• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showdown in Downtown 5: No Escape - Thanks to everyone that watched ^_^!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Man

Smash Hero

5: No Escape
@

Sponsored by:

Official Website & Livestream Link: www.eschamp.com

IMPORTANT! READ THIS POST!

THIS ONE TOO

Address: 702a Spadina Avenue
Main Intersection: Bloor & Spadina
Where: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Date: Saturday, November 26th, 2011

Prices

Venue fee: $10 (Everyone who pays venue gets 1 bottle of free water ^_^)
Singles: $10
Doubles: $20 ($10 per person)

Payouts:

Super Smash Bros Brawl Singles

1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: $10

Super Smash Bros Brawl Doubles

1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

All payouts are subject to change at any time without warning.

Schedule:

10 am - 11 pm

10 am: Doors open
10:30 am: Registration begins
11:30 am: Registration ends
12:00 pm: Doubles (winners bracket only) begins
12:30 pm: Singles (winners bracket only)
3:00 pm: Doubles (losers bracket only) begins

I don't expect a lot of setups to be used at this time period, so it would be the ideal time frame for people to Money Match/Go out to eat.

5:30 pm: Singles (losers bracket only) begins
11:00 pm WE OUT!

The rest of the schedule is still in the works. I'll update this when I finalize it.

Food:

A&C sells water & soft drinks (Coke, Diet Coke, Brisk Ice Tea, Canada Dry Ginger Ale, Mario Power Up Drink, and Red Bull) for $1.

There is a Pizza Pizza nearby, north of the venue at the main intersection. There's a Lick's not even a minute's walk north of the venue, and if you walk south to Harbord st. there's a couple of independent pizza places (Cora and Papa Ceo) and a B.B. Ques. The intersection with Pizza Pizza also has a tim horton's and a second cup.

Directions:

The venue is just 1 stop south of Spadina subway station. Refer to the map below to find the quickest route for you. Keep in mind this is at A&C World and NOT A&C Games. They are 2 doors apart.

[collapse=TTC Subway Map]
[/collapse]

Rules

The Unity Ruleset - v2.0

General Rules:

No illegal substances, no alcohol, no green.
Don't smell, please shower
Tournament matches have priority over friendlies. MMs have priority over friendlies
Keep trash talking casual, no need for us to witness someone getting a punch in the face

(Hacked Recording) Wii + Brawl:

[YRSF] Tin Man (x1)
R e d X (x1)
infiniteV115 (x1)
1PokeMastr (x1)
Patches (x1)
Cr0wbaR (x1)
pidgezero_one (x1)
MorKs (maybe x1)

Total (Hacked Recording) Wii + Brawl count = 7 (8)

Wii + Brawl:

A&C World (x2 maybe x4)
Snow Shard (x1)

Total Wii + Brawl count = 3 (5)

TV's:

A&C World (x7 maybe x12)
1PokeMastr (x1)
Patches (x1)

Total TV count = 9 (14*)

Extension Cords/Power Bars:

A&C World (should be enough for 12 setups)
[YRSF] Tin Man (multiple)

Recording Stations:

TBA

Livestream:

TBA

Attendance List:

1. [YRSF] Tin Man
2. Ally
3. Holy Nightmare
4. Stroumbert
5. Meekspeedy
6. Mar1
7. i1337
8. sauc3
9. Darkshadow
10. Iliad
11. infiniteV115
12. 1PokeMastr
13. Swordgard (maybe)
14. King Kong (maybe)
15. Hype (maybe)
16. Technical_Chase (maybe)
17. R e d X
18. Snow Shard
19. Dan-Da-Man
20. Warchamp7
21. Kongmetal
22. Mr.L
23. Zhao
24. JenniferLe
25. Cr0wbaR
26. fUddO
27. Mprime
28. Tdawg
29. leafshadow
30. SkylerSilver
31. Supreme Dirt
32. Patches
33. MorKs
34. Pappy
35. Inle~Orichas
36. pidgezero_one
37. Bing
38. Raidos
39. Phiddlesticks
40. KBMX
41. Ambrose
42. Han
43. zmx
44. Sheep
45. Googs
46. Rhyme
47. tha_carter (maybe)
48. Ray_Kalm (maybe)
49. ~XP~ (maybe)
50. SilverDoc~ (maybe)
51. Peachy-Desu (maybe)
52. Riddlebox (maybe)

Attendance count = 42 (52)

+ people confirming on Facebook & AllisBrawl!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
THE TWIST

Loser's pools :o

To explain how this system works, when you are in the losers bracket, instead of playing 1 person at a time, you will be placed in a pool of 4. You will then play everyone in your pool and only 1 person will advance. I believe that this system is worth a try due to the amount of benefits it promises. The biggest advantage this system offers is the improvement in accuracy of the results. This is what the results would look like if 32 players entered the tourney.

[collapse=Placings]1.
25.[/collapse]

If anything, I figure it's worth a try. I believe the accuracy that these results present is extremely valuable. Now there is a top 5! Now there is a top 10! This also allows people the opportunity to play more matches in the losers bracket. I believe this would be good in developing the scene since people will have more exposure to playing others in a tournament setting. It also removes some instances of a "lucky bracket" since people will be required to play more sets than before to advance. Even though it still is possible to dodge some players, compared to the standard double elimination bracket, there's...

No Escape​

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Rules Clarification

Upon talking to other members of the Unity Ruleset Committee, I would like to clarify a rule that has been ignored since the release of the Unity Ruleset.

Set Procedure
8.The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
[/LIST]​
To further clarify. There is no clause in the Unity Ruleset that allows both teams to agree a stage. Therefore only legal stages may be used in their appropriate sections, and if both teams have won a game on that stage, it is not allowed to be played

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Professional Livestream Clarification

If there is a Livestream for this tournament, even if it's not sponsored by the ESChamp, I would still like it to be professional, and this is why.

• One of the factors that makes a livestream very popular is it's ability to attract people who aren't even players or tournament organizers. These people are just plain spectators. A professional stream appeals to spectators by offering content which allows them to realize that they are being taken into consideration. This includes things like explaining the basics of the game. Any player would already understand these concepts but a spectator won't.
  • The spectator is also very important because they are the majority of people who can watch the stream. Players are a very small minority. Appealing to the spectator allows the tournament to get more coverage due to considering a larger market.
  • The tournament is the best possible product that we can give to the spectators. Video games are a form of media. Now let's relate this to a Movie. The tournament would be the Movie. The director of a movie is much like a tournament organizer. And the actors are much like the players. Notice a key thing I said here. THE PLAYERS ARE APART OF THE PRODUCT! For those that still don't understand the significance of this point, I'll further explain. Imagine if movies were made with the intent of only targeting other actors and directors. Imagine if video games were made with the intent of only targeting other producers and developers. Even imagine if books were made with the intent of only targeting other authors. Those products would die. Those forms of media are succesful because they target the bigger audience.

TL;DR: IF YOU WANT MORE PEOPLE WATCHING THE STREAM, IT HAS TO BE PROFESSIONAL!

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
First!

Interesting, curious to see how this works out, but I think this is a good idea. 26th is a good day for me, good chance I'll be coming and if I do, I'll bring a hacked Wii + Brawl.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm not sure what to think of the losers bracket idea.

I don't like this whole "oh no agreeing to play on a stage" BS that's being pushed for.

I'll try to get the day off work.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Will the losers pools be Bo3 Sets or just single matches against each player? If it's the latter I can see it working out fine. A Bo3 can be 2 or 3 games, these losers pools will be 3 games for each player.

If it's still Bo3 Sets, it's only one extra set being player for each round of losers, so it won't slow things down too much. Interesting idea Tin, I like it

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Will the losers pools be Bo3 Sets or just single matches against each player? If it's the latter I can see it working out fine. A Bo3 can be 2 or 3 games, these losers pools will be 3 games for each player.
If it's the latter I won't be attending.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I looked at it again and edited my post, even having it Bo3 sets won't impact things too much.

Snow Shard

Smash Journeyman
Im guessing I can get this day off work cuz its a month away from the last date i took of. Count me in, I can bring a wii and brawl if needed to. As for loser pools, well the more people I face the better :) As long as the tournament actually finishes then I'm down for it lol

Cruxis

Smash Lord
I looked at it again and edited my post, even having it Bo3 sets won't impact things too much.
Itll make a big diff cause players on opposite that would normally never play a tournament set together now all have to play each other.

As an idea i think its cool and itll def give more accurate results, but in execution it will take fucking forever. It might be a bit discouraging to newer players/lower skill playrrs as well cause this makes it much harder for them to place higher.

If i were u tin i wouldnt do regular pools if u wanna do this.

:phone:

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
Ill likely come to this, but just saying this tournament is gonna be very very long because of losers pools... I would just say keep it the way weve been going

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
oh side note ill need a doubles partner...
ive been top 5 in all doubles ive entered soooo im not that noob (ok yes i am) but you love teaming with a sheik/marth/falco/diddy
take your pick lol
Also poke i owe you a teaming dont think i forgot so you get priority =3

sauc3

Smash Lord
this method does work and if run properly can actually be just as fast, but it requires a lot of organization ensuring people are playing their losers pools simultaneously.
the burden's on you tinners.
i'll most likely be at this one.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Hehe, I get to face more Falcos this way.

Except this tourney I have a surprise for them ^^

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hmmm... Not sure if I can make it but ill try to. Ill be bringing hacked wii/brawl if I can.

Looks innteresting!

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
if you do this i agree with alex, no need to do regular pools right? If theres no pools and straight bracket than i 100% support this

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Itll make a big diff cause players on opposite that would normally never play a tournament set together now all have to play each other.
why is that a bad thing?
As an idea i think its cool and itll def give more accurate results, but in execution it will take fucking forever. It might be a bit discouraging to newer players/lower skill playrrs as well cause this makes it much harder for them to place higher.

didn't you read the part where it mentioned there would only be one extra set per round of losers compared to a normal bracket?

I don't thnk that counts as "****ing forever"

Cruxis

Smash Lord
why is that a bad thing?
its not a bad thing, just like i said, it will take too long.

didn't you read the part where it mentioned there would only be one extra set per round of losers compared to a normal bracket?

I don't thnk that counts as "****ing forever"
looking at the bracket it is definitely not just one extra set.

Normally it would be Scythe vs Klob then Juggleguy vs 1der, and then lets just say Scythe and 1der win and they face each other after all.
With the pools, 3 extra matches happen that arent supposed to happen normally:

Scythe vs. Juggleguy
Klob vs. Juggleguy
1dr vs. Klob

Making that 3 extra matches group, twice as many, and there are 3 other groups, so in total we go from 12 sets total to 24 for the first round. Next round we go from 6 to 12. Next one from 3 to 6.
So in total we go from 21 sets to 42. And that is assuming that the bracket is the same size as the one Tin gave, if the bracket for this tourney is bigger then there will be even more rounds and this will take even longer because no matter what the number of matches is going to be doubled.

im not hating on the idea im just bein realistic, im not even gonna be at this tourney so it doesnt affect me at all

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Let's be simple about this.

p1
p2

p3
p4

Goes on to, say

p1
p3

3 sets

now

p1
p2

p1
p3

p1
p4

p2
p3

p2
p4

p3
p4

6 sets

That's twice the sets. Somebody has bad maths.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
The amazing Dk + Diddy team ?
Or.
King DeDeDeDeDeDe ?

This post confirms my attendance by the way.
Hacked Wii + Brawl. Depending on how cold it is, will tell if I'll bring a Tv or not.

Now for doubles.. who to pick.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
You're right, its more than one extra set per round. However:

It does NOT double the length of losers, not even close. Normally someone plays one set for the chance to advance one round in losers. Under this format, you play three sets for the chance to advance two rounds in losers. That only adds seven extra sets total to the entire tourney.
So ya. I guess if you wanna consider 7 extra sets total to be ****ing forever then....whatever.

I'm not going to be at this either, just saying the cynicism towards the format is uncessary when its already been proven to not be much of a difference

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The amazing Dk + Diddy team ?
Or.
King DeDeDeDeDeDe ?

This post confirms my attendance by the way.
Hacked Wii + Brawl. Depending on how cold it is, will tell if I'll bring a Tv or not.

Now for doubles.. who to pick.
Shock. A doubles partner bailing on me? Seems like it's a new fad or something.

W/e, yo Tin, can I team with a Level 9 CPU?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion

Cpu do different things depending on the Wii.

All your matches would have to be played on a Certain Wii if you don't want the Cpu to mess up.

And I'm still unsure on who to pick.

Also, My D3 timed out a Snake.
And I walked into a U-Tilt at 140% to NOT Die, but, to mindgame him.
And to get to a Platform.

Mr_L

Smash Journeyman
I'll be here

I plan on getting 17th again, so you guys better watch out

Tin Man

Smash Hero

If it's still Bo3 Sets, it's only one extra set being player for each round of losers, so it won't slow things down too much. Interesting idea Tin, I like it
The losers pools will be Bo3

So I'm assuming this counts as another experimental UR tourney?
No. There is no clause in the Unity Ruleset that dictates the format of the tournament. People are free to do pools then bracket, straight brackets, single elimination brackets even. And this goes to the extent of allowing an All pools tournament, or the idea I'm implementing this tournament.

Alex wai u hatin'. And I'm def down for this, sorry for missing oakville folks.

CONTACT CHRIS IMMEDIATELY TINMAN.
I already have ;)

Im guessing I can get this day off work cuz its a month away from the last date i took of. Count me in, I can bring a wii and brawl if needed to. As for loser pools, well the more people I face the better :) As long as the tournament actually finishes then I'm down for it lol

if you do this i agree with alex, no need to do regular pools right? If theres no pools and straight bracket than i 100% support this
Ill likely come to this, but just saying this tournament is gonna be very very long because of losers pools... I would just say keep it the way weve been going
this method does work and if run properly can actually be just as fast, but it requires a lot of organization ensuring people are playing their losers pools simultaneously.
the burden's on you tinners.

i'll most likely be at this one.
its not a bad thing, just like i said, it will take too long.

looking at the bracket it is definitely not just one extra set.

Normally it would be Scythe vs Klob then Juggleguy vs 1der, and then lets just say Scythe and 1der win and they face each other after all.
With the pools, 3 extra matches happen that arent supposed to happen normally:

Scythe vs. Juggleguy
Klob vs. Juggleguy
1dr vs. Klob

Making that 3 extra matches group, twice as many, and there are 3 other groups, so in total we go from 12 sets total to 24 for the first round. Next round we go from 6 to 12. Next one from 3 to 6.
So in total we go from 21 sets to 42. And that is assuming that the bracket is the same size as the one Tin gave, if the bracket for this tourney is bigger then there will be even more rounds and this will take even longer because no matter what the number of matches is going to be doubled.

im not hating on the idea im just bein realistic, im not even gonna be at this tourney so it doesnt affect me at all
I'm going to address some of the concerns brought up.

1. This tournament will only be running singles and doubles.
  2. This tournament will be straight brackets since there are pools in losers
  3. To address the time concerns, that is my problem. And I believe in my ability as a TO to run this event properly. I hope that you guys also believe in me.

I'm going to be mad strict on this one. GET FAMILIAR WITH THE FOLLOWING RULE!

Conduct Rules
DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.[/LIST]​
Also, look at this

Let's be simple about this.

p1
p2

p3
p4

Goes on to, say

p1
p3

3 sets

now

p1
p2

p1
p3

p1
p4

p2
p3

p2
p4

p3
p4

6 sets

That's twice the sets. Somebody has bad maths.
While it is true that this new system takes 6 sets to complete, 2 sets can happen simultaneously! In the standard double elimination, you have to wait for the 1st to sets to finish in order to begin the 3rd. This system would require 3 Rotations to finish one pool, while the standard system would require 2. This means that losers would take 1.5 times the normal length (and a little less than that actually, depends on the entrants).

And once again, yo n**** got dis ;)

You're right, its more than one extra set per round. However:

So ya. I guess if you wanna consider 7 extra sets total to be ****ing forever then....whatever.

I'm not going to be at this either, just saying the cynicism towards the format is uncessary when its already been proven to not be much of a difference
Thanks bro :)

oh side note ill need a doubles partner...
ive been top 5 in all doubles ive entered soooo im not that noob (ok yes i am) but you love teaming with a sheik/marth/falco/diddy
take your pick lol
Also poke i owe you a teaming dont think i forgot so you get priority =3
Since when do you use those 2?

n**** what u smokin lol?

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
@Tin oh i always had a marth falco but never worked on them too much,
now with mk ban having marth diddy falco sheik covers pretty much all mus for me =)
Keep in mind ive only played offline like.... twice lol aka the two tournaments ive been 2 XD
But recentlyyyyyyyyyyy ive found a couple friends at uni who play at school so i chill with them sometimes and brawl on campus, sure they suck but its offline experience nonetheless.
Fun fact ive only used sheik two days in my entire life since i cant use her online.... yet i main her, same with diddy. If i use those 2 online its VERY rare. Anyone who knows me (mr l for example) knows when i play online i use any character really... except d3 i could never get good with him T_T
@poke lemme know if you wanna team, i dont blame yea if you wanna team with someone else =3
If he doesnt wanna anyone else wanna team? Mr L i know you see this

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
side note- Illiad i wanna team with you if i can *_* we shall be team greece.... you know you want too... we can use like troy and like zeus tags or something *_* wegee stares till he says yes**
you know you want tooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom