• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab - Applications

Veril

Frame Savant
What happened to you!
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.
And we're out of beta.
We're releasing on time.
So I'm GLaD. I got burned.
Think of all the things we learned
for the people who are still alive.
Go ahead and leave me.
I think I prefer to stay inside.
Maybe you'll find someone else to help you.
Maybe Black Mesa
THAT WAS A JOKE.
HAHA. FAT CHANCE.
Anyway, this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist.
Look at me still talking
when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.
I've experiments to run.
There is research to be done.
On the people who are still alive.
And believe me I am still alive.
I'm doing Science and I'm still alive.
I feel FANTASTIC and I'm still alive.

Mystgan

Smash Rookie
What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is black
Why do you want to join the Smash Lab?
so I can learn more of my character and to share my findings with people
What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Reserach?
no I do not have qualifications
Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
no I do not
Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
no
Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
yes, and I have homebrew
How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?
as much time need it, cause have free time and I give my time when its need it

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Do you have both skype and a google account? (you may answer yes/no if you want to keep your information private until after your admission has processed)

No. I do not have a skype account at the moment. However, I have a google account. (darksinji@live.com).

I want to join the smash Lab to discuss about frame data, stage mechanics, auto cancelling data and new discoveries that has yet to be found. Also I would like to add that I want to contribute data and work as a team in the lab. Finally I would like to join to discuss the frame advantages from each character.

If admitted to the Lab, would you be more interested in working on studying in-game mechanics or helping write character specific guides? Why?

I would be interested on helping write character specific guides. The reason for this is to explain match up data in depth and help other users achieve certain goals in the game. Also it would be very exciting to guide other users about character mechanics.

What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?

I do not have a previous qualification at the moment.

What qualities do you possess which you feel will make you an asset to future Smash Lab projects?

The qualities that I possess would be character specific data. For example, I am aware that Marth has a chain grab-release to spike (or slight step Fsmash) on Squirtle.

Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.

I do not have any links to any Frame Data at the moment.

Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.

I Have not collected any links or findings at the moment.

Are there any factors we should take into consideration in addition to this application?

Their are a couple of factors
1: I am experienced and knowledgeable about several matchups.
2: I am also experienced on working as a team to accomplish a goal.

Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)

Yes. I have accessibility to a Wii. Yes. I have accessibility to common hacks. The most common hack I use is Project Melee.

The average time I can commit to the smash would be 2-5 hours.

Now as your optional Admission Test what area will you be willling to create a completed frame map in?

The area I would be willing to create would most likely be character maps (preferably input maps)

| Big D |

Smash Master
Hello, my account is MarioMaster2005 but I go to tournaments under "Big D"

Do you have both skype and a google account? (you may answer yes/no if you want to keep your information private until after your admission has processed)
Yes I do.

I feel as if though there are a lot more techniques that people should be utilizing more. My goal is to find them and bring the out into the open. I have found some myself that I personally use.

If admitted to the Lab, would you be more interested in working on studying in-game mechanics or helping write character specific guides? Why?
This is a tough question, as I feel that while in-game mechanics are huge and is what pushes the meta game further, knowing how to deal with situations in game is just as important. I would have to sat in-game mechanics as I will be able to find new things that i can apply to my game, as well as the smash community.

Finding setups into certain locks but that is it.

What qualities do you possess which you feel will make you an asset to future Smash Lab projects?
I love this game, had it since launch and still love it. I am real dedicated to smash. I have lots of free time and I really want to have an impact in some small way if I can, I'm really interested in any form of AT, no matter how obscure. I popularized the happy ending technique at my last tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4DOrgNbZyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvteuWVmns

Are there any factors we should take into consideration in addition to this application?
I do believe that my tech skill may be something to consider. I learned the single nana lock in 15 minutes on Diddy and using Diddy. I can CG with Wario and have learned every obscure infinite I can. This includes ZSS dsmash lock on Rob, QAC Lock, Peach's Bair lock on Wario, and every infinite from a grab(with the exception of the fhanfus loop and DDD's pivot grab, that proved too much, but eager to learn).

I do have access to common hacks such as riivolution, gecko os, etc. I always have access to my wii except on special occasions such as trips to other places. I do have a capture card on which I can record if necessary.

I am new to competitive Brawl, but not new to the community. I have recently started attending tournaments and have placed moderately well. I have beaten PR'd players and I'm sure many of them can vouch for me.

I have a lot of free time.

Now as your optional Admission Test what area will you be willling to create a completed frame map in?
I'd be willing to create one out of guaranteed follow ups from Wario's tire.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
1. Do you have both skype and a google account?

Skype Account: Stephen.Bamidele
Google Account: Syonryoken@gmail.com

2. Why do you want to join Smash Lab?

I would love to join Smash Labs because I have already invested time researching this game.I would love to work with a group of people that wish to break down the game engine in order to better our community.

3. What previous qualifications do you have in Smash Research?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13518139#post13518139
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312546
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312547
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312549

4. What qualities do you possess that would make you an asset to future Smash Labs Projects?

I actually want to get things done. I know a myriad of top leve players as friends who would be capable of testing out the praticality of tactics found. I am level headed and believe that my knowledge of the game as a whole allows me to see the importance of even the minute findings. I believe from coversing with different boards, I know what needs to be looked at, and what information is needed push certain metagames along. I can converse with people in a proper manner so as to showcase Smash Labs in a good light. I can lead and follow. I am man of passion for whatever I do, yet its not something that will overtake me and deter me from working with my peers.

5. Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.

See #3

6. Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.

No

7. Are there any factors we should take into consideration in addition to this application?

I was referred by Delux to apply, after discussing with him Option Selects and their praticality.

8. Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)

yes.

9. How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?

I am a Bio Chem Major. However, I truly believe you can always find time to do things. It took me probably 20 mins to find OS and find praticality for characters. It took me an hr total of work to start up 4 Frame Trap Compendiums. Its not about time imo. Its about actually coming together and getting work done properly.

10. Now as your optional Admission Test what area will you be willling to create a completed frame map in?

Do you have both skype and a google account?I have a google account, but my skype account I have not used for so long I no longer remember the password, username, or email associated with it. Creating a new skype account won't be an issue.

[FONT=&quot]I'd like to help further my own knowledge of the game and the characters I play. Additionally, I hope to gain access to a social circle of those who are also knowledgeable about the game. The results of my own effort I hope will be beneficial to others about the game and improve the quality of their tournament performance. It is also a hope to further clear up misconceptions that sprout up in the game and being able to validate or reject certain hypothesis’. [/FONT]

As I mentioned above, I am very interested in attempting to improve the meta game with Falco and Snake in whatever ways possible. This can mean either getting more in-depth specifically with Falco and Snake, but very often it will include looking at other characters and how they interact with Falco and Snake. The same can be applied to in-game mechanics and stages.

As far as I can tell, there are no set in stone criteria for becoming involved with smash research. All it should take is an attitude to want to solve questions that present themselves to you and learn the necessary skills needed to solve said questions. Each question is unique in its own right and many times I have found I needed to acquire new skills or knowledge to come to a solution or answer.

Having said this, the only qualifications I feel I can present are the skills and knowledge I have accumulated throughout the past couple of years looking at Smash. As well as a willingness and drive to obtain new skills/knowledge to create a means to an end.

From an desk job perspective, I have experience working with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and more complicated paint programs such as SumoPaint.

With Smash itself, I have learned how to work with Brawlbox and how to shift through frame data to answer certain questions that pop up.

Also, since I am willing to learn new qualities or improve qualities I have already, I can be much more useful as time goes on.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308016
(falco frame data)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13128027&highlight=frame#post13128027
(this was snake’s jab -> ftilt combo on certain characters given no DI/SDI)

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13333881&postcount=127
(my theory on the so called boost grab with falco)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11914658&highlight=frame#post11914658
(I bothered to gather character’s frame data on there options from a dthrow tech chase and post it here. Credit goes to dantarion for the intial collection, I just shifted through the data to make it available to others)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAjswCuLds
(merely a demonstration of falco’s phantasm to other people)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309050&highlight=frame
(This is a postponed project for generating a clarified list of Falco’s killing percentages with Usmash against perfect DI from all characters for stages such as FD/BF/SV)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4JJ7Goah0&feature=channel_video_title
(this is demonstrating the ftilt snake has on Marth from a dthrow if both marth and snake buffer a ftilt/froll. will find the more in-depth post I have on this )

The next 3 links are bits of information I collected when I used my old account __crystal____ if you wish, I can send you a PM from my old account verifying that it is my account.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7302889#post7302889
(old data I collected on which direction characters get-up attack will hit on which side of snake after a dthrow)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7512371#post7512371
(old data I collected on doing a buffered jab against people from snake’s dthrow

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236239
(a joined collaboration with SuSa in figuring out the air releases Snake had on characters and various options)

As I have been attempting to stress throughout this application, any lack of skills and knowledge at present shouldn't be a barrier when they can be learned when the need to learn them arises.

I have currently have the widely used Brawlbox version 0.64 and Toomai's more recent release which will allow you to see hitboxes. I do have a wii that has homebrew and riivolution loaded on it.

If I used all my free time, I could give a few hours each day. Will vary each day of course due to college assignments and exams.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
-No I do not have a Google account, but I do have one for Skype.

-I am interested in joining the Smash Lab because I wish to contribute legitimately to
the field of my character's research, and I believe becoming a Smash Researcher will
help me to accomplish that.

-I am interested in working on the metagame and development of my own character, because I believe there is still much left to be discovered there. I prefer character research because I find it easier to test and acquire data.

-I have written several reports on King Dedede's moveset in earlier attempts to improve his game, and even one on the capacity and uses of Kirby's u-throw. I have links to the former, but not the latter:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=310458

-I am very dedicated to my research,and I have much time to contribute to it as well. I am willing to work on my assigned projects within my capabilities promptly and w/o question.

-I have not acquired any frame data for myself unfortunately.

-I own a Wii system, and have access to hacks, though I rarely choose to use them.

-I have a lot of free time to commit to my research, and have already devoted days to my research of the King's moveset. In numbers, I can commit at least two hours a day to my standard research.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Frame Map for Evidence for or against ZSS Uair frame trap

Test Subject: MetaKnight
Metaknight Air Dodge Data:
- invincibility starts frame 3
- Invincibility ends frame 29
- Air Dodge ends frame 39
ZSS
Frame:Input
0 MK's AD initiated
2 ZSS Uair initiated
3 MK's invincibility initiated
6 Uair hitbox is active
11 Uair hitbox ends/ Uair cooldown begins
29 MK's Invincibility ends/ AD cooldown begins
36 ZSS Uair IASA/ ZSS Uair is initiated
39 MK's AD ends/ initiates Uair
40 ZSS Uair hitbox out/hitstun occurs

Results: In the case of Metaknight, ZSS Uair frame trap is somewhat weak. If MK ADs (if he ends up below you) 3 or (if he ends up above you)5 frames before you initate Uair then he can win out (in the case of him being below you) in the case of the Uair>uair frame trap due to his own Uair. HOWEVER in the case of Uair>up B, MK has to AD 4 or 6 frames earlier than your initation of uair to beat you. In both cases ADing again is not an option as that will guarantee a third uair provided they are in range.
Aside from 2 other characters ( Lucario and Squirtle), you can actively react to the AD needed to break the frame trap (everyone else needs to AD at least 13 frames before you initiate your Uair). Air Dodge again for the entire cast is a horrendous option.

Conclusion: From this frame map, I have illustrated that in the case of MK, Lucario, and Squirtle, Uair>uair and Uair>up B ( if misspaced) are weak frame traps. However, vs the rest of the cast it is very strong and virtually gives the ZSS enough time to decide when itll be most effective.

****Note: For the majority of characters ff is advised, especially in the case of MK and Squirtle when utilizing the Uair> up B frame trap.

Air Dodge

[COLLAPSE="Character Air Dodge Data"]3-29 / 39 Metaknight
4-29 / 39 Zero Suit Samus
4-29 / 39 Diddy
4-29 / 39 Pit
4-29 / 39 Squirtle
4-29 / 39 Ivysaur
4-29 / 39 Charizard
4-29 / 39 Ike
4-29 / 39 Snake
4-29 / 39 King Dedede
4-29 / 39 Lucario
4-29 / 39 Wario
4-29 / 39 R.O.B
4-29 / 39 Olimar

4-29 / 48 Ice Climbers
4-29 / 48 Ness
4-29 / 48 Sonic
4-29 / 48 Lucas

4-30 / 49 Bowser
4-29 / 49 Mario
4-29 / 49 Donkey Kong
4-29 / 49 Link
4-29 / 49 Samus
4-29 / 49 Kirby
4-29 / 49 Fox
4-29 / 49 Pikachu
4-29 / 49 G&W
4-29 / 49 Luigi
4-29 / 49 Zelda
4-29 / 49 Sheik
4-29 / 49 Falco
4-29 / 49 Yoshi
4-29 / 49 Ganondorf
4-29 / 49 Wolf
4-29 / 49 Toon Link
4-29 / 49 Captain Falcon
4-29 / 49 Jigglypuff

5-30 / 49 Marth
4-19 / 49 Peach[/COLLAPSE]

I hope thats the proper way to do the frame map. I dont need to place the timer info correct? Its only for helping me test multiple things quickly, or so it seems. Let me know and I will get on it right away.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Seeing as some of you have liked my previous work, I thought I may as well give this a shot.

===

Do you have both skype and a google account?
I have skype and I have a gmail. I can give out information if accepted.

I like doing research. I wouldn't be getting my PhD if that weren't true, heh. Granted, my flavor of research is a little bit different from what you guys are accustomed to (tournament data and statistical analysis), it is still useful information for the community.

Neither, thus far. I am most interested collecting and analyzing data. I put the emphasis on analysis because almost everyone on smashboards uses compiled data (percentages and pie charts) as "evidence". This isn't sound reasoning. I would like to add my experience and abilities in an effort to analyze data that comes out of the community.

That said, I would like to learn how to study in-game mechanics. The hitbubbles project being done by Toomai is interesting to me. I don't have a hacked wii yet, but I should be able to purchase a wii for this purpose in the next couple months.

The largest contributions I have put forward are the two analysis passes I've done on smash touranment data:

Meta Knight's Dominance - A Statistical Approach

Meta Knight's Dominance - The 1000 Player Analysis

I have also been working on a relative strength ranking program for widespread use in the smash community. The project has been halted for the better part of 2 years, but it did reach a point of acceptable accuracy for regional use. I have since thought up some ideas that may help combat the issues I was seeing (player drift), and may pick the project up once again as soon as I get the time to learn how to program (I'd like to make this distributable, analogous to TIO).

TGL Project

As stated previously, my greatest asset is in statistical analysis. I love researching stuff and I'd like to contribute to the community more.

I do not. As stated before, I would be willing to learn how to collect this data in order to assist the community.

My most relevant contributions have been presented above.

Not really, this seems to be a well thought out application.

No. This should be corrected in the coming months.

By and large, I have weekends free for this sort of thing. Otherwise I'm getting my PhD or helping out with the Oregon State Solar Car Team.

Unfortunately, I do not have the materials necessary to complete the optional admissions test.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Do you have both skype and a google account?
No, but it's no big deal if I need one.

I have a great interest in staying up to date with the latest developments, in using the smash lab's resources to further support and to develop my own theories. I also figured it's about time I joined.

Studying and finding new in game mechanics is what I do all the time already so it goes without saying that I'm interested in helping with that sort of thing within the smash lab. As for writing character specific guides, I've totally got Link and Toon Link covered and would be more than happy to write up anything for them.

Where do I start? I have a vast mechanical knowledge of Link and Toon, most of which has come from my own research into these characters. I'm not limited to these characters however as I have read a substantial amount of material about the game and other characters. Unfortunately most of what I do happens in random posts, but here's a few threads I've put together showing not just my ability to present information but to also give an idea of how I've contributed to the development of these characters.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277706
First post contains current projects to help encourage input into developing Link. Second post contains a sort of archive of Link's AT's and tricks. I tested and confirmed everything in the second post before I wrote it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228712
It's a long list of Toon's AT's and tricks. Everything in this thread was either discovered, improved on, or verified by me.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263801
The Toon Guide which I coordinated discussion on and wrote based on personal knowledge and community input.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292308
An AT I cracked that allows any option to be used OOS, including out of a dash, on platforms. This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about in the second question when I say I could use the smash lab's resources for my own projects. There is still a lot of untapped potential in this AT but I am unable to do much of it due to lack of/limited access to frame hacks and so on.

It's hard to say or prove exactly what it is that I do, but basically, I'm good at figuring stuff out, especially things to do with how mechanics work. The first recent example that comes to mind is that I figured out a way for Toon to guarantee an arrow lock (which had been previously thought to be impossible). It was loosely based on one of the ways Link guarantees a Jab lock (SH, bomb throw down, footstool, Nair fast fall, Jab). Toon is too floaty to get this method to work with his quickdraw, so he requires two footstools. You need to Zair to footstool (them in mid air), wait a bit then bomb throw down, fast fall and re-footstool, then fast fall quickdraw. You won't find this in any of the OP's linked. I can only stress that there are many more examples that I can use if required and that its only from the perspective of them all collectively that my particular 'quality' can be best understood.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12474836&postcount=1387

I don't really have free access to frame hacks, so not really.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289727 Yeah there's plenty of things like this, which are interesting, but don't really lead to anything or prove that useful. But whatever. I'd have to look through all my posts for them and I'm not convinced that it's necessary for my application.

I can only think of the fact that I personally know a smash lab member, EA, whom I catch up with at least once a week, and that this ability to be able to discuss freely the current projects and so on will be naturally beneficial.

I have a wii, but it isn't hacked. I can use EA's wii for hacks, however.

This will depend on college stuff, but for now I'd say a fair amount of time depending on what's being worked on by everyone.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Wario's Tire Lock

Frame / Input

00 : 00 input jump
07 : 07 First time you can dthrow the tire
15 : 15 Tire hits (assuming frame 7 input)
16 : 27 airborn
28 : 36 input Up air
44 : 44 Upair connects (assuming input of frame 36)
45 : 53 Hitlag
54 : 57 hitstun/lag
52 : 62 Buffer Jump/hitsun/lag
69 : 79 airborn
80 : 89 footstool
109 : 109 Hits floor (assuming Frame 80 input)
110 : 138 This is your window to hit them with the tire or else they will get up
139 : 176 Your window to hit them again to continue the lock

This is an ideal tire lock

A couple of things that should be noted

Tires have a combined 26 frames of hitstun, their shield comes up at 27 frames
If downthrown right next to the opponent, Wario has a 12 frame advantage
Upair has 44 frames of hitstun and hitlag
You have 19 Frames
you have an 8 frame window to input Up air for a true combo
Glide tossing with Wario requires 1 frame for shield, 1 frame for roll, and the next frame for the throw, making it a 1-2
frame window

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I hope I'm allowed to apply here. :3

No idea if you guys are/aren't accepting applications, but it's worth a shot. :3

* Do you have both skype and a google account? (you may answer yes/no if you want to keep your information private until after your admission has processed)
Yes, I do. I've got both.
* Why do you want to join the Smash Lab?
Simply put, I'd love to join the Smash Lab, not only to further my own knowledge, but also to help the community. As they say, knowledge is power.

I'd also love to perhaps start projects and maybe even get the place a little more lively than it is already.
* If admitted to the Lab, would you be more interested in working on studying in-game mechanics or helping write character specific guides? Why?
I'd like to do both. I'm always fascinated at in-game mechanics. I adore the physics of Brawl, and I'd love to learn more about how and why things happen!

As for character specific guides, I'm not the greatest at this game, but I can apply my existing knowledge of the game to help almost any character guide.
* What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?
Apart from my rather extensive use of Frame Advance to confirm and verify certain things exist/don't exist, not much.
* What qualities do you possess which you feel will make you an asset to future Smash Lab projects?
Perhaps the best quality I have is that I'm a hard worker, and I always see things through to the finish. ^___^

Other qualities include my love for research and the game mechanics in Brawl, and I'm very knowledgable on characters movesets.
* Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
I'm currently doing King Dedede's frame data.

This is one of my strongest points. I absolutely love frame data. I feel it's one of the most important things in competitive Brawl.
* Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
Not anything of great importance, no.
* Are there any factors we should take into consideration in addition to this application?
Apart from the fact that I'd love to be a part of the smash researchers, nope. :p
* Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)
I have access to a Wii and hacks all the time.
* How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?
As much as you want. I work during the day, but I always have all night and early hours of the morning to commit to the Smash Lab.

Ugh, I'm not so great at applications, but if I am accepted, I'm certain that my hard work will not disappoint you.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yes

Mostly for educational purposes of both myself and the community, especially for the topic of diddy.

I could do both, but I'd be more interested in studying in-game mechanics. I'm not really that good of a writer and I probably could learn some things also. My expertise would specifically be Diddy's in-game mechanics also.

Mostly Diddy and Rainbow Cruise stuff with some miscellaneous stuff (I'll link in later questions). Also I know a lot about other stages as well, I just specialize in RC.

I have a load of in-depth Diddy and Rainbow Cruise knowledge and I like to pride myself in coming up with uses of some lesser thought of glitches/ATs

I wasn't the one to actually go into the game and collect this frame data, I just collected it over random posts in various threads of the Diddy boards
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290226

Firstly, I have a Diddy Kong Video guide that will be covering every AT/glitch/etc. pretty much every little tibit about Diddy, it's not finished yet, but I have started it with a good portion up. You can check the youtube links in the thread, also as you can see I've collected most of the tricks/tibits in those bullet points (although, not in depth, I just had that there for record keeping purposes):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=315625

All of Diddy's infinites in one thread (I haven't discovered any of them, but I collected the information):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278156

Some miscellaneous, lesser used diddy things that I like to actually try to use in matches that I mentioned before:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296111

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260750

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254431

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235291

Here's also a post about Rainbow Cruise that I made before, although I've come up with a few new things since then:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318741

If I haven't already expressed it enough, I'm pretty much an encyclopedia when it comes to Diddy. Anything that involves Diddy tricks, glitches, ATs, tibits, etc. I have on lock. If there's going to be someone that knows something about it, as long it's about Diddy, it'll be me.

I do have common access to a wii, and yes I do have common access to hacks, but I'm not really hack savvy and usually have trouble with them :3

A decent amount I guess, I'm finishing my semester right now and not really planning on doing much over the Summer.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yep.
I'm a huge nerd. I love picking apart the game to see what's possible. I believe that even four years into the game, we're nowhere near done yet. Just yesterday I discovered that ZSS can footstool MK and squirtle out of a grab release, something no one had even bothered to look for. Posting all of my findings, questions, and videos in Gen/Tactical is fine but there's no interest, no one asks questions. Isn't that a problem? Where there's interest, there can be discussion, and where there's discussion, things can be broken. ;)

Up until now, I've specialized in my own character main, ZSS for reasons that are probably obvious, however I'm not opposed to studying other characters. It's all fun to me.

That's a tough question. In terms of qualifications? I'm not a programmer, I don't know how to disassemble Brawl. Most of my "discoveries" have been due to my inquisitive nature. I might see something and ask "hey, why hasn't anyone tried that?" and check it out in-game or (more recently) in frame advance.

My qualification is primarily that. Maybe it sounds crazy, but there are plenty of SWF members who will tell you my approach works.

Answered above a bit, but I'm extraordinarily inquisitive and I have a history of thinking about possibilities and questions others don't. Much of the time it's because nothing's there, but much of the time it's because what's there didn't look obvious to other people.
Not really, however yesterday I did find very basic data for ZSS' item tosses.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14933644&postcount=39
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14934100&postcount=42
I have discovered several quirks and techniques throughout Brawl's lifetime, including:
1. Weak Glide Tossing (the process of glide tossing with a weak toss as opposed to a strong toss, allowing you to re-catch the item). I don't think the thread is still around. :(
2. ZSS Dash Attack Locks, and combo links (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235429 ... this thread is a bit old, if I had found it now, it might be a little more extensive)
3. ZSS grab release->footstool on MK and squirtle (still working on the frame data for this)

I'll be frank: people don't care enough about breaking the game down. People don't ask enough "what if?" questions and then jump into the game to see what they can do.

I've been posting here since early 2009 (I lurked before) and somehow, no one ever wondered if it's possible to footstool squirtle out of ZSS' grab release or bothered to test it. No one bothered, before me, to ask if you can use a weak throw during a glide toss, or cared what happens when you do that. No one bothered to ask how much frame advantage ZSS has after a dash attack that connects, or realized that it's the same amount as its startup frames.

I'm a good candidate because I'm always asking questions and I'm not afraid to look stupid when I'm wrong about something. Being wrong is part of the process, and hopefully by asking more and trying more, we can do more.

Yes, however I do most of my frame testing in Dolphin.

I'm unemployed and obsessed, do the math. ;)

NNID
dansalvato
Yep.
I've been spending more time with Brawl hacking and I'd like to be able to share resources with others interested, as well as my own work.
Character guides aren't my forte, but I am highly interested in game mechanics, as I spend time coding with them. If entry into this group means I have access to more resources regarding game mechanics, then I will be more motivated to work.
I have a lot of experience coding for both Brawl and Melee, which is why I am a developer for both Project M and SSBM Online.
I write ASM codes. This essentially means I can code features into the game, including those that will help the team learn and develop more.
My findings are more along the lines of mapping out ASM functions, but in their current form they are not presentable as something useful. I use them for writing codes, though. If you want examples of my work, see the SSBM Online dev blog and this thread. I know these are Melee-related, but I hope they serve as a clear indicator of my experience in Smash hacking. Most of my work with Brawl is not yet presentable, but I have little doubt that you will love what you see down the road.
I know that I'm not exactly an "orthodox" lab member in that I don't have collected frame data and such. However, the skills I can provide are far more useful and harder to come by. I should also mention that I do most of my work in the Dolphin emulator, which has outstanding debug features that allow me to execute very rapid coding and testing.
Easily. More importantly, Dolphin; see above.
It depends on what needs to be done. I'm kind of busy but if somebody requests I write a code, I can likely get it done in good time.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Vinyl.'s Application

• Do you have both skype and a google account?
    Yeah, I have both.

• Why do you want to join the Smash Lab?
    I love this game a ton and I really want to show my contribution to this competivive scene by learning researching into the game.

• If admitted to the Lab, would you be more interested in working on studying in-game mechanics or helping write character specific guides? Why?
    Most Definitely. I'm a generous person when it comes to helping out, especially this community, which I strive to help out by the time I can take full responsibility for myself.

• What previous qualifications do you have in the field of Smash Research?
    None at the moment, but I can start getting info by time I gain the necessary tools for research. I just need time.

• What qualities do you possess which you feel will make you an asset to future Smash Lab projects?
    Well, I'm not good at Mathematics and algebra, but I'm good in keeping track and memorizing as much to answer people's questions.

• Do you have any links to any Frame Data you have collected? If so, please present them.
  • Do you have any links to other findings you have collected? (exp. Stage Mechanics) If so, please present them.
    Don't have any, atm. Sorry!

• Are there any factors we should take into consideration in addition to this application?
    None, really.

• Do you commonly have accessibility to a Wii? Do you have accessibility to common hacks (exp. Homebrew, Stack Smash, etc.)?
    I have access to a wii, but I don't have access to homebrew at the moment.

• How much time can you commit to the Smash Lab?
    Anytime after or during times when I studying game art and finish projects.

• Now as your optional Admission Test what area will you be willling to create a completed frame map in?
    Anywhere that is necessary, depending on what frame map I'll be making if possible.

Top Bottom