• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASH! Minnesota (pre-reg REQUIRED FOR DOUBLES) - U of M Campus

kevo

Smash Journeyman

Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=263133057057307

Melee makes its return to the University of Minnesota campus! But I can't do it without YOUR help. Bring yourselves and setups and lets get some Melee started!

If this tournament runs well, I will consider turning this into a bi-monthly taking place on the months Games N Go does not play Melee. This will effectively give the state a monthly tournament. We will be so beast if we get monthlies going. Bring that NORTH COAST into the forefront.

You will be entered into a raffle for a brand new pair of Sennheiser HD201 headphones for each complete setup (TV+Melee+Gamecube or Wii) you bring.

------------------------------------------
The Venue
University of Minnesota, Coffman Union Room 325
300 Washington Ave. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0110

Directions and Parking
Park in the garage and take the elevator up to the level labeled "Tunnel to Coffman". Afterwards, walk around the lot into the door to Coffman Memorial Union. Go up the stairs and escalator, then take the elevator to the third floor. If you have trouble, call me at 847-912-3422.

If you leave after 1am, parking is free. I will work with the powers that be to get people parking vouchers if they want to leave early, but I can't guarantee anything.

Schedule
Sorry about the awkward time. This is the optimal date in November to have this event, but Coffman is booked tight during the day. Please eat beforehand, dinner will not be served :p

7 pm - 8:00 pm : Setup and warm ups (sign-ups start at 7:30)
8:00 pm - Melee Singles Bracket Begins
9:00 pm - Melee Doubles Bracket Begins
9:30 pm - Project M Singles Bracket Begins
12:00 am - Both brackets should finish by this time. Free play, friendlies, crews, etc.
1:00 am - Venue Closes

We can also add another room if we need to, but I need to know beforehand. Please post if you or any of your friends are planning to go.

Rules
All rules, including fees and stage lists, are set to change as more details are finalized.

Tournament Rules
These rules apply to everyone at the tournament, regardless of what event they are playing.

• The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • If a rule does not have a penalty explicitly listed, the TO will decide the penalty for breaking the rule.
  • Gentleman's clause: any rule may be waived if both players and the TO agree to it.
  • If you pause the game, your opponent may request a 1 stock penalty. If your pause is deemed to have caused your opponent to die (e.g. interfering with the timing of a recovery), you forfeit the match.
  • Handicap set to off.
  • Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
  • Custom music is allowed as long as it's not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
  • If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
  • In the event that the game crashes or the TV/console loses power in the middle of a match, call the TO over. It is his discretion whether to restart the match or attempt to recreate the match situation.
  • No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
  • Coaching during a match is strictly forbidden. Players may consult members of the audience for a maximum of 30 seconds between matches.
  • Show up to matches on time. Failure to show up to a match within 5 minutes, unless you are playing another event, will result in forfeiture of the match.
  • Don't be a ****head. Do not cause unnecessary delays, stall excessively, interfere with your opponent, etc. Use common sense or the TO will DQ you and ask you to leave.

Melee Singles:
$5 entry fee, no venue fee.

Stage List
Neutrals:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

Rules:
  • 8 minute timer, no items, 4 stock
  • A set is best of 3 matches. Grand finals, winners' finals, and losers' finals are best of 5 matches.
  • Players may request a double blind character selection for the first game in a set.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counterpick the most recent stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, or if two players die simultaneously, the winner shall be determined with a 1 stock, 2 minute match using the same characters on the same stage.
  • Wobbling is allowed and encouraged. The freeze glitch is not.
  • Metaknight is banned.

Counterpicking
First game:
1. Determine who strikes first and who picks controller ports (with rock paper scissors)
2. Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.

Succeeding games:
1. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
2. Losing player picks a stage.
3. Winning player picks a character.
4. The losing player picks a character.
5. The next match is played.

Melee Doubles:
$10 entry fee, no venue fee.
Preregistration is required for doubles. Doubles will be limited to eight teams, first come, first served. To register for doubles, send me a PM with your name and your partner's name. You need to have a partner confirmed for your prereg to be valid.

Stage List
Neutrals:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks:
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

Rules:
All rules in singles apply, with the following changes:
  • A set is best of 3 matches. Grand finals and losers' finals are best of 5 matches.
  • Life stealing is allowed
  • Pausing is set to OFF, team damage is set to ON

Project M Singles:
$5 entry fee, no venue fee.

Stage List
Starters:
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
Wario Ware
Metal Cavern
Temple: M
Yoshi's Island: Brawl
Rumble Falls+
Halberd
Brinstar

Rules

• 4 stock, 8 minutes. In the (very unlikely) case that we are hard pressed for time and don't have enough setups, early bracket matches may be switched to 3 stock, 6 minutes.
  • Sets are best of 3. Grand Finals are best of 5.
  • Items set to "off" and "none."
  • All stage ban, counterpicking, stage striking, double blind, controller port, etc. procedures are identical to that of Melee singles. (Players strike stages in this order: 1 2 2 1 1 2)
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage.
  • In the event of a percentage tie, or if two players die simultaneously, the winner shall be determined with a 1 stock, 2 minute match using the same characters on the same stage. This clause applies specifically, if the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.)

Wake

Smash Master
Can't wait for this. I should be able to go. Is this the same venue as Teh Pwn Gaming?
No it is not. This one will be in Coffman Memorial Union.

Also, will there be doubles? If so I might be needin a teammate! And I just realized that the only CP is PS... which means no Brinstar or Kongo for you RRR!!!

kevo

Smash Journeyman
We will do doubles, time permitting, when the bracket starts to thin out. The stage list and rules are not set in stone yet, so if RRR can ummm "name a good price" they are subject to change. ;)

Can't wait for this. I should be able to go. Is this the same venue as Teh Pwn Gaming?
Teh Pwn Gaming had a really nice venue, but I would have to charge you guys a venue fee to use it. I do wanna try STSS in the future, so I want to grow this event first and see if we can host a big one next spring!

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Yeahh.... I chose this Saturday in November because there was no home football game (i.e. traffic is not horrible) and additionally Iowa starts Thanksgiving break that weekend so we can hopefully attract some people oos. Also, players can park in the garage for free if they leave at 1 am (the garage attendants go home and leave the gate up). I was originally going to do 4 pm - 1 am, giving us lots of time for side events, but apparently other groups had the same idea and booked the venue during the daytime.

I promise promise promise to have more reasonable hours in the future. I'll also try my best to find free housing for people coming out of state.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I might try to go, we'll see. Not really gonna put it as a priority since I'm mostly a brawl player, but I do wanna up my melee game/support the MN tourney scene

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
hmm i'll try and go. if i do go, Wake, do you want to team with me? i can go samus or falcon. im currently better with my samus. i did samus / peach team at the big house and it doesnt really work but its up to you :)

sanchaz

Smash Lord
7 pm - 8:00 pm : Setup and warm ups (sign-ups start at 7:30)
8:00 pm - Singles Bracket Begins
9:30 pm - Doubles Bracket Begins
12:00 am - Both brackets should finish by this time. Free play, friendlies, crews, etc.
1:00 am - Venue Closes

ROFL!!! most radical times I have seen for a tournament in a while. I don't see this ending well.

and entry fee is $5???? minnesota....(facepalm)

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Bring $5 and come win it from us, then, bro. :)

Edit: I am pleased to announce a $50 pot bonus. Get ****ing hype.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
If ST and I go, we can bring 1 melee ssetup and a melee / project m set up. We could also bring 1-6 TVs. 4 if you don't count the 2 DVD players that work with the gamecube.

:phone:

sanchaz

Smash Lord
where is this megabus option. I was looking at something else, but it's $40. trying to save money here

sanchaz

Smash Lord
yeah I'm confirmed for this. I just need to figure bus stuff or if mundungu want to come along with fruitloop. but, I'll figure this out throughout the week.

I NEED HOUSING FOR FRIDAY AND MAYBE SOME OF THE DAY AFTER THE TOURNAMENT. I MAY ALSO NEED SOMEONE TO DROP ME OFF THE BUS STATION (maybe)

so who lives at university at minnesota???

kevo

Smash Journeyman
yeah I'm confirmed for this. I just need to figure bus stuff or if mundungu want to come along with fruitloop. but, I'll figure this out throughout the week.

I NEED HOUSING FOR FRIDAY AND MAYBE SOME OF THE DAY AFTER THE TOURNAMENT. I MAY ALSO NEED SOMEONE TO DROP ME OFF THE BUS STATION (maybe)

so who lives at university at minnesota???
If you don't mind sleeping on the couch of my apartment, I got you bro. PM me the details.

Top Bottom