• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Meat Boy THE THREAD

AfroQT

Smash Master
Seriously this game is more then just a random game, it seriously is the best 2D Platformer i've played in a very very long time.

Its only about 20 bucks, if you enjoy challenges, have a sense of humor, and like platform-style games....buy it.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I just finished collecting all 100 bandages, now i only need to A+ the remaining stages. Chapters 1-6 won't be very difficult. Chapter 7 is ****ing insane though.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
wait.... is this by the makers of n-game????

the physics are real similar, jw, prob not i know

xXxCMONEYxXx

Smash Rookie
No it's not the same people. The ninja from N is an unlockable character for the xbox version. Surprised people that played this didn't know about Meat Boy the original flash game.

The games amazing though but be prepared if you have it on PC like me. Keyboard is soo much harder then gamepad.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Rofl yeah and if you have the PC Version you can unlock him.

It's funny because Meatboy is not made of animal meat, hes just a boy without skin.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I bought this and didn't think it was going to be harder than IWBTG

Then I got to the kids level.

/rage

AfroQT

Smash Master
I bought this and didn't think it was going to be harder than IWBTG

Then I got to the kids level.

/rage

Honestly, and i say this with no sarcasm, i wouldn't put any of The Kid's levels in the top 50 hardest levels in the game.

Also
I fully completed the game, every stage A+, all bandages collected, all characters (including the Meat Ninja) all achievements.

Team Meat (the developers) said that they could only fit 12 achievements on the 360 version. The achievements they cut out were the "Iron Boy" runs where you do a chapter, without dieing once. In the PC version they have one for each chapter, on the 360 version they let you do any chapter and you get the achievement. So i'm going to try and do every chapter without dieing once, i already did Chapter 1, Chapter 2 probably won't be that hard and neither will Chapter 3...but 4, 5, 6 and The Cotton Alley are going to be ridiculous.

FINALLY,
If you haven't purchased this game, DO SO! It is amazing and will provide you with many many hours of enjoyable platforming as well as many many more hours of challenging platforming. You can purchase it off steam, and there is also a PC Edition you can purchase from the Team Meat website (which comes with a bunch of extras), and of course you can buy it on the 360 for 1200 MS points (it might be 1600...i'm not sure).

--Afro, Golden God

AfroQT

Smash Master
Super Meat Boy 50% off (7.50) on steam right now.
Chances are you can afford 7 dollars, buy it you won't regret it.

--Afro, Golden God

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
This game is kicking my ***. It makes me feel 10 again, sitting there with my SNES controller and raging at Donkey Kong/Mario/Mega Man.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
****ing Minecarts.

How do they work?

It's better when you're playing in front of other people/while others are watching. Rage factor goes way down, calm factor skyrockets. This really needs to come out for wii, going to mundungu's place and playing every 3rd week isn't cutting it.

Hopefully Epic Mickey holds me over till then.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Finally finished the last level of cotton alley after like 200+ deaths, saw the name of the level, and raged.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
Yea YEA YEA YEA YEA!
It's supposed to out for Wiiware, at least from the information I've seen.
The WiiWare version got canceled since nintendo had a limit which has to be 50mb to be available on the Shop Channel.

Team Meat was able to do that but it took out more than half the stages and left 5 songs in it. Team Meat said it would be an embarrassment compared to the original version on PC even though it was supposed to be a WiiWare exclusive that is no longer the case now.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
the wiiware version got canceled since nintendo had a limit which has to be 50mb to be available on the shop channel.

Team meat was able to do that but it took out more than half the stages and left 5 songs in it. Team meat said it would be an embarrassment compared to the original version on pc even though it was supposed to be a wiiware exclusive that is no longer the case now.
your too slow!

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
It was sort of in response to "you wont regret buying this". And it is a buggy mess with no depth, it is like 400 levels of sawblades and lava pits, the only replay value is the leaderboards and they are all filled with impossible glitched times. Gameplay is shallow and the characters are primarily useless, you either use meat boy and memorize the sawblade patterns or use naijia (sp?) and mash space and shift until you get lucky.

AfroQT

Smash Master
It was sort of in response to "you wont regret buying this". And it is a buggy mess with no depth, it is like 400 levels of sawblades and lava pits, the only replay value is the leaderboards and they are all filled with impossible glitched times. Gameplay is shallow and the characters are primarily useless, you either use meat boy and memorize the sawblade patterns or use naijia (sp?) and mash space and shift until you get lucky.
Well i like the game and i don't think its shallow. Some of the characters aren't useless, infact some definitely aren't as you can't get some bandages as meatboy you have to use another character. Plus, the meat ninja you refer to cannot be unlocked until after you 100% the game...so you can't do anything and get lucky.

I don't see how "memorize the sawblade patterns" is any different then playing any Mario game or any platformer in general. If you don't like platformers then you shouldn't get Super Meat Boy.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Oh I wasn't using the meat ninja, I mean the blue thing with the air dash. I don't have everyone unlocked yet.

Memorization was passable for game design back in the days of Mario 1 but there is almost zero variety in Meat Boy's gameplay mechanics. Despite being a bare bones platformer, even Mario 1 had koopa shells to kick around, powerups, hidden blocks, *real* warps, and so on. This pales in comparison to gameplay variety in other decades-old NES titles like Little Nemo, Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus, and of course Super Mario Bros 3.

Meat Boy just strikes me as being hard for the sake of being hard. IWBTG at least had some good charm to it. Apples falling up, Mike Tyson, tetris blocks, etc. SMB is just a whole lotta sawblades, and as I got farther into the game, it seemed to run out of interesting ways to be difficult. The tunnel in 5-15 stood out as especially asinine. And Bandages, which I first thought were a cool concept, eventually degenerated into several levels placing the bandage near the start and having to either get a key near the end or jumping from the girl to get it, artificially adding difficulty by making the player do a level 3 times without dying. Since the leaderboards are worthless, I found no motivation or payoff in any of this. Beating a level just means you watch Dr Fetus punch Bandage Girl and get dumped off to the next sawblade filled level. Snore.

It's not that I don't like platformers, I was just really disappointed that Meat Boy is literally jumping on platforms and nothing more.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Oh I wasn't using the meat ninja, I mean the blue thing with the air dash. I don't have everyone unlocked yet.

Memorization was passable for game design back in the days of Mario 1 but there is almost zero variety in Meat Boy's gameplay mechanics. Despite being a bare bones platformer, even Mario 1 had koopa shells to kick around, powerups, hidden blocks, *real* warps, and so on. This pales in comparison to gameplay variety in other decades-old NES titles like Little Nemo, Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus, and of course Super Mario Bros 3.

Meat Boy just strikes me as being hard for the sake of being hard. IWBTG at least had some good charm to it. Apples falling up, Mike Tyson, tetris blocks, etc. SMB is just a whole lotta sawblades, and as I got farther into the game, it seemed to run out of interesting ways to be difficult. The tunnel in 5-15 stood out as especially asinine. And Bandages, which I first thought were a cool concept, eventually degenerated into several levels placing the bandage near the start and having to either get a key near the end or jumping from the girl to get it, artificially adding difficulty by making the player do a level 3 times without dying. Since the leaderboards are worthless, I found no motivation or payoff in any of this. Beating a level just means you watch Dr Fetus punch Bandage Girl and get dumped off to the next sawblade filled level. Snore.

It's not that I don't like platformers, I was just really disappointed that Meat Boy is literally jumping on platforms and nothing more.
Collecting keys, breaking down walls, going up...wall escalators, unique boss fights, warp zones as well as character warp zones, gravity changing devices combined with multiple characters sounds like a great platformer to me with loads of depth AND challenge (something mario didn't have). You want to talk about motivation, i can't bring myself to play Super Mario World again because i can pretty much beat the game only holding forward and jumping (obviously some levels do not apply)

Sounds to me like you just don't like this game, which is fine. You haven't really named any reason that it would be "bad". I honestly don't think you've gotten far into it, because you only talk about sawblades, which honestly pretty much die off around World 5 and definitely the Cotton Alley. Infact you definitely aren't far into the game in terms of completion because if you think the games run out of interesting ways to be difficult there is no way you've even started The Cotton Alley.

Top Bottom