• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XI June

Zantetsu

Smash Master
@random letter name guy- >_> That was actually not the worst excuse to not play Melee....it was the worst excuse to not ever participate in a Swiss tournament. Read it again man.
Now that you've explained your post, I guess it makes sense. It still could have been worded better :p

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
At least he admitted it was the worst excuse for his situation lol. I'm down to smash today Roman, I just sent you a text. Also, I'm only smashing today if one of the following players are involved:
1) Roman
2) Zantetsu
3) BHLMRO

So yeah, if one of those three players aren't playing then count me out.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'm open for some early day Smash on Thursday. I should be able to until 3 or 4 or so.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
At least he admitted it was the worst excuse for his situation lol. I'm down to smash today Roman, I just sent you a text. Also, I'm only smashing today if one of the following players are involved:
1) Roman
2) Zantetsu
3) BHLMRO

So yeah, if one of those three players aren't playing then count me out.
Zantetsu is a ***, why would you want to play him? **** fawks.

TP

Smash Master
Just to clear it up, Swiss tournaments are awesome. They are the standard in Magic tournaments, and with good reason. At larger events, they do Swiss for a certain number of rounds, then the top 4 or top 8 do a single elimination bracket. It's very exciting at a tournament to not know if getting another win is gonna get you into the final bracket or not, based on tie breaks. You go around cheering for all the people you faced during the event, because how well they do determines the tie breaks lol.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Just to clear it up, Swiss tournaments are awesome. They are the standard in Magic tournaments, and with good reason. At larger events, they do Swiss for a certain number of rounds, then the top 4 or top 8 do a single elimination bracket. It's very exciting at a tournament to not know if getting another win is gonna get you into the final bracket or not, based on tie breaks. You go around cheering for all the people you faced during the event, because how well they do determines the tie breaks lol.
Thank you. Yes that is a common swiss system tie breaker called "Performance of the opposition." At a chess tournament you find yourself doing the same thing, hoping the people you played also win most of their games. It definitely encourages friendly rivalries as well.

For those of you not in the know. Say two players tie for second place with 4/5 wins. The main tie break method would be "head to head", but the second one would be "performance of the opposition." Say you add all the wins from the first tied players opponents and they add up to 14. And the other players opponents only add up to 10. Then assume these two players didn't play eachother. Well obviously the first player had a tougher schedule thus he would get the nod for 2nd.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I think we should give it a shot. If it'll be faster then we can have more time for more events. I'm really wanting these tournaments to move faster, lol.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I do like uploading the tournaments to tio, so I'll have to see if it's supported. If not, we can still give it a try for the $1 bracket.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
If you can't upload it to TIO, you can always input it as a "Round Robin" and give all players that didn't play eachother Zero's. I'm pretty sure that's possible. Isn't there an "unplayed" option?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
We're replacing Brawl Minus with ordinary Brawl doubles, by popular demand.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I just remembered people being surprised that wobbling wasn't banned, so I decided to ban it. Any input will be taken into consideration (for or against).

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
I just remembered people being surprised that wobbling wasn't banned, so I decided to ban it. Any input will be taken into consideration (for or against).
insta-ban that. Not saying people will, but I like to have it out there as a no-no.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Yeah, since the MBR has it off, you should as well. Just use the standard MBR ruleset and it'll be awwwwwwwright.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Yeah, since the MBR has it off, you should as well. Just use the standard MBR ruleset and it'll be awwwwwwwright.
^THIS^

Wobblers can GTFO. Sry just my personal 2 cents. No harm meant! <3

You should make Mute City and Corneria counterpicks lllllllllllllollllllllllll

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
^THIS^

Wobblers can GTFO. Sry just my personal 2 cents. No harm meant! <3

You should make Mute City and Corneria counterpicks lllllllllllllollllllllllll
nnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I know how to wobble, or I did a year ago or so. I only used it against people twice, and that was just to demonstrate how broken it is.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
nnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Lol banned stages shenanigans. Just think of the possibilities against a Sheik! THEY WON'T HAVE A LEDGE TO LEDGE STALL ON. Best idea evar.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
Arkansas says they're gonna take top three at this. Are we gonna let them do that??
I'm trying to make it to this, Ex-Dove/InsertTag/Kellen will be trying to make it too.... Hopefully Sinister will come down with me, I don't know about LinkMO... but hopefully the Columbia crew will be able to show up in full force

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Oh you can bet your a$$ Bert is coming. I've already asked off for work. I won't be riding with you guys anymore though D:
The extra 3 hrs on the road driving to and from Columbia is very tiresome.

Arkansas says they're gonna take top three at this. Are we gonna let them do that??
F**k NO.

Hopefully.

Teh Future

Smash Master
If people from stl come ill probably tag along

pretty sure swiss takes more time to run than a double elimanation bracket because more matches are played.

also less exciting near the end since you don't have any finals sets and the winner is usually pretty clear after a little while (unless you use elimination like TP said).

melee is a bad game

dont have a preference and never used swiss system btw, so i might be wrong.

BHLMRO you still play smash64 at all?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Future, it would be pretty cool if we could get some St. Louis folks over here for the tournament, Brawl or Melee. I was thinking I'd make another offer when we have more details about the larger event we have in the planning stages later this year, mostly because I get the impression that St. Louis leans more toward Brawl and this event is going to be more biased toward Melee (3 Melee events vs 2 Brawl events, with two groups traveling for Melee). Hopefully our Brawl star, Linkz, isn't moving away before the tournament.

Speaking of which, has Linkz said whether he's moving or not?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Terral: He has not yet. Also, there are melee people travelling from more than just two places. We have Arkansas, Columbia, Kansas City, and LinkMO is from Washington which is really close to Saint Louis.

Teh Future: If I have 8 TVs I can run a 16 man bracket in a hour. It doesn't take longer even though there are more matches. The reason is because a bracket can hold itself up, however with Swiss everybody plays at the same time. But you are right though that we don't get that epic grand finals match that everybody loves.

Akuma: What about Jaws?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I hope Jaws can make it, I had a good time playing him in friendlies and I want to see how much he's improved since that. It might make me sad about how little I've improved, though.

:phone:

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
idk about this swiss nonsense. sounds pretty cheesy too me.
cwutididthar
:awesome:
but on the realz i think brack is way better. but my opinion
(fact)
doesn't matter.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
idk about this swiss nonsense. sounds pretty cheesy too me.
cwutididthar
:awesome:
but on the realz i think brack is way better. but my opinion
(fact)
doesn't matter.
teehee.

I'm totes a fan of brack tourns over swiss any day, but you guys do whatchu want.

Top Bottom