm one of the main stuff testers of the Yoshi Board. I "wasted" a lot of hours and days for various stuff. (not only for the Yoshi Boards) I'm the main guru for the german community in terms of In-Game Questions and mechanique explanation.

* Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249046
even more somewhere on my Laptop D:

* Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
somewhere, my PC got crashed a few month ago with a lot of stuff on it but it's unrecoverable v.v

* Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)

yes, frame advance (debug), PSA etc.

too much haha I'm online like 24/7 the only problem with forum activity would be the time differences of germany (europe) and US and stuff.

meh I really do stuff like that a lot and it's a lot of fun for me but I only safe the final result in the end not the frame map and I don't have time to do another one because the registration closes soon and it's 12:25am here and I'm tired ._. xD x.x *unlucky one*

I don't think this is enough but I would be happy if I get a chance because to be a member of the Smash Lab was my most important desire for a long time and I didn't see the registration in time >__> *slaps myself*

~ Yikarur

Browny

Smash Hater
Was this closed?

anyway I got a question, what are you guys doing regarding hitbubbles? It was proven that they are innacurate due to scaling issues on any character whos body parts increase in size during an attack (Sonic, Mario, Luigi, DDD, Kirby, Jigglypuff and most of the very cartoony style characters) and I havent seen anything done since. Some people have tried to alter the bone scaling or something to cater for the increase in hitbubble size for individual attacks with limited success but I still havent seen anything done about it yet as a whole.

Like Sonics bair for example, clearly a flaw in the hitbubble program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyZgMWOfs8#t=2m16s
and his fsmash considerably larger than it actually is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyZgMWOfs8#t=4m16s

This affects a lot of attacks.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
What is your favourite colour?

It is red.

Why do you want to join the smashlab?

Well I enjoy contributing what I can to the community, I might as well help you guys out as I have crap loads of spare time.Plus the work doesn't seem so bad.

What previous qualifications do you have in the area of smash research?

None really.The most I've done is spend time in training mode trying to find AT's or weird glitches.I discovered one AT for Pikachu. (quickfooting)

Do you have any links to other findings you have collected?

The only info I collected you already know about.

I have a Wii with homebrew but it's messed up right now.If necessary I could rob my sisters one as she pretty much never uses it.

How much time can you commit to the smash lab?

Currently, I can dedicate at least an hour or 2 a day if not more.Weekends maybe not so much, but monday-friday is fine for now.

I have submitted my "project" to you.

Thanks for the help with getting the programs man.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0

Blue and Purple; They work so well with each other...

My favorite part of Brawl is finding the quirks and 'shenanigans' exploitable in stages and characters. Most of my friendlies are so I have time to find what situations using exploitable mechanics are feasible (edgegaurding with rock on the slant of Pictochat (right side)) and finding more glitches/quirks for lack of a better word. I also feel my Smash development is stagnant and I figure being able to discuss with other character mains in a setting to advance Brawls metagame would be the kickstart I need to figuring out how I need to change my strategies. It'd also give me the foreknowledge of knowing the ins and outs of any character by maybe being one of the researchers to advance gameplay for a character.

Non-specifics, I use time spent alone w/ Brawl to play on all legal stages to figure out any news ATs or glitches for my main, Kirby.

I'm not fluent with collecting frame data which is something I'd like to change x_x.

Currently in the recording stages of a video displaying all Kirby 'shenanigans' on various stages (Picto, Distant Planet, PS1, etc.)
I'm also in charge of the Kirby match-up discussions (currently half-way finished) where I start threads, encourage and participate in discussions, summarize the matchup and link to the main MU thread; http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268901

Yes, and somewhat. It wouldn't be trouble to get the most common hacks.

I could probably fit a work week of Smash in my schedule.

Exalted

Smash Lord

It's a tie between lime green and pale yellow

I've always had a strong desire to contribute to the Smash community and my fellow 'Dorf mains, but the opportunity has never arised. I feel that this is the opportunity I've been waiting for; to finally help out instead of posting one-liners in the social thread out of boredom. I'm 100% sure that I would fully dedicate myself to the Smash Lab if I got accepted.

What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?

Well, not much to be honest. I'm currently running a KO % guide which I started last Sunday.
Here's the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286361
I know KO % aren't the most accurate data, but I hope it shows on how thorough and dedicated I am when committing to something.

Do you have any links to Frame Data you've collected?

As much as I'd love to do some Frame Data testing and such, I actually can't, from a practical viewpoint.

Do you have any links to other findings you've collected?

Not really. I'm currently testing some stuff involving Ganon's Flame Choke/Gerudo move, though.

Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks?

Yes, I have nearly unrestricted access to my Wii most of the day. As for hacks, that's quite impossible for me to get right now. I don't have an SD card, and even if I did, my computer doesn't even have a SD card reader.

Around 3-4 hours everyday.

Optional Admissional Project

Sorry, nothing I can do about it as of now.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I typically hate posting in color, but I will do it to give contrast as needed (replies as Franklin Gothic Medium Cyan):

• Oddly enough, it's Red. Yet I went to Georgia Tech. Go figure. :dizzy: Well, Tech's all done now, so I can wear red all I want. :cool:

• For a while, I have been seeing information on frame characteristics on two characters that I main (:wolf: and :mario:). I never thought that I could find a way to implement that in my gameplay, and after I saw that, I saw a way to do just that. Naming things is also pretty cool as well.
  • Grammar Nazi strike! As inexperienced as Palin. Sowwry. :(
  • See above.
  • See above.
  • I have access to Wii, a killer recording setup, and all the hacks under the sun.
  • I'm wasting my life away filling out applications to get hired somewhere. Suffice to say I can spend a good bit of time doing this.
  • Now as your optional Admission Project you will create a completed frame map
  • Do I pick one or do you pick it for me? Let me know, thanks. ;)

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Its definitely red. its in all my tags, my usernames, my gamertag, everything. I think its bold and powerful. Its sometimes hard to read though, so that's why I'm using orange since it's a little easier
I've wanted to join the smash lab for a long time, I actually believe I applied during the last application process. I have a strong interest in the deeper unknown qualities of characters and their attack mechanics.
Well actually, I've done extensive research on characters attacks and strings that aren't really given much thought. I also look into character and stage mechanics when they interact with each other in odd ways.
No, the frame data I usually need is already posted. If not, I'd usually ask someone like A2Zomg or Ankoku, people who do that kind of stuff normally. I could get it if I wanted to though
The findings that I reveal are primarily made in posts, normally because my findings relate to Ganondorf and we're such a family over there that we can just talk to each other and not make a big deal about something. If there's a find, all of us know about it as soon as one of us know about it. We commonly talk on our xat, but on a more specific note, I have spent many hours researching Infinite second jump set ups with multiple characters, b-reversal momentum mechanics and character/stage walljump recovery movements. I also work on legitimate combos and frame traps on specific characters.

Yes and yep
As much as needed man, yesterday I literally spent probably two and a half hours on different footstool setups that (I'm pretty sure) haven't been done or used. I'm pretty up to date on the technical aspects of brawl and it's characters, so it's pretty safe to say what I work on is new.

As someone who lives in an isolated region (Delaware lulz), I spend a lot of my time in training working on new theories I have or ones people have asked me to look in to. My mind is always trying to find new ways to new options, and I'm very excited for you to consider me for a position. I'm really looking forward to a response, thanks for the time.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
*What is your favorite color?
This is valid how??????
Anyways, it is this color.

*Why do you want to join the Smash Lab?
Because I can and I wanted to a while back so why not now?

hmmmmmmm......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5tuTxpwIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUhS8RQrOU4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKtKNHTbWuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiAg0sozXE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM9t-tt9K6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUP7i8vjflk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4eTFNYlaV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdzABnFohLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uf4lVpn3l8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_g3bUJrNNw
and then with the help of others (WoodyWiggins, Tommy_G and PFANT) we discovered this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obXNADBzbto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj_RyiMkxC0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcrtM_e89Nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxfDxX_j8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbApWVcoWBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVK_8vgXK6c (still don't understand it... not really a qualification, but still)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjvD8DRh9CY
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231373
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246163
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252263 (and idea)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258342
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258914
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258920
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255436
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245427
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271621 (not my thread, but I answered it with some research that I had done)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245363

*Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
I never collected any frame data. However, I showed EAST how to collect it by hacking.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248288

*Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.

*Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
I have access to a Wii.
I use to hack, but it has been a while. Honestly, I can't even remember how to do it and my Wii isn't hacked anymore.
I did hack some of links moves and showed which hit bubbles on his d-tilt spiked.

*How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?
This varies.... probably not a huge amount.

*Now as your optional Admission Project you will create a completed frame map
Uhhhhhh... a frame map?

I'll contribute to this cause.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
  • Electric Green. Although i've come to liking Blue and Yellow, somewhat.

• To contribute in any way i possibly can.

• Unfortunately, i haven't any Frame Data to present. I hope to get accurate Frame Data on Bdacus timing and such, examples such as this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285164

• Yes, Homebrew and hacks. I have yet to implement Stack Smash and such, but if it is of requirement, by all means, i can have them applied.

• As much as necessary.

• Now as your optional Admission Project you will create a completed frame map
  • I'll send you a PM request when my application is reviewed and a reply has been made to me. Thank you for you time.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh cool, applications are open again, so it looks like I will not need to send a Private Message.

Hi there, I'm Kinzer, I'll be 18 in October and I reside in the city of Las Vegas, Nevada. This is my application for the Smash Researchers and I thank you for taking to the to look through my résumé.

I find myself liking Blue, Green, and a combination of of the two.

I wish to further my knowledge of smash; in the hopes of learning more about this game, educating others on what I have learned, and to advance Sonic's metagame to the very limits of the game's programming. I also want to be of assistance with any projects I can take on.

I have collected frame data for specific attacks of several characters. Mainly Sonic, but to mention others:

1. Lucario
  2. Pit
  3. Falco
  4. Zero Suit Samus

None of them are public or wide-spread, but for example, I have found out that Falco's Jab -> grab is mainly a mix-up and isn't guaranteed, Lucario's DTilt is not safe on-block, Pit has a chaingrab on Snake, Sonic's D-Throw is mostly bad and you should feel bad for using it when it is bad, and Zero Suit Samus' jab is worse than you think (as if it couldn't get any worse).

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259275

Forgive me, this is the only project of mine that I have publicly posted and completed 100%. Even then, it's still missing data for when the opponent is above 0% in damage; but I figured that by then the opponent would lose their frame-advantage, in some cases start getting a disadvantage, and I just wanted to grab the data that tells what's the absolute most punishable Sonic's Down Throw is.

I get data on request, usually full-blown projects like this are Sonic-specific, and take me quite a while to get every single detail down. I can refer you to people who have benefited from my work if need-be.

While I may not have been the original person to discover some of these more abstract physics abuses/glitches, I have put up a couple of videos that demonstrate the use of these techniques. Once again however, they only pertain to Sonic's perspective, I have not gathered much, if any data for other characters because nobody asked me to get it for them, or the character doesn't benefit from the technique at all.

The Flying Battery.

Just one of a couple of videos pertaining to Sonic's "invincible Spin Dash Roll" on Transformation stages.

The miracle of having an attack that doesn't send opponent's into a tumble next to a wall.

Homebrew is how I am able to access debug mode and get number-crunches. My Wii is fully operational and is a ready source of experimentation when needed.

My weekends are free 85% of the time, and anytime after 5 o' clock PST is a good time for me to look into things. I would be able to put a lot of time into the Smash Lab.

Now as your optional Admission Project you will create a completed frame map.
Forgive me, but that is outside my field of knowledge.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Well after a long time it was solely red, but recently I decided I like both blue(Cyan in particular since I love Rosalina lol) and red. I usually enjoy posting in cyan but if will disturb others in the group I'll gladly leave my posts in default white.

The major foundation to my applying now is my pure enjoyment of aiding others. I love contributing to communities I feel are important and I'm willing to put time and effort into doing that. As a small story when I was doing my own personal study for the Peach boards I went several days of working on my project. It was tough, but at the end when I completed my work I had a great sense of accomplishment and I felt I really enjoyed the experience of research as a whole. I'm going to admit now my knowledge will be limited in some areas, but I'm willing to put the work in to learn what I need. I hope be to a helpful addition to your group.

I admit now I do not have many. What I do hold dearly as my best accomplishments as related to smash information is specifically what pertains to my character who is Peach and my current state Florida. I published a major breakthrough(well major to the Peach mains) on what is regarded as a drastically useful advanced technique known as the Free-pull. Here is the original thread if you wish to take a look:

Free Pulling: Cracked

As for my region, in July I successfully applied to Mankosuki for management of a major piece of historical information to my state which happens to be Florida. As you may know Florida is a very known state among the smash scene currently. Months and years of archived information is stored there and I wanted to aid and managing and adding to it. It requires attention which I do my best to give it. A small project I'm working now is archiving all video footage of currently active players as I say here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11309427&postcount=12366

further inspection into the thread may reveal a little less enthusiasm than I had hoped for haha, but I feel it'll be an important contribution to the community at some point in the future which is why I use my personal time to gather all known footage. Like I say later on "it can be interesting to see how you've grown/changed as a player from '08 to now." You can check my progress if you'd like here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1357192&postcount=7

I wanted to do Galeon on the second of Oct., but I decided to do him later today haha.

As sad as I am to say I'm not particular adept in that area of smash. I did use previously gathered Peach frame data from my boards' valuable member hotgarbage in my research for the Peach technique I previously mentioned and I made sure to credit him for my use. I'm willing to learn what I can in this field if it's needed to be a useful and contributing member of the group.

Any useful findings and information I've done in my personal smash studies and work is listed under the qualifications question.

EDIT: I know my Free Pulling thread is a tad long so if you didn't see some of the footage I published as a result of my study here are the links:

Example: Non-Bstick Free Pulling (1) (2)

My wii has been extensively hacked. I've had a long history with Homebrew and experienced/learned about Brawl hacking through my friend GHNeko who has become a major contributor to Smash Development. I'm proud of him x3. I've played around with smash mods starting way back with early development releases of Brawl+(at Neko's encouragement to me and several other old friends lol). I have an SD card and two USB sticks which I've used in learning USB loading. I backup load my copy of brawl due to the commonly known fact Brawl's Double layer DVD degrades wii lenses over time.(which is what happened to mine). Unfortunately this leaves me out of Riivolution use as their dev team has made it expressly known that they will not support backup loading due to potential piracy.(I do own and still my personal copy of brawl along with my backup)

EDIT: I would also like to quickly point out that I have a capture card that offers very decent quality. If needed I'll gladly help publish anyone's work by recording any replays for the group.(not really experienced with video editing though. I can transfer the video over to the user with experience in that.) I place videos up promptly and will even upload to a channel other than my own if requested. I currently freely offer a reply recording service to the Peach boards as well as any players in my state. Here's a link to video's I've uploaded if you wish to check video quality and such:

http://www.youtube.com/user/2link121#g/u

Alright, as embarrassing/strange as it might be to reveal this. Look at my post date/time. I'm going to say I live within the Eastern Time Zone haha. As you can see I'm no strange to using my time for anything important to me. As of right now I'm a part time college student and can easily work to my personal time. As I said before I'm willing to learn what is needed to properly contribute to the group.

Now as your optional Admission Project you will create a completed frame map
Even though I said I had no previous experience in Frame Data I'm honestly going to take a look at the resources to see how this would've been done. Please don't see this as a suck up attempt. Strange as it may be to say this it honestly looks a bit fun to learn lol.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Probably blue.

Because game mechanics has always interested me, I love messing with it and figuring out how it works, and a few members who shall not be named have been bugging me to try out.

I have a bit of experience in PSA and hacking and have done quite a bit of frame data research in the past, but other than that I guess not much.

I did the data for advantage on block for most of Lucario's moves (including aura), but I only published around half of them.

I've discovered a few minor things like hydrojabbing with Squirtle and applying the use of c-sticks to aid the turning on FireFox/Firebird, but I haven't really discovered anything major. I've made quite a few very minor stuff though. For one, I started the trend of using a flash to color a character blue during invincibility frames back when the character hitbubble pacs were just starting to be made...

Yes, I do.

Quite a bit. I'm homeschooled as of now and a senior, so I have quite a lot of free time.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Pink, but this goes with my avatar better. (I already know the point of this question.. it's a somewhat irrelevant question to see how many people say cyan because of the color of Smash Researchers...:p)

I love to figure out how this game works. Knowing how something works means I can take it apart and analyze it, finding the best ways to cause or to get around an issue. Knowledge is power.

Considering the next two questions, I'm unsure why this question is listed. I like to figure out how things work... as you can see in this thread

At some point I had quit Smash, when I did many things were left unfinished.... I was also counting frames, which left some margin for error. :ohwell:

Pit Frame Data:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243314

C. Falcon Frame Data:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216778

Snake Frame Data:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242407

I don't remember remember doing Pikachu:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236406

Snake Grab Releases:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236239

I do not take credit for all information gathered, but I did gather a large portion of it in this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208045

With the help of Velox and Spudz:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235804

Horribly organized, but more on air grab releases:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240588

Cancelling Projectiles with Snake's Utilt :laugh:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242374

Link's BAL: (Discovery of sorts)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198438

NOTE WHEN THIS WAS POSTED! This information could very well be wrong....
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212375

DACIT thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212159

I have a huge thread on Pivot Walking as well, but can't find it. so I'll stop here.

Once I hook it up today, yes. I have Homebrew installed, but no way to update my SD card for hacks currently. :( Need to find my camera's usb cord.

Roughly 2-3 hours a day, more depending on my schedule/how fast other things get done.

[qupte]Now as your optional Admission Project you will create a completed frame map [/quote]
Optional.... :embarrass lack the know-how to do this .

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
Green.

I want to join so that i can contribute somehow to the community, I also mostly just want to be known for something, and to get better, since my worst point is knowing about frame data and technical things I think this could help me improve, especially since if I'm doing research myslef it will be easier for me to remember the information.

One time I posted something on aib about timings for different chars for ganons tipman bounce, it was already discovered like a year before(I don't take any credit for it, ppl on aib seemed to think I was trying to, and I cant remember who discovered it..) and it was mostly found to be almost useless, since the opponent can just tech his dair, even though I didnt discover it, and the results probably help nothing, this shows I can take time to research things, since it took a few hours to do.

No

Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so,
please present them.

Not exactly, i could post a link to what I tried to research with the tipman bounce but I can't get onto aib right now since it wont load.

Yes, although i recently have been only allowed to play on weekends, although it may change. Yes, i have Homebrew.

I spend all my free time playing brawl or watching or reading about it online, i currently can't play on weekdays, but i can spend at least a few hours on it every weekend, it may be more or less depending on if i have a lot of work.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux

Blue

Instant Ethos in terms of Persuasion. Also, I prefer to keep my discussions revolving around the metaphysical ideals of the game rather than what certain players perceive as ideal. In order to avoid the epistemological stumbles of such empirical perception, hard research and data comes in. The best way to help spread the use of this hard data as an ideal rather than perception would be to join the smash lab.

* What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?

If you ask most Ice Climber mains, they'll testify to level of metagame advancement I attempt to do. For the most part, I take other researcher's data (usually EA) and expand upon it where I see it's applicable. I would post some of the research convo's we've had from skype, but that would amount to serious spam. I try to keep the level of analysis elevated. as best I can.

I have yet to collect any frame data because the Ice Climbers for the most part rely on EA for that. He's been pretty extensive with his research, but there are a few upcoming projects that I'd be willing to help him with in terms of data.

This is probably my most important work as of late: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286235
This is an example of a typical post I make when discussing things: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11262440&postcount=2
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LegendofLux?feature=mhum

Yes. Yes as of recently.

I intend to split my brawl time to 1.5 hour of research and 1.5 hour of practice a day. So that would average about 10 hours a week, minus tournaments.

I'm not going to make a frame map unless I'm specifically testing for something sorry :\ Good thing it's "optional" right?

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the situation. I mainly like earth tones.

There have been some things that I have seen and found, that have never really been researched. I would like to figure out why these findings exist and if possible, expand them to character specific gameplay.

*What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Reserach?
N/A

*Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
N/A

*Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.

Findings w/ Links
Flinch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJPmyYBQ2CQ
Pivotboost - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuRFSCD8YmQ
Run Cancel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnHUNZl3yhM
Small Pivot applications - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvFYmWUcpJs&NR=1
Wavedash (Short Dash) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDWJZBDu9I&feature=related At the end, with Fox's Laser.

Findings w/o Links
Boost Fall
No Vids but it's easy to do.
Link - Short hop bair, Air dodge
Mario - Short hop bair, Air dodge
- Short hop dair, Air dodge
DK - Short hop bair, Air dodge
- Short hop nair, Air dodge
Sonic - Short hop fair, Air dodge

This technique does a multitude of small things to gameplay, but it mainly brings you to the ground quicker, which in some situations creates awesome combo potential.

Ending Aerial Animation
How to do:
Wait until the character is just about to hit the ground, and perform an aerial so that the aerial is skipped and only the landing frames comes out.

Examples include, Mario's bair, Diddy's fair, Lucas's fair.

Most aerial animations have ending frames that are lower than a crouch. Some of these also have frames that end quickly or no frames at all.

*Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
Wii, yes. Hacks, no.

Well I'm fairly busy, work and school. I mainly have two days a week (weekends).

Sieguest

Smash Master
It's green (despite me using yellow).

Simply put, it appeals to me. I've always felt like I've had a knack for figuring things out. I plan on majoring in CS when I go off to college in the next few months so crunching numbers and looking and interpreting data is something I've developed a knack for.

I do have this(which has been updated recently). Other IC players that regularly post in the IC skype group chat can also attest to some of the math I do to further some of the research discussion that happens in there.

No. I'm not able to collect frame data primarily because my wii isn't hacked (no SD card). I do have plans to invest in one in the near future. Also I mostly rely on springboarding from what others have found and using math to look into other things. However once I do hack my wii I'll definitely be pulling more raw data if needed.

None, for the same reason as mentioned above.

My wii is easily accessible, but I do not have access to hacks as of right now, I plan on coming into possession of an SD card soon to get hacks so that will change.

A lot. My homework load is manageable and after I finish it, the rest of the day/evening is open for me.

I'll get it done as soon as I'm able to. (I suppose I PM you for details)

Xaltis

Smash Hero
My favorite colors are like red pink and light blue, but of course I would like the light blue name if that's what your asking.

I feel it's my responsibility as the best Falco in FL to join the Smash Lab and share what I can about the character. Also to learn even more stuff about the character and help the other Falco mains out there who are always asking me to contribute some stuff to them. I haven't been doing that too much, but this seems like a good place to start.

Not sure if I know 100% what the question is asking. But from what I think it's asking, I have no experience in Smash Research.

I dont have any at the moment but If I need to I could look for some and post them here.

I don't have links but I know alot about Falco and the stages he plays on and would be willing to share them here.

Yes I do have my own wii, I usually do a bunch of hacks on my wii such as textures music stage replacements PSA brawl and other stuff. I have the most hacked wii in FL.

I usually have ALOT of free time, so I would be able to contribute alot to the Smash Lab.

I could, and I might depends on what happens after this application.

Dnyce

Smash Master
*What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Reserach?
*Green, though I think colors like yellow and blue are especially attractive on women ;o Colors between 465-590 nm would be an accurate range.
*Sounded fun / Lux said it would be something along my lines of interest. I also heard the cappuccino machine in the lounge is for you guys only and am tired of the granulated, decaf BS the rest of us have to drink to get through work.
*In terms of like scientific method research? Very little I suppose. I've only done a little frame-by-frame testing toward match specific, and only for Olimar. Usually for trolling, since being right feels good... like the frame break-down showing that Olimar can whistle Luigi's jab1-shoryuken, which I cannot seem to find... too many banned accounts, :awesome:
IMO, if it's possible, it's worth practicing. If not, it's time to look at alternative options.

Random works of poetry:
Deflowred: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224450
Ghost Pikmin: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243229
Ghost Pikmin video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K7Vy66hOOI
**had strep that week, definitely not my voice x.x
Comprehensive guide on Olimar vs Ike: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=280743

Also had my hand in a lot of olimar-related mechanic discoveries, but I can't claim that I did the frame testing on any of it. Like how frames on pikmin-pluck is stage dependent, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287795 or the infamous Shy-guy Canceling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouO0JsqiXrU which I can't find the thread for :shyguy: :shyguy:

I mean... aside from the random "ayo, it's richbrown here coming to tell you that utilt beats falco's side B and guarantees a c-stick follow up, thus changes the MU entirely for everyone" sunshine and flowers... anything Olimar related... I've been there .-.
Instant return - didn't find out, discovered you can JC it
Pluck cancel dashes - discovered, had hilt frame test it, showed to be faster pivoting than shield
Rosa Parks - helped discover
Pikmincide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY61c9-IdBA @ 3:45, to this day... still haven't been able to pull it off in a tournament match :( Led to better understanding of the mechanics of Olimar's grab... and explanation for a lot of dumb grab-related bull**** like freeze glitches.
Uthrow glitch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxZO1qkqjfM though, I find most of the best discoveries are complete accidents... such as what happened around 2:28. Complete accident in the match, but I ended up primitively figuring out the mechanics to it.

etc.

* Yes, I have a Wii - it's black =D and yeah, I have homebrew.
* I have infinite time for anything related to Olimar, otherwise I could care less tbqh :awesome:

EDIT: upon lux's request here's my AiB http://allisbrawl.com/profile/Dnyce.ai
supposedly posting that helps? lol *confused*

Malcolm.O

Smash Cadet

Easily, Dark Blue

To assist the Smash community in anyway I can.

I've only done some frame rate data testing with MK.

None

None

Yes I can access my Wii and anytime and have access to all hacks

5 Hours + A day

Well it is optional.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

Purple. It's soothing, helps me think. But I lean more towards lavender than an sort of darker purple.

I sat down with Lux at Pound 5 and was showing him some of the ROB ATs I've developed as he was showing me some of the frame data discoveries he's ran across when he recommended that I check out the Smash Lab. I see many pluses that I can gain from this involving evolving my character (ROB) and hopefully help evolving the game altogether.

Nothing frame data wise [yet], but I have made a handful of discoveries with the character I play which I will provide links in a later question.

No. I've never gotten my hands on anything to gather frame data with, but when I do, I'm sure I'll be quite the frame data enthusiast.

Like before, nothing frame data wise, but you might find these interesting:

Ledge Boosting
Forced Air Releasing
Boost Hogging

Mhm.

A great deal.

-----------------

Really hope to get accepted =]
<beep3

Tin Man

Smash Hero
So this is where the magic happens eh?

This is the Application Thread:
In order to become a Smash Lab member you must have proven that you are a reliable and knowledgeable member of SWF.
One of the things I have to support myself is me making it into the BBR during the 3rd application phase.

Cyan :awesome: *and I'm serious, it really is*.

I started contributing to the Stage Analysis Project in the BBR. In order to contribute, I had to do some research. That being said, I decided to look at some stages that received little input at all. I'll post what I had to say below. Upon doing and finishing my research, I realized how much I actually enjoyed it. This encouraged me to seek other opportunities to do research for Brawl.

This is where the Smash Lab comes in. A formal place where I can contribute to projects sounds quite amazing. It also peeked my interest while reading the Unity Ruleset discussion that the Smash Lab is doing research on Sonic's Homing Attack stall. This type of project really interests me. To know that projects like this are going on, I'd be more than happy to be given to opportunity to participate.

Mostly what I've done in the BBR. This is a new interest for me, and I'm more than willing to do more of it due to how fun it has proved to be for me :bee:

Frame data unfortunately is not something I've gotten around to :(. As much as I like studying frame data and could tall you a lot about my main (Olimar in case you didn't notice lol).

Indeed I do :). Here is what started it all for me:

[collapse=Quote #1]
Platforms:

There are Wolfens and Arwings that can be borded. Each of them shoot leasers. The Arwing's does 12% while the Wolfen does 6% of damage. These lasers never stale. Both ships can flip upside down therefore caking it impossible to stand on them.

For the most part the fly in from the right to the left but they may fly in from left to right or from back to front. There is a distinct sound effect that plays when the Arwing has entered the arena. They can carry players offstage when they're route is complete.The sound effect that plays may or may not be different for the Arwing or the Wolfen. I'm not entirely sure.

There is also a platform on the bottom left. This platform is the main weapon of the great fox. This platform can only be stood on for a short period of time. The laser that shoots is a timed laser, not random. It starts firing 17 seconds into the game (x:43) then it fires every 27 seconds

(x:43)
(x:17)
(x-1:50)
(x-1:23)
etc.

The weapon will sometimes fire multiple lasers or it will fire a single laser. This seems to be random from what I can tell. At 1st the weapon charges up. It then takes 6 seconds to charge before it fires lasers. The lasers them self do not hurt you if you are standing on the platform. Only the charge for the laser hurts you. The charge for the laser stops leaving about a 3 second window to land on the platform safely.

The single laser does 30% of damage, the multiple lasers seem to do 5% of damage each., as well as the charge does 30% of damage. The knock back is far to strong for all hit boxes and is therefore an auto kill regardless of character. The hit stun doesn't seem to be that much since it is possible to move with any character before flying off the blast zone.

The final property of this platform is that it has a hurt box. It is therefor possible to unstale moves on it.
The platform can be destroyed . it took 29 Uairs from MK starting from a fresh one to destroy the platform. This equals to 92-94% damage. This makes the platform unable to fire weapons and it destroys the platform therefore not making one able to stand on it

Ledges: There are only 3. 2 on the right, 1 on the left.

Walk-Offs: There are none really. Just when the Arwing/Wolfen carry you off stage, then i guess technically you can walk off that lol.

Stationary Walls: Theres the wall on the right hand side. It allows for all sorts of infinites that can be abused with a wall. It also allows for Ike to Fthrow over and over to a significant kill percent.

And yeah, it has a low ceiling. Forgot to mention that :p
[/collapse]

and ;)

[collapse=Quote #2]
There are 4 game states in this stage

Fire
Chef
Oil Panic
Lion

The game always starts in the Fire state. I will refer to this as the neutral state. This is because the stage transformations occur like this:

Fire
Chef
Fire
Oil Panic
Fire
Lion
Fire

The point being is that, the stage must go back to the Fire state before selecting a new state.

The game changes state around every 25-30 seconds. It proved to be rather difficult to tell the exact second the stage changes, hence this approximation. However the stage offers warning every single time before it changes state.

Source: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Flat_Zone_2

Different alarm elements signify that the stage is about to change.
Fire: A fireman appears in the top right ringing a bell.
Oil Panic: A policeman appears in the top right ringing a bell.
Lion: A panther in the top left corner rings a bell.
Chef: A kettle appears to the left boiling to steaming point. The steam is in the shape of a bell.
The stage will go through all of its various states before selecting a new pattern. The order in which the pattern appears is random, but if Oil Panic and Lion were selected, then it is guaranteed that Chef will be the 3rd state. Thats all as far as stage transitions, now on to the specifics of each state.

Fire:

The stage starts off with a certain number of platforms. The places where these platforms appear and the amount seem to be random. The platforms will appear on either one, two, or three of the 3 different elevation levels offered on this stage. Sometimes a man will appear to create another platform beside a platform that already exists.. Sometimes there will be no platforms, and sometimes when there aren't any platforms, Firemen appear with a trampoline than characters can jump on (and it also eliminates the helpless state and restores your jumps). On the right hand side of the stage, there is a building that offers 4 different platforms. The Fire state is significant for being the main state and it is significant for having no hazzards what so ever.

Oil Panic:

This state has 2 platforms that are similar in size. The main characteristic of this state is the man and the woman walking around on the bottom. If either one is attacked, The player will suffer 13% of damage. Their hurt box appears when they are in a distinct pose. As long as that pose is out, the hurt box exists. The Man's hurt box appears on instantly (what seems to be the 1st frame of getting hit), while the woman's has a bit of a delay. The knock back doesn't seem to great at all. It should kill a MK regardless of DI at like 140%

Lion:

The defining property of this state are the Lion tamers that appear on either end. They deal 12% of damage when a players hurtbox comes in contact with them. They're knockback is set to the direction their facing. Its a guaranteed kill on MK at like 120% regardless of DI. It is possible to be trapped between the 2 tamers and travel back and forth without being able to do anything at all. This trap happens to MK at 48% where the knock back carries him too far to avoid the other tamer on the other side. the tamers will only move in one of 3 position so there are safe zones on this stage. There are 3 levels of platforms which always appear in the same position.

Chef:

Projectiles are flying from top to bottom on this state. The projectiles do 8% of damage regardless which one it is. The knock back is extremely weak. Would kill MK regardless of DI at about 180% There are 2 platforms that always appear in the same positions. Theres another part of this state that is unique. The Chef can be killed. I'm not exactly sure how much health the chef has but once the Chef is killed, the stage changes prematurely (before the alarm can go off).

Every state has a walk off, so characters like DDD can abuse this against people he can Chain grab. Even characters like Diddy (naner lock) Falco, ICs, and Pikachu (chaingrab's) can abuse this element of the stage.
[/collapse]

Yes and Yes :cool:

As much as necessary. I think I'll be having a lot of fun with this so thats definitely encouragement!

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

Navy blue. Always has, always will be. Royal Blue (same thing?) is best for legibility though.

I'd like to find a subforum where Brawl is cut up, dissected, analysed, and displayed for all to see. Previously, that was the Workshop BR, but it's dead now, so I'm moving on to the new best thing.

I was a stage hacker in the Brawl+ Back Room, back before stage hacking was 'in' and easy to do without having to hex edit everything [/hipster]. I currently gravitate more toward stage debate and discussion.

Sadly, I can't do frame data (no gcc = no frame advance). I can however run emulated Brawl, and therefore run Brawl at speeds as slow as 2.5 fps, which is almost like a speedy frame advance, no?

Plenty of stuff, some old and some new (I was way more active back in the Brawl+ days, the old links are to show how productive I can be, not how productive I currently am):
Frame Analysis of Fox's Ideal Grab Release Chaingrab
Control Scheme Analysis
[Outdated] Mechanics of Lylat Cruise (I also did some work on the newer Lylat thread, cracking the switch pattern)
Snapshot Hacking Tutorial
[Way Old] Kirby Matchup Thread (I am so proud that we managed to get through every matchup. We were probably the first character board to do so)

I also know a bit of basic BrawlBox, which is where my avi came from. I'm a pretty active stage debater as well, but I don't want to search through a bunch of threads to find one or two good posts. :/

In the coming few weeks, no, but after that, yes to the Wii and yes to hacks (besides frame advance, as noted previously)

An hour a day at minimum, and probably more when I'm needed. I spend more than enough time on SWF as it is, I might as well be productive with it.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
'Ello! I'm DJ Jack, and this is my application for the Smash Lab.

I would have to say turquoise. Actually, any shade of blue is lovely, really.

*Why do you want to join the smash lab?

I am interested in joining because the Smash Lab consists of people who figure out how and why things work in Smash. I enjoy playing Brawl and I would want to find and share information regarding the mechanics so other smashers have a better understanding of the game. Aside from that, I'm sure there's information that I would be interested to know as well, so that's always a plus.

*What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?

I can't say I'm over-qualified or under-qualified when it comes to Smash Research, but I've written a few stage guides and matchup guides in the Falco boards already. To be honest, I recently decided to really take the time to study my character and stages. I'm not exceptional at it, but I have the time and knowledge to provide whatever information and data I can.

*Do you have any links to any Frame Data you've collected? If so, please present them.

At the moment, I'm not experienced in collecting Frama Data, unfortunately. Needless to say, though, I'm willing to learn what I can so that I may contribute to the boards and other members of the Smash Lab.

I only really found a means of being able to "lock" your opponent with Falco's reflector in the tree in Pokemon Stadium 1. It may not be useful in-game, but I thought it was an interesting find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkwk3dWVMQ#t=2m39s

^Here's a link to the video if you're interested to see.

Yes, I own a Wii and a copy of Brawl. I also have Homebrew on it and have been meaning to try out "Frame Advance".

I have a lot of free time, believe it or not, so I can contribute quite a bit.

As I mentioned before, I have no experience when it comes to collecting Frame Data, but I'll take the time to research the information and complete whatever task you throw at me.

Blue, somewhat close to the font I'm using.
To have another platform to share knowledge from, that knowledge coming from my own research of stages.
Mainly a bunch of work I've done regarding stage research and Toon Link research in order to clarify certain facts. A major focus of my work hasn't been much on discovering things so much as it has been compiling data and presenting it in the best way I see fit, whether it be making a thread outlining stage mechanics, to organizing all my knowledge of TL into a mentoring session.

I haven't collected any frame data on anything. Smash hacking isn't my forte, although it's a field that I'd like to explore.

Research on Bomb Blocks in Green Greens
Clarifying a point on Rudder Stalling, as well as video proof in the next post
Small Overview on Big Blue
Research on YI:B's support ghost Frequency
Research on YI:B's Support Ghost Positioning
Presenting work on Toon Link's hitbubbles

I feel as if those are enough, but if anything else is needed, contact me and I'll link you to more stuff.
I own both a hacked Wii and Brawl, and have easy access to it. I don't have many hacks installed atm, but I'll have access to them when the moment calls for them.

I'm on the site everyday, and I actually enjoy researching certain things, so I guess I can commit quite a bit to the Smash Lab.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
I would say electric blue. I like it because it sends good thoughts into my mind.

*Why do you want to join the smash lab?

I would like to join the smash lab because I found it interesting to see what was going on. So through this I can learn more knowledge, and so I can share a lot of knowledge nobody knows. Or is very confused about so I can explain.
*What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?

I can't say I'm 100% qualified or 10% qualified when it comes to Smash Research, but on the falco boards/and off the boards i,ve been studying on what falco can do on which ever stages. I have contributed lots of information for the boards. Also I have been testing theries about each character. (I will post info on each board stage disscusion).

Do you have any links to any Frame Data you've collected? If so, please present them.

At the moment no, but on the falco boards there is frame data. But I do have the hit bubbles.http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259452&highlight=falco+hitbubbles&page=2. And the video,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1k-I_bo6A.

Yes. here is the link for stage information and mecahnics.http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307804&page=2

Yes I have brawl. Homebrew chanel. Geko.
Yes, I have a lot of free time to help and contribute to the Smash Lab, but for the time being i'll be helping falco boards and other boards.

I have no idea how to make that.

Top Bottom