• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffered Rising U-airs (and U-air OOS)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Besides crouching, this is by far the most underused universal mechanic in the game. It honestly shocks me how many high level players don't implement these. But then again, it's an obscure mechanic that requires you to actually have a little tech skill.

How to: LIGHTLY hold upwards, and input Jump+Attack. Hold the control stick too far up, you Up-smash. Too little, you N-air.

Aside from the fact that this is an option that generally isn't implemented by most players, let me point out that the vast majority of U-airs have good hitboxes and frames. Virtually no character in this game has a bad U-air, and if you're not implementing these out of shield (sorry Yoshi), you have just overlooked something that will really help your gameplay.

The most commonly effective way to use U-airs out of shield are in situations where your U-air can cover ambiguous crossups. And of course in general anti-air situations. Besides using them out of shield, most characters have cool mechanics from buffering U-airs perfectly anyway, but I'm not going to be extensive about it right now.

The three characters that benefit the most from buffered U-air are MK, Mario, and Pikachu imo. Ganondorf, Falcon, and Marth players also have pretty obvious reasons to implement U-airs oos. But besides them, I'm pretty serious that every character in the game benefits significantly from buffered U-airs. Try it out now if you haven't already.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah I suspected that much. ZSS's U-air hits grounded opponents right?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Well, I don't think any of us (all 2 of us) knew you could buffer a uair out of a SH off the ground, so I don't know WHO this is going to hit. I know that before, it was very close to hitting MK (whiffs his back side).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah Flayl, a LOT of high level players don't know this. I mean I was teaching this to ViceGrip recently lol. And then Shaya on the Marth boards obviously didn't know about it until I brought it up.

I on the other hand have been implementing this for all of this year. And I do use a lot of characters casually, who I all know benefit in some way from this.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Next you're gonna tell me people don't know how to DTilt without crouching :urg:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Nah, I think most competitive players know that one. Mostly the only people who don't know don't care about this game competitively. What people are less likely to know however is properly buffering (F)tilts, or stuff like turnaround tilts.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yeah this **** is legit for Fox, it's a frame trap, because Fox gets a guarenteed punish if you airdodge a shuair. There was a thread about it on the Fox boards a while ago, I think it was called "The Green Light"?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Awesome, I had always been sad how uair is hard to use effectively OoS. This should be a big help.

Luxor

Smash Champion
It's good to see this getting out there. I've tried it with ZSS in particular, it's ****. Her best OoS option in most cases IMO; Utilt is frame 10 and unsafe, while Uair is frame 8 or 9 (I forgot how long she jumpsquats) and safe. Sexy.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
OMG YOU CAN PERFORM AERIALS OOS? OMFG GAME BREAKIN!!! LMAO someone get rid of this thread waste of space.
Doing a U-Air out of shield is actually generally considered to require you to avoid buffering, due to it making you U-Smash if you just hold Up all the way. Most people make it a lot harder than it actually is.

I maintain that this thread is really useful.

Luxor

Smash Champion
It's like the common knowledge that isn't so common thread, only this one tidbit deserves its own thread. It's that good.

It even gives Ganon an OoS option.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike will probably not benefit from this heavily... 7 jump frames + 15 frame uair :x

Hello uair > footstool pikachu

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Im glad someone said something about this. This could really help the icies vs MK mu where they just Dair your shield the whole time, since theoretically we have enough time to Uair OoS, I just didnt know how to buffer it correctly.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Im glad someone said something about this. This could really help the icies vs MK mu where they just Dair your shield the whole time, since theoretically we have enough time to Uair OoS, I just didnt know how to buffer it correctly.
This may or may not be applicable. I did I dissection about this in the skype chat at one point. The issue never ends up being frames when punishing the MK's Dair with IC's Uair. It's the fact that the Dair is done rising which creates a spacing/zoning issue that makes it hard to punish with an uair OoS. While purely on a frame trade level, it seems legit, the time it takes to cross the required zoning seems to dictate otherwise.

I'm not sure exactly how it plays out ideally, it's just a gut feel at this point.

On a separate note, is their some sort of frame advantage that I'm not seeing here with the buffer Uair? Or is the advantage simply out of the fact that you won't jump cancel usmash?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Even if you main Link, Bowser, or Ike, I wouldn't be quick to dismiss this mechanic. Even the slowest U-airs in the game benefit noticeably from buffered initiation. It's something to keep in mind if your opponent is trying to jump around you. Since in all three cases, the U-airs mentioned have useful hitboxes.

...I envy you guys. :(

:069:
Yoshi only can't do it out of shield. Nothing is stopping you from exploiting U-air buffering for any other purposes, and given that his U-air is fast and has good range, I don't see why you wouldn't bother learning this.

This may or may not be applicable. I did I dissection about this in the skype chat at one point. The issue never ends up being frames when punishing the MK's Dair with IC's Uair. It's the fact that the Dair is done rising which creates a spacing/zoning issue that makes it hard to punish with an uair OoS. While purely on a frame trade level, it seems legit, the time it takes to cross the required zoning seems to dictate otherwise.

I'm not sure exactly how it plays out ideally, it's just a gut feel at this point.

On a separate note, is their some sort of frame advantage that I'm not seeing here with the buffer Uair? Or is the advantage simply out of the fact that you won't jump cancel usmash?
If you're timing U-airs out of jumps, you're probably going to be late by a few frames without extremely extensive practice. And being late by say 3 frames is a huge difference for punishing tight spacing, which is time your opponent gets to move away from you or act sooner.

What's EVEN BETTER about buffered U-air is that if you're setting it up out of shield, you're automatically angling shield upwards, which helps a lot when you're anti-airing. Especially since MK, Mario, and Pikachu have slightly small shields, it's an option that they have even more reason to consider using.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah I know right? I've been doing this since 08 I didn't know I was so far ahead of the metagame....
A lot of people did NOT know you could buffer an Up Air out of shield, because if you do not do it in a specific way, you will execute an UpSmash if you try to buffer Up and Attack. Please hide your ignorance a little better.

napZzz

Smash Hero
great, another tool for metaknight (who obv benefits with this much more than anyone else) to abuse

does tap jump affect this?

Top Bottom