• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Meat Boy THE THREAD

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Sounds to me like you just don't like this game, which is fine. You haven't really named any reason that it would be "bad". I honestly don't think you've gotten far into it, because you only talk about sawblades, which honestly pretty much die off around World 5 and definitely the Cotton Alley. Infact you definitely aren't far into the game in terms of completion because if you think the games run out of interesting ways to be difficult there is no way you've even started The Cotton Alley.
LOL ok you have to be just trolling now, you cannot possibly be serious

If you asked someone who played SM64 if they remember "the star where you grab the eel's tail" or "when you give the penguin back to its mother" or "navigating the gas maze" or pretty much any star in the game, you'd probably get a lot of positive responses as a result of very memorable design. Seriously, how would you describe any of the pictures above other than "that level where you jump around all the sawblades"? It's not necessarily "bad" so much as it is incredibly bland, cheap, boring game design. It'd probably be great as a little flash game, as is I feel like I paid $15 for a rom hack.

AfroQT

Smash Master
LOL ok you have to be just trolling now, you cannot possibly be serious

If you asked someone who played SM64 if they remember "the star where you grab the eel's tail" or "when you give the penguin back to its mother" or "navigating the gas maze" or pretty much any star in the game, you'd probably get a lot of positive responses as a result of very memorable design. Seriously, how would you describe any of the pictures above other than "that level where you jump around all the sawblades"? It's not necessarily "bad" so much as it is incredibly bland, cheap, boring game design. It'd probably be great as a little flash game, as is I feel like I paid $15 for a rom hack.
5 levels out of 350? It's you who has to be trolling me. There are definitely levels with sawblades, but not nearly as many of them in the end. And for real don't even act like you dont encounter the same enemys (when you go back to the same stage multiple times), the same jumps, hell even bowser is defeated like 5 times the same way. In my opinion, the way you play out each level individually is much more fun then going back to the same level 10 different times to collect whatever it is needs collecting (like Super Mario Sunshine). You are right regarding identifying levels, but honestly they have names. The last picture you posted is 7-20 Brag Rights.

2 of those are the same level (well darkworld/lightworld). The game is also significantly longer then SM64. Like not even comparable.

SSBBWorm

Smash Cadet
I totally want to try super meat boy but im like terrible at games that are difficult for instance, iwbtg. Should jump into super meat boy or work my way up? (I have new super mario bros.) Would it be dumb to try uber difficult game without beating a game like mario?

AfroQT

Smash Master
I totally want to try super meat boy but im like terrible at games that are difficult for instance, iwbtg. Should jump into super meat boy or work my way up? (I have new super mario bros.) Would it be dumb to try uber difficult game without beating a game like mario?
Just buy it and play it holmes you'll love it.

Purple

Hi guys!
I think that if you don't like Super Meat Boy you shouldn't post in this thread imo. Pulls away from the purpose of the thread.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
dark world cotton alley is suicide

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I think that if you don't like Super Meat Boy you shouldn't post in this thread imo. Pulls away from the purpose of the thread.
ok ill stop. but what is the purpose of the thread then :I

perhaps to get my moneys worth ill poop on everyones records. go ahead and add me to steam (eighteenspikes) and ill begin beating every single one of your times.

heres an idea of what youre lookin at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xosc8S82FQE got an 8.47 later but runman videos are boring :oneeye:

Purple

Hi guys!
lol Eighteen Spikes probably bodies all of FL in Super Meat Boy.

Purpose of the thread is to talk about how awesome Super Meat Boy is pretty much.

SSBBWorm

Smash Cadet
Super Meat Boy, for xbox live, i know you need xbox live to purchase but do you need to be on live to play it after it has been purchased?

AfroQT

Smash Master
Noooo i could definitely beat that time, but i don't play on steam and i don't have a recording setup at my house.

Man i'd love to have someone to compete against in this game haha

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm working on no death runs before I start working on leaderboards

although the majority of top times are 0:00 =\

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Noooo i could definitely beat that time, but i don't play on steam and i don't have a recording setup at my house.

Man i'd love to have someone to compete against in this game haha
Really? The 8.47 runman time is almost certainly the #1 non glitched time on steam leaderboards

Curious to know what you can get :)

AfroQT

Smash Master
Really? The 8.47 runman time is almost certainly the #1 non glitched time on steam leaderboards

Curious to know what you can get :)
I would of done the jump off of the first set of breakable blocks differently. I'll try it at some point today, if i can't beat it i'll man up and tell you but honestly i have no way of recording this..i could with my phone i guess.

Im also more of a fan of no death runs. I know the steam version has more iron boy achievements. I've done chapter 1 2 and 3 Ironboy (but you only need to do 1 to get the achievement on xbl). I've put a few attempts into chapter 4 but Hell can be ridiculous sometimes.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
ok I tried naija for the heck of it and the 7.31 is probably legit, groan. not gonna bother grinding that **** out just yet.

I'm wary of trying no death runs because this game is really buggy. Sometimes I just explode on level ground and I've fallen through walls and the game world and splatted enough times to not want a run ruined by it.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Haven't seen any bugs with steam yet

AfroQT

Smash Master
So i tried the Grape Soda time you set (im assuming you used meatboy? i cant tell i know the 8 second time isn't with him) after about 20 or so tries i'm down to 9.73 i'm sure i'll get it later.

SSBBWorm

Smash Cadet
6-5 first level that's real hard stuff
I will beat it, have all dark world versions except 6-5 just havnt started dark world yet

AfroQT

Smash Master
You need to start dark world im telling you its no joke lol especially if 6-5 is giving you trouble.

Renth

Smash Hero
Loving this game so much, just finished light world unlocked The Kid! going back through collecting bandaids and doing dark world now just 100% @ Chapter II taking my time so far having a great time.

p.s. Cotton Alley beats my ***.

oh ya Afro, those glitched out worlds is there a way to make them show up or are they completely random because I 100% chapter 1 and never got it but I only got half way through chapter II and it came out.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Loving this game so much, just finished light world unlocked The Kid! going back through collecting bandaids and doing dark world now just 100% @ Chapter II taking my time so far having a great time.

p.s. Cotton Alley beats my ***.

oh ya Afro, those glitched out worlds is there a way to make them show up or are they completely random because I 100% chapter 1 and never got it but I only got half way through chapter II and it came out.
yeah its completely random : /
To get them i just died over and over in a level that i could see bandage girl from the beginning in each chapter, then completed the level when i saw her (took a few tries per chapter though)

Renth

Smash Hero
one important thing that is pissing me off beyond belief. I got A+ on both Light and Dark world levels in hell I collected all 20 Bandages and it's telling me I only have 96% of the chapter beaten!? ?!??!! Why!?

edit: common glitch chapter IV (Hell) often tells people they only have 96% completion.

edit edit:

The Dark World for Rapture is such a pain ugh. even the warp zones are putting me down. I'll get it though just gonna take some time and patience.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
finished dark world hell earlier, I'm pretty sure those black mouth things are my most hated obstacle in the game

AfroQT

Smash Master
Haha if you hate those things (and i do too) there are some levels of The Cotton Alley you really gonna hate.

Top Bottom