• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8th BEST: MK banned; Venue fits 100!

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
8th BEST Extreme Smash in Troy

February 11

Changes since other BEST's:

Meta Knight Banned: Meta Knight is banned at this tournament in both singles and doubles.

Venue room: We are in the same large room as 5th BEST, which can support at least 100 people and 30 setups.

Entry fees: Singles are $5, and doubles are $10 per team. These are subject to change depending on attendance and response.

Side events: There are no announced side events yet, Smash or non-Smash.

Where:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Student Union in Troy, NY at the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St. Go to Google Maps and search for "Rensselaer Union, Troy, NY."

The tournament room is on the second floor, in a large open central room called the McNeil room. There are four main pillars around the center of the room. This is visible from entrances on the second floor and directly behind the main entrance lobby (go up some stairs to enter the building rather than in a lower side door). This is the same room as that used for 5th BEST.

Google maps image. Most people will probably come from 7/Hoosick St.

Zoomed in plus parking. Greens are definitely free, and parking meters do not charge on weekends.

Building image is how it looks from the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

We can provide housing overnight if necessary. Contact us beforehand or post here.

Prices:

No venue fee
$5 Melee singles
$5 Brawl singles
$10 Melee teams (per team)
$10 Brawl teams (per team)

Payouts:
Singles:
1st - 55%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%

Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Schedule: (subject to change)

Registration for each event will go until the time listed, and then seeding/pool-making starts. Singles will include pools.

9:00am - Venue opens
11:00am - Melee doubles
1:00pm - Melee singles
5:00pm - Brawl doubles
7:00pm - Brawl singles
12:30am - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

1v1 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

1v1 Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Counterpicks:
None

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Meta Knight is banned.
- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Meta Knight's infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.
- Scrooging is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Setups:

Bring them.

Attendance:

Zaandaa (tiger10x)
Calm
CAC
Vibe
Kwan
Questor
Pipe
Britt
+ some RPI
Cura
Sharky
Beta
Erk
Trademark
JamesG
Dai Luna
Stack
Spamus
Cross
PKnightmare
MetalPat
CJT
iceyman02
Omega Tyrant
No_Skillz
BCB
L-Don
Nito-RL
Paramedic
Poly

San
Nintendude
Rykard
Dudutsai
Honeybadger

Past attendance:

America.

T.O. contact info:
Zaandaa/tiger10x (op)
Name: Adam
AIM: Zaandaa (preferred method of contact)
Cell: 207-649-0605

Calm
Name: Kevin
AIM: point of agony89
Cell: 845-248-6331

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
We don't talk about 6th and 7th BEST's.

@M2K:
you have to realize that paying for your travel so that you can take from the pot in both games would be an absolutely absurd thing to do. There's no venue fee, so that $10 you would normally lose there can go towards travel. I don't think entry fees will change, but I'll let you know if they do. Hope to see you there if you can make it.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to mention in the first post that Meta Knight will be banned at this tournament. Copy/paste is too fun. Sorry, M2K.

LLDL

Smash Hero
This is around my birthday, I'll see if I can come if it doesn't interfere with Clash or something closer.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll try to come since this occurs before classes start for me.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
My dad said that because of how good my grades were, that he'll be fine with me going to this. I'll probably make it as long as I don't have anything going on during that day.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
ill try and make sure i have work off, as well as trying to get CJT to go.
anyway. assuming tommy isnt going so i wanted to see about teams?
VIBBBEEEEE you sly mother****er, we teaming at this?

that is... unless san decides to go, then sans should totally team with me :p

Sharky

Smash Master
^damn that call-out.

My attendance here completely depends on how many hours I can get at work this month.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
How hard is it to get to RPI from boston?
You pretty much just take I 90 West the entire way. It's about a 3 hour drive. If you mean public transit, I'm almost certain there are buses that run from boston to Albany, where someone could definitely pick you up.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
You pretty much just take I 90 West the entire way. It's about a 3 hour drive. If you mean public transit, I'm almost certain there are buses that run from boston to Albany, where someone could definitely pick you up.
yeah there are greyhounds and such that take you from boston to albany.
round drip its like 75-80 bucks i think.... so its not cheap but if you drive gas only costs round trip maybe 45 bucks?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
i am not going to a mk banned event even though i do not play brawl, i stress all players to not go to this tournament.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Considering you don't play Brawl, and probably don't know the metagame very well, I stress all players to ignore you.
very much so this. not to go against Mana, because i am also against the MK ban, but i would say that since the ban IS ALREADY going on, i would like to see how it plays out regardless.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Because whatever fake-authority-composed-of-washed-up-pansy-nobodies who decreed a metaknight ban can go **** off and let TO's do it on their own, I know the TO of these tournaments is a smart guy and to limit attendance by imposing an unfair ban is silly!!! Think!!!

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Because whatever fake-authority-composed-of-washed-up-pansy-nobodies who decreed a metaknight ban can go **** off and let TO's do it on their own, I know the TO of these tournaments is a smart guy and to limit attendance by imposing an unfair ban is silly!!! Think!!!
Zaandaa and I decided together that banning Meta Knight is the right move for this tournament. It probably won't limit attendance at all. It might even boost attendance. And to call it an unfair ban is laughable. You should probably think and stop trying to indoctrinate people for a cause you have no stake in nor knowledge about.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Honestly, the MK ban makes me want to consider trying to enter Brawl <_<
I'm personally against the ban (at least for singles. I think MK might be ban-worthy in doubles) but I do think it is important to give it some test runs to see how things play out.

Rykard

Smash Ace
3 hours from school? not too bad. idk how i would get there though. i may be bringing back my 08' brawl skills for this. Melee should be fun!

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Actually mk being banned is more acceptable for singles than doubles. Mk isnt over powered in doubles as much. 2 mks on a team though is kinda gay. Either way idc if mk is banned. ill just use koopa

Sharky

Smash Master
Cura you've definitely got it backwards on this one. Check out the doubles results of almost any tournament and compare them to the singles results. Hell, check out YOUR doubles results, they're MUCH more MK than your singles. Even I use MK in doubles every now and then. He's overwhelmingly more busted in doubles than singles, IMO, cause he gets away with even more bs than he does in singles.

edit: gave up on that luigi already? :troll:

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Naw imma use luigi and you use mk in doubles because both yoshi and rob sucks in doubles Lol.

Top Bottom