• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggressive Smash-Type A: Melee/Brawl New Venue, Same New Rules

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero

Time: People should arrive around 12:30-1 p.m., we have the venue for 24 hours :0 so we will start whenever everyone arrives. Don't arrive earlier unless you talk to me previously, I usually sleep til like 3 on Saturdays so 1 p.m. should make you all feel special.

Games: Melee Singles: 5 dollars* (No OOS)
Melee Doubles: 10 dollars per team

Brawl Singles: 10 dollars
Brawl Doubles: 10 dollars per team

(melee/brawl)Low Tiers(singles/doubles): 2 dollars

League of Legends-Negotiable

Melee

Rules: MBR rules set
MBR Recommended Rule Set
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

This is the updated and simplified recommended rule set for Super Smash Bros. Melee. This rule set is strictly recommended in an effort to maintain an encompassing standard for our vast community. This rule set is not for copying into a tournament thread, as some small personal tweaks will still need to be addressed. These are dependent solely on the Tournament Host and any authorized assistance.

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Recommendations to Tournament Hosts

• Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
    2. Entrance and venue fees
    3. Arriving on time
    4. Maintaining personal hygiene
    5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
    6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
  • Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
  • Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
  • No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
  • When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
  • The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
  • Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.
  • The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
  • For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.

Brawl

Rules: BBR unless otherwise noted
The Unity Ruleset
-Version 1.4-

General Gameplay Rules
  1. 2 Stocks
  2. 6 Minute Time Limit
  3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
  4. chain grabs are legal.
  5. Meta Knight is banned*1
  6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.

Rob's incredibly random rule*1-If Meta Knight is obtained via Random, he is legal. Good work being good enough to go random at a tournament!

Modified Rules for Doubles
  1. Team Attack set to "On"
  2. Life stealing is allowed.
  3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method.
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce TWO "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​

Conduct Rules
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
  3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
  4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
  8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
  11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Alterations:#4-Standing Infinites are banned.
The person who initiated the suicide will be given the win if the opponent doesn't have any stocks left.
There will be TWO stage bans.
2 Stocks
6 minute timer.
BO 3 until...
BO 5 Winner and Losers Semi's*
BO 7 LF/WF/GF

Some due to this post->
Suggested Ruleset Testing

Metaknight Banned
Brinstar and/or Rainbow Cruise Banned
2 or 1 stock matches with a different timer
5-9 stage starter lists
2 Stage Bans
Counterpicking characters before stages
Testing any of the following stages: Jungle Japes, Norfair, Pirate Ship, Green Greens, Port Town, Onett, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Luigi's Mansion, and Distant Planet
*If 11 people enter or less semi finals will be BO3, WF/LF/GF will be BO 5

Stages:

Starters: * Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island
* Smashville
Additional Teams Starters: ** Final Destination
** Delfino Plaza

Counter Picks: ** Final Destination (singles)
** Delfino Plaza (singles)
* Lylat Cruise
* Pictochat
* Norfair
Additional Teams Counter Picks:** Pirate Ship (If JBM enters teams, this stage can not be banned :))
** Port Town Aero Dive
** Luigi's Mansion

League of Legends

Best 2 of 3
5v5

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Stupid? Stage list? I'm assuming that's what you are talking about I don't see anything else that's stupid. And every tournament I run will be infinite banned. Don't complain about people trying out stuff to help the BBR and them making a better rules set.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Leaning towards BAN, but I'll say MK optional for the time being (we have 2 months). I would say it depends on OOS attendance. No one in Nebraska plays MK other than Thugz and Tyser (who said he's done with brawl), so banning him just to get a free win against Thugz wouldn't be cool imo. If people from Iowa come, only NOM mains MK (and he's quit), Joker and Bpow secondary him, but I don't think banning him would change their attendance. If you come, KC will come too, and none of them play MK.

NOW, if STL comes, I wouldn't want to ban MK because cook mains MK and I find that specific ban would hinder his performance.

I don't see a reason to ban him, outside of double MK for teams, that I am in favor of happening regardless of the actual ban. I'll say he's
notnotnotnotnotnotnot
banned unless that hinders attendance.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Aw I was hoping this was somehow League of Legends-related :(

For Melee however, I'm interested! :)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Honda, trust me, it will be league of legends related. David-LouDoggyDog/Cue, Dan-Vijaya/ShermantheTank, Devon-1uppipes/Sm3esh and Bobby-Bumblebob/Span are always talking/playing league when we should be playing smash. Hell, if KS have a 5 man team, I guarentee those guys would want to do a 5v5 against you guys.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
You guys b****ed about the proposed stages when I tried allowing them to be CPs for SLASTv2. Jus' sayin'.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Guys? The stages are all my idea, and I don't remember complaining about them. But did you allow 2 stage bans? I think that makes things different, being forced to go one of two of these three choices: Norfair, Pictochat and FD, those will be the 3 most banned stages I'm guessing. Being able to get rid of TWO of those stages will make the tournament more fun, especially in teams as most of the Counter/Banned stages are for TEAMS ONLY which Nebraska can't take seriously so we may as well have a lot of fun with it. I was going to have Summit legal, but I figured counter/banned would be cooler with people.

Let me help the BBR with crazy rules that they are suggesting we try.

Also, @ Honda, Dan said if you want to do a 5v5 NE/KS, and I bet he could convince david to do it too as they play for the same team.

Jace08

Smash Lord
hmmm been awhile since our crew has traveled to NE; I really want to go to this and see everybody again

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Uh, if one of the teams needs a member, perhaps, I don't play that so I would need to do more...eh, **** it, I'd just ask dan.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Time to bring along my dear friend The Hozz Ad Sona for some LoL action

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
For sure. Apparently some of Iowa are going to Revenge instead of this (brawl) so sad sad.

And the rules aren't janky, that's the college tourney one.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
So, now that the charity tournament is over, we should be focusing on this one.

As far as the brawl rules, I think we should make the following change.

According to the Nebraska metagame, D3 is way more broken than MetaKnight.

Accordingly:

MetaKnight=Legal
DeDeDe=Banned

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
We should do Melee's new ruleset for singles and doubles.

I'd like to try it out.

Singles Neutral
FoD
FD
YS
DL64
BF

Counterpicks
Stadium

No bans in 2/3. Winner of 4th match bans a stage in 3/5 i believe. Strongbad might know more about this.

Doubles Neutral
Stadium
FD
YS
BF
DL64

Counterpicks
Kj64
Jungle Japes

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
What's your attendance looking like? I'm deciding if I want to host a KC local this day or if I want to put it off and travel out to this.

I'm leaning towards a KC event if I can get more people in KC, but worst case scenario I don't want to steal attendance from you guys so I won't advertise it on smashboards

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Well, Iowa is planning on coming (Wang and Joker at least), NOM may come with but he may got with Bpow to Revenge. Nebraska will be there in full force, we had smash players entering smash tournaments this weekend so decent enough (i.e. Melee entered Brawl).

@JBM-No KJ64 in singles, crazy. ALso, how am I supposed to ban FD if I don't have any bans?

DeLux

Oh this is the day as revenge? I think the traveling people from KC will be going to that :\

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
The venue isn't available a week earlier :0 My friend Brian is moving and wants to test out his new livestreams thing by hosting a tournament, he moves in the 15th.

I can't go to Revenge for a lot of reasons, family stuff mostly, but for the same reason I can host one at my place if it doesn't work at his place.

This is a cheap alternative for revenge for everyone who isn't going, like Joker/Wang from Iowa, and all of Nebraska, and maybe Cook (bring future). If Lux doesn't go to revenge he should still bring up a bunch of people.

:toonlink::drmario: Party at Robs 19th.

mdsmith46

Smash Rookie
hello

whats up guys? i am new 2 this. i live in bellevue and love playing smash. me and my brother might possible be looking to come to your tournement. what is the time frame for the tournement?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Good Question! It all depends on when people from OOS get here and all that crap. I prefer to not start too early as I like to sleep until like 5 p.m. on saturday, but I'd assume we would try and get stuff going around 2 p.m. We would have the venue all day long obviously so leaving wouldn't be much of an issue. If we go to my friend's place, TV's would be needed, but at my place we may only need 2 extra TV's (obviously we would need set ups, Wii/brawl/melee and/or gc/melee.)

If you have to know a time, assume doors will open whenever someone wakes me up around noon-30 or 1, then the actually tournament will start around 2:30 unless Iowa brawl/KS melee get stuck in traffic.

Edit: I'll probably work on fixing the OP later.

DeLux

I am scheduled to work Nov 19 from 12pm to 6pm. HOLD MY MATCHES FOR ME?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
hmmmmm, holding a brawl tournament at 10 p.m.........if you bring enough people I'd be fine with it, lol.

DeLux

I'd have to leave though by midnight because I work at 12 the next day

Top Bottom