• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl 64 - Don't Get Hit

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Brawl 64

What is Brawl 64?

Brawl 64 is an attempt to transform Brawl into Smash 64 as close to 1:1 as possible.

This is an abomination!

Thank you.

Short FAQ is short because I'd rather spend time working on the project.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
View this as more a general project thread for me, there's no way I'll ever be able to stick to just one project.

Downloads

Mod | Version | Downloads
Brawl "1.1" | 1.0 | 7
Brawl "1.1" | 0.2 | 1 Brawl "1.1" | 0.1 | 5
# of downloads updated manually

Projects

dBrawl

Contrary to popular belief, the d does not stand for Dirt, it stands for Damien, my actual name.

The more you know.

This project has become a general rebalancing of Brawl more or less. However, unlike Brawl v1.1, I will be changing things left and right to make the game more competitive. Think of this as a take on Balanced Brawl, but changed enough to give people a good reason to play it. Will some changes be completely arbitrary? Yes. Will this probably take a while? No doubt. But I really have nothing better to do when I'm not working.

I will be using a decent portion of Balanced Brawl's character edits as the base, simply because they fix a lot of things I'd have to fix anyways.

Notable characters not using Balanced Brawl's edits as a base include Ice Climbers, Bowser, and Pokémon Trainer.

Brawl v1.1

Because I'm way too lazy to think of a better name at the moment.

Basically the goal of this project is to fix numerous issues with Brawl.

Unlike most mods the goal of this project is to use no file replacement AT ALL. The idea is that an entire tournament could be set up off of 1 SD card, through Stack Smash, removing the whole issue of enforcement of codesets and files.

Current codelist:

Brawl v1.1 with File Replacement
Alternate project I'm working on to the above. This one has character edits in addition to the simple codeset.

Cancelled Projects:
Brawl 64 - not much to say, little work been done, largely in planning
CURRENT PUBLIC BUILD
This is just the old link I had a while back, though I haven't done much work since then this still has no real Z-Canceling or any character edits. Current version does, but I'm not upping it anytime soon.

PosthumusES

Smash Apprentice
This character is being merged with Toon Link and some aspects even of Young Link. Suffice it to say he will be a good character.

>.>

Wanna merge Fox/Falco while you're at it?

Maybe Wolf will be created. Ohwait :(

Life

Smash Hero
Since nobody has mentioned it yet, any Melee techs coming back? (I personally don't care but I figured I'd save someone else the effort)

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
You only have you (supreme dirt) working on this. You have no one else helping you. Some of these things aren't possible such as giving ganondorf a float or having the ability to go from ZSS -> Samus through smash taunt. Also, for your wario idea, making him closer to warioland wario, good luck with that. Project M is already doing this and has done a fantastic job thus far.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
No.

Fox and Falco are DIFFERENT characters.

Link and Toon Link are merely incarnations of the same character concept, merely from different sides of the timeline split. Admittedly, they are not the same Link, as the Hero of Time's bloodline does not exist in Wind Waker's side of the timeline, but that starts to get into the realm of Zelda series timeline discussion, which is not something that should be gone into.

Admittedly there could be argument regarding Samus and Zero Suit Samus, however I plan to address this by allowing switching between the two. This is instead a case of where they are the exact same character, switching makes sense - one has a power suit, the other doesn't - and switching is likely possible within the game itself. Switching between Link and Toon Link is not only impossible, it simply doesn't make sense.

The aspects of Young Link added will be very small. He will mostly be Link / Toon Link.

*EDIT in response to MonkUn1t and InferiorityComplex*

I feared a float was impossible to add. Also, is there no way whatsoever to return to regular Samus at all? I'll have to take that into account when redesigning ZSS.

Melee techs will be on a per-tech basis

PosthumusES

Smash Apprentice
Link and Toon Link are different characters too.
Although they have similar moves, they have different playstyle.
Why would I pick Toon Link over Link if they are the same character?
I wouldn't, because they are different characters.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Initial planned/implemented changes
Characters
:mario: Mario
+1 double jump
Up-B can walljump
Lots of fire on moves
Some more kill power. He currently has FSmash and sometimes DSmash
FLUDD will have a changeable nozzle, likely using a taunt to do so. The second nozzle will likely be the Hover. I may add others, but it could just cause issues. If actual Mario mains would like more than just Hover available to them, I'll consider it.

Good luck with doing that with FLUDD. :p
:luigi: Luigi
+1 double jump
INCREASED TRACTION
Green Missile always misfires, this means a nerf on KBG
Electricity on moves. Shoryuken however will remain Shoryuken.

>Misfire every time
>mfw
:peach: Peach
+1 double jump
Increase parasol momentum

I need ideas on this one

:/
:bowser: Bowser
momentum cancel
Up-B has either super armour or heavy armour in the air
+1 double jump
MAYBE give him 5% heavy armour. BIG maybe as it could easily prove to polarize matchups, something I wish to avoid.

Armor during entire move in air is a bad idea.
:dk: Donkey Kong

All of up-B has super armour on ground
Up-b has vertical momentum
+1 double jump
Dash Attack will be the DKC roll.

Entire spinning kong having SA is really bad. >.>
:diddy: Diddy Kong
Completely overhauling this character. Bananas are unlikely to remain.

Okay...
:yoshi: Yoshi
regular shield? I am unsure if this is possible though.
+3 double jumps
up-B does not stop
Side B does not cause special fall
down-b can be jump canceled
egg lay lasts longer

up-B wings?
Essentially, it would function similar to Wings of Icarus. It would mean moving Egg Throw to Neutral B and removing Egg Lay from the game. I am unsure if it is possible or not however.

LMAO SO MANY JUMPS. Good luck with making those wings. :V
:wario: Wario
This character is being made truer to the Wario Land franchise.

Good luck with this and trying to make it better than the Wario: M moveset. :p
:link: Link
This character is being merged with Toon Link and some aspects even of Young Link. Suffice it to say he will be a good character.

...just, lol.
:zelda: Zelda
up-B and side-B do not cause special fall. Up-B now causes "sort of special fall", like vBrawl Snake.
+3 double jumps. She has MAGIC, and thus multiple jumps.
Nayru's love can approach, similar to bBrawl

XD So many jumps.
:sheik: Sheik
Somewhere between being completely redone and not being completely redone.

Thanks for the specifics.
:ganondorf: Ganondorf
A complete and utter overhaul. Some aspects of the "Captain Falcon but evil" concept may remain, but not really. This means no more Warlock Punch.
He may acquire a float if possible.

WTF a float.
:toonlink: Toon Link / Geno
Very low priority to do. However, as the slot is freed up, I will consider it. There was actually another idea I was thrown by a friend of mine to redo Toon Link as being true... to the Oracle games.

Replacing with Geno?.... v.v
:samus: Samus
Missile canceling
Fall speed increased
+3 double jumps. SPACE JUMP is the justification.
bomb jumping?
MUCH KILL POWER
Roll cancelable with Down-B
FSmash interrupting into firing Charge Shot
Make the taunt combination actually possible to perform

Once again, SO MANY JUMPS XD. And lrn2smashtaunt.
:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus
Complete overhaul. I just think they could have done so much more with her. In addition, I may add the ability to change back to Samus, but I am unsure if this is possible. At least I can't figure out how to do it.

Good luck with redoing her with her file size limit. :V
:pit: Pit
+1 double jump
haiyaiyaiyaiyaa, jump cancelable. I like in Minus how it grab cancels, but kill throws exist now.
arrows gain much more control
DTilt trips on ground
FSmash connects better
Pit no longer falls to his death if grabbed out of wings of Icarus.

Angel Ring being jump cancellable in a game that is meant to be balanced... Dtilt better not trip all the time. >.>
:popo: Ice Climbers
Nana cannot grab. I know I read this being possible, I think it was somewhere in the depths of the bBrawl thread.
+1 double jump
squall does not cause special fall
SoPo selectable

>Nana can't grab
>mfw
;____;
:rob: ROB
May be completely overhauled. I'm somewhat unsure on how to go about this, ideas are welcome.

Sure, I guess.
:kirby: Kirby
More copy ability stuff in his moveset. He may be gaining a projectile other than Final Cutter.
Copying is frame safe

Good luck with adding a projectile.
:metaknight: Meta Knight
Any early releases will simply contain the Balanced Brawl pac. Meta Knight will be being done very late.

:/
:dedede: King Dedede
Not quite being overhauled, but lots of major changes as well as making sure DThrow as a kill move isn't OP with his insane grab range.

y u mad tho
:olimar: Olimar
Olimar will gain an additional double jump. Any other changes will come from the prompting of the Olimar boards.

No one ever knows what to do with that freak.
:fox: Fox
Side-B jump cancels and no special fall out of it.
startup of firefox has super armour.
+1 jump
DAir spikes in air

>illusion is jump cancellable
>JC usmash
>mfw
Firefox startup having SA...just...wow.
>Dair spikes in air
>THAT AIN'T FALCO
:falco: Falco
Side-B does not spike
Dair is a drill on the ground, but has landing lag. Not quite as useful as Fox's, but not useless. Certainly isn't a key part of Falco's game.
reduce fall speed and +3 jumps. HE IS A BIRD.

>Dair drills on ground
>hesomad.gif
:wolf: Wolf
Side B goes further, does not cause special fall, is jump cancelable, end is a true spike
+1 jump
NAir is a useful move
aerial mobility, especially after up-B.

Sure, I guess.
:falcon: Captain Falcon
Unlike other characters, we have nothing to go on but Smash Brothers and the Anime for Captain Falcon. So he will instead be truer to himself.
SFX
Anything involving a knee is electrical
Anything involving punch is fire
+2 double jump. He is the captain after all.
side-b does not cause special fall
falcon kick refreshes jump
Falcon punch has heavy armour

Might as well use onslaught falcon.
:pikachu: Pikachu
+1 double jump
Thunder meteor smashes. This is in part needed because DThrow kills off the top.

hesomad.gif
:pt: Pokémon Trainer
Stamina mechanic removed.
:squirtle: Squirtle
+1 double jump
This is all Squirtle seems to need, they really did a good job with his moveset imo except perhaps DSmash.

:ivysaur: Ivysaur
DAir fires Ivysaur upwards. This not only makes a sourspot of it safe, but it now is a viable recovery option.
+1 double jump
Fastfalls FASTER THAN KING DEDEDE IN VBRAWL. This is because from what I've seen of Ivysaur, he never wants to be in the air longer than he absolutely has to.

:charizard: Charizard
Largely being redone.

lol ivysaur
:lucario: Lucario
+1 double jump
ExtremeSpeed does not cause special fall

Seems good enough i guess.
:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff
Rest heals
Sing jump cancels in the air
Most of grounded moveset will be changed up.

>Sing has JC in air
>WALL OF SING
:marth: Marth
+1 double jump
Marth already is pretty good, and if we were being true to the games he'd have shield breaker, FTilt, and an inability to jump. His sweetspots however may be modified.

more jumps = more fair
:ike: Ike
+1 double jump
Sound effect on counter will begin when it can actually counter
Quick draw does not cause special fall

Another jump would make his recovery better I guess. :V
:ness: Ness
Fix grab release
+1 double jump
More KBG on FSmash
PK Thunder 2 causes Snake Special fall
Possible ZAir with Yoyo, though this may be impossible.

Meh.
:lucas: Lucas
Fix grab release
+1 double jump
PK Thunder 2 causes Snake special fall
ZAir actually does something

Meh.
:gw: Mr. Game and Watch
+1 double jump
Make judgment a practical move

More jumps means more uair. :V
>Make judgement practical
>Get hit with 9
>trollface.gif
:snake: Snake
Reduced hitboxes on UTilt and FTilt
+1 double jump
No more dying to grab release
I really don't know.

Obv.
:sonic: Sonic
Snake special fall from up-B, not air trip fall
Spring spikes
kill power
Taunts are interuptable with everything

lmao taunts
Responses after the collapses.

EDIT: Kind of a waste of my 666th post. :(

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Why add double jumps to add more aerial play? All that does is make recovery even easier, meaning an actual KO will become nigh impossible on percentages lower than 200. If you want to make dBrawl aerial based make the aerial attacks more diverse and more effective.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Alrighty, responding to toaster...

The FLUDD thing will likely take a lot of work. It's not in my current Mario pac simply because I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

Yeah, loads of jumps everywhere.

Yeah, the armour on DK and Bowser I figured wasn't probably that good.

Well aware the wings'll be hard to do for Yoshi.

I've been thinking, and I'm not going to replace TL with Geno.

Not sure how I'll deal with Judgment on Gdubs, tbh.

I don't know why I didn't realize the "Wall of Sing". Just a very slight oversight there.

The +2 jumps for Falcon probably isn't going to last very long.

Now to post this and address the posts above it.

The reason, JKT, is exactly that - to make recovery easier.

Aerials will be made more diverse, no worries there.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Well, there are two kinds of "nohelpless special fall". Sonic's is the other kind, where no specials can be performed at all. I'm considering giving Fox, Wolf and Falco that.

Anyways, I've got things to do today since school starts again tomorrow. Right now development is going to be a little slow as my laptop is fried and I'm getting a new one.

Sometime in the next week I'll be posting a link to the preliminary modset.

I also, unlike other mods, will be holding myself to a timeline. Note that, at least for the moment, the entire team currently only consists of myself.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Thanks, I think I'll definitely need it.

To be honest though, I looked at the logistics of my life over the next few years before committing myself to this.

1) This year I am in high school. Plenty of free time.
2) Next year, and for possibly another year after that, I'm simply working to make up the money for college. This gives me plenty of time to work on this, as most of my friends are away at university.
3) I'm in college for a minimum of 2 years. I'll be living on campus. I will pretty much be made of free time to work on this.

So for at least the next 2+ years, I'll be fine to work on this. The only possible thing that will cancel this project is the release of another Smash Bros, and the tools to mod it.

*EDIT* HOLY CRAP I GOT STICKIED. Didn't notice it initially as I namesearch to get around the forum. Which is kind of silly, now that I think of it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Then help me make it not suck.

Unless your definition of not sucking is "Melee".

Also, I can't bring myself to really do anything right now, but I'm going to try and get something done. Feeling really depressed right now.

For Samus she really doesn't need those Jumps. Her aerial game is fine, but she desperatly cries for some priority outside of zair and uair. CS and Missiles desperatly need more priority. Every other change you made to her is absolutely brilliant.

Peach also wants Kill power.

I would say have SMissiles kill, but I know some people were quite angry about them so nvm that

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Then help me make it not suck.

Unless your definition of not sucking is "Melee".

Also, I can't bring myself to really do anything right now, but I'm going to try and get something done. Feeling really depressed right now.
5ive's just a troll. He leaked a crappy months old Project:M to get people to hate the project, if even that (word is that he just threw it together himself with some leaked codes). Don't listen to a word he says.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Oh, I know. I just can't let things go online. Exact opposite of the way I am irl, for some reason.

I'm making Charge Shot transcendent or do more damage if I can. Priority is purely damage based, iirc, except for damage. I was actually planning on seeing if I could give CS laser properties, since that's what it is. First I have to figure out editing Specials, which I'm having trouble with right now.

*EDIT* Anyone have AA's EventSyntax.txt and Parameters.txt for PSA? I accidentally deleted PSA - since reacquired it - but getting a hold of those would be much appreciated.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Make Falcon punch chargeable like Marth's shield breaker, or shield cancelable like DK's punch.
Screw heavy armor.

Also good luck for all the work you're heading to.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Make Falcon punch chargeable like Marth's shield breaker, or shield cancelable like DK's punch.
Screw heavy armor.

Also good luck for all the work you're heading to.
No, and no. Doesn't quite work like that from what I can tell.

I may make it interrupt from just after he pulls his fist back until the actual PAUNCH would connect, though. So it's like he's faking you out.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Make Flame Choke leech (steal) 3% upon contact,
giving Ganon 3% health back.
... Also, 5%-armour on the move.

Frame 4 Jab.

Better Grab Range.

+ 1 jump.

Better hitstun on Dark Dive.

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
by "modified" do you mean the ability to add/reduce hitstun to attacks?

Revven

FrankerZ
Yes he does, hitstun is a global thing, you can't change it move by move. The only influence you have over hitstun is how much KB a move has which determines which form of hitstun the move induces at whatever %s.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I was thinking faster start-up for Gerudo, but Z1G's idea is good too. UAir should stay. Ganon definitely needs faster options, and before A2 gets here, some anti-air option (especially if your mod will focus on air combat). And if his jumps can be modified so that he can actually get somewhere that'd be good.

Oh, and neutral B can be a projectile, a la OoT with stunning abilities.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Good luck with this man.
Question: Are you planning on removing the ability to Air Dodge from tumble?
No. That hinders heavies specifically, as Brawl- has shown us. Admittedly, Brawl- has significant hitstun, but the ability to air dodge at will is a key part of how Brawl is played. It'd be like removing the ability to powershield.

You have really close set dates. I hope you have a lot of this stuff done already.
Expect delays. I mean, even today I have a setback, I was planning on working on the animation for Bowser's new FSmash on my spares, but forgot my SD card reader. I think I've got the hang of how charging an FSmash works. Basically, think Bowser's Punch from Bowser's Inside Story. If you charge it too long, you get a significant power drop, and are very easily punishable. With precise timing, it's significantly more powerful. I mean quite ridiculously powerful, as in it would be simply game breaking if it weren't a (nearly) fully charged FSmash. Think of it as one of the ultimate shield break punishers.

And to the Ganons, I'm starting Ganon from scratch. His DSmash I'm currently trying to make more fluid looking. Basically he levitates upwards and kicks out in both directions.

He also has 4 jumps.

*EDIT* Oh, and they actually have momentum that matters. I plan on fixing his running animation, but things like that are low priority.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Wait what. You are going to make it so that a mid charge with bowser fsmash is stronger than a fully charged fsmash? That sounds just stupid.

Top Bottom