• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wish I still loved this game

j3ly

Smash Champion
I wish i still loved this game.. I remember when:

I had no idea what it felt like to not want to play smash
I would travel around and be more than happy to do it
We would play for 12 hour stretches
Playing the best in the country was a big big big deal.
I would play smash, think about smash on the way home then watch vids at home then dream about smash.

If I could bring back an intense passion for the game I would, in a heartbeat, but slowly slowly.. against my will I can feel smash becoming less important to me.
It's such a shame, I wish I was still super motivated.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Lots of people move on. You get older, more things get involved in your life, and you slowly lose interest. When it comes down to it, smash is just a video game and you shouldn't have to feel obligated to have enjoy it forever. Either way, I'm sure you probably just need a break from it for a while.

Mother****ing Ken Hoang

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Yea, i have to agree with Victra, and to be honest I kinda feel the same way. Idk about you, but I only play this game since my friends play it, but I mean it is really fun. Now, they are slowly leaving it as well, so it gives me less motivation to play it too. Maybe it is time to move on?????? I have been playing it for two years, thats a lot of time right? Anyways victra is right, its just a video game.

Mother ****ing Ken Hoang

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah, like Lveiathan said, when your friends are leaving the game, or priorities begin to straighten out, when smash is a bit further down the list, it does become difficult to still feel the love for the game. I recently started college, and this forced me to move away from home(yay), but I put the controller down for a few months, didnt think about smash... of video games really for that time. But one day I saw my gamecube and my black controller in the closet, so I figured I had time to play. And I did. Now im back on the boards looking for tournaments or smashfests, I think about it pretty constant, and even as we speak, I'm sitting in my Digital Audio class, wanting to go home, and sing-cancel to rest some ****.

You'll either find your love for the game again, or leave it on top, better to get out while your ahead then to become miserable playing the game, and go out on a low.

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol, i just realised my loss of interest in smash coincides with all my friends quitting

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
The Death knell of smash? When friends quit it sucks. bad. I'm gonna keep playing it. there are still things left to prove in melee. more to expand on. I can never forget the good times I've had in melee
The ridiculous combos and silliness
watching epic matches between the pros
the fact that you can trust any melee player you know simply bcuz they play melee lol
i mean ppl house other ppl they dont even know based on the fact they play this game
that is trust
if melee can create that trust i feel like its more than just a game
its a source of unity. It's a country of its own
it's own culture
we have our own jokes, our own government lol in a way.
melee isnt just a game.
it's a life.

j3ly

Smash Champion
plus think of all the water the communities save in not showering ^_____^

0Room

Smash Lord
Yeah man, when I left to go to Boone, all my friends back home stopped playing.
Why?
Because there wasn't anyone around to play.

Same thing as you.
So if you wanna get back into it, [as I assume you do, because you're posting this] what you should do is hold a smash tournament at your house or something.

Just host one on smashboards, maybe text a few friends who only casually play or something, and just get a scene started. That's what I'm doing in Boone NC, just getting people to play consistently, going to a tournament outside of the area every now and again.
It works wonders I promise you.

Soon you'll be back in the "I NEED TO GET BETTERRRRRR" mode.

j3ly

Smash Champion
london has the biggest scene in the uk by far, i have plenty people to play but i made those friends through smash, not in spite of it. as they say, the older you get the more you need people who you knew when you were young.

in terms of playing smash i have it good - people travel to mine like its not a big deal, also my crew play at a constantly free-house next to my college (high school). when i do play - 2, 3 times a week, the longest i can go for is between 20mins - 2 hours. after that i need a 2/3 hour break

Zodiac

Smash Master
Im finding less time for smash myself, I can see myself quitting one or two years time, don't worry it happens to everyone, whether your just quitting to take a break or quitting for good. Dont worry quitting isnt a bad thing. And also the fact that you wish you still loved melee probably means you just need to take a break for a while.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
i started to get bored/frustrated. i usually stop until i want to play again, or i learn different characters. but yeah i can see how people just dont feel like playing after a while. play when you want, dont play when you dont want

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
what if ken came back except trolled us all and played brawl instead?

Mother****ing Ken Hoang

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
yea this game sucks

lets all play street fighter and then quit that too

games suck

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Well to put it simply, time goes on. Melee is merely a video game, eventually everybody will get bored of it and move on, depending on a number of factors.

I would quit if there were no players in my area...
There is one of them. Most people would in that situation. Melee requires other fun people to play with, playing cpus forever sucks, and driving/flying for hours just to play gets straining.

Then it happens that you just get bored of the game. I don't know who's been playing melee the longest, like from way back when, that would be interesting to know. So yeah if you're just done with the game don't feel bad, move on with your life and think of all the good times you had. Who knows, you might get interested again.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
As long as people still play this game, I will keep playing.

I don't think I can ever get bored of melee or just stop altogether at any point of my life, excluding if I get arthritis or my hands fall off.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
I think every melee player on the boards should put "Mother****ing Ken Hoang" in their signature. He'd probably find out about it some way or another and make an appearance or something lol

but more on topic, my friends and I haven't been playing as much as of late and I have been thinking about the game alot less. But I still enjoy playing and I get the same old rush when I'm playing, but when I'm not playing I don't really feel the need to like before. Guess it's time for a break?

Mother****ing Ken Hoang

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
In the end, life is more than just about smash. Though highly enjoyable there's so much more than just smash. And that's okay, enjoy it while it lasts, and move on. It'll happen to us all.

Mother****ing Ken Hoang

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
you guys all just live in ****ty regions thats all LOL

if youre bored of the game but youre not a top level player, then you just got bored of not being able to improve

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
heh I know what you mean OP.. I see so much passion to improve in people just recently starting to improve more.

But a lot of my friends play smash, so I continue to play as well. That obsession I had many years ago which fueled my improvement is gone, I would analyze everything back then... But it's still fun, just not so much after 1-3 hours or playing sober :p :p

I don't know if you attend nationals, but it can help get back into it. Just don't play for several months, then a lot a month beforehand. Smash is interesting if you take a long break, and being interested = motivation to not screw around all the time...

great game, but just so many years has gone by with it.

Mizar

Smash Ace
My biggest motivation is the community. Like I got to know some cool people not far away, if it weren't for them, I've quit a long time ago. Fun times and new friends, thats what kept me going. Tho I'm still aiming for top in the back of my head.

Mother****ing Ken Hoang

j3ly

Smash Champion
im good, ranked 3rd in uk rankings (VA isnt on the rankings yet, he will push me down to 4th for sure)

to clear a little something up - i mained mario until a month ago, who took me to 5th
now i main falco i am 3rd (realistically 4th). i have every reason to carry on in terms of improvement - ill place 4th no matter who I use, and prof and fuzz are starting to look more and more average instead of some demi gods. last tournament I made £40 in MM's. Christmas time 2009 I couldent even make it out of pools now im a pro seed. With the right partner (SWIZZY <3) its 2nd in doubles

SNY is hosted here, and all the players from england/scotland come to london events. in addition to that, there is no contest that my crew (TescoCrew) play the most smash, which is located literally next to my school. btw we are by far the coolest crew in the uk :) check out deathgazers tech skill vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p002gYUn-G8

so if im improving faster than ever, playing more smash than ever (i still get massive cravings every day or so, luckily i can alleviate them so easily), my crewmates are starting to catch up which makes me happy then:

whyyyyyyyy oh whyyyyyyyyy can i only play for 2 hours at a time :(

Pi

Smash Hero
what are you trying to accomplish when you play

there's no way i could play melee for extended periods of time if i wasn't aiming to improve

if you don't care to play melee for too long then maybe you've lost your desire to become better

and don't hit me with that 'i just want to have fun' bull ****

if we all played just for fun with no other motivation we wouldn't still be playing today

for me, playing and seeing improvement in myself and others, recognizing patterns (consciously), capitalizing on reads, pulling out unique interesting combos, that's all fun, but it's also me improving

if i ever get to a point where i don't see myself improving, or don't have the motivation to improve, any further, i'll probably quit the game, unless i'm #1, then i'll pick up other characters

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I can't get sick of it. It's a problem.

I practice in training mode, go to smashfests/tourneys, get DESTROYED, lose confidence and think that I suck...

then start playing again a few days later like nothing happened. AND IT FEELS SO RIGHT.

Smash is like a drug. You just come crawling back.

Except for mother ****ing Ken Hoang.

Top Bottom