• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Critique Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Alright guys, since no one had a real objection to this thread, I'm going to go ahead and make it.

Just post a video or two(not too many at a time please) you want critiqued and I'm sure that someone will give you a fair critique.

*If anyone has further suggestions for this OP(like a suggested video posting format) then it can be discussed in here as well.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
I thought we had one of these already?

i donno im ***in tired right now.

you know what.. im bored. sure ill go find some recentish videos of me and post them..

edit: wheres some of my vs. saux's marth, jiggs, fox from a tourny not too long ago.

vs. marth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiChubExB4c lmao at my marth killer attempt in that one... so funny.

vs. jiggs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7P9KRJw-Yc&feature=related
lol ending of that match.. too good.

vs. fox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAajl2AWgE&feature=related
I feel bad posting that one.. lol. saux was having a off day, hes a lot better than these matches show

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Game 1 vs Falcon:

0:09- Ran away from Falcon as opposed to Utilt'ing his approach or just dodging it in some other way. Also, you failed to CC shine the jabs, but you got away so that's sort of okay.

0:11- double jump Dair is almost always a bad idea, and from a platform into someone is no exception.

0:15- get up Dair(reverse or not) is a pretty bad idea from so far away. Observe the opponent more.

0:32- a lot of extra shines you're throwing in there. Falcon can't do a lot about shielding a shine in the first place so don't worry about double shining unless you see him jumping right away after a shine.

0:46- walljump Dair is too risky lol.

1:16- Run up grab on a quick character like Falcon? I don't think you'll be able to pull that off too much. Better off laser grabbing usually if you're looking for a grab, or at least conditioning shields a little more first.

1:27-1:30- A lot of awkward decisions that seem to be hastily made. You can't always react to Falcon. Sometimes you have to predict him and cover as much as you can using what you know about him. Falco's slow so compensate for that.

1:34- The DJ Uair isn't really a good idea and certainly not when you're that close anyway.

1:51- May be better to just WD OOS or roll away in this scenario as you just got hit and he shielded. He would have moved quickly and you didn't have momentum so it would've been better to reset.

side note: you need to tech a little more

vs Fox game 1:

2:09- Hasty attempt at a follow up. Be sure to read Fox's DI and where he's going to land to see if you could have attacked as Fox fell instead of going for the shine.

Then you start Fsmash'ing under the platforms...you might have to be directly under the opponent for it to work but I dunno you keep missing so it doesn't look like a good idea.

2:47- Why go for the waveland? Just to look cool? I dunno either way it's not usually worth it with Falco.

2:54- % was too low for a Dsmash and the preceding grab was too late.

3:05- You could've Uptilted earlier, but that works too. Not the following DJ though....do a Dsmash or CC attempt or DD shield or something else instead.

3:10- Above the edge? You could have just Dair'd him.

3:15- Forcing the combo. You should have just attacked him while you were on the top platform.

3:34- Got into a rhythm and quit watching the opponent.

3:35- Double lasered from the edge when the opponent was too close.

3:51- Shine OOS

5:14- Be ready for everything.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I thought we had one of these already?

i donno im ***in tired right now.

you know what.. im bored. sure ill go find some recentish videos of me and post them..

edit: wheres some of my vs. saux's marth, jiggs, fox from a tourny not too long ago.

vs. marth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiChubExB4c lmao at my marth killer attempt in that one... so funny.

vs. jiggs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7P9KRJw-Yc&feature=related
lol ending of that match.. too good.

vs. fox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAajl2AWgE&feature=related
I feel bad posting that one.. lol. saux was having a off day, hes a lot better than these matches show
vs Marth:

0:07- Dair'ing under Marth? Uair at least so you can maybe start something since Marth wasn't FF'ing.

0:12- Not a good idea to jump up and challenge Marth if he's on a platform like that. At least space yourself shooting the lasers farther from him(run off left side double laser maybe?) if you're going to do it.

0:16- Missed two good laser opportunities. Move/laser more accurately to avoid getting easily Fair'd like that.

0:21- lasers were too early.

0:37- If you get caught without invincibility there, it's usually best to try and go some type of standard getup like getup attack or roll or something so you can avoid the attack at least.

0:47- played around with Marth too long(Marth would obviously shield when you're invincible), and DJ'ing to aerials vs him and usually anyone is usually bad.

0:58- hasty decisions. take your time once Marth's in stun because you have the control while comboing.

1:07- Shine up-B would've worked, but shine Bair could have been very effective as well.

1:28- lol

1:41- Even though it's hard, it's best to not lock yourself into a small part of the stage when Marth respawns. FH'ing does sort of give you some breathing room until the invincibility wears off though.

1:47- Got caught trying to be tricky again. And doing the same type of maneuver no less. At least switch up your platform game if you're going for that on Marth. I suggest something with Bairs.

1:54- Got stuck twice in a row there just out of Marth's range because you weren't moving enough. Don't be afraid to move in or out a litter farther than you want because it messes with Marth as well. Trying to keep an optimal range all of the time will only make you feel confined to a small part of the stage, and that'll just get you hit a lot. Be more flexible basically.

1:59- Bad idea since Marth's right beside you, but also waaaaay too high of double lasers.

2:03- Tech skill.

2:10- A lot of unnecessary movement that didn't get you a hit. You had pressure at times but you need to learn to make it more effective.

2:46- laser was too high

vs Jiggz:

0:06- way overshot 2 aerials on puff's shield. Puff shielding is when you want to take advantage, not hit and run.

0:08- baited the shield grab, so punish!

0:12- 2 bad DJs in a row.

0:17- no way the uptilt could have hit. a fallthrough Bair or maybe another attempted Dair would have been cool though.

0:19- Why spotdodge? Puff was just sitting there. Bair/WD OOS/FH OS away or something, there were a lot better options there.

side note: you whiff a TON of things vs puff like lasers and flying crazily aerials. Watch Puff more closely so you can hit her more/control her better.

1:09- Jab to grab while puff is airborne? Nah. That Dair to Uptilt you did earlier wouldn't have worked either because of %. Be sure you're watching % when you choose moves and followups.

1:30- As tempting as that type of move is with pressure on you, it's best if you never make it lol.

1:34- Not sure why you ran so far from Puff....

side note: on good puffs, you won't be hitting those SH forward hitting Bairs. Be careful with them.

2:23- It would have been okay to do a phantasm there since Puff was pretty far away.

2:52- Missed a great grab opportunity.

3:02- Bad DJs, once again.

Wii Lee

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYCqbmSL9s

Well, I won the two first matches, but I end up losing the set (i'm the blue-team-color falco) :(
I don't know how to handle this kind of Falco, and once he gets used to my playstyle, I felt like I couldn't do anything. Can you advice me PP ?

Constellations

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJtZbdoCu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh495Ap_zLc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5vQvp5PJq8

I recently started playing Falco, so some advice against Marth (and some tips for Melee in general) would be very nice.

Some things I noticed from watching this and personal experience vs ILM in general,
He ***** me with u-tilt. How should I go about avoiding this?
When I hug the wall to recover, I can normally ledgetech, but he likes to counter my firebird and I can't seem to get the timing to tech it.
Yeah, I know I do a lot of ******** accidental fairs, hopefully I'll fix that with time.

Thanks for any advice people are willing to share.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
vs Marth:

0:07- Dair'ing under Marth? Uair at least so you can maybe start something since Marth wasn't FF'ing.

0:12- Not a good idea to jump up and challenge Marth if he's on a platform like that. At least space yourself shooting the lasers farther from him(run off left side double laser maybe?) if you're going to do it.

0:16- Missed two good laser opportunities. Move/laser more accurately to avoid getting easily Fair'd like that.

0:21- lasers were too early.

0:37- If you get caught without invincibility there, it's usually best to try and go some type of standard getup like getup attack or roll or something so you can avoid the attack at least.

0:47- played around with Marth too long(Marth would obviously shield when you're invincible), and DJ'ing to aerials vs him and usually anyone is usually bad.

0:58- hasty decisions. take your time once Marth's in stun because you have the control while comboing.

1:07- Shine up-B would've worked, but shine Bair could have been very effective as well.

1:28- lol

1:41- Even though it's hard, it's best to not lock yourself into a small part of the stage when Marth respawns. FH'ing does sort of give you some breathing room until the invincibility wears off though.

1:47- Got caught trying to be tricky again. And doing the same type of maneuver no less. At least switch up your platform game if you're going for that on Marth. I suggest something with Bairs.

1:54- Got stuck twice in a row there just out of Marth's range because you weren't moving enough. Don't be afraid to move in or out a litter farther than you want because it messes with Marth as well. Trying to keep an optimal range all of the time will only make you feel confined to a small part of the stage, and that'll just get you hit a lot. Be more flexible basically.

1:59- Bad idea since Marth's right beside you, but also waaaaay too high of double lasers.

2:03- Tech skill.

2:10- A lot of unnecessary movement that didn't get you a hit. You had pressure at times but you need to learn to make it more effective.

2:46- laser was too high

vs Jiggz:

0:06- way overshot 2 aerials on puff's shield. Puff shielding is when you want to take advantage, not hit and run.

0:08- baited the shield grab, so punish!

0:12- 2 bad DJs in a row.

0:17- no way the uptilt could have hit. a fallthrough Bair or maybe another attempted Dair would have been cool though.

0:19- Why spotdodge? Puff was just sitting there. Bair/WD OOS/FH OS away or something, there were a lot better options there.

side note: you whiff a TON of things vs puff like lasers and flying crazily aerials. Watch Puff more closely so you can hit her more/control her better.

1:09- Jab to grab while puff is airborne? Nah. That Dair to Uptilt you did earlier wouldn't have worked either because of %. Be sure you're watching % when you choose moves and followups.

1:30- As tempting as that type of move is with pressure on you, it's best if you never make it lol.

1:34- Not sure why you ran so far from Puff....

side note: on good puffs, you won't be hitting those SH forward hitting Bairs. Be careful with them.

2:23- It would have been okay to do a phantasm there since Puff was pretty far away.

2:52- Missed a great grab opportunity.

3:02- Bad DJs, once again.
Wow thanks a lot pp. you are so helpful. I never realized how often I do that DJ thing... damn.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYCqbmSL9s

Well, I won the two first matches, but I end up losing the set (i'm the blue-team-color falco) :(
I don't know how to handle this kind of Falco, and once he gets used to my playstyle, I felt like I couldn't do anything. Can you advice me PP ?
Game 1:

0:01- Watch the opponent more closely. A weak Nair like that which comes in so far is obviously not FF'd so you could CC shine it easily. You also could have uptilted to beat the Nair. You don't have to run everywhere all of the time.

0:06- A lot of bad running around on platforms with no lasers coming out. Practice your laser techniques so that you can perform them and keep yourself safe while pressuring the opponent effectively.

0:16- Turnaround Utilt again or Fsmash or shine or something after that Utilt. He DI'd perfectly for you.

0:19- Fair onto the stage? Either way, you shouldn't have grabbed the edge. You should have lasered the opponent's up-B so they could have dropped and been easier to edgeguard with moves like Dsmash.

Hmmm....watching this, I think it would be better to give general advice for now.

Get your tech down first and learn some basic Falco combos so that your reads can be capitalized on more effectively. Also, your laser game and movement needs to be worked on pretty extensively. Don't act on instinct so much, throwing out quick dash attacks or aerials, but rather try to get into a "flow" about the way you move and play.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJtZbdoCu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh495Ap_zLc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5vQvp5PJq8

I recently started playing Falco, so some advice against Marth (and some tips for Melee in general) would be very nice.

Some things I noticed from watching this and personal experience vs ILM in general,
He ***** me with u-tilt. How should I go about avoiding this?
When I hug the wall to recover, I can normally ledgetech, but he likes to counter my firebird and I can't seem to get the timing to tech it.
Yeah, I know I do a lot of ******** accidental fairs, hopefully I'll fix that with time.

Thanks for any advice people are willing to share.
Game 1:

0:04- Tech skill. Make sure you FF correctly so that your shine connects after a successful Dair.

0:09- Keep moving! Don't just let Marth land like that. Nair'ing Marth out of the air or forcing his double jump to Bair'ing him is something you should always try to do instead of hoping he lands misses a tech and gets Fsmashed.

0:15- Bad timing on the Dsmash.

0:16- Know the range of your dash attack and don't be so quick to try to get a hit. Sometimes you just have to SHL over for a hit or accept that you can't quite reach someone.

0:17- Tech skill for the 3rd/4th time this game already. Get your SHFFLs down.

0:19- React instead of mash helplessly so you could have jumped to safety/had a better chance of living.

0:22- wtf you said you couldn't tech this lol

0:27- It's not worth it.

0:34- Tech skill.

0:41- A lot of unneeded flash. If you get a shine, don't assume they can always be aerial'd right afterward. Especially with Uair....But anyway, do more DJFF aerial follow ups more or just hit with a laser to keep your opponent in the air a little longer and scare them more and add on damage.

0:46- Tech skill?

0:48- Waited too long on the edge+Marth was too close to edgehop double laser. Regrab and then waveland onto the stage or the side platform or do some other getup.

1:01- Don't double jump right into Marth because he'll easily hit you then. Maybe you could airdodge past him or double jump kinda close and then side B or up-B, but never double jump into him. It's too slow.

1:15- No need to be so hasty with the Fsmash. Wait and see if Marth does something like that roll you can punish sometimes.

1:44- Way too flashy and couldn't do much at a low percent anyway.

That's pretty much all it is though. Tech skill and trying to be too flashy. Practice some actual combos that work and make sure you have your tech skill down, and then cool stuff can come once you have a better handle on the basics.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I am really new to this game haha but I really want to get better. Here is me playing a samus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5XSUmuFjNI&feature=related
Game 1:

0:09- Don't Dair through Samus. You want to start a combo with that move. Nair may have been better since Samus was in the air though and Nair carries them with you.

0:14- Probably better if you Dair'd for a tech chase on a platform, but that wasn't a bad idea...

0:21- No one is gonna come down onto you with you swinging like that. Either go up to Samus and Bair or shine her or just wait until she's more likely to fall and then do something like an Uptilt.

0:28- Not sure why you tried that but you could have just grabbed the edge on your own or Dsmashed the up-B.

0:51- When you get reset onto the ground like that, it's best to just move away/shield instead of trying to retaliate right away since Samus has the momentum.

0:56- Tech skill.

0:59- Tech skill.

1:02- Tech skill.

1:09- Not a good idea to try that dash attack from so far away, but I can see why you did. Just remember your spacing and your opponent's jumps before you go for that move.

1:21- Not worth it lol.

1:43- Sweetspot'ing the up-B would have kept you from getting Fsmashed there.

2:01- Gotta be faster or just Dair since it'll hit behind you.

2:07- Don't just let Samus grab the edge. Go over and at least Ftilt or something.

2:28- Shield/avoid the missile?

2:35- Extra shine is a bad idea since you whiffed the first one and won't have your double jump.

2:42- That getup you've done twice in a row now. Be careful not to use it too much on better players.

Is anyone gonna help me with this.....?

Wii Lee

Smash Rookie
Game 1:

0:01- Watch the opponent more closely. A weak Nair like that which comes in so far is obviously not FF'd so you could CC shine it easily. You also could have uptilted to beat the Nair. You don't have to run everywhere all of the time.

0:06- A lot of bad running around on platforms with no lasers coming out. Practice your laser techniques so that you can perform them and keep yourself safe while pressuring the opponent effectively.

0:16- Turnaround Utilt again or Fsmash or shine or something after that Utilt. He DI'd perfectly for you.

0:19- Fair onto the stage? Either way, you shouldn't have grabbed the edge. You should have lasered the opponent's up-B so they could have dropped and been easier to edgeguard with moves like Dsmash.

Hmmm....watching this, I think it would be better to give general advice for now.

Get your tech down first and learn some basic Falco combos so that your reads can be capitalized on more effectively. Also, your laser game and movement needs to be worked on pretty extensively. Don't act on instinct so much, throwing out quick dash attacks or aerials, but rather try to get into a "flow" about the way you move and play.

Thank you, I'll work on it ;)

Constellations

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I never noticed how often I mess up my shffls (and yeah, I've noticed I try to be too flashy a lot. It's not as bad in a serious match, but I'll work on it.

WatchYourRadar

Smash Apprentice
Game 1:

0:09- Don't Dair through Samus. You want to start a combo with that move. Nair may have been better since Samus was in the air though and Nair carries them with you.

0:14- Probably better if you Dair'd for a tech chase on a platform, but that wasn't a bad idea...

0:21- No one is gonna come down onto you with you swinging like that. Either go up to Samus and Bair or shine her or just wait until she's more likely to fall and then do something like an Uptilt.

0:28- Not sure why you tried that but you could have just grabbed the edge on your own or Dsmashed the up-B.

0:51- When you get reset onto the ground like that, it's best to just move away/shield instead of trying to retaliate right away since Samus has the momentum.

0:56- Tech skill.

0:59- Tech skill.

1:02- Tech skill.

1:09- Not a good idea to try that dash attack from so far away, but I can see why you did. Just remember your spacing and your opponent's jumps before you go for that move.

1:21- Not worth it lol.

1:43- Sweetspot'ing the up-B would have kept you from getting Fsmashed there.

2:01- Gotta be faster or just Dair since it'll hit behind you.

2:07- Don't just let Samus grab the edge. Go over and at least Ftilt or something.

2:28- Shield/avoid the missile?

2:35- Extra shine is a bad idea since you whiffed the first one and won't have your double jump.

2:42- That getup you've done twice in a row now. Be careful not to use it too much on better players.

Is anyone gonna help me with this.....?
You da man PP! Thanks! I never would have seen any of that myself haha

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I'd be happy to help out giving critiques but I'm not really that good. I can easily help out newer players or people just picking up the character, and I can find holes in better players' games, but I can't give very in depth advice to already reasonably strong players. I'm happy to start helping where I can though.

WatchYourRadar

Smash Apprentice
I'd be happy to help out giving critiques but I'm not really that good. I can easily help out newer players or people just picking up the character, and I can find holes in better players' games, but I can't give very in depth advice to already reasonably strong players. I'm happy to start helping where I can though.
Can you take a look at my vids? the link is above, I am looking for any and all advice!!

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yeah, sure. I can' right now cause i'm not home and i have garbage internet in this hookah lounge, but I'll check them out later tonight.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
smashboardin at hookah lounges, lol u silly

foxlisk u can critique me if you're bored too, i'm not solid enough to not be critiqued.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc4RC4LsYmA

Me vs WarriorKnight's Marth

Disclaimer: i was purposely trying to not use lasers during these matches (and all the subsequent ones that get uploaded).

comments would be appreciated pp :)
Alright.

Game 1:

0:10- Tech skill?

0:13- Bad idea to jab there. Better to have jumped after the empty hop probably.

0:21- Nair or Dair or Fair I guess.

0:27- You would have still been invincible at that time, so you should have just punished him with a Dair on his left side for doing the up-B so early.

0:29- Not a bad idea, but Marth can swing into that easily. Either bait it and CC punish with like Dsmash or Ftilt or something, or just get close and then Bair/punish the Fair before he hits the ground for an easier edgeguard.

0:30- Should have rolled away I think if for nothing else than to be comboed away from the middle of the stage.

0:41- Better not to get on a platform vs Marth like that. Especially such a small one like the one on Stadium.

0:47- Uair.

0:53- Maybe reverse Utilt, but not forward. Shine grab or shine to other tricks would have been good as well.

0:59- Tech skill or just trying to be too quick.

1:15- Follow up that hit. Go for a laser combo or maybe WD back to uptilt or something.

1:19- Threw out 2 moves under Marth. Not a good idea and will get you hit a lot. Be sure you're keeping a closer eye on Marth.

1:25- A little too angsty with the Dair. Not a bad idea though.

1:31- Missed a lot of opportunities to hit Marth because you were afraid to go in. Try to avoid double jumping(easy way to know you're out of options) and landing right back where you started. Obviously the Fsmash was bad too.

1:39- When you waveland onto the stage, try to abuse the invincibility more. Trust your shield and then attack/move quickly when you feel it's out.

1:57- Don't jump so far back when Marth jumps from the edge like that. Just FH Nair/Dair/Bair him or something.

2:14- Easy to say you would have gotten surprised by it anyway, but WK hadn't been throwing out many moves the whole time so it could be safe to assume that, as long as you kept moving you could probably avoid that grab.

2:19- That's why run up shield shouldn't really be used vs Marth for more than a second or two, and sparingly.

2:26- Nair would have been better there if you weren't confident in the combo as it pushed Marth out and gave you a better chance at an edgeguard.

2:45- Got too carried away. React to his landing. If he missed the tech you'd have had plenty of time to Dair him there.

2:57- If you CC Marth's Uair and don't tumble over then just jump out of there.

2:59- Don't quickly double jump though.

3:09- Better not to chance Bairs at someone who is so close and you're just trying to scare. Maybe an empty hop waveland or just empty hop would have served that purpose better.

3:24- Too scared. WD back OOS and you would have been fine.

3:35- You have to hit with the Dair later in order to keep that combo going.

3:56- Ran away from Marth. Should have pressured his landing.

4:00- Lots of safer options you could have done. He was just standing there waiting for that approach so you could have baited his shield or simply moved around more/done an aerial approach.

4:02- Falling with a laser would have worked, but yeah if you're gonna Bair like that do it sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pjCtqMs_4&feature=sub

Me vs SK92, sorry forgot this was made, critiques please =)

Game 1:

0:17- Should have FF'ed so the second laser could have hit.

0:20- Got hit because you tried to double laser out way too far.

0:25- Uptilt/Fsmash/shine?

0:38- Tech skill would've helped with that edgeguard.

0:42- Got hit for tryin to be flashy.

0:54- Follow up your laser hit.

1:19- Fsmash wouldn't have quite connected but a DJ Dair would have.

1:22- No need to try and shine there when you barely caught him trying to run away with the Dair. Uptilt would have been better. Make sure you watch your opponent as he's being comboed so you can follow up better.

1:45- Should have landed on the side platform so you could have shined again as a follow up. That Dair hit hopelessly high.

1:55- Throwing out moves. Make sure you move/attack in such a way that's either a response to his motions or a way that will control what he does.

2:06- No need to laser so high when he's coming in close. Just do a SHL or run off DJ double laser if needed and then Dsmash/Uptilt/Ftilt/Bair as necessary.

2:25- Should have Dair'd OOS to combo.

2:42- Don't just throw that Bair out. It'll get you punished a lot. Be certain you're close enough to your opponent to hit/pressure them with it.

2:44- Most people would double jump away after that dash attack so double laser or uptilt/Bair as necessary.

****, now I can go back to watching zhu vs lucky woooo

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Jc5zrTs_w&feature=autoplay&list=ULUJTEDt-XWWU&index=24&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh_BfjI6wwg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h6SKOQjuRg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MloDVmL5Aio&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

A few matches between Eggm, Cactuar and myself (I'm player 3, btw). I'm still not feeling too strong against foxes, and I DEF need to learn the Marth Match-up ASAP. It's driving me crazy lol. Any tips anyone? The rest of the matches will be coming up soon, and I'll post up the **** Marth vids when its uploaded =)

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
@Stric

I'll be glad to look at the marth stuff when you upload it. Falco vs marth is probably my favorite matchup =P

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Can you take a look at my vids? the link is above, I am looking for any and all advice!!
:06 tech skill!

after the missed dsmash i think you should have daired. nair would have been easier to land but is CC'able. If you choose to grab, at least jump cancel.
fthrow is awful at low percents. it's fine at high percents but at low percent uthrow. he jumped into your dair but he didnt need to, he could have just landed. also move faster after landing.

you then proceed to jump backwards with no plan (no laser and into uncomfortable spacing) and then double jump. the first jump was a bad idea, the double jump was at least a reasonable attempt to correct yourself. you needed to land on a platform after it though, not jump into his bomb. he managed to get hit by your bomb and then not shield/roll after wards so you got a shine but... not a good idea

0:14 i assume that was meant to be a dair, so... tech skill

after the fair lands you land on a platform in a decent position to pressure him. actually you already could have baired him, but even so you're in place to do something, but instead you roll away. if samus hadn't thrown an aerial that would have been a very safe (albeit passive) option, but she already had a fair out and was easily punishable. just an utilt -> uair or something would have been fine

:16 you jump into an ftilt. watch your spacing. you dont want to be landing right in range of an opponent's move. you want to either land at them (which often requires overshooting because they will DD or WD backwards) with a move or far enough away that you're safe, usually with a laser.

after the ftilt you shield. this is an alright option, but be aware that it, obviously, fails to grab. against a character as slow as samus i would recommend buffering a roll. she dash attacks you and you grab her. this is fine but you need to learn shine oos so you can capitalize on those situations better. even nair or usmash out of shield is better than grab when you have time, generally.

fthrow at that percent is fine, but be aware that it has no true followups. all you're doing is gaining space and pressure. the fsmash was the move you wish would hit; you need to throw moves that actually will.

:20 the utilt was a bad idea. samus had no reasont o get hit by that. the only way she coudl have would be by dropping through the platform with a move that couldnt have beaten it, whereas she knows you have that option. since there's no incentive for her to cover that (and you can easily shield->**** any of her options), you dont need to throw the utilt. also you should have CC'd the nair.

the rest of that stock is fine until you go for an unncessary and risky edge maneuver and die. don't do that? pretty obvious why.

I'm not going to critique the opening of stock 2 except by asking you to rewatch it and ask yourself what you expect to happen in that situation. Not what you awnt to happen, what you expect to happen.

jump -> fall down partway -> doublejump is very risky, and landing with an aerial after it is suicide. it's super telegraphed. once your second jump is gone your movement is highly limited and your opponent knows how to **** you for it. at that point you have to just try waveland back or land and shield or something because landing with any lag puts you at huge risk. you didnt get punished here, but you will.

samus gave you her life for free, you should thank your opponent for that. that fsmash wasn't particularly risky, but it wasn't actually likely to land. once ssamus is on the edge, if you stand a little farther away than her ledgehop fair covers and shl she has almost nothing she can do.

after her fsmash, your laser oos would have been a reasonable option except she was invuln, so pay attention to that.

im at around :50 now

laser does not give you a free approach, especially with no momentum. that sh in was asking to get hit.

since you just got hit, you should realize you dont have control. you tried to sh and do something, but think about it. nothing you could have done from a sh was going to beat her dash attack, was it? maybe timed perfectly a sh nair would have beaten/traded, but you did not have the time to get into that mode. you should have shielded (since this player doesn't seem to grab much) or rolled/jumped onto a platform/something else defensive. you can't play aggressively when your opponent has control.

at :53: that sh dair was a really bad option that happened to work. any normal shield pressure from samus would have stuffed it before it came out. I'm not sure what to do against ftilt on shield; you can probably wd oos towards her and do something (maybe just shield again and then be close enough to grab another ftilt/jab)

when you shine -> FH/DJ dair, remember to fastfall and l cancel.

i'm not so sure abuot the dair at :58. sure it beat any jumping actions from samus, as well as WD in, but if she had done somethign more standard like WD back -> ftilt, you would have lost the engagement. so i would recommend thinking about her options and how you should deal with them in this situation.

also learn to punish techs and missed techs better.

if your dair connects at mid-high percent, don't shine afterward just out of reflex, cause it doesn't connect, and it drops the combo

you fsmashed at 1:09 out of fear or confusion. dont.

don't aerial samus's shield. as kirbykaze put it, samus cheats. if you've already ledgehopped and you realize she's shielding, just waveland behind her and take stage control or else grab her.

1:17 wtf, this is twice in one game you have air dodged in place. stop that.

your recovery afterwards was really dumb, not tricky. be smarter, even if your opponent isn't punishing the silly things you do

i know comboing your up-b into another up-b is funny and whatever but if you want to do things right, don't try that. if she had just like drifted to the side or air dodged she would've been fine

around 1:30

as she's trying to come down from the platforms. when you see her nearing landing on one side of the stage and you're relatively far away, shoot a laser at her.

keep the ground. you full hoppd onto a platform. if this was supposed to be a WD, well... practice.

at 1:34 you successfully dodge her dash attack very closely, and are in position to do something, and you don't. the short hop back was suboptimal, but at that point samus had been shielding for a little while and knew she had been out spaced, so she was under some pressure. you could have short hopped and not gone back as far, spaced a bair at the top of her shield and drifted away to bait something, or you could have wavelanded and punished whatever she did. instead you double jumped (STOP THIS HABIT) and got hit by an up-B

2:02

if you're gonna position yourself to punish an option, be ready to actually punish it.

2:08 she jumps from ledge and you could have FH nair'd her and intercepted but you just grab air instead. pay attention to your opponent's movement

2:12 whut

2:18 punish tech/miss better

your third stock was mostly alright

when you have the ledge, fall down really fair - dj - walljump - illusion is actually stupidly telegraphed and easy to ****. don't do it. immediate illusion can work, and immediate walljump to very slightly delay your illusion can work. what you are doing cannot work.

oh, im glad 2:52 happened to make it clear that ledgehop dair is easy to punish and everyone expects it. dont do it very often.

um. i hope that's enough. i can do the other games later if you need me to but that should be plenty to think about

smashboardin at hookah lounges, lol u silly

foxlisk u can critique me if you're bored too, i'm not solid enough to not be critiqued.
haha man i was doing work and **** and distracting myself for a while with smashboards! dont hate :(

and i'll critique you later if you want, i just spent a lot of energy doing that one though.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I will critique later. I've been meaning to make this thread (Every character board should have one) but if I did it would have failed lol.

WatchYourRadar

Smash Apprentice
@FoxLisk

Wow! that was awesome!! Thank you so much man. I am so new, and its nice to see what I should have done rather than what I am doing. You did give me tons to think about. I know I have a long way to go, but I have had a fun first few months playing this game :) I will definitely post more matches if I get them recorded.

leffen

Smash Champion
I sadly got no vids from BEAST :(
Im esp sad me and ajps set vs amsah and zgetto / team UGS didnt get recorded, the sets were so intense with me and ajp doing atleast 5 zero to death team combos : /

We won 2-1 vs amsah and zgetto, and it was a really close set, ending with me with me at ~140% and Amsah at mid percents 1on1, and me barely pulling through.
The set vs UGS was pretty close too, we had a decent lead until armada somehow normal teched my dsmash, and then proceeded to counter with his own dsmash, doing over 50% and then gimping me at the last stock :F
We had a 3-1 stock lead in the second game, until I paused by mistake, costing us the match :<. I've never hated myself more than at that moment >.<

/rant

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Stric's first video:

0:08- Shine sooner.

0:09- Fall with a laser.

0:12- Tech skill kept you from getting the combo there.

0:16- Fthrow DD forward facing Bair?? Uthrow is good for comboing, but if you Fthrow try to get a regrab afterward or at least do an aerial that has a better chance of hitting....

0:25- Small stipulation, but an Isai drop laser would have caused him to fall more and given you an easier edgeguard instead of going and Dair'ing him there. It worked out so it's whatever I guess.

0:38- Tried to be too fast the last couple seconds. If Fox is just sitting in his shield then....grab him some more so those things like double shines will actually be effective.

1:16- Why would you go for triple shining if double shining wasn't working lol. Same principle as before.

1:28- ah ah ah, the spotdodge spacies aren't supposed to do unless conditioned otherwise. Just drop through or Ftilt or just stand there and look back at him lol.

1:37- Too close to Nair. You should have just shined.

1:40- Tech skill due to anxiousness.

1:45- Why Dair off of the platform? You'd be out of range of everything even if it didn't hit him....but it's not a terrible idea to reset there I suppose.

1:50- Second run off was a bad idea. You could have gotten firefoxed that way. Get ready to Bair or Ftilt I guess.

2:12- Same bad spotdodge.

2:43- THAT FSMASH EVERY FALCO WANTS TO DO. React to the tech.

3:04- Gotta Dsmash sooner if you want that.

Work on these bad habits and then you can begin focusing on the more strategy-based aspects of your game. You did some good stuff.

I'm not sure if this will help much because Cactuar knows everything but I'll give this a shot anyway lol.

0:14- Gotta FF the aerial.

0:18- Double lasering too close to the opponent, especially Marth.

0:37- Double jumping to Dair isn't good pretty much ever unless you're Shiz and can use it just right. Just stay grounded and wait.

0:42- Don't be so concerned with the combo so much as the tech chase at that point. Would have been an easy Fsmash read.

0;49- Jabbing sucks vs Marth for that reason lol.

0:51- Sweetspot

0:55- WD back OOS

1:04- Don't roll towards him and then spotdodge. You're giving Marth more opportunities to get you then. Just roll out or just get away from there in some way.

1:06- Alright Dair, but if someone is looking for your quick approaches, be mindful of that in your future attempts to get an opening.

1:17- Might as well have rolled up at that point lol.

1:20- If you're gonna jab try to do something with it. Jabbing for the sake of doing a move is silly.

1:53- Same as last time. Double laser, roll in, spotdodge. All bad ideas at that time.
You got Fsmashed for the following roll you did after all of those this time though.

2:05- Lasers going everywhere but at Marth.

2:19- Double jumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom