• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Free Pulling: Cracked(For real this time)

Two-Ell

Smash Master
NOTICE: Hello everyone, first off a note or two. Don't worry this guide is all in white text as you can see lol. I thought it might annoy some of you to read a wall of text colored cyan lol. Apologies if this seems like a tl;dr thread lol, but I promise you all it's very well worth the reading. Another thing is I'm sorry if my use of my Rosalina texture in the pictorial examples isn't to your liking lol. I wanted to have some of my personality to this guide here and I'm sure a lot of you guessed by now I love her character(I have it over default and blue peach for teams lol). For the input descriptions I was going to have a picture of an analog stick to describe inputs but I couldn't find any good exact top down pics. I'll do my best to describe the inputs. Now onward with the thread~

Introduction

To start, from the beginning Free Pulling is probably the most bittersweet technique since it's birth. It allows for constant mobility as well as arming Peach with her valuable projectile in one easy input. Where there's good there is also the bad. In order to perform free pulling one had to sacrifice ease* of DI and multi-directional Glide tossing. While there are few among us such as Meno that are willing to learn to compensate for the decrease of ability in those two areas. Most Peach mains did not see the technique as a worthy gain in place of those losses. So for a time Free Pulling sat in the hands of B-stick users and metagame focus turned elsewhere. Eventually Excel_Zero through his own experimentation along with a reminder of another user managed to develop for the boards two rough inputs for the technique without utilizing the B-stick. While it was found to work by various users. It was found significantly difficult to perform. So much that it was decided that instead of sacrifice this time around. Effort far outweighed the benefit.

Again for nearly a year the technique sat out of reach without the aid of a B-stick. Eventually recently in light of happenings and random chance attention was turned again to Free Pulling. The new consensus on the technique was that at the point in the Brawl metagame the technique still proved to be highly useful especially in match-ups such as one of Peach's worse: Metaknight. As KB put it:

"It's really hard for him to gay Peach while she pulls turnips if she's constantly moving."
Users began giving the technique more attention and practice, but still remained the problem of effort involved in learning it. Excel's method proved too difficult even with reasonable practice. Eventually users began giving their own insights on how to perform it at least a fraction easier. It is at this point I will show you all each suggested method in this board's history and how and explain the drawbacks that still lead to inability of reaching high consistency.(I mean no offense in anyway to the users who developed these methods. We try to work with what we feel works and that's what helps reach better results.)

Excel_Zero:

Method 1

How to do: You must turn around, pull the turnip and press the control stick on the direction you turned to. The controller inputs should be:

If Peach is standing to the left:
[→, ↓, B, →] (She will slide to the right)
If Peach is standing to the right:
[←, ↓, B, ←] (She will slide to the left)

The timing is hard.

I felt it was something too difficult to be worth learning. But the other day I tried and managed to do it a few times on training mode.

Method 2

How to do: You must first practice how to pull turnips with the C-Stick, which is done by pressing the B Button and then pressing down on the

C-Stick. They need to be pressed ALMOST at the same time, but make sure you press the B Button before pressing down on the C-Stick. After you get it

down, you just need to turn around normally, and then using this method of turnip pull, so you can use the Control Stick to continue with the slide.

Controller inputs are:

If Peach is standing to the left:
[→, B, C↓, →] (She will slide to the right)

If Peach is standing to the right:
[←, B, C↓, ←] (She will slide to the left)

Is this worth learning? Will this help Peach overcome her bad matchups? Which method is the easiest to learn?
Here is the birth of the idea of how to Free Pull without a B-stick. Method one was ended on the note that Excel was able to do it but it was too difficult to perform much less get it consistently. The same reaction came from users who posted in this thread. The key thing here is this:

"The timing is hard."

The input was a rough idea of how it may work in thinking of how B-sticking worked, but the major problem here is timing. Just like any other AT this one has a special window of input. At this point you may have an idea of what I'm going to be teaching you later.

Method two I comment on with this theory of mine:

"My opinion for Excel's method two is that the way the game registers B-sticking is essentially gathering the C-stick down input and combining it with the 'Special' tag. When the the C-stick is under the 'Attack' tag I think maybe it can be out prioritized by a special button input if done in pretty much the exact moment."

In addition to increased input difficulty the problem of timing still remained here. At this point Rick's recent theory comes in.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day:

The B button is right next to the C Stick which is extremely impractical because it requires you do to a really awkward claw...moving your fingers back to use

A/X/Y is really annoying...it can be done but I found my fingers getting in a bit of a mess

So I thought - since I don't use the L button, why not change that to special? My right hand is kept in its optimum position and my left thumb is

still in full control of the Control Stick because it only has to move left and right, none of that moving awkwardly down business

Give it a try. Before this, I could only free pull with about 5% consistency. With this method, I can do it with about 85% consistency.
Here progress is made with method two. Rick develops a method to attempts to alleviate the difficulty of performing it by making the input easier to perform. The downsides to this method though requires sacrifice of the L button. In his case the button was useless beforehand so it proved to be no problem. Concern was brought up by other users because they had their L for something else. Again though the problem of when the input it to be performed remained along with there being still being a considerable difficulty inputing the special and pushing the C-stick down at the exact moment. Just as there is progress with method two, one was also improved upon by Dark Pch.

Dark Pch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM9Prc97iwc

You have to TILT down/left or down/right. This needs to be done or you won't get it out. Just hitting down, then turnip then tap stick forward does nothing.

That's why people had such a hard time doing so. So if you are looking left, hit down/right and get a turnip. then hit the stick forward. Do it EXACTLY as you

read it here:

Down/left
-------------> + B + Right/Left
Down/right

If you over over the first part, Peach will do a F-B:

You have Down left/right on your control Stick. DO NOT GO PAST THAT WHEN YOU TILT IT. Also if you don't tilt the control stick enough, Peach

will do a walking told as I was doing in the video.
Though the input is still a rough idea this is actually the most closest method among the three to the method I am about to explain to you all. Again though I'm sure by now you have begun to see a pattern here. Timing has never been addressed.

Gaining an understanding

The entire time we were attacking the problem from one side.There is another point though that I must bring up. Before we can ask how to do it. We must know why. In general there are three stages to learning: Memorization, Comprehension, and Application. The day we understood that a Down+B input can go through during Peach's turn around animation we were at the memorization stage. The problem though as you can see is we skipped comprehension for application. If your teacher taught you Pythagorean theorem(A^2+B^2=C^2 for those of you who slept during math x3), gave you some problems, and told you to use it to find the answer you would sit clueless on what to do with it. That's the same problem here. I'm going to explain why Free pulls work.

The Why:

Let's take the basics of what we know about Free Pulling. Peach turns around and with a B-stick an automatic Down+B input is done for us and Peach plucks a turnip during her turn around while sliding. Some how Peach maintains the momentum of her turn around while at the same time she is pulling a turnip. essentially the game blended both the Turnip Pull and the movement of the turn around animation into one because we canceled Peach's turn around animation with turnip pull. As for why it can be canceled in the first place you'll need to talk to Brawl's coders lol. From what I believe there's a possible order of access/priority to move-sets. Apparently the 'Down+B' command has priority over the 'Turn Around' command, but in usurping control 'Down+B' sorta gains traits from 'Turn Around'. Anyway Let's take this whole process and take a better look at the action. Here is Rosalina'sPeach's turn around animations broken down:

Now so far we know that at some point during this whole thing we can flick our B-stick down for a turnip pull. We need to know what exactly our 'window' is in being able to do this. This means we need frame data. Thankfully upon looking through hotgarbage's stickied thread he managed to give us exactly what we needed:

Free-pull
Frame Window: frames 2-11 of her turn around animation
Unfortunately we do not have information on how long the animation itself is. No problem when we see 2-11 although we don't have the tools to find out how long the animation is we can try comparing the length of her turn around to something else. We know that Peach turns around relatively quickly. Something else fast in her move-set we can try is a jab. Comparing the two she finishes turning around slightly faster than she stands still after finishing her first jab. Jab 1 is 19 frames long. taking into consideration that the Free Pull window is frames 2-11 that's probably almost the entire animation we can pop in a B-stick input. Starting on 2 means we can smash on the stick at pretty much the exact moment we push the analog. Ending on Frame 11 means we can even wait till she's almost completely turned around for us to B-stick too. For those of you who like pictures when learning things this is what we've gathered so far:

Looking at that we have a nice fat window. That makes this technique insanely easy to do. All you need a B-stick and you're good to go with any practice at all. We just mentioned the problem though. We need a B-stick. Taking what we know so far all the way down to the basics. We need to hit Down+B during that huge window. That's the solution put simply though. let's look at the frame window information again. We need to turn around and hit Down B within a ten frame window. Some of you know that brawl runs at just about 60 frames per second. ten out of sixty frames means you need to make a turn around and a Down+b in 1/6 of a second. Being able to move your thumb AND the stick like that for probably frames 2-5 is physically impossible. Our nice fat window is shrunken down a good deal.That leaves us with six frames. That's 1/10 of a second. Here is what we now know:

What we have here is the endpoint of all our investigation. In math class our teachers gave us perfect example problems to use that Pythagorean theorem with so we could understand how it worked. with all this information we have here here. We need to try to make up our own application. Here is where we move on to the field test.

The How(finally T.T):

We're finally at the point where we get an idea of the real input. Some of you more enthusiastic guys(and gals~) may just take all this info and do try doing it out right. I feel it might be frustrating that way. As soon as we turn around we only have 1/6 of a second to go from pushing the stick one way to another, and then try moving forward. Don't let these numbers daunt you though. Our window is smaller, but it's still possible for us to react that quickly and enter that Down+B. We just need to train ourselves to react properly. Training means instead of taking on a huge load we learn go it small piece by piece until we can go big. /elementaryschoolteacher

Go into the training mode and turn the speed down to lets say 1/2. We could do 1/4, but I felt it was too slow and would get very frustrating to wait for Peach to finish her Bomber or Toad(which feel like they take forever >.>). At this speed we pretty much have more than double the time(since it's much slower we can access the earlier frames that were impossible at normal speed.) we need which is even larger than our B-stick window. At 1/2 speed try to get a good visual feel for Peach's turn around. Train your eyes to recognize the window points we need. If you need to, look at the way her hair/crown/feet/hands look during your window. Condition yourself for that visual cue so you can use it at higher speeds where they will fly by more quickly. Now considering the input we need to do and the speed we need to do it. We probably won't be able to just tap the stick left/right>Down+B> Forward. Tapping will take too much time. This technique needs tilting. Now, learn how far you need to tilt your stick in order to turn around. Reading that you'll probably feel like the technique is going to be complicated and let your discouragement begin to set in again. I am going to tell you now that performing this on the spot is perfectly reasonable with practice. Trust me in that when you follow the procedure I'm giving you here you won't have to wait long to see some results.

Once you get a feel for that point in your tilt she turns around now is the time need to try and fit a Down+B in there. Here goes our first attempt. Tilt your stick to start her turn around animation. As you see her going through it, from that same position your stick is at tilt it downward a bit(since we'll need to continue forward.) and hit B quickly while you're doing that. The reason I say tilt your stick downward a bit is because if you tilt it too far down Peach will remained locked in place as she usually is until she finish pulling the turnip. We need her to get the command to pull it, but we want to keep moving as well. As soon after you hit B fully tilt your stick diagonally in an attempt to continue forward. Some of you get it on the first try some probably may not. Keep doing it and I guarantee you will get it. (Looking at this input process can you kinda see why Dark's method was the closest?). Here I'll offer some personal observations as you try to move on to higher speed. Through out the entire process(which happens quickly) I never fully tilt my stick(fully tilt means push on the stick till it hits the end) till I reach the end of the input process. For me I push it just enough to have Peach turn around and I keep the stick there till I see my cue. I then bring the stick down again not fully, probably like around halfway so the game recognizes I'm pushing down, hit B and continue lightly to the diagonal at full tilt. Basically the entire thing is quickly, but lightly pushing Left/right> Down> Diagonal. Keep practicing this till you feel you're competent at it with your current speed. Then try taking it to the next difficulty(2/3 speed) until you've got it at normal. Now I don't want you all thinking that I'm here telling you to do all this and saying I'm getting fast and easy results myself. I'll be honest and let this do all the talking as far as how successful I currently* am with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81dCQ60D4E

As you guys will see I'm not perfect with it lol, but this was only after less than an hour of practice after learning how it worked through all of this. What we learned here is what I gradually found out for my self since studying it Monday night x3. Now that we've reached this point I'll ask you a question: Since you now know why exactly it works didn't performing it feel easier and make more sense?
Even when I miss inputs I can look at some thing like my video and know why it messed up rather than stabbing in the dark with an input just given to me. Anyway I wish you all success in learning this and implementing it into your play-styles. Again I know it's hard and honestly I really felt like giving up. Even almost to the end where I was trying to make a video(I ended up deleting it when I made my breakthrough lol.) I could barely do it and felt I should just forget trying at all. It was just after I tried sticking through that I suddenly found out what I needed. Oh and before I say I'm finished I've got a small treat.

As you get better with it..

Remember how I theorized that when 'Down+B' took control over 'Turn Around' it gained the traits needs for the slide? Well if you think about turn around what is it responsible for in the game? Continuing to move the character in a direction. if you push left/right then decide you want to go the other way then 'Turn Around' will do just that for you. When you combine this with 'Down+B' you can get results like this when you get good enough~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvJWSlouwwo

Complete!

Enjoy your demystified tech. I would've never been able to do all this if it were not for all the random ideas, thoughts, and sequence of events just looking all everyone's posts gave me. In a way all of you are responsible for this is some way that you'd probably call me crazy if I told you lol.

EDIT, A Final Note: I wanted to add this bit in due to a point Rickerdy made. I understand I did claim my method my would be easier, but his and mine classify differently under Excel's original foundations and are improvements on each. At this point now at least you the Peach main now have the choice of which way you want to approach learning this technique. Despite whichever way you decided to learn this you are now armed with the knowledge of mechanics of this technique. If you find Rickerdy's method easier/better that's fine and you can use all this information all the same in learning how to perform it.

EDIT2: A note from Rickerdy
With 2link's method, there isn't any risk of you Dash attacking or Down Smashing but the entire input is reliant on the Control Stick - you have nowhere as much freedom as you do when you use the C Stick. Try consistantly doing a SH Fair and immediatly Free pulling in the other direction with Method 1 (2link's) and then with Method 2 (Rickerdy's)

I'm not bashing 2link's work, I just don't want people completely ignoring my method because you have don't have to do fiddly movements with the Control stick which is what our problem with Free pulling was to begin with

2link's method is much easier to do standing in one place. if you're going to Free pull whilst you're standing still doing nothing, I urge you to use 2link's method
If you're on the move, mine is much better because your Control Stick won't get in a mess when you're trying to perform multiple things at once

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
idk rickerdy kinda already hit the nail on the head man.

all you do is pivot, then hit shoulder button special + c stick down, and then move the stick left or right.

the time window to pull this off is a lot more than bonewalking.

ima call this the Mannypull or maybe Rickrollin' XD

Two-Ell

Smash Master
uh this is completely different from Rickerdy's and much easier without the sacrifice of a button people may be using lol. Please read before posting any thoughts since only glancing at it will tell you nothing much at all.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Great read.
I can tell you took alot of time and effort into making this and the description was spot on.
The videos and pictures were very efficient, as well as you describing HOW/WHY we can actually pull this off.

Good job.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Thanks I hope it will help you all. Strangely enough when I think about it. It was pretty fun to do all this haha. I just find enjoyment in working hard to solve a problem or overcome a challenge. This one was tough. I'll tell you something funny though. In my case I find this easier to do than bonewalking. /lol

hiROI

Smash Lord
Yesterday, during my homework break, I was practicing Rick's method and found it a bit difficult, so I just didn't bother anymore. But after reading this, everything makes sense. Like I got an epiphany and I went to Tiffany's~*

Thank you for the write up!

QUIVO

Smash Master
I've been meaning to learn this. King Beef was trying to describe it to me, but I could never pull it off. The dude does it so consistently and makes peach look sexy. I think Dark Peach's kinda makes sense, but it's kind of confusing with the directions.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
ima call this the Mannypull or maybe Rickrollin' XD
I enjoyed reading this but if I'm being honest, there were lots of walls of text...can't really be helped though

Most of us know why and how to do the free pull - its just actually doing it that was the problem. It was extremely difficult to do a Down + B AND move the Control Stick Left/Right in the time it takes for Peach to partially turn around. You've explained it all very well though (see final paragraph)
I got the impression you were going through a step by step guide on how to do Free pulling with Method 1 from Excel's thread which up until now is the only way we could do free pulling without the B Stick...which by all mean isn't a bad thing but when you said you were describing something that didn't need any button changes...I got excited that you'd found an even easier way to do free pulling without the B Stick :p Or maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not bashing your thread by any means - the diagrams were extremely helpful as were the inclusion of frame data and explanations and this I implore anyone who wants to do free pulling via Method 1 to read this because it helped my understanding/performance of Method 1 free pulling

Yesterday, during my homework break, I was practicing Rick's method and found it a bit difficult, so I just didn't bother anymore.
Its tricky at first because you really have to whack the L trigger down and make sure the C Stick goes straight down. I still find myself Peach Bombering/Toading/Down Smashing every now and then. Once you've got it cracked...imho, my method is superior to traditional non B Sticking free pulls
Try doing a Turnip throw to Fair to free pull the other way upon landing with Method 1 and then my method :p

Two-Ell

Smash Master
hmm I guess you have a point there Rick. Your method and mind are classify differently under Excel's original foundations. At this point now at least Peaches now have the choice of which way they want to approach this technique. Aside for my method with this thread everyone should be armed with the knowledge of mechanics of this technique and approach it how they decide to. If they find your method easier/better they at least now know exactly what requirements they need to be successful.

Edit: Oh and yeah haha soo much text. I'm really sorry about that, but this tech has been out of reach for over a year
there was a lot to go over plus it can still claim the title of Peach's most difficult. The length of this thread is a testament to the difficulty it's given us all this time.

Edit2: Okay Rickerdy I made an edit to my guide referring to the point you made to me about user choice in ease of performance.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Wow, one of the best threads I've read on the board.

Finally you people are catching up.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
This is amazing. I really loved reading this, especially the "why it works" part. This is really, really easy. I about gave up after a few tries in 1x but then I finally started tilting the control stick less and now it's really easy. x3 I can do it about 50% after just 5 minutes of practice. Great find. <3

I think at some point in time we should make a thread covering all the Free Pull methods and the advantages and disadvantages of each to:

1) Make it easier to choose for newer Peach players especially

2) Cover it all in one thread so people don't have to go hunting for them or use the horrible search feature

Just a thought. O:

I have that same texture, it's so sexy. :3

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Oh I'm happy you finally landed it. Did you got to 1x outright? lol or were you having trouble at first when you went on from 2/3 speed. Either way I'm glad it doesn't feel so difficult anymore and good job not giving up. That does sound like a good idea, but there are only really two current methods though. Mine which is the best of method 1(as in purely analog and B button) and Rickerdy's for method 2(As in utiltizing the C-stick and the B button to emulate a B-stick input). What could be done is the best advices for learning both can be taken and presented to users interested in learning. This could maybe be placed in the 'New Peach guide' OP.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Meno convinced me to switch to bsticking.

It's so sexy, you should have seen him giving the slidy **** to top MKs today. No wonder he's the best Peach.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Well good luck trying to use it effectively. Because knowing you and your lazy ***, you will just go back to the C-Stick and use those easy aerials which i so wish i could do. but nope all i get to do is slide magically across the stage and not even get much real distance and call it "Spacing"

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Well good luck trying to use it effectively. Because knowing you and your lazy ***, you will just go back to the C-Stick and use those easy aerials which i so wish i could do. but nope all i get to do is slide magically across the stage and not even get much real distance and call it "Spacing"
...then why don't you xD
You're really good with the B Stick Meno there's no doubt but I would argue its obselete now

Manual Bone Walking is easy and we've got both this and my method to do Free pulling

The only reason B Sticking had the upper hand on us C Stick users was that you could Bone Walk and Free pull. Bone Walking was found out ages ago but you still had the Free pull over us

You said you have to work hard for your aerial spacing, smashes and Glide Tossing whilst we can do it at the flick of a stick. We've had to work for manual Bone Walking and Free pull but absolutely nowhere near as hard as you have to work for the things you can't do with the B Stick as mentioned above. You can't even SDI which some people would argue is very bad indeed. Bone Walking is easy and now we've got such easy Free pulling methods that can be performed manually...
Hell, my method (yes I'm bringing it up again, sue me) is pretty much exactly the same as the B Stick method, except for pressing ONE extra, easy-to-reach button.

I know I encouraged everyone to give B Sticking a go but with the recent advancements we've made on manual Free pulling, I feel using the B Stick just isn't worth it anymore. Every tech that the B Stick can perform, manual controls can perform. I'm not condemning your choice Meno but I just feel that you could make your life easier by using the C Stick and learning one of the methods in this thread for Free pulling :(

I'M SORRY :cry:

...then why don't you xD
You're really good with the B Stick Meno there's no doubt but I would argue its obselete now

Manual Bone Walking is easy and we've got both this and my method to do Free pulling

The only reason B Sticking had the upper hand on us C Stick users was that you could Bone Walk and Free pull. Bone Walking was found out ages ago but you still had the Free pull over us

You said you have to work hard for your aerial spacing, smashes and Glide Tossing whilst we can do it at the flick of a stick. We've had to work for manual Bone Walking and Free pull but absolutely nowhere near as hard as you have to work for the things you can't do with the B Stick as mentioned above. You can't even SDI which some people would argue is very bad indeed. Bone Walking is easy and now we've got such easy Free pulling methods that can be performed manually...
Hell, my method (yes I'm bringing it up again, sue me) is pretty much exactly the same as the B Stick method, except for pressing ONE extra, easy-to-reach button.

I know I encouraged everyone to give B Sticking a go but with the recent advancements we've made on manual Free pulling, I feel using the B Stick just isn't worth it anymore. Every tech that the B Stick can perform, manual controls can perform. I'm not condemning your choice Meno but I just feel that you could make your life easier by using the C Stick and learning one of the methods in this thread for Free pulling :(

I'M SORRY :cry:
I will disagree with SDI for a little bit. YOu can easily DI out with the directional influence of the control stick with multi-hitting moves. You might not get out as soon, or as easy, but it gets you out without too much havoc. This is what I do all the time and find myself getting out of even stuff like the Tornado, Dancing Blades, Jabs, etc. Most often I use the c-stick to hit people right away after DI which can be mended by knowing when you are out, and attack right away.

Even with the manual ways to do the bonewalk/turnip pull, it is not as easy either without the b-stick.

Anythign you can do with a c-stick you can basically accomplish without it by other means. SDI is the only real loss I see.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Meno is too sexy for C stick. Those who are sexy must be different. Plus, it's not as simple as just switching. It's like telling someone to stop L canceling in brawl after they've played Melee for years. It would take tons of time and he's already good with it, so why get used to the boring C stick configuration?

I got it pretty quickly in 1x after I got it in 2/3. I think I'll have it down in a day or two.

Theres B sticking, the C stick + B method, and this method. There might be even more ways we haven't found yet. Maybe even a way to face right and slide backwards while still facing right. Most likely not though. :/ Unless you just did it during D tilt's IASA frames.

You can't Uair string very well with B stick... I don't think you can Bair lock at all.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
All I'm saying is that what I'm suggesting set up wise is a much better choice than B Sticking. This isn't me being an arse - why would I want to limit myself controller wise when Peach requires so much precision to be played properly?
Well, it depends on how you look at it. They both have advantages and disadvantages. With your method your going to be less consistent than a B sticker would be and it'll be much harder. I don't care how much you practice it, using your method your going to do it way less consistently than even an inexperienced B stick user. If I'm thinking correctly, the game works somewhat like this:

Down + Special = Smash Down B
Down > Special = Down B

Meaning the game would register register a Turnip Pull if you tilted the control stick down and then pressed B soon after, but it also would if you pressed them at the same time. A "smash" B move is useless for a lot of characters, but you get super missile from Samus and longer distances on boomerangs. Some other characters can probably use it too. Now, if we apply that to the A button it means:

Down + A = D Smash
Down > A = D tilt

Meaning the C stick registers the directional input at the same time as the smash input. I think some things out prioritize others. Special has more priority than attack. This is true because if you B stick, you can't Smash by pressing C stick + A. This means we have to press B at the EXACT same time as the smash input in order to cancel it. This is much easier said than done, though. It's not super hard if you use X, B, Y, or A but on every controller I've played with it's extremely difficult to line the R and L buttons up perfectly with the control stick. Maybe thats just me, but I find it much easer to use the other buttons. Obviously the control pad isn't viable because you need your left hand to hold backwards and more importantly, winning would be impossible due to the lack of her sexy taunts. I really don't think your going to be able to do your method consistently in a match.

With 2link's method and B sticking you don't have to worry about hitting them right on. It's just a matter of canceling your turn around animation at the right time.

From my experience, if your going to choose one, I'd choose 2Link's first, B stick, then yours. I'd rather sacrifice easy glide tossing and and other C stick perks than mess up a lot in play and get punished.

A few tips on this method:

- Be sure to tilt it just enough to get your turn around, it isn't hard but really needs emphasized. If your doing it wrong, thats probably your problem.

- Make sure to slam it diagonally down/right I couldn't get it to work by tilting down + B then slamming all the way right or left.

Again, this isn't hard and your way more likely to be able to do this consistently in a match than with Rick's method. If your struggling with that method, I urge you to at least try this and follow the guide exactly. If you deviate at all you'll do it wrong, 2Link explained it perfectly. As for B stick users, you might want to try this at least then maybe sit down and think about what your gaining and losing by C/B sticking and take into consideration how annoying switching configurations will be before deciding. I still recommend you try it, even if your really doubting you'd ever switch.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I really don't think your going to be able to do your method consistently in a match.
Well...I can so....there! :p
Its as Raz said
all you do is pivot, then hit shoulder button special + c stick down, and then move the stick left or right.
I don't get whats so hard about my method. It is exactly the same as the B Sticking method of Free Pulling but you have to press one extra easy-to-reach button. I don't understand why using L is such a problem either. Unless you use L to Jump or Shield, look at your left index finger and ask yourself 'What do I use this finger for on my controller?

With 2link's method, there isn't any risk of you Dash attacking or Down Smashing but the entire input is reliant on the Control Stick - you have nowhere as much freedom as you do when you use the C Stick. Try consistantly doing a SH Fair and immediatly Free pulling in the other direction with Method 1 and then with Method 2

I'm not bashing 2link's work, I just don't want people completely ignoring my method because you have don't have to do fiddly movements with the Control stick which is what our problem with Free pulling was to begin with

Edit: Crud I knew I had something else to put lol

2link's method is much easier to do standing in one place. if you're going to Free pull whilst you're standing still doing nothing, I urge you to use 2link's method
If you're on the move, mine is much better because your Control Stick won't get in a mess when you're trying to perform multiple things at once

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I'm really doubting you can do it consistently. It's just the timing is super strict, I actually DR more consistently than I can do your method. I don't even use Yoshi much, either.

It's not too bad. I can do it fairly well out of a SH Fair, it'll just take a bit of practice. As you stated, your method is much harder. Being able to Free Pull in a match and in Practice mode are two very different things. People are way way less consistent in a match. What exactly are you going to be doing at the same time as Free Pulling? You have to be standing still anyway....

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm really doubting you can do it consistently. It's just the timing is super strict, I actually DR more consistently than I can do your method. I don't even use Yoshi much, either.

It's not too bad. I can do it fairly well out of a SH Fair, it'll just take a bit of practice. As you stated, your method is much harder. Being able to Free Pull in a match and in Practice mode are two very different things. People are way way less consistent in a match. What exactly are you going to be doing at the same time as Free Pulling? You have to be standing still anyway....
Lol why would you doubt I can't do it consistantly? I wouldn't claim I could do something if I couldn't...even on the Internet - thats just sad xD The timing is strict for lots of things (see IC's chaingrabs for example) but they're still doable

And you don't have to be standing still, you can walk and then Free pull
Whichever method suits you better is the best to go for. If you don't like mine then there isn't any point in me trying to force you to use it, I can only encourage people to have a go at both methods. I prefer mine for the reasons I stated. Mine needs to be much more precise with the risk of smashing whilst 2link's is all about doing very precise/slight inputs on the Control Stick. I just don't want people ignoring my method when we've been trying to find a new method for Free pulling because what 2link is describing (whilst described very well) is essentially the manual Free pull we've known for a long time - just something none of us have been able to get down very well and thanks to the guide we actually have a better understanding of when we need to do the inputs

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trying to call you a liar, but your saying you could play a match right now and do it.... 5 or more times and not screw up once? I just don't see it being that great, I hope you prove me wrong though. :D

IC's Chain Grabs are super easy once you get the hang of them, they did convince me to set X to grab, though for doing buffered B throws quicker.

I bet we have different contollers. :/ My L, R, and Z buttons are horrible. LOLcontroljohns No, but really they all squeak, and it's like impossible to do it your way with it. It's Nintendo too. All three of mine are Nintendo and they all do. >.>

For lulz I just went a tried them all out. My results:

Your method: 3/10

2Link's: 8/10

B stick: 10/10

C stick down + B: 7/10

Quadrouple SH DJ turnip hit thingy: 1/10

I just like failing at the last one. Mind sharing what controller you use? O:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I have definitly done it at least 5 times in a row, I've been practicing a lot because the inputs are so precise. I use the standard Gamecube Controller - the purple one that they don't sell anymore :(

If you're shoulder buttons don't work anymore than I'm not surprised you can't do my method. If you can't get it to work/aren't comfortable with it then do 2link's way because it works fine

*rereads your post*
Wait wait wait wait

Your method: 3/10

2Link's: 8/10

B stick: 10/10

C stick down + B: 7/10

Quadrouple SH DJ turnip hit thingy: 1/10
My method and C Stick down + B are exactly the same...you just use L instead of B xD Using L instead of B means you don't have to do that awkward claw position

Also, can someone add this thread to the Peach Guide? I wouldn't mind a link for my thread being added but the OP needs to be in the Peach guide so that people can read the full explanation of performing Free Pulling

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Wow, it's like we're the only two on. :/

I use the same controller now, had a black nintendo one, but it broke. Now I'm stuck with two purples and a wavebird. I honestly don't see how on earth you can do it with the purple one. I try and try but can't get it more than 3/10 LOL The L button is just so bad on it... It got me so frustrated I couldn't started U smashing somehow. >.< I'd LOVE to learn this method, I really would. It would help so much with other characters too. Especially Lucas. The timing has to be perfect, though. Meaning if you try to do this fast in a match you might really blow. This is true of both methods, but I think 2Link's would be easier. I guess we'll just have to wait and see which one turns out better once everyone gets in some practice. If you manage to do this consistently and upload a match against a skilled player, you'll be my hero. xD

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Well, just use whichever method you're more comfortable with, this goes for everyone. These have only been out a day so time will tell which works better xD

I just hope that one of them works well so we can add this tech to the plethora of skills Peach already has xD

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
The timing is not that hard /: i can freepull backwards and forwards easily whenever and i use b and the c stick with it set to smash.... also inorder to freepull backwards the timing has to be near perfect... it looks nice though ;D

Two-Ell

Smash Master
lol I came back from a monthly today and I see all this discussion. Honestly after giving it plenty of thought. Rickerdy's method and method both have their good and bad sides. I was wrong to put it down a bit like I did in my guide and now I'm going to update it with Rickerdy's personal message regarding it's difficult and uses vs. mine. I'm happy you guys didn't get to flaming though. You kept it civil. DF I'm glad you took such a liking to this. Makes me feel happy I was able to bring this to the community.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
The timing is not that hard /: i can freepull backwards and forwards easily whenever and i use b and the c stick with it set to smash.... also inorder to freepull backwards the timing has to be near perfect... it looks nice though ;D
It's easier when you use B, but it's really weird to do and you'll probably mess it up a lot because you accidentally brush against another button. I always claw for floating, yet I find it impossible to keep hitting B. Are you guys actually doing it as consistent with L as with B? I just can't seem to get it with L. :/ The backwards one isn't too bad, you just tilt it down right instead of down left. Assuming your facing right in the beginning.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
This was the only AT I never actually managed to get down. If I actually had a playable brawl I'd definitely give this a shot again.

QUIVO

Smash Master
It's a lot easier when I think of it as: fox trotting/pivot dash, then buffering a turnip pull, then buffering the forward slide.

I can't do the standing one yet.

Top Bottom