• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XI June

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282

Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305633
Next Month (July): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305772

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PathwaysSmash
AllIsBrawl: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12060
Springfield, MO discussion thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298346
Host: Ugvts; Organizer: Terral

No venue fee; $2 entry fee for Brawl singles, $5 entry fee for Featured Melee singles. Please bring your own controller. We are planning to start at 1:00 PM, arriving earlier than that is unwise if you don't enjoy standing around.

June will have a $2 Brawl singles bracket, a free Melee singles bracket, and a $5 Featured Melee singles bracket. Additionally, we will have doubles brackets for Melee and Brawl, and a Super Smash Bros. (running on legit N64) double elimination tournament. We also plan to have SSF4 this time.

If your match is on a recorded setup, please use identifying nicknames so that Ugvts has an easier time keeping track of who is who when he uploads them.

March tournament will feature a normal double elimination singles bracket, and a double elimination Melee singles bracket. We will also try to do doubles brackets for both of these games. If the match is being recorded, please use identifying nicknames so that Ugvts has an easier time keeping track of who is who when he uploads them.

In parallel, we will hopefully be running a Super Street Fighter 4 double elimination bracket, but this is not promised.

If we end up having side tournaments, they will likely be single elimination, and games may include: Soul Calibur 4, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Super Smash Bros 64 (Virtual Console). There is also the possibility of a Super Street Fighter IV double elimination tournament.

If you plan on showing up, it would be ideal to contact Terral in advance. This is to ensure that we know how many people to expect, and won't start the tournament before everyone has arrived.

Tournaments are scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, but this may change on a monthly basis.

For the curious, there should be some kind of food and soda, and the venue has water fountains. Expect pizza.

If you think you may need to text someone, Terral can provide a cell phone number.

Venue Details

Name: Pathways United Methodist Church
Address: 1232 E. Dale Street
Springfield, Missouri, United States

Don't break anything, keep to the rooms where the tournament is in. The tournament will most likely be in the basement; facing the main parking lot, there is a dark metal door by a window and drain-thing, inside the door the basement stairs are to the left.

Rules[COLLAPSE="Brawl"]Double elimination
3 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

Extended rules:
- Extending the duration of Meta Knight's dimensional cape is banned
- Pausing is not allowed without both players' consent
- Infinites should not carry on beyond 250% damage
- In the event of a timed-out game involving Meta Knight, if an MK has a ledge grab count over 40, that player loses the match
- Sudden Death is ignored: the result of the match is determined by stock, and then percentage
- No stalling (see SBR definition, but it's pretty obvious)
- Chaingrabbing to KO off of a static walk-off ledge is banned (static i.e. Bridge of Eldin or Yoshi's Island (Melee); doing so on Delfino Plaza or Castle Siege would be legal)
- If a true tie occurs, resolve with a rematch (same characters+stage) at one stock, three minutes
- Any case not mentioned here should probably fall back onto SBR rules

Match-up specific rules:
- If a character matchup is chosen that has a character-specific infinite or near-infinite, if the character with an infinite counter-picked the other player, the disadvantaged player may choose to reset the character selection process (they choose a different character, opponent counter-picks again; this can happen only once)
Affected:
Dedede's standing infinite (Mario, Luigi, Samus, Donkey Kong)
Marth's infinite re-grab (Ness, Lucas)

First round of a set:
- select characters for first set
- strike out stages from starter: one player strikes a stage, other player strikes two stages, first player chooses the stage from the two remaining (1221)
- each player may ban a stage for the set
After:
- loser chooses counter-pick stage*
- winner chooses character
- loser chooses character

- When choosing a character, multi-character slots are to be specified (ie ZSS or Samus, Shiek or Zelda); Pokemon Trainer can alternatively be randomized

* You can't counter-pick a stage that you've already won on in the set, unless agreed upon

Starter:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium

Counter-pick:
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2

Doubles rules follow BBR standards
Friendly fire is on, life stealing allowed, etc.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Melee"]4 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)
Wobbling is banned

Character choice/stage selection is identical to Brawl's rules.

Starter:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter-pick:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Doubles changes:
Starter: Pokemon Stadium
Banned: Fountain of Dreams[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Smash 64"]5 stocks, items none
Best 2 of 3, recommended 3 of 5 for finals
DK's infinite cargo hold is banned (if anyone has input otherwise, I'll hear it)

Starter Stages: Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land
Counterpick Stage: Peach's Castle.[/COLLAPSE]Super Street Fighter 4:
Play for best of 3 best of 3, with finals being best of 5 best of 3. Double elimination. Random stage, since picking is pointless.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Best Pathways EVAR! Especially since I learned how to condense things, so the rules are not a giant wall of text anymore.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I like how Advanced Slob Picks or anything like that isn't outlined in the rules :V

I'll see if the KC guys wanna go to this.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I don't even know what Advanced Slob Picks are. I've never heard of such a thing, so it makes me assume it's an inside joke that I will never be a part of.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Ahh a dk main! I hope to see you if you do go!

Oh and I have a question!
I was just wondering why you guys put the entry fee's soo low on these tournaments? I have no problem with it, but I feel as if you might get more people if you raised the entry to $5 each since alot of people would see it as a benefit to coming (MORE MONEY TO WIN).

But yeah put me down for prizes for sure if I go, I'm also willing to donate my N64 to the prize table. I honestly don't need it and the hassle of trying to find a buyer isn't worth it.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Entry fee is so low because people like free tournaments, and it means that if people show up without an entry fee or only half of the entry fee it's easier for someone else to chip in to cover them. If it's in demand, we can do one featured bracket with a higher entry fee. It just gets strange when we have Brawl and Melee and I really prefer doing free events. I respect that people who travel, for example, want a shot at making their money back, but I don't want people to become ubercompetitive. I think that kind of attitude should be for bigger tournaments.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> I might sneak to this is I have nothing to do that weekend since I play enough of the fighting games to make it worth it.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Sage JoWii: We would love to have you dude it'd be awesome if you showed up. See if you can get some buddies to ride with you and help you cover gas to get here. Keep us updated on whether or not you can make it, we love meeting new people.

Saffy: Yeah Terrals definitely right. I like the 1 or 2 dollar entry fee. However as far as a bigger tournament goes, I believe there's a good chance we'll do one this summer. Possibly early August. We still all need to get together on that and talk it over. If we do it'll be a standart $10 singles $10 doubles and we'll do both Brawl and Melee with possibly some side events. We'll let everyone know what we decide.

Jace08

Smash Lord
yeah a larger event would be really awesome! I'd be willing to help host if you guys could use a hand

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Hopefully we manage to get together a time for a big tournament. It would be great if we could get 30 or more people together IN SPRINGFIELD for some Smash Bros. That thought just blows my mind, but so did getting over 20 people in that church for a Melee bracket.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Jace: are we going to take teams again at this? LOL
I don't even know what Advanced Slob Picks are. I've never heard of such a thing, so it makes me assume it's an inside joke that I will never be a part of.
Advanced Slob Picks refers to this system of counterpicks:
loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
it's outlined in the Melee Back Room Recommended Ruleset :p

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Actually, in that case, we do use Advanced Slob Picks. They just aren't specified in the Melee rules, I got lazy and put that they're the same to the rules used in Brawl.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Major tournament, early August? Let's get crackin, fellas. Not a lot of time left to get HYPE!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Ya, I'll see if anyone wants to go but due to the low payout, I'm not sure who all would be interested. That's not to say there wouldn't be interest though :>

Especially for multiple games.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Adam are you and Jace coming to this?? I would heart you forever. But I'd heart you even more if you can convince Arc and Dmac to come.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I will personally MM every smash player from the KC area in attendance for $2. Seeing as how you're all from the KC area, you'll all likely beat me. That will help cover some gas money.

Saffy

Smash Ace
You could maybe raise the entry to atleast $5 for singles and $5 for doubles. Just an idea though.

I can only convince these people by saying I will be bringing homemade cookies and Plushies as prizes for 1-3 in singles.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I don't want normal monthlies to go over $2 to participate in the entire tournament, just to encourage more amateur players to show up and to keep the competitiveness down a bit.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
as important as encouraging newer players to join to improve is, so is making it worthwhile for anyone not in the immediate area to travel to it. it's your decision to make, though. I'll either be at this or at Massive Smash so I'm indifferent; you might have Zantetsu and Zivilyn Bane on your *** about getting KC to come though.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well if needed we can try to have a featured Melee singles or doubles pro bracket with a raised (and separate) entry fee. I'd be ok with that, as long as we still do the normal one.

:phone:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Terral did you ever read my proposal on possibly running a Swiss this time around? Lemme know. Call me tonight when you get off work or something. I'll be up late.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Well if needed we can try to have a featured Melee singles or doubles pro bracket with a raised (and separate) entry fee. I'd be ok with that, as long as we still do the normal one.

Would that mean you'd be running 2 melee tournaments at one time along with a brawl?

I'm just saying this as I'm concerned about how fast brackets will be going. I can't stay longer than 8:30- 9pm next tournament. How long it took for doubles to finish at the last one was pretty long .-.. I have no problem forfeiting though... just would feel bad for my partner lol. =]

Oh and if you want I can make you guys tournament sigs / player sigs to promote pathways because I love you guys soo much <3

Example:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
If I can run a swiss for melee, with 8 TVs I can have a 16 man bracket done in ONE HOUR, guaranteed. With 4 TVs, I can have it done in TWO, guaranteed. And that's also guaranteeing 5 tournament matches for every single player. The only requirement is that it can't be ran side by side with anything else. The reason is because everybody's match starts at the same time for each round. It's smooth as a baby's bottom though.

Also Saffy, I would LOVE a Marth sig like that. I'll have to look at my combo's really quick and pick out a good one though. Or two? I could pay you for it too! Like.....$25 ?? :)

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Explain to me how swiss brackets work. I'd be ok with doing pools, like I said earlier.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system

Here is an example of a swiss tournament with 16 players (winner is in bold):

Round 1
1 vs 9
2 vs 10
3 vs 11
4 vs 12
5 vs 13
6 vs 14
7 vs 15
8 vs 16

Round 2
1 vs 5
2 vs 6
3 vs 7
4 vs 8
9 vs 13
10 vs 14
11 vs 15
12 vs 16

Round 3
1 vs 3
2 vs 4
5 vs 10
6 vs 12
7 vs 13
8 vs 15
9 vs 14
11 vs 16

Round 4
1 vs 2
3 vs 6
4 vs 7
5 vs 8
10 vs 13
11 vs 14
12 vs 15
9 vs 16

Final Standings
Keep in mind though that in a real swiss, we would use a tie-break method called "difficulty of the opposition" to determine final standings. In this example i just put them in order cause I'm lazy.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
That's weird. How would it be better than double elimination? I hardly see a difference. Wouldn't this basically just be double elimination, but completing the rest of the placements?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
The main differences are a) Everybody gets to play 5 games since there are no eliminations b) it can't be slowed down by one match not being played like in a bracket since all games happen in one round before continuing, which is why 8 TVs is ideal, 4 is a minimum for a timely tournament c) the wikipedia link i posted lists pros and cons

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> I've never done a Swiss tournament....

and I don't play Melee so I never will....

but it looks interesting. Juss saiyan.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
I vote $5 entry fee, but it's up to you guys. The incentive for ppl living farther away is more when the entry fee is larger.

Also, Saffy, if you need a ride, I more than likely WON'T be riding with the CoMO peeps to this. I think I'm just going to drive straight from Washington to Springfield. Rolla is on the way there, so you can ride with me. It will save your parents the trip and hassle of bringing you there and back. Let me know if this works for you.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
We could have a $2 entry fee for the two singles brackets (we could try doing swiss for Melee), then have a $5 entry fee Melee singles (normal double elimination) event with a separate pot and everything else.

My current plan for events (with the $5 featured Melee bracket, not necessarily in this order) would be:
Brawl Minus singles/doubles (free)
Brawl singles (half of $2)
Melee doubles (free), Melee singles (half of $2), Melee singles ($5)
SSB64 singles (free)

Also, LinkMO, I see Saffy more active on AllIsBrawl, so I'll tack on a note for her to check this thread to see your offer when I make the work-in-progress event list post over there.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Ehh so much melee and non Brawl singles stuff. >_> Weren't there suppose to be SSF4 and other games as well?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If people want SSF4, we can cram in a SSF4 event. I guess everyone who wants SSF4 should speak up, and if there's good demand I'll probably be able to convince our SSF4 champion to show up. We only have three Melee events because we want to make it more worth it to people travelling, and the majority of travelers are Melee exclusive. I'm guessing the separate $5 event will go by faster, since the Brawl-only players probably won't all play in that one.

We have done SSF4 and other games in the past, but when we got our Melee crew together we started using the extra time that we used to spend with other games on Melee.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@random letter name guy- >_> That was actually not the worst excuse to not play Melee....it was the worst excuse to not ever participate in a Swiss tournament. Read it again man.

Anyways, if there's talk abt SSF4 as well as Brawl, you can post in the STL thread; otherwise maybe another time guys ;3

Top Bottom