• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Highest point in Linn County

Kuares

Pizza
General:
So the true venue was disapproved by the school so I'm going to be using the basement of my residence hall. My school is dead during the weekend so I doubt much will happen with us being there.

The address:
1330 Elmhurst Drive NE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa​

The tournament will be in the basement of Regina Hall(Red). The entrance is across the Busse Library so enter through there.

Prices and Prizes:
$5 Brawl Singles(/person)
$10 Brawl Doubles(/team)
$5 Street Fighter 4
$5 Blazblue:CS
$5 Pizza(optional)

1st Prize 60%
2nd Prize 30%
3rd Prize 10%/Entry Fee

Schedule:
Brawl:
11:00-12:00 Arrive, Warm-ups, Registration
12:00-3:30 Singles Bracket
4:00-6:30 Singles Bracket
6:30-7:00 Pizza Break
-9:00(?) Finish up

SF/BB(I don't know how long this'll take):
12:30-2:30 Street Fighter
3:00-5:00 Blazblue

Weird Stage Selection Procedure:
1. Both players choose their character
-If there is any dispute on character choices, double blind pick will be used. The character will be revealed before stage selection begins.
2. Get to the Stage Select Screen and P1 says a stage.
-Characters are locked at this point.
3. P2 decides if it's agreeable or not.
-If agreeable, the match begins on that stage.
-If not, P1 can choose any other stage and begins the match.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 except P1 switches positions with P2.
5. If it's still 1-1, 3rd match will be stage strike​

For the tiebreaker round, Stage striking will be 3-4-1 Fashion with the first player having First Strike(it doesn't matter though).

All matches will be best of 3 except for Grand Finals, which will be Best of 5, stage selection will go back and forth with DSR in effect. Except for the 5th round, which´ll be stage strike.

Neutral:
-Battlefield
-Castle Seige
-Delfino Plaza
-Final Destination
-Halberd
-Lylat Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Smashville
-Yoshi´s Island

Counterpick:
-Brinstar
-Frigate Orphan
-Jungle Japes
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Pictochat
-Rainbow Cruise​

Basic Rules:
3 Stock 8 Minute
All matches BO3 except GF which are BO5
No Standing Grab Infinites(DDD's, Ness and Lucas)
Mage´s DQ Rule will be used.
-2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
-4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
-6 Minutes Late: Loss of set
Bring your own Controller(s)
Stalling is Banned and if I see it I´ll be mad.

Attendance List and Wii/Xbox/PS3/TV Bringing:
-Kuares +Wii+TV
-Dr. Slash +Wii+Ps3
-BPx +Wii+TV
-Ngamer +Wii+TV
-Soran +Wii+TV
-TwinkieFTW +Wii+TV(?)
-Zephyros +Wii+TV
-Nick
-Aaron
-Kevin

+ 3 School TV's

I'll need 1 or 2 more TV's and 3 more Wii's.

Kuares

Pizza
Hooray!!!!

Results
SINGLES
1: Joker ($60.00) :wolf:/:snake:
2: Kuares ($30.00) :fox:
3: BPOW ($10.00) :wario:
4: NGamer3k :metaknight:
5: Twink :marth:
5: Mushrooming :sonic:
7: Soran :marth:
7: Zephyros :falco:
9: Nick :pit:
9: Mook
9: NoM
9: Dr. Slash :falcon:/:kirby2:
13: Fistr
13: Dan
13: Wang
13: BDJOR
17: Zeal
17: Mom
17: Dylan
17: Dad

DOUBLES
1: Cyberdyne Systems (BPOW/PCITY) ($48.00)
2: MOTHER Gear Solid (Joker/Yink) ($24.00)
3: Can't Let You Do That (Zephyros/QRS) ($8.00)
4: Twink/Mook
5: Scarlet Phoenix(Saros/Musrooming)
5: BDJOE/Zeal
7: Team Gimp(ed) (Wang/NoM)
7: Team Sandbag (Dr. Slash/Nick)

BLAZBLUE
1: Saros (Ragna?)
2: NGamer3k (Jin)
3: Kuares (Jin)
4: Soran (Jin)
5: Dr. Slash (Ragna/Hazama)
5: Mushrooming (Ragna)
7: Twink (Jin)

SSF4 (5 entrants)
1. NGamer3k (Sakura)
2. Kemps (Boxer)
3. David (Claw)

gantrain05

Smash Master
if des moines goes to this (i'm assuming they will) i'll def ride up with them if i can, since MAXWELL is actually on the way to cedar rapids from des moines i believe...well kind of, u gotta get off on the random crappy highway to maxwell, but its not out of the way lol.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
This stage pick system is weird. What's up with that?

Anyway, if I can get Bill to come (Vaderseven), he will help with all brackets and stuff.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Well. This is on a Sunday, so I don't think I can make it.

I'll try really hard though.

vaderseven

Smash Apprentice
I would totally come if there wasn't a huge starcraft tournament to prepare for.

Sorry blake.

:<

Kuares

Pizza
The reason I did the stage stuff is that if someone wins the first round then they automatically get an advantage if it gets to the last round. This way if they do happen to go 1-1, they'll know each other's strategies and they'll be on an even stage as opposed to advantage/disadvantage.

The approving/disapproving part is because Bans can vary depending on what character you're fighting against. If you leave it to the very last moment, that other player can decide depending on the situation.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
This is exactly 4 hours and 30 minutes from my house. I'll try and make it, but being on a sunday may make this difficult.

Also, the stage selection is interesting.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Idk this ruleset kind of will fake some people out, say I wanna take Joker to RC but I say Brinstar; hating brinstar, he bans it, then I pick RC

If anything, I think that it would be cool if like you picked two CP's and then the winner had to strike one. Either way, I think the ruleset is cool. <3 QRS

gantrain05

Smash Master
well this method makes it impossible to CP someones character with a stage if i read it correctly. say we are starting a match, i'm picking first stage i say....smashville, you say "hell no" so then i have to pick another stage so i pick FD and so u both play on that stage....ok i get that so then how does the character select work in that situation. do both players select character prior to stage select, or how does it work, because depending on the fine little details this could end up being reaaaaaaaaaaaaally broken.

Kuares

Pizza
THuGz: Counter picking 2 stages and the other player choosing 1 actually sounds like a pretty good idea too. I'm going to keep the stage selection the way it is because I also think the idea of fake-outs are awesome. It'll be something to think about though.

Gantrain: We'll pick our characters before hand. Then when we get to the Stage Select, that's point we can't change characters.

Also for the Tiebreaker match, should the option for double blind pick be before or after Stage Strike happens? If it's before, the characters affect the Stage Striking. If after the Stage Striking affects the character(though a single mainer will still strike according to their character).

As for saturday/sunday, I'll try as much as I can to get it on Saturday but a Dance team decided that they'd take the Venue for practice. I'm going to try to talk and get it for Saturday, but Sunday's my back-up day.

THuGz

Smash Lord
wait really? the standard ruleset is ban, CP stage, winner picks character accordingly, CP char, right?

ngamer3k

Smash Ace

><

I would totally come if there wasn't a huge starcraft tournament to prepare for.

Sorry blake.

:<
><

This is exactly 4 hours and 30 minutes from my house. I'll try and make it, but being on a sunday may make this difficult.

Also, the stage selection is interesting.
I might have a place for housing by the time this thing rolls around. Of course, I didn't deliver for Brainshock, so we'll see. :p

THuGz: Counter picking 2 stages and the other player choosing 1 actually sounds like a pretty good idea too. I'm going to keep the stage selection the way it is because I also think the idea of fake-outs are awesome. It'll be something to think about though.

Gantrain: We'll pick our characters before hand. Then when we get to the Stage Select, that's point we can't change characters.

Also for the Tiebreaker match, should the option for double blind pick be before or after Stage Strike happens? If it's before, the characters affect the Stage Striking. If after the Stage Striking affects the character(though a single mainer will still strike according to their character).

As for saturday/sunday, I'll try as much as I can to get it on Saturday but a Dance team decided that they'd take the Venue for practice. I'm going to try to talk and get it for Saturday, but Sunday's my back-up day.
I don't imagine the character issue will be a problem if it's just among Iowa people since we won't be gay on the character select screen like A**holes and especially since we don't tend to play alt characters, but I would like to have a concrete rule for character selection as it MIGHT come up, you never know. Also, remember I'm calling Blind-pick for all my future matches. :cool:

wat.

Another tournament in Iowa? Blasphemous.

Haha. I'll try and make this with a few others. o.ob
With that avatar, I expect an entry in Blazblue. Don't disappoint me.

Also, I can provide my Wii, Xbox 360 for SF- most of us who will enter SF play on 360. I know a lot of you play BB on PS3, if you can get one with ALL the characters (including DLC), then I don't think anyone would mind. Otherwise, my 360 can be used for BB as well.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Wait what?! Rob why haven't you talked to me about this more?! <-- this message was in all caps but the stupid smashboards filter will probably ruin that

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
A wild Twink has appeared >.<

So yeah pretty sure Iowa will come to this I don't see a reason why we wouldn't specially when is this close also I'll be bringing my Wii and maybe a TV but only if we got space >.0

gantrain05

Smash Master
A wild Twink has appeared >.<

So yeah pretty sure Iowa will come to this I don't see a reason why we wouldn't specially when is this close also I'll be bringing my Wii and maybe a TV but only if we got space >.0
and u guys are pickin up your good friend JLO right!?

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion

Otherwise I don't think I'll have a teammate for this tourney T.T

and u guys are pickin up your good friend JLO right!?
Who's this JLO you speak off like I don't even we can probably pick you up Gantrain but not sure about this JLO fella o.0

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
He'd rather do DOUBLE BLUE LINK. Seriously something to think about if this is gonna be our crew plus randoms.

Also thugz I haven't talked about it because I didn't want you to soil those pants you were wearing.

THuGz

Smash Lord
I will partner with anyone who wants a partner. I can go fox or pikachu with you jlo

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
See, if Joker and I team we're going to be Mario/Luigi and unleash FLUDD Fury. :laugh:

PortCity

Smash Ace
I'll be there. It appears that this is an Iowa Championship Tournament. :) Looks like Brandon and I will be teaming. Double Wario will take a bite out of Mario & Luigi. *Mon! Mon! Mon!* Muahahahah! I'll bring a setup and MAYBE a tv if needed.

Kuares

Pizza
Update!

So I've been talking to the Events director and the school doesn't want an 8 hour event. So I'm probably going to have to cut Doubles :urg: Also they only want to provide 2 Tv's, but I might be able to convince them otherwise.

I'll probably be able to get the venue on Saturday but it seems the likely time frame will probably be around 2:00-7:00PM or something close to that. If that still works for everyone.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm fine with no doubles, but I don't think a lot of others are. Nebraska's chances of attending may have just dropped a tad.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Didn't they know what they were getting themselves into when you asked for the reservation? Like, how ever long you reserved the space for should be how long we should get it for.

:/

Kuares

Pizza
I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I see what happens in the next week and if they still being stubborn I'll think of something else.

And Robman, I had that happen to me for a tournament and it was not fun.

Kuares

Pizza
Alrighty so, the events director decided that they didn't want to have the venue used for various reasons basically summing up to the fact they don't like non-campus attendants. So, change in plans, the date of this will be the January 29th and I'll have it in the basement of my Residence Building. I also changed the schedule up a little bit. This way I can have it on a Saturday and have enough time for Doubles and singles. I'll be able to have 6-8 set-ups though.

Only thing I won't be able to do is advertise in the Gamestores :(

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
We have issues with venues in Eastern Iowa, apparently. We need to somehow channel Joker's basement or something to ensure something else doesn't go wrong.

Hopefully this will be the last hiccup before the actual tourney. Bright side, it's on a saturday now and even sooner. GET HYPE!

PortCity

Smash Ace
:( Saturday = no go for me unless you start doubles after 5:30 pm , but have fun none the less. I hope it goes well.

Top Bottom