• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HOBO 33: The Road to Apex 2012 and LSCE #5! September 10th 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sync.

Smash Champion

HOBO 33: The Road to Apex 2012/LSCE #5

September 10th, 2011

Houston, TX

The next big national Apex 2012, is coming up next January and I was given the honor of hosting the South's Apex Qualifier: HOBO 33! Every region in the country is holding an APEX qualifier, or "Road to Apex" event, where the top placing in-region player receives a $100 stipend towards their APEX 2012 entry/travel cost and the top eight placing in-region players also earn seeding priority towards APEX 2012.

And now, a couple words from Alex Strife, the man who runs it all:

For our competitors, we strive to create the best experience possible. With that in mind we have branched out into our newest addition to APEX, the “Road to Apex” series. Beginning in August, we will begin to hold qualifiers across the United States as well as internationally. These qualifiers will help players become ranked and also help the top placing regional player attend APEX 2012. Here is a breakdown on what each event will be offering to our players.

Each event listed as a “Road to Apex” qualifier events will feature a ranking point system for the singles and doubles events. The point system, listed below, will help us to make sure that the best experience possible is given to each player. On top of that, we will be able to provide a better quality for the event. The points are broken down from 1st place to 7th place below.

1st place – 64 pts
2nd place – 32 pts
3rd place – 16 pts
4th place – 8 pts
5th place – 4 pts
5th place – 4 pts
7th place – 2 pts
7th place – 2 pts

Note: The doubles event will be giving that point total to each individual player. It will not be split.

As an additional feature, we will be providing the top placing regional player of each singles event with a $100 stipend to travel to APEX 2012. What this means is that for a West Coast event, for example, the top placing West Coast player will receive the stipend regardless of where they stand in the bracket. This is to help our players travel to the biggest event in competitive Smash history, APEX 2012.

Note: Only those who have lived in the region for the past 6 months are eligible to receive the stipend.

To all those going to the qualifiers, we here at the APEX staff wish you luck and hope to see you at all the events including APEX 2012 where Smash will make history!

- Alex Strife -

Lone Star Circuit

Along with being an Apex Qualifier, this tournament is also a Lone Star Circuit Event! As of now, the top 8 rankings are:

1: Trela==140 points

2: UltimateRazer==115 points

3: Gnes==105 points

5: Dojo==45 points

5: Illmatic==45 points

6: Sync==39 points

7: Denti==35 points

9: Infinity==30 points

and the remaining rankings are found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301421

Points will be awarded for the Lone Star Circuit as follows:

49 players or less:

1st - 45 points
2nd - 35 points
3rd - 25 points
4th - 20 points
5th - 15 points
7th - 10 points
9th - 07 points
13th - 05 points

50 players or more:

1st - 95 points
2nd - 70 points
3rd - 50 points
4th - 35 points
5th - 25 points
7th - 20 points
9th - 15 points
13th - 10 points
17th - 07 points
25th - 04 points
33rd - 01 points

Venue: Double Dave's Pizza 2500 Marina Bay Drive, League City 77573

Date and Time: September 10th, 2010 I'll begin setup a little before 10 A.M. and we will begin at 11:30 A.M. If you are late, there will be a $5 late fee.

HOBO 33 Fees and Events:
Venue Fee: $10
Brawl Singles: $10
Brawl Doubles: $20 ($10 per person)
Waseda Crews: $5 (A tier and above cannot use mains or MK).

Waseda Crews: Crew sizes will be determined during sign up. Most likely will be 1 big crew versus another just like Nikefest 4.

All is Brawl link: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12388

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/thegreatsync and http://twitter.com/#!/HOBO_Series

Live Stream Link: www.justin.tv/charropunks

Housing

Go to http://www.hotels.com/ and type in the address to Double Dave's Pizza. It will show you ALL the hotels closest to the venue.

If you want free housing, please make a post in this thread! In general, the following people can house players:

Sync=(713)-201-8338
PJ=(979)-320-4950

Setups

Please bring setups (Wii/TV/SSBB) to the venue. The amount of setups make or break the speed of a tournament, so please help us out!

Also, if you bring a setup, you get into the side event free!

Payouts

49 players or less in singles
1st=48%
2nd=22%
3rd=14%
4th=8%
5th=4%
5th=4%

50 players or more in singles
1st=44%
2nd=22%
3rd=16%
4th=10%
5th=6%
5th=6%
7th=3%
7th=3%

Doubles:
1-9 teams = 80 / 20
10 - 19 teams = 60 / 30 / 10
20 - 39 teams = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
40-59 teams = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
60+ teams = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3? / 3? / 1? / 1?

General Gameplay Rules

3 Stock
8 min. time limit
Ledge grab limit: 35
No Items
Double Elimination
All standing and walking infinites are banned except for ICs
Mk’s Infinite cape is BANNED
DSR: You cannot counterpick the same stage you won on in a set unless the opponent agrees on it.
First round consists of all characters being chosen by a blind pick. (Disputes settled by Rock-Paper-Scissors). The first stage will then be determined by a stage strike method. Players take turn striking out neutral stages until only one stage remains, which is the stage that is played. After the first match is over, each player bans one stage that can not be used in counterpicks.
If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf’s over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD, the person who initiated the attack wins. IF the victory is shown that the person who was swallowed won, then the win goes to them bc they broke out of the swallow, whether the player’s realized it or not.
If there is a dispute over controller ports then the two will rock paper scissors (best of 3) to determine who will be in which port.
DeDeDe's Infinite grab: You CANNOT Chain grab IN PLACE(not even once). The small step CG is banned as well. Normal CG is legal.
The standing Infinite grab-release on Ness and Lucas is banned(do not even do it once). You must HIT them out of the release, do not re-grab.
Each set is Best of 3. Loser’s Finals, Winner’s Finals, and Grand Finals are all Best of 5.
If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
You may not distract (ex: screaming at them to get out of an infinite) your opponent, penalty is a loss for that match of the set.

Modified Rules for Doubles
Team Attack set to "On"
Life stealing is allowed.
In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
Set Procedure
Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-2-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
The first match is played.
The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
The next match is played.
Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stages

Starters:
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks:
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 1

Conduct Rules

BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
Regarding textures and other game hacks:
Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Venue in League City???

Let me look this up...

Wow, that's not exactly our backyard anymore.
I'll be living back in dayton by this time anyways, so it's not like it mattered to me.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Frak, I'm probably only going to be able to make one of the last 3 events... :(

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Aight, cool. I'm probably gonna make this, but I guess it won't be happening for a while. Need to see about getting to the 4th event first

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Money matches, peeps?

Smoom, I'll give you your $5 here.

:phone:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Who wants to money match me so I can make back all this gas money cuz the tournament is in another city?

3v3 zero clutter nr map max noobs only.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
If I dont come I will be sad.

BTW how far is this from San Antonio ? I wanna visit Espy first :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
4-5ish hours depending on how much of a speed demon you are.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
For me to get to Nike's is under 3 and a half hours non stop, factor in speeding a little and it takes right around 3 hours

Dojo

Smash Champion
I cross through the outskirts of San Antonio and get to Houston in 6 hours. San Antonio takes 3 from here.

Also on google maps, downtown houston to downtown San Antonio = 3 hours 20 minutes.

Chew on it you slow ***.

Tesh

Smash Hero
No Dojo.
San Antonio to Houston is about 4 hours.
Don't forget to add another hour because this HOBO is on the other side of Houston. I think its about an hour away from funplex according to googlemaps (maybe more).
taking 1 carpool of SA to this, and i'm sure Nike will too.

MMs anyone?

I will money match everyone from
San Antonio, because I will likely miss event #4.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I cross through the outskirts of San Antonio and get to Houston in 6 hours. San Antonio takes 3 from here.

Also on google maps, downtown houston to downtown San Antonio = 3 hours 20 minutes.

Chew on it you slow ***.
Venue is in southeast Houston, which is basically an extra 20-30 minutes.

4 hours.

Bam.

Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom