• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The No-Johns Ruleset

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
“If I may sum it up as follows - what we're saying is that when I get hit by a car and my opponent takes advantage, I blame myself for letting myself get in a bad position. When you get hit by a car, you curse your bad luck and blame the stage for interfering with your match.” - Me

The above statement, stolen and modified out of a stage discussion that I participated in recently, sums up the vast difference between two schools of thought in Melee rule-making. No Johns is almost dead as a principle of Smash. Many modern players care so much about the (admittedly cool) fancy combos and tech skill that they have taken over the Smash ruleset with their preferences about how the game “should” be played, limiting anything that messes up the opportunity for skill demos. Suggesting that there's a way that it "should be played" is an elitist attitude that doesn't accurately represent that this is a personal opinion (even if it is shared by a good portion of the community), and that there are varying opinions out there on the matter, so I'm here to contribute my own to the mix as an alternative opinion.

Personally, I love to play the game Super Smash Brothers Melee. I love factors that make you weigh risk/reward, that make you adapt your play to massive variations in stage layout, and that create high-pressure situations where the best players have the chance to display their excellence. I love players that can force their opponents, through stage control, into zones of the stage that are difficult for them to handle or that contain more risks. More than all of this love, I hate Johns (especially when I catch myself doing it).

This is a fully-competitive ruleset where the best players will win most of the time, as in any good ruleset, and it rewards players who develop their talents with multiple characters and whole-game knowledge. It also has a unifying rational basis that people can actually argue about, contrary to the purely opinion-based, preference-based, or politically developed rulesets that are typically released. I’ll admit up front that I haven’t been to many tournaments over the past couple of years, but I still play, know, and love the game pretty darn well.

Going with the opinion theme, this ruleset is for anyone that agrees with my rational criteria as a starting point, and it’s not for anyone who doesn’t. If you’re going to argue about anything on this list, you’re going to have to argue it against my criteria, or I’ll just give you a funny look. I don’t care about your incorrect definition of fairness, or about your opinion about stage damage wrecking the “real game.” I am interested if you feel that some stages do have single-character dominance issues that are ignored, or if you disagree with my “Turnip Threshold” analysis for certain stages.

Without further ado...

The No-Johns Ruleset

Objective: Preserve as much of the game of Melee as possible while keeping the ruleset competitive. When it is not an issue of competitiveness, select the option that promotes more game knowledge and required ability.

Aside: Competitive in this context simply means that the ruleset applies equally to all players before they begin to place their own input into the game (character selection), with winners consistently determined according to their relative skill levels. The actual word one should use is fair, but so many people abuse that word that I hate to invoke it.

Rational Criteria for Ruleset: To accomplish the objective, this ruleset is based on three pieces of arbitrarily-selected criteria.
1. Prevent overly randomized results – One primary objective of any competitive ruleset is to ensure consistent results. Consistent does not mean that the same/best person wins every time - consistent is just consistent. There is always variation in results, even before random factors come into play. Melee is a game that includes a degree of randomness in many of its facets, and decisions under this criteria have to meet some arbitrary threshold. In this case I’ve selected something that is considered widely acceptable by the community - the results randomization generated by the computer’s selection of Peach’s turnip pull - as my standard (referred to as the Turnip Threshold). Any effect that is less significant than this, then, should be allowable.
2. Bans distributed only against single-character or single-strategy brokenness – Stages such as Hyrule, with run-away projectile camping being unbeatable, fall into this category. If two characters are viable, then clearly neither is broken and you have options available to you.
3. Unavoidable glitches that impede gameplay – Stages like Brinstar Depths, through which your character can randomly fall through any part of the stage, were banned for this reason. FoD is usually banned in teams because the frame drop messes with people. I never thought the Mute frame drop was bad enough to warrant it, but some do.

Best of 3 Sets, played as follows:
First round – Characters may be double-blind selected. Players then stage strike, using the whole stage list. Players may elect to start with a smaller list of 5 or 6 standard stages (chosen by the TO) to speed up the process if both agree.
Second/Third rounds – Advanced slobs - loser picks stage, winner changes character, loser changes character. A stage may not be repeated (under the criteria that this requires most ability/game knowledge).
Bans - Bans are optional, but it does little to "balance" anything. It just makes characters better or worse depending on their number of counters.

Team Attack ON – Falls under objective of “select option that requires most ability/game knowledge.”
Items OFF – In the distant past while this was still a debate, we even experimented with Items-On during only round robin play as a means of keeping them in the tournament scene. Despite this, it seemed to clearly violate the Turnip Threshold (if only because of exploding boxes), and exited the tournament scene. Anyone disagree?
Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of an exact percentage tie, play out sudden death (preserve original game where logical).

Stage Analysis – Please be aware that most of this is opinion based on the criteria listed above. You may choose to discount or disagree with any of this, but I feel that I have been very strict in adhering to my own criteria so as to preserve the logical coherency outlined above.

Should be included – Stages that fail none of the criterion are listed here
Final Destination – Fails no test.

Battlefield – Fails no test.

Dream Land – Fails no test. Random wind effect is minimal.

Fountain of Dreams – Fails no test. Random platform movement has affected matches, but is well below the Turnip Threshold. Many viable characters.

Pokemon Stadium – Fails no test. Transformations occur randomly, but players are warned well in advance. All odd stage characteristics are consistent and can be learned.

Yoshi’s Story – Despite having some of the most severe random effects of any “neutral” stage (Shyguy-induced extended hitboxes/bonus DI and Randall), it still seems pretty clearly below the Turnip Threshold.

Brinstar – Fails no test. On rare occasions, lava will randomly save players, but this effect is minimal and comparable to widely-accepted stages like Yoshi’s Story. At least three characters are strong on this stage (Peach/Puff/Ganon), with a couple of additional characters able to hold their own.

Jungle Japes – Fails no test. Klaptrap is in fixed zones of the stage that are completely avoidable until high % knockaways. I’m not aware of a single character or strategy ever dominating this stage, though some did attempt to play a lot of keep-away with moderate success.

Mute City – Fails no test. No randomness. It could be pretty strongly argued that the stage has a “two-character dominance” issue, but that doesn’t meet my criteria, since neither character is broken. In my opinion, it is one of the best stages for terrain adaptation and utilization and risk/reward play.

Rainbow Cruise – Fails no test. May have same “two-character dominance” that Mute has, but can’t ban it by my criteria.

Kongo Jungle 64 – Fails no test. Barrel is minimal in its random effects. Stage has unique geography that seems to have the potential to both cause major problems and give many benefits for a large number of characters. Run-away camping may, in fact, be a stage-breaking strategy, but it’s hard to see how multiple characters can’t use it to some extent.

Mushroom Kingdom II – Fails no test. No one ever effectively made a case for stage brokenness. It was removed by most solely for walk-off edges, which is a stage property that no one ever proved to be broken as a rule, just high-risk, high-reward. We kept it on at FCs even through 2007.

Borderline – A lot of opinion and judgment involved, otherwise known as "TO's choice"
Corneria – Tough in multiple cases. At the very least, two characters seem to be viable here. Arwing lasers can come close to the Turnip Threshold, but I don’t think it crosses that line. Camping the right side of the stage was never proven to be broken, but Ness/YLink gun camping is still up in the air (though as Big D has noted, you can always go down and destroy the gun if you are that scared of it, forcing a fight on stage for the rest of the time).

Green Greens – Mildly struggles with randomized results. However, I have played on this stage quite a bit in my tournament career, and I do believe that for the most part the randomness is not as bad as it seems. Players’ bad decisions on positioning are usually much more impactful. There is a lot of potential for clever use of terrain, so I do still like it as an option, but I wouldn’t die for it. May be single-character dominance issues as well (who else but Fox?).

Poke Floats - Does Fox break this stage? I know that this is one of two stages where I have landed two space animal slayers without getting hit and still lost the round, but that’s very anecdotal. No stage randomness, and the two spots you can fall through are widely known and easily avoidable, so single-character dominance is really the only possible issue.

Onett – Does Fox break this stage? Quite a few felt that he did.

Peach’s Castle – Does Fox break this stage? Quite a few felt that he did. Random effects seem well short of Turnip Threshold, but can be quite present.

Should be removed – To the best of current knowledge, these stages have unavoidable issues
Icicle Mountain – Stage movement severely and regularly impacts players at random times, often costing full stock. Fails Turnip Threshold.

Brinstar Depths – The causes of stage warping were never found. Even then, some have suggested that Fox breaks this stage.

Pipes – A rare case of single-character domination. Before it was banned, some players wisely started countering to this stage, even if they did not play Fox, and scored wins over better opponents by switching to him. Between the low ceiling and the walk-off edge-shine potential across the entire stage, it seemed to be too much. This was before most of the dominant Falcos showed up, so it would be interesting to examine further in light of that.

Great Bay – A similar stage to Pipes. Fox showed the ability to pull off “mini-Hyrule” run away camping around the stage, and the low ceiling only added to his control over the stage.

Yoshi 64 - Run away camping is an extremely dominant strategy

Hyrule Temple – Run away camping is an extremely dominant strategy

Flat Zone – Randomized results induced by falling items fails Turnip Threshold

Big Blue – I want to say randomized results cause a Turnip Threshold problem, but I’m not sure that’s true. For now, I lean that way.

Completely unsure
Kongo Jungle (Rock) – Not sure any random factor is enough to randomize results in any meaningful way. It was banned early, so there is no evidence of a single character being dominant. It was hypothesized that the rock was too strong of a location to approach. I’m not convinced that this is true in the modern game. To me, the extreme verticality of the stage may pose more problems, but that may only make it a counterstage against slow movers.

Mushroom Kingdom – Bricks are completely disruptive, but I’m not certain that they are competitive issues at all. They may actually interfere with the ability of some top-tier characters to execute that which makes them top-tier. Regarding character balance, no idea. None.

Venom – I don’t know of any clear reason why this would be banned, save for potential Fox-dominance (which may not even be true). Arwing lasers pose the same problem that they do on Corneria, which is to say a minimal one, and cave-saves are similar. The combined effect pushes it close to ban territory.

Fourside – Was originally among some of the first stages banned for several reasons, including fears of Peach Bomber stalling and camera issues, especially during doubles on smaller TVs. Truthfully, I have no idea if it fails any of my given criteria or not. Run away camping could well be dominant here – there’s a lot of room.

----------------

One final note. Often, it is said that competitive activities should never have any randomness in them, and the people that say this are very passionate in defense of it. Unfortunately, most of these same people fail to realize that this is just an opinion. In fact, when done correctly, incorporating some randomness can test a battery of skills - the weighing of risk/reward, ability to evaluate and react to circumstances and new information, improvisation, ability to recover from a negative event, etc.

In other words, if you are someone who thinks no randomness belongs in a competitive game, this isn't your thread and it is not the place to debate.

Feel free to discuss, but as I’ve mentioned, I suggest you discuss using my criteria or I will just post -_- + 10 chars. I also don't think there are too many people that think this way anymore in the community, so it will be interesting to see if anyone does.

crush

Smash Master
this is why there needs to be an easier way to play hacked melee. hacked versions of MK1, MK2, Green Greens, Pipes, Yoshis 64, Rockless barrelless kongo jungle, windless dream land, fly guyless yoshis story, great bay, peaches castle, big blue, and other stuff

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
There's nothing really wrong with Greens Greens except for maybe wall infintes against the blocks. Cornelia is alright too, nobody plays Ness anyways.

Massive

Smash Champion
The thought of having 12 stages to strike from in lieu of 5 is pretty attractive.

Prior to now, most newly proposed rulesets have been subtractive rather than additive; it's nice to see a perspective where there are additional options available.

This also present a strong case for introducing MKII into a traditional counterpick role and reintroducing Mute City.

Good ****.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Wow. the majority of the tough stages had the question. "Does fox break this stage"?

KishPrime

BRoomer
Fox Fox Fox.

I like how the first discussion spawned by my ruleset attempting to preserve as much of the original game as possible is on how we should mod the original stages to make them fit someone's perception of what they "should" be. Welcome to Smashboards, 2011.

Kal

Smash Champion
I like the ruleset, and I feel that your criteria for banning stages can actually be argued for fairness. I suppose that your three criteria technically are arbitrary (at least, any "line" you draw is done so arbitrarily), but I feel that there is an argument to be made for their fairness relative to the more recent rulesets. That is, I feel that it bans things which unquestionably degenerate the game, and leaves the rest alone, whereas the more recent rulesets tend to ban things based on preference, regardless of whether they cause the game to degenerate.

Within your criteria, I feel that Green Greens, Onett, Corneria and Pokéfloats should definitely be in the "included" list. Definitely not single-character or single-strategy brokenness on any of these. Fox is powerful, sure, but he doesn't have guaranteed wins against everyone. I'm not sure about Peach's Castle.

For Kongo Jungle, I think the rock overcentralizes the meta-game, such that a hugely dominant strategy becomes to simply gain a lead and camp the rock. However, I would agree that we need more than word-of-mouth on the effectiveness of this strategy before we ban it. I'd say the same strategy becomes overly effective on Fourside because of its size. The remaining two stages, Mushroom Kingdom and Venom, I'd say should go into the "included" list until proven otherwise.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think leaving Team Attack off makes the Falco-Falco team too powerful, but it would probably require some testing.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
theirs a lot of question about that. A falcon(another character) team can grab the opponent then Falcon falcon punch.

Jonas

Smash Champion
There's some stuff I don't agree with (team attack off wtf), but overall I like the idea of preserving as much of the game as is reasonable and doing away with the arbitrary idea of "neutrals."

Btw to my knowledge, Big Blue isn't random and follows a set pattern just like Pokéfloats. If Pokéfloats is legal, I don't see why Big Blue shouldn't be.
theirs a lot of question about that. A falcon(another character) team can grab the opponent then Falcon falcon punch.
Yeah that's some broken sh*t right here >_>

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Theres too much $$$ involved for an old man who just wants to have fun.

This is the HUGE JOHNS ruleset, not the No Johns ruleset.

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
Theres too much $$$ involved for an old man who just wants to have fun.

This is the HUGE JOHNS ruleset, not the No Johns ruleset.

[/size]
He doesn't "just want to have fun." He wants to preserve the integrity of the game the way he sees fit. Maybe you're not in the same boat as he is, but to respond with insults is stupid. Your standards of gameplay are no better than his.

And I think maybe you don't understand what "No Johns" means when you make your obnoxious little comment about it. To quote:

What we're saying is that when I get hit by a car and my opponent takes advantage, I blame myself for letting myself get in a bad position. When you get hit by a car, you curse your bad luck and blame the stage for interfering with your match.
In other words, no johns.

Van.

Smash Ace
This... isn't really the best example of this. What about a jiggz resting? Plus stuff like that already happens with team attack on, it just requires more precision.

I remember a husband and wife interview from a while back about how they beat teams by just having peach downsmash repeatedly while Marth F-smashed/utilted everyone who tried to come from above or SH in.

Anyways, The melee variant that deviates least from the original game is not necessarily the most interesting/entertaining game to play.

gahhhh who am i kidding i'm really just afraid of having to learn to play on new stages :(

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I like this ruleset, although it would at least be debatable that team attack on takes more game knowledge/ability.
I can see it pushing people to keep really strong secondaries/co-mains to go to for their mains poor stages. It would definitely make me play more options of the game instead of my falco vs. the cast on battlefield.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Kal i called him an old man because he is. He says hoe old he is in every post he makes.

Maybe you should quit worrying about me and make decent valid points.

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
All you do is throw out ad hominem attacks, and you want me to make decent, valid points? Wow.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Kal, I can tell you KishPrime won't take nearly as much offense from Roneblaster's post as you did. I know this because he's an old friend of mine (and I do mean old).

KishPrime

BRoomer
I'm somewhere between 30 and 70.

And wow, what the heck? How did I put Team Attack Off? lolol. Should be Team Attack On - tests the most skill. It's because I'm getting old, obviously.

I've always been riding the boat on the high seas (thanks to the great Ignautilus) that says that there are multiple ways to run tournaments, so people should run and attend what they want. Back in the day, I hosted and/or attended only-neutral tournaments, Ship 10 tournaments (10-stage random), All stages random tournaments, etc. They're all a part of Melee.

As previously mentioned, this was mostly an experiment to put together a logic-bound ruleset. No one's really complaining about the logical coherency so far (save for the obvious TA Off error), so that's interesting to me.

Kal

Smash Champion
Kal, I can tell you KishPrime won't take nearly as much offense from Roneblaster's post as you did. I know this because he's an old friend of mine (and I do mean old).
Sorry if I reacted hastily. I was unaware of any sort of in-joke going on here. I just recall Roneblaster's tendency to insult anyone who disagrees with him, regardless of what he knows about the player, so I assumed the worst. I should probably just let people respond for themselves in situations like this.

And Kish, I don't find it particularly surprising that no one disagrees with the logical consistency of your ruleset. As far as I can tell, your ruleset follows logically from your criteria, and you even bite the bullet by unbanning stages whose status as banned is more-or-less undisputed. The only thing I could see being invalid are questions about whether particular stages really are or are not single-character or single-strategy broken. The ones you've placed in the "included" list seem fine, and the ones you've placed in the "banned" list also seem fine.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Just want to say that Randal, Klap Trap, the Barrel, Lava, Fly Guys, etc are all on a clock and are therefore not random.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've heard that the lava isn't on an actual timer, but is easily accounted for by simply observing the background.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Pretty sure that lava is confirmed as random. It's always been discussed, and no one has ever posted an algorithm that I've ever seen.

Nevertheless, all of those things CAN have a random effect on the match that neither player is accounting for. It really depends on your definition of random. Yeah, they aren't "randomly occurring," but it can be argued that they cause random effects independent of player determination. Just because a player scores a hit because of an extended FlyGuy hitbox does not mean that he intended it as such.

None of that matters to me, though. The randomness is either minimal or zero, depending on how you care to define it, and both are acceptable under this ruleset.

Bing

Smash Master
You know what would be awesome... If like.. in the first match, you could strike like... 4-5 stages, then still have a random choice. so Like, You Ban Brinstar,RC, BF and DL64 per say. You now random the others... I think that could be interesting...

Doser

Smash Ace
Pretty sure that lava is confirmed as random. It's always been discussed, and no one has ever posted an algorithm that I've ever seen.
The pattern of the lava remains constant in terms of what movements the lava takes, but the time it takes between each step is somewhat random and can deviate by a good amount of seconds from each game played on Brinstar.

Definitions:
1st level: the part of the stage below the three platforms.
2nd level: the part of the stage below the middle platform.
Below the stage: the lava is above lower blast line but below all parts of the stage.
Right below the stage: the lava is almost above the bottom part of the stage, and you can walk off of the stage directly into the lava.

Lava Pattern

The pattern lists levels where the lava is stationary, and the movements of the lava between these stationary moments.

Below blast line (start of the match)
Rises
Still below blast line
Rises
Above blast line, but far below stage
Rises
Below stage
Lowers
Still above blast line, but far below stage
Rises
Covers the first level of the stage
Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Covers 2nd level of the stage
Lowers
Below the stage
Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Below stage
Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Right below stage
Rises slowly (very slightly)

Lava now covers small amounts of the bottom part of the stage, primarily the far left and right of the stage. The lava is not visible on these parts but the player will get burned and launched up in the air if they walk over it. Players can be down-thrown into parts of the stage closest to the lava and then be sent up and burned by the lava.

Lowers
Below blast line
Rises
Covers 1st level
Lowers slowly
Right below stage (lasts only about 1 second or less)
Lowers slowly
Below stage
Lowers
Below blast line (First part of second cycle, cycles take on average 2 minutes and 10 or so seconds)

Just want to say that Randal, Klap Trap, the Barrel, Lava, Fly Guys, etc are all on a clock and are therefore not random.
The Fly Guys are random, I have checked it multiple times. The direction they come from as well as when they show up and how many of them is random.

The Barrel randomly stops mid path and then spins for a random amount of time before continuing on its path.

Dart!

Smash Master
Sorry if I reacted hastily. I was unaware of any sort of in-joke going on here. I just recall Roneblaster's tendency to insult anyone who disagrees with him, regardless of what he knows about the player, so I assumed the worst. I should probably just let people respond for themselves in situations like this.

And Kish, I don't find it particularly surprising that no one disagrees with the logical consistency of your ruleset. As far as I can tell, your ruleset follows logically from your criteria, and you even bite the bullet by unbanning stages whose status as banned is more-or-less undisputed. The only thing I could see being invalid are questions about whether particular stages really are or are not single-character or single-strategy broken. The ones you've placed in the "included" list seem fine, and the ones you've placed in the "banned" list also seem fine.
You will too when you realize how pointless internet forum drama is.

Top Bottom