• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Critique Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
If you play neutral properly, you never have to think about your actual initiation. You can just do whatever you want because at that perfect position, everything is safe. lolol

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Ya, the starting point for any given initiation is different. Intelligent random selection of viable options is closer to what I mean. It also implies that you have instinctively worked several choices for any given situation into your game that can be used on the fly.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I guess I'll try this. <.<

Game 1:

0:15- This is probably going to be all combo choices lmao. Anyway, Dair again since Upsmash won't stun long enough at that percent and you could get a lot more damage with a shine combo. Utilt could have worked too technically, or even Fsmash if you wanted a quick kill.

0:16- Usmash is laggy and Fsmash is too slow to hit someone laying down. Better to just crouch to punish pretty much anything or get below the platform to get ready to shine.

0:21- To most Falcos, sitting in shield below a platform is an invitation to attack. Might as well have WD'd OOS to Fsmash or something.

0:22- Dair combos better.

0:37- Waited a tad too long on the shine. Could have also Utilted or grabbed I guess. Maybe even Dtilted.

0:42- Even though it's hard, you have to not sit in that spot in Falco dittos or vs Fox in your shield. FH'ing, shield dropping to Bair or laser or something, or just sitting there are just better than shielding by the edge right there. I encountered that today vs Twitch's Fox and for some reason people just take forever when you sit there in your shield. Dunno why but I guess just don't stay like that lol.

0:55- I bet it would have hit if you hadn't used that other one first. You can just wait for the ping to hit him I'm pretty sure.

1:03- You missed....but yeah just chase on the ground so you can laser him before he lands or in this case rising Nair him or something lol.

1:10- I bet retreating Dair would have saved you there.

1:29- Got too carried away haha. Around that percent you don't want to shine anymore after Dairs and dash attack/Fsmash more then.

2:00- Only Nair to Dsmash like that when percent is either a little higher or when he's farther away from you because Nair has to make him go with you if that makes sense and that obviously didn't happen. You probably could have Utilted after that and done something cool though.

2:05- Should have just double Dair'd him lol.

2:25- Don't Nair right there because there's no way he's going to run into you. Just Ftilt the edge or Fsmash it or something to take him out there, but honestly you should probably be lasering his up-B so he has to go lower and make it easier to edgeguard him then.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@FoxLisk: Haha, I'm not good at connecting out of the grab, so I don't use it as much.

Thanks for the critique! A lot of it is definitely just not having as much familiarity with his moves, so I end up using less than optimal attacks just to see how they will work. The way I'm playing Falco right now is more like... doing the move and reacting to how they get hit, rather than having that intuitive sense of where they will be after. Just means I have to play more Falco imo. ;)

Also, about that sitting at the edge thing with the shield up. Ya I definitely agree with you. People take foreeeever in that situation to do something, so it is definitely better to do something earlier. Safest might end up being just wding off the stage.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
@stingers

your laser game is awful. it doesn't restrict movement at all, and you only use it when you're far, far away.

you don't ever grab

your shield pressure is bad

you don't combo except with utilt

you expect utilt to save you from everything dumb that you do

you stand in place utilting like 5 times in a row.

you look like you're not even trying. do you have matches up where you're playing better?

Oskar

Smash Cadet

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Bad habits galore with this falco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivv3KaAIZ6I

Help please ]:
Game 1:

0:23- Should have delayed the Bair so you could have gotten frame advantage and kept great pressure. Marth wouldn't just jump out if you got into a control position like that so an AC Bair really isn't needed.

0:34- No reason to SH into Marth. Just WD/walk over so you can react to whatever happens. CC getup attack into Fsmash is fun as well.

0:38- Marth was too far away to really scare you there, and that's a really unsafe recovery from the edge. Just waveland onto the side platform or onto the stage for starters.

0:56- Shielded when Marth was already rolling up(means you weren't watching him), and then Dsmash(means you weren't reacting). You have time to hit Marth either way, but just stay calm in those situations and realize you have control.

0:59- Dtilt would have killed. If you wanted to follow up the jab correctly though, the best thing you could have hit with would probably have been upsmash.

1:17- A lot of Marths will bait that Bair anyway lol usually not worth it. Better to just recover.

1:23- Make Marth's job harder. Just because he has a sword doesn't mean you can't catch him offguard on the recovery. He can't abuse his range as easily then since he has to go into you.

1:37- Too quick on the Dair. Just try to watch Marth better. If you messed up your tech there, then a laser would have stunned Marth at least and maybe set up for something else.

1:39- WD OOS away probably.

1:53- Didn't take advantage of the stage control you had and instead just jumped around. Also, Marth did a FH Fair which puts him in a terrible position and should have been punished.

2:13- Easy to see that Nair coming and get away if you haven't slowed Marth down with lasers at all. Falco is slow so you have to compensate with lasers at times, and you underdid it on the lasers there. You could tell Marth felt free to move away.

2:22- Wouldn't have been too bad if you had just gotten a little closer. Though Marth really could have just WD'd OOS away and punished you for that. Throwing out moves too quickly, basically.

2:32- No laser setup once again, just a Dair OOS when Marth is too far away. If Marth isn't trying to approach you then a Dair like that will never work.

2:38- Empty SH'ing won't get you much if Marth isn't conditioned to be wary of your SHs(which comes primarily through lasers). I'm pretty sure that if you just weren't so quick to throw out moves and laser more and take stage control better you'd improve a lot with your onstage game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbgaIWIHbE

the quality is pretty terrible, and I didn't have my controller at this tournament if you're wondering about the random fairs.

critiquez?!

Game 1:

0:07- The Uair was pretty bad since it's telegraphed and hard to hit a falling Fox with anyway(especially since none of them will fall directly onto Falco anyway).

0:21- Lasered right past him. Get up with a Dair or a Waveland onstage shine or something.

0:28- Instead of going for that Dair, you should have wavelanded onto the platform so you could have followed the DI.

0:31- Got hit because you tried to Uair for flash or something and got hit after the edgecancel. If Fox can get away before you get there you have to recognize that and not try to force combos or you'll just get kicked in the face.

0:38- spotdodge was kinda silly. Most people don't come right in and grab you so you probably had time to just shield or maybe get a laser out.

0:48- He was already starting to stand up when you got there so that was something that certainly punished your use of shine dair.

0:57- Need to be over by the edge so you can Dsmash/Ftilt that illusion.

0:59- Bair

1:04- Better to move away than fall through a platform and risk getting grabbed like that if you jab on shield and don't get grabbed right away.

1:28- Bad double jump habit. React to that tech and Dsmash him there or react to the getup.

1:31- Dair OOS or WD OOS or roll I guess

1:34- Shine.

1:36- Lower ledgehop lasers or recover differently when Fox is that close.

1:41- Very easy to see FH Dair. Just get down from the platform.

1:48- Gotten upsmashed OOS twice now for jabbing shields and once it killed you.

1:54- Lasered where Fox was and not where he was going to be.

1:57- Too many jabs.

2:00- Spotdodge after you get up again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYWkijm1dSw

Can I get some advice against Fox please? It's by far and away the matchup that gives me the most trouble. I've tried reading up on the MU and watched vids of better Falcos than me playing it, and I sorta feel like I understand what I'm supposed to be doing in theory.. I just can't seem to pull it off in practice. Fox is way too fast =[

Game 1:

0:08- Crouched and then shined hoping Fox would be there when he was in the air. You have to watch him more carefully.

0:15- Nair wasn't into Fox enough so you weren't close enough to Shine. Nair is one of those moves that if you want to combo with it you have to go in on people hard as well.

0:24- Dair'd too early, and you need to SDI his Dair hits.

0:26- Didn't need to spotdodge since you avoided his attack with your getup. Should have just hit/shined him.

0:40- Jab to catch the roll is something everyone does so just Dair him if you get hit sometimes or at least don't always roll lol.

0:47- Nair'd in when he was close and then by the time you got there he had retreated. You have to watch Fox closer and look for times in his spacing/movement game where you can go in. It's hard to do but you just have to know what to look for and how quickly your moves can get to someone.

0:49- Land with a laser.

0:56- Tech skill.

0:58- Watch him more closely! You can't just guess with these types of things. If he's landing and not DD'ing/locked in his shield then the Dair is easy to punish!

1:08- Didn't control Fox and was still trying to pressure him so you weren't watching.

1:18- If Fox keeps powershielding then bait powershields with empty lasers/shooting blanks/whatever to keep them guessing on that.

1:25- Should have CC shined.

1:41- Did the same maneuver 2 or 3 times in a row. You can't go on a lot of set patterns vs Fox because he will simply run circles around you. Be adaptive.

2:03- Either hit him with something strong or react to the tech.

Yeah most of this stuff just looks like what I've said already.

@Stric: You're welcome. =)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
were you guys actually trying to play real those first 30 seconds?

playing against someone you consider really bad won't gain you much[playing nor critiques] unless you can't do falco's auto combos yet

Kanelol

Smash Lord
those were the first 5 games we played that session, so the first few seconds of the first game are just tech skill warm up and whatnot

i do indeed consider him really bad, but I also consider myself really bad

he's also the only smasher within a 200 mile radius :<

Reeper, i want a critique from you :D:D:D

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
ughhh i hate to do this but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlltASwKUfY

any advice vs sheik?

the first match is so fraught with execution errors that im really unhappy about having to post this for advice. but... any useful advice is still appreciated.
and yes i know the end of the second match is the dumbest thing ever... bah.

also rewatching these i feel like i may have lost because of execution errors. int he first game i had two spots where i probably could have recovered but just ****ed up, one stock loss due to a missed tech, and at least 3 obvious places where, were i more on point, i could have combod for a lot more damage. that's dumb. i need to practice tech skill :(

Kanelol

Smash Lord
ughhh i hate to do this but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlltASwKUfY

any advice vs sheik?
I'm just gonna start at the second match, apparently you already noticed most of your errors in the first one.

5:14- Got a little ansty with the second shine. If you had been a little more delicate with it you could've wavelanded into a longer combo. Instead you just kind of.. whiffed it.

5:20-5:30- You looked like you were having a lot of trouble getting back into the middle. Your platform game was ok, but it's alright to be patient on your way back from the ledge.

5:40- That should've been a really easy f-smash punish, and yet.

5:45- Cute up tilt, but chasing vertical moves with an full hop u-air like that isn't the best move, especially on sheik.

5:53- That was a risky edgeguard, even if it worked out that time.

6:36- Messed up some tech skill, but it happens to the best of us.

6:57- I was going to comment on your strange lack of lasers, but it really sort of looked like you just kind of forgot. Then you would remember, and shoot a lot of unnecessary or badly placed ones. This is a prime example. A shield or a grab or a well spaced aerial would've put you in a much better position right here, but you just jumped and lasered and got killed.

7:27- This same **** happens to me. I land a late dair at a high percent and I think my opponents gonna miss the tech or something, so I try for another dair. Instead, they do actually tech away and I'm left in an awful position because I saw the tech too late and tried to float over there during my aerial. Then, I'm badly spaced and I get fsmashed :V You didn't really get punished for it that time, but just for future reference. Especially against Marth.

8:00- Nothing to say about that really, that's just a ridiculous KK edgeuguard.

8:00-8:45- I saw a few times where technical screw ups or just inappropriate shielding prevented you from landing a dair that could've easily led to a win.

WOOOOOOOWW THAT'S A ROUGH ENDING

damn

good matches though, you're definitely better than me

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
WOOOOOOOWW THAT'S A ROUGH ENDING

damn

good matches though, you're definitely better than me
haha ugh i know. i wanted to go down on the left to avoid him for a second and then realized i didnt have time... gah

thanks a ton though. i can't absorb this info til i get home but thanks for helping out!

edit ughh youre so right about my laser game :(

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
heyo, first time doing this, first time recording with my card. Any and all advice is welcome, I know generally what I'm f'ing up on most, I'm looking for more advice around general play, spacing, approaches etc. I also know my laser game is effective, but i never freaking use lasers... lol. For some reason the audio didn't upload... so sorry :(.

So thank you all in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DF01g2ksUk

I plan on adding more videos within the week, so stay posted all you many many viewers. lol.

Thanks again!!

~MOP

chak

Smash Rookie
@MOP
sick falco. i really enjoyed watching it. its so fluid.
i'd just say watch out for when you're double jumping offstage. a lot of times you put yourself in a easily gimpable position.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
huh, you are quite good at that matchup. i dont tend to believe people's assessment of their own skill on the boards.

anyway, here's the things i noticed:
1) you only grab when you're shinegrabbing. you should grab more in general.
2) you should avoid extended shield pressure. you got ***** for it a lot in this match. by game two tink was just WD OoS -> fsmashing you over and over. especially waveshines are weak.
3) your approach got predictable by the end. If you didn't notice, tink was just rolling as soon as you came towards him and then ****** you, cause you were approaching such that you'd land right in front of him, vulnerable when he got control back after the roll.
4) your lasers arent bad but they could be a lot better. you seem to habitually forget about them and then shoot them predictably. at the beginning of th efirst match i think you were using them fairly well but it deteriorated as time went by. actually, i wouldnt be surprised if it was tink's 1 or 2 powershields that made you stop lasering properly, since that's unnerving.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
only watched the first two matches, but some general stuff:

careful about attacking samus' shield, you are going to get up b'd unless the shield is very low. he didn't do it that much initially, but the frequency gradually increased as the match progresed and in the second match he up b'ed a large % of your approaches. aside from the stage change, the up b's were the main difference i saw b/t matches 1 and 2, although i think you got a little impatient once you were down 3 stocks to 1.

dair utilt is preferable to dair shine, which knocks samus too high. saw nairs during some approaches; those will get you up b'd even more frequently

also, i saw that match 3 was on kongo jungle-- why that for your cp?

Pengie

Smash Lord
I went to KJ64 because I thought it would help with the camping, but in hindsight, a smaller stage seems better because I noticed that the biggest problem I seemed to have was actually finishing off stocks. As it stands I'm thinking of CP'ing Yoshi's next time in order to facilitate KO's.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
ah ok. yeah i noticed you had some trouble dealing death blows in the first couple. a few times you lasered to grab when samus' shield was low where a dtilt may have stabbed for the ko

Pengie

Smash Lord
That's a good idea. At first I thought wasn't sure if the down tilt would come out fast enough, but after looking through some frame data it seems to have the same start up as his grab. Thanks a lot!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
heyo, first time doing this, first time recording with my card. Any and all advice is welcome, I know generally what I'm f'ing up on most, I'm looking for more advice around general play, spacing, approaches etc. I also know my laser game is effective, but i never freaking use lasers... lol. For some reason the audio didn't upload... so sorry :(.

So thank you all in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DF01g2ksUk

I plan on adding more videos within the week, so stay posted all you many many viewers. lol.

Thanks again!!

~MOP
0:20- Uair approach is bad because it can't go through the platform and Marth would have time to Fair you by the time you got over there.

0:22- Just kind of let Marth have some stage when he was shielding by the edge when you lasered. You should have pressured him in some way with that much control.

0:26- Trying to be cute instead of effective. Dair him don't waveland tech chase hope for the best Fsmash.

0:34- should have CC'd

0:35- Terrible Dair. Waveland onto the stage, side B, do a normal getup, but just....not Dair lol. It's too easy to see coming and punish.

0:36- No need to firebird there. You just left yourself fall prey to Marth's sword more and most would have killed you there. Just fall to the edge and you'll get there faster more often than not. Or I mean you could have wall jumped to stuff or jumped backward or even shine stall Bair'd or something like that.

0:45- Better to get under Marth, but not a bad idea.

0:47- Better to not fall right into Marth if you can help it lol. Get the game going on your terms.

1:02- DJ'ing above people like that will get you killed easily. Use the double jump aggressively sparingly.

1:11- Dthrow? Any of the other probably could have led to more at that percent.

1:24- Don't go for something you can't get. If you wanted that Uair you should have held the FH just a tiny bit longer.

1:32- Too far to shine Bair, make sure you have the spacing for that.

1:36- Dair at %s this high won't get you much, and the Fair approach is a bad idea as well. Nairs and Bairs are good, and Fthrows offstage can start up easier edgeguards at times.

1:53- Were very late going for the shine waveland, so you need to work on what to look for so you can react more quickly to your opponent. Also try to avoid double jumping into him so much.

1:57- Marth is directly above you so don't Dair.

2:13- If you call something right make sure you're confident enough in your decision to punish lol.

2:23- More patterns and guessing. You almost always have time to tell when you can smash and when you can't after Dair'ing someone into the ground, so take a moment in the future to look for that.

2:41- Get that L-cancel. And CC shield the Nair lol.

2:47- No need to charge Fsmash. Just walk up there and react to what he does or something.

3:11- Do the reverse uptilt to be safe lol.

Now this is in the right place. :)

Me vs Tink (Falco vs. Marth) *one of my favorite MU's, but I want to be better at it...a lot better. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WRopsyDYE
Game 1:

0:05- You're in this position because you tried to laser out of a bad situation too many times without registering what's going on. If you're close enough to get tipper jabbed out of your laser then you need to adjust your spacing in some way so Marth doesn't keep that range because he can punish your attacks/lasers well at that spacing.

0:09- Reverse Dair on Marth who is behind you means it takes forever for the move to hit him so he gets longer to WD OOS away. Just set up pressure again if you don't feel comfortable waveshining in or shine turnaround Dair'ing to pressure. I suppose you could have RSHL'd out of shine as well.

0:14- Gotta know your timing and spacing on the shine. You had the timing but not the spacing. The double Dair is kinda eh at lower percents but if you choose to do it then be prepared to grab or CC a random move or something. Basically I'm saying it's hard to link that to shine a lot of the time.

0:20- Too far away to do that Bair. Just retreat or laser or waveshine in that situation I suppose.

0:41- Don't double jump onto Marth. This happens a lot to you and other Falcos so be very conscious of it.

1:07- You can't scare Marth into DJ'ing if you don't scare him in the first place. Make him work for that recovery.

1:21- Dair executed a little too far in front of Marth.

1:43- Gotta work on that sweetspot/tech.

1:57- Not a bad idea but you have to understand that you have to be closer to Marth in order to hit him with the rising Dair otherwise he'll just outprioritize you.

2:36- No reason to go for that Uair. Don't force combos, just try to get under Marth to keep your advantage so you can potentially get another combo starter.

2:43- With the pace of the match it's safe to say he knew you would have double lasered. Be verrrry sparing in your use of edgehop double laser vs Marth. He's good against that stuff lol.

this all seems to boil down to using the double jump, misspacing Dairs, and sweetspotting/teching. those are the biggest things you can work on for now anyway.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Trahh is quite handsome :B

that is pretty much all I got in the critique field.

And you're from my home land!

Where in vegas are you? I am driving to genesis and am going to stay with some old high school friends in vegas/pahrump. We should have some gamessss.
haha :)

i live in henderson, out by sunset station/fiesta if you know where that is. i am most definitely down i'll be all hyped for genesis too =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom