• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is a Wobbling ban?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
NOTE: This thread will not cover the subject of whether Wobbling should be banned. I'd prefer to leave any discussions of that sort out, as they have been beaten to death numerous times in the past. Thank-you.

"Wobbling is banned."

This is a very common rule in a lot of tournaments... But what exactly does it mean? Does this rule actually prevent "wobbling"? That is one of the main questions I hope to answer with this thread.

First of all, let me define exactly what Wobbling is:

"When a player has grabbed another player, the grabbed player cannot escape from the grab during hit-stun, no matter how much they mash. This prevents players from escaping during the middle of pummels." This mechanic has two effects though that, presumably, weren't intended by the game's developers:​

1. The Ice Climbers, being two characters in one, can perfectly alternate hits so the opponent is ALWAYS in hit-stun. This is what is commonly considered "Wobbling", and there are several variations (jab, ftilt, dtilt and blizzard are the only ones I know of).
  2. In team battles or free-for-alls, two players can achieve the same effect as the Ice Climbers' wobbling by alternating their hits similarly. This is most easily performed with multi-hit moves like Sheik's jab or Bowser's Fire Breath.

----------------------------------------

"...So...", some of you may be asking, "what is the issue here anyway?" Answering that will require a little explanation... See, there are two differents things (as far as I can tell) that Wobbling could be interpreted as:​

1. Hitting the opponent while they are in a grab.
  2. Hitting the opponent while they are in a grab x amount of times/for x amount of time/etc...

The first, assuming it was a global rule, would prevent pummeling in grabs. This would obviously lead to many warnings or DQs from accidental pummels (or attacks, in teams) and would take out a reasonably important and consequential mechanic from the game.

So let's assume it was an Ice Climber specific rule instead. If we look at this at face value, it appears that Ice Climbers lose the ability to rack up damage during a grab with pummels and blizzard. No big deal, right? It's not like it's a large part of their game.

However, this rule also means that if the Ice Climber player ever accidentally used an attack during a grab under any circumstances, they receive a warning or disqualification. Now, what about Nana? How often do you think her AI would cause her to randomly cost you games due to this rule?

Ice Climbers would be doomed to Z Tier (Popo would actually be more viable) because of a rule that is the equivalent of banning Reflector to stop Fox's wall infinites.

------------------------------------

Let's look at the second rule. This is idenitcal to the first but with a little addition to more specifically target the problem. Some examples are:
"Hitting the opponent while they are in a grab twice in a row is banned".
"Hitting the opponent while they are in a grab for 3 seconds in a row is banned".
"Hitting the opponent while they are in a grab with Ftilt/Dtilt/Jab/Blizzard is banned".

The first rule, from quantity, is simple enough. The number needs to be high enough that it can't be triggered accidentally by Nana or the ICs player, but low enough that it actually stops Wobbling. If this rule was to be used, the number would obviously have to be stated in the rule-set.

A potential issue with this rule is that it still allows for a less potent version of Wobbling. Assume the limit was set at 5. An Ice Climbers player could very simply do 5 "wobbles" before throwing out a SH/reverse d-throw > re-grab, hand-off, or other chain-grab and then repeat.

For the second rule, from time, the same potential issue arises: Players can still Wobble > Other chain-grab > Wobble. A second issue is timing. Who is to say that the player didn't Wobble for 2.9 seconds and then stop? I doubt anyone would be able, prepared or willing to count the frames or in-game timer perfectly.

The final rule possesses the same issue that I detailed in the section above, the chance of accidentally triggering one of those moves, so I don't think I need to go into any more detail here.

-----------------------------------

The points I am trying to make here are that our current Wobbling rule is too vague and that potential fixes would be difficult to put in place considering the thin line between "overly restrictive" and "pointlessly unrestrictive".

I now have two questions for anyone reading this thread:​
  1. Are there any other options?
  2. If not, is it really worth "banning" wobbling?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Each case of wobbling should be judged on a case by case basis as it occurs, seeing as the rule is so fickle and general.

But long story short is you shouldn't push it, it's banned so don't try to bend the rules, just play by them.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Each case of wobbling should be judged on a case by case basis as it occurs, seeing as the rule is so fickle and general.

But long story short is you shouldn't push it, it's banned so don't try to bend the rules, just play by them.
I won't reply to this right now, I'd rather let a little more discussion occur.

Don't think that I'm ignoring you though (except for you Dekar, because I am ignoring you) :)

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
You failed once try again

You fail twice.... -_-'

Now you're trying a third time >_>

Have you had any sort of mental exam to prove you are mentally disabled in some way?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Fox's shine =/= Wobbling soz.
I think what Grim Tuesday is trying to say is that banning wobbling by the first example he gave (The one in which nana attacking while popo is grabbing even just once, is considered wobbling.) Is Very bad to IC's game and that it would be like if we banned fox's reflector just so wall infinites would not happen. In other words he was using it as an example to put things in prespective for Non-Ice Climber players, he was not saying fox's reflector should be banned. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I read that part of the opening.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i'd like to apologise on behalf of australia for grim tuesday
apology accepted

you're arguement is a typical "sounds ok on paper"

real life out-comes:

No1 will DQ you for nana jabbing

no1 will ask for you to be DQ'd for nana jabbing

wobbling = any form of IC infinite that does not involve actually using a throwing animation and cannont be escaped from.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
The wobbling rule is kinda one of those rules where it relies on common sense.

Like, thankfully people getting DQ'd for wobbling is up to the discretion of a human, so there doesn't need to be strict wording to get around stupid loopholes.

and I gotta agree, the reading comprehension in this thread is mostly ********.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't see why you can't just say no ftilting grabbed opponents with Nana more than once. No one is ever going to accidently grab, Popo pummel, Nana ftilt, Popo pummel, and Nana ftilt AGAIN.

Rykard

Smash Ace
wobbling is just referring to the IC infinite and is banned only if the tournament organizer says it is because of the fact that it hasn't been proven to be as gamebreaking as people might think it is. anything else is allowed no matter what including what you referred to as "team wobbling"

the only exception is that you are always allowed to wobble inui

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
stay on topic unless you want this thread to be closed.

everytime i've come in here i've seen a red name in the currently active users viewing this thread.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

The wobbling rule is kinda one of those rules where it relies on common sense.

Like, thankfully people getting DQ'd for wobbling is up to the discretion of a human, so there doesn't need to be strict wording to get around stupid loopholes.

and I gotta agree, the reading comprehension in this thread is mostly ********.
See, if the TO has that kind of attitude, I would personally try and fit in as many "wobbles" as I felt I could get away with. An extra 10-30% after each grab/re-grab is nothing to laugh at, and it comes down to my last question: Is it even worth it?

Take this situation for example: I grab the opponent in the middle of the stage, I do two ftilts and then do a SH Dthrow > Re-grab to get closer to the ledge, I do two more tilts. That is roughly 50% damage from a combo that is normally only 10%. I could even throw in a blizzard at the end for more damage.

wobbling = any form of IC infinite that does not involve actually using a throwing animation and cannont be escaped from.
So... If I grab the opponent and then hit them with a blizzard, that is technically a "wobble" without re-grabbing. How long does it have to go on for before it becomes a banned infinite?

I don't see why you can't just say no ftilting grabbed opponents with Nana more than once. No one is ever going to accidently grab, Popo pummel, Nana ftilt, Popo pummel, and Nana ftilt AGAIN.
There is no reason why we can't just say no ftilting/dtilting/blizzarding/jabbing opponents more than once. It just means that you have to explain this in your rule-set.

You'd have to ask yourself though if this rule is enforceable. How many players do you think would notice if the ICs player did a blizzard, jab, ftilt, jab before throwing? If that doesn't sound that bad, see the example I made above.

john!

Smash Hero
wobbling bans are silly and quite hard to enforce. i've had people say "quit wobbling me" after i hit them with two pummels in a row with the intention to throw them. banning wobbling is just dumb...:c

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
^See, this is a perfect example of the point I'm trying to make with this thread.
Then what about the idea of say something like max of two popo pummles per a grab so long as nana is in contact with the other character?

A heap more defined in comparison to simply "no wobbling"

Also to put it in perspective for me though, what is the max % youll be able to get per two pummles (including the ending throw)?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Then what about the idea of say something like max of two popo pummles per a grab so long as nana is in contact with the other character?

A heap more defined in comparison to simply "no wobbling"
Yeah, it'd be a much better definition.

Though, like I said before, you'd still get a decent percentage per grab.

Also to put it in perspective for me though, what is the max % youll be able to get per two pummles (including the ending throw)?
Jab = 1-2%
Ftilt = 4-8%
Dtilt = 2-5%
Blizzard = 1-13%
Pummel = 2-3%
Fthrow = 6-11%
Dthrow = 4-6%
Bthrow = 4-7%
Uthrow = 6-11%

it's a point but not terribly well presented or argued.
O...k...? I'd give you a proper response, but whatever point you are trying to make is much too vague. What made my thread poorly presented and argued?

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
You havent said anything new. If the arguement isnt about wether its ban worthy or not, every has the same view as you.

Please get that view the **** out of my face. The braindead ****s who think being pummeled is wobbling dont have a place in the wobbling discussion.

@john, so that means the people youre playing with are inbreds and you should place no value in their opinion on anything.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The braindead ****s who think being pummeled is wobbling dont have a place in the wobbling discussion.
Neither do the people who act like wobbling is well-defined when it clearly is not.

edit: For the sake of being less snarky, I'll add that the definitions of wobbling I've liked the most do take the number of pummels into account. I still have issues with those definitions, but they're not as bad as most others.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
IC's dont need wobbling to infinite grab you...(grab re grab combos), there are lots of ways the IC's can be gay without Wobbling. Ive seen wobbles in action, personally, im glad its banned, its stupid.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Did you even read my reply?

Do you even know how Wobbling works?

It's a single action (hitting the opponent while they are in a grab) repeated over and over, how many times do I have to do it before it becomes an infinite?

Or are you suggesting that just hitting the opponent once should be banned.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think defining it as "hitting an opponent so they stay in stun more than once after the time they have to spend being grabbed has already elapsed" encompasses most practical uses of wobbling.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
1. i wasnt talking to you grim tuesday

2. i know what wobbling is

3. i'm tired of wobbling debates because everyone recycles the same argument everytime on both sides.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I think defining it as "hitting an opponent so they stay in stun more than once after the time they have to spend being grabbed has already elapsed" encompasses most practical uses of wobbling.
First of all, this is really imprecise. Secondly, enforcing a wobbling ban using this definition would be difficult, as it doesn't handle border cases well.

2. i know what wobbling is
It isn't well-defined, hence you can't know what it is. We all have an intuitive idea of what wobbling is, but not a precise definition and as such, there exist cases where an IC player might do something that one player perceives as wobbling and another perceives as not wobbling.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
IC's dont need wobbling to infinite grab you...(grab re grab combos), there are lots of ways the IC's can be gay without Wobbling. Ive seen wobbles in action, personally, im glad its banned, its stupid.
I don't know how I feel about this.

Just out of curiosity to know what all of you think, which is more fair, allowing two pummels per grab, or allowing three?

Top Bottom