• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legalization of Wario Ware

T-block

B2B TST
Wario Ware

Happy April Fools ^_^

Introduction:

Due to recent findings, I am now convinced that Wario Ware should be legal. From examining the stage mechanics in Brawl's data, and experimentation in-game, I believe I have cracked the mechanism behind the main reason why this stage is commonly banned: how the game determines the reward for success at a mini-game. Furthermore, there is strong evidence suggesting that random elements within the mini-game (when the car comes and what it will do, when the man in the background will hammer the ground, etc.) can also be determined. Unfortunately, there is nothing to suggest that the order of mini-games is determined, but much remains to be explored. The purpose of this thread is to outline the mechanics behind determining rewards, and also to serve as discussion ground in exploring other "random" aspects of this stage, with the hope that the original post will eventually come to include all known information about Wario Ware, including mini-game descriptions, success conditions, etc.

The Mechanics:

There are three potential rewards for succeeding at a mini-game: Invincibility, Super Mushroom, and Heal. For the duration of any mini-game, the game keeps track of a special value, referred to as the Reward Value, for each character. This value starts at 0, and is increased based on events that happen during the mini-game - these increases are as follows:
  • Any player jumping will increase his own Reward Value by 2, and the Reward Value for all other players by 1
  • Double jumps will increase the Reward Value for all players by 2
  • Any player performing an A move will increase the Reward Value for all players by 1; This include grabs, pummels, and ledge attacks
  • B moves have no effect
  • Putting up a shield, rolling, or spotdodging as no effect

When the mini-game ends, the game considers the Reward Value of each player who succeeded in the following way:
  • Player 1 is considered; if Player 1 succeeded, the game takes his Reward Value modulo 3 (divides by 3 and takes the remainder); This determines his reward; if Player 1 failed, the game adds 1 to all remaining Reward Values
  • Player 2 is considered; if Player 2 succeeded, the game takes his Reward Value modulo 3; This determines his reward; if Player 2 failed, the game adds 1 to all remaining Reward Values
  • ...and so on for Player 3 and Player 4, if present

Ports do not matter in this assignment. If the two players present are Players 3 and 4, they will be considered as Players 1 and 2 respectively. After taking the modulo 3 of the Reward Value, the rewards are assigned as follows:
  • 0 - Invincibility
  • 1 - Super Mushroom
  • 2 - Heal

Video Demonstration:

I will record a match with a more extensive list of scenarios, but for now this video shows the system well:

[yt]EVJx1z0hgmU[/yt]​

Stay Dry! - The jump by Sonic is not considered, as it occurs before the mini-game begins. Neither character jumps or attacks, so both have a Reward Value of 0 by the end of the mini-game. Both players succeed, so after dividing by 3 and taking the remainder, both are rewarded with 0 - Invincibility.

Pop It! - Here Pikachu jumps, double jumps and attacks the hat, while Sonic double jumps (the first jump is too early), lands, jumps, lands, jumps, double jumps and attacks. With two attacks total between the two characters, both gain 2 in their Reward Value. With three double jumps between the two characters, both gain 6 in their Reward Value, bringing them both to 8. Pikachu single jumps once, so his value becomes 10 while Sonic's becomes 9. Sonic single jumps twice, so his value becomes 13 while Pikachu's becomes 12. The mini-game ends, and the game considers Sonic. Sonic failed, so he gets no reward, and all other players have their value increased by 1, bringing Pikachu to 13. This means a reward of 1 - Super Mushroom for Pikachu.

Dodge! - Here Pikachu jumps and double jumps, while Sonic jumps, lands, jumps and double jumps, lands, then jumps one last time (the final double jump is too late to be counted). With two double jumps between the characters, both characters gain 4 in their Reward Value. Sonic performs three single jumps, bringing his Reward Value to 10, while Pikachu's rises to 7. Pikachu performs one single jump, bringing his Reward Value to 9, while Sonic's rises to 11. Both characters succeed, to Pikachu gets 0 - Invincibility, while Sonic gets 2 - Heal.

A similar analysis can be performed with the remaining mini-games.

Implication:

The randomness of the reward has been the main complaint against the legalization of Wario Ware, and with good reason. Two players can succeed at a mini-game, with one being rewarded a Super Mushroom, while the other gains Invincibility, resulting in massive damage. However, with this knowledge, this mechanic can now be transformed into a game of incredible strategic depth.

Jumping puts you "one ahead" of all other opponents. This allows you to manipulate the difference between the two values. Consider a cycle of rewards that runs Invincibility-Super Mushroom-Heal-Invincibility-Super Mushroom-... Jumping is what will allow you to set up Invincibility for yourself with Super Mushroom for your opponent. Note also that all moves except jumping do not change the relative position of the Reward Values. They increase all Reward Values by the same amount. This means that by using double jumps or A moves, you can force all players to cycle.

It should be clear that various strategies arise from this. If you notice your opponent is set up to gain Invincibility while you are stuck in Super Mushroom, you could jump at the last moment to gain Invincibility yourself, while pushing your opponent to Super Mushroom. Another example I have been exploring is as Ivysaur, allowing the opponent to set up Invincibility - Super Mushroom as described above, and then jabbing at the last moment. This pushes Ivysaur to Heal, and the opponent to Super Mushroom, with the potential of landing a 60+% Bullet Seed. The metagame on this stage will likely involve paying careful attention to your opponent's actions. The most skilled players will no doubt soon be able to do so while continuing to fight, and may even be able perform setups to simply force the opponent to jump. The possibilities are endless. I have been practising against a Lvl 1 AI, and I am able to consistently force the Invincibility-Super Mushroom scenario after only a couple hours of practice.

Not all randomness has been solved on this stage, but this shows that enough is determined so that there is no doubt in my mind that this stage should be legal. There is a decent amount of warning before each mini-game, and the nature of each game encourages fighting for positioning in the center. As there is no longer any game-breaking randomness, I see no reason to keep this banned in singles. Doubles may be a different story, as keeping track of four players' actions is likely an unrealistic expectation, leading to an effectively random result. However, let us not discount the possibility prematurely.

~T​

T-block

B2B TST
Hm...I guess it is kinda unfortunate that I had to release this information on this day. I was doing stage research for a few hours last night, focusing on Lylat Cruise and Wario Ware.

It's legit. Check the video and see for yourself.

ook

Smash Lord
I sooooo want this to be true, but yes you should've waited until tomorrow lol.

And even if it is legit, unfortunately a lot of people still won't go for it. :(

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah, that's the other thing I didn't mention.

This could mean other stages act similarly. I've been looking into the Pictochat stage files and haven't found anything yet, but I'm not very familiar with all this stuff. If anyone is comfortable with extracting and interpreting stage data, contact me.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
simple way to test this: if nobody moves, every reward will be invincibility
TO TRAINING MODE

EDIT: plenty of invincibility and mushrooms, but no heals
even if this isnt perfect you just might be on to something here
then again its probably just random

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Wait what?!
Judgement mechanics aren't random?!

I gotta test this...

Chuee

Smash Hero
I just played a ladder match on this stage. This stage is god awful.
I literally died at 30% from a car. Not to mention I did the minigames and my opponent got perks but I didn't <.<

Tesh

Smash Hero
If this involves math, people will still want the stage banned.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Just analyzed the video.
Yes, every implication was right, and every result was just as OP describes.

Amazing discover, I might think different about the stage now.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I tried this by having both characters not jump or attack, and resetting the match after each first microgame.

Different rewards. .___.

Also the microgames themselves are not a valid criteria for ban. If anything the stage would be more than legit CP if the rewards weren't so damn imbalanced.

So is this all true or an April Fool's joke?

If it's true, then more props to T-Block.

Browny

Smash Hater
Seriously

Barring adding an 'APRIL FOOLS!' message at the bottom of the post, how much more blatantly obvious could it possibly be?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This and the Mario Bros. Threads are like gold for Legality discussions.....
Until randoms comes and ruin the mood with hating...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Confirmed joke.

I just did 'Pop It' as Player 1.

I did a single jump (+2) and an Uair (+1) three times. I won and the opponent (P2) lost.

2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 9

9/3 = 3 remainder 0. I should have got invincibility, but I got a Super Mushroom.

T-block

B2B TST
Heh... I thought it was pretty obvious. I had a lot of fun writing up the post though ^_^

However, it's great to see so many people willing to test on their own machines. The amount of time that misinformation can float around on these boards, especially with regard to stages, really bothers me. Please continue to question and test even the more believable claims.

Funny story... my brother (hi Tokaio) didn't know it was fake, and we were playing last night and we went to Wario Ware so I could show him. I was doing random jumps and jabs and actually managed to get invincibility every time I won haha.

I am fairly sure the rewards are random, but hey... I could be wrong ;D

I began to have doubts when you started saying that certain jumps didn't count, and when you didn't continue past "Don't Move". >_>

Then again, I only skimmed through your post, so I was just primarily hoping it was true. :)

And if there is incorrect information in the Lylat thread I WON'T BE YOUR FRIEND ANYMORE! </3

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
You went through all that just for a joke? -.-
I still can't believe you got invincibility on all those minigames...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, I thought this had to be fake.

Even if it WAS real, the mini-games are still incredibly intrusive, and being able to make your opponent jump (by attacking them) would have been more than enough to **** up the results. xD

*shakes fist* Curse you, T-Block!

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I seriously think WarioWare would be a legit enough stage if the only reward given was 5% healing.

All of the microgames are easy enough to complete and avoid dying from tbh.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
WarioWare is definitely a unique stage but I think people will complain about the receiving the Starman and Mega Mushroom effects more over the 5% healing effect.

T-block

B2B TST
I think that would be a fine decision, RR.

Fun fact: I had to redesign the mechanic system twice in order to make it align with the first three games of the video lol

Top Bottom