• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4-Controller to USB Adapter Project

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Intro

Hey guys, I'm a last year Computer Engineering student at McGill University in Montreal. I worked on this project last summer primarily for the experience and because I wanted to be able to have some kind of portable melee. I've been using this thing to play on my laptop since.

I wanted to make this thread for a few reasons:
1) If anyone else is looking to do anything similar, I could perhaps help out.
2) If anyone has any ideas for improvements/other projects that might be cool.
3) To show how awesome it is :D

Demonstration Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgi_-K5HXd0

"Making-of" Album:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150202447076304.310536.688776303&type=3&l=df53851c50

Cost Estimate

GC Female Connectors: $7.89 (Cause I can't find a way to buy just the connectors and shipping costs for bulk extension cables from China are really high)
USB Cable: $0.08 (If bought in bulk with extension cable purchase from China, shipping not double counted)
Board: $6.00
Parts: $9.95
Case: ??? (Don't know yet)
Time: Tip/Donation? (This would be the time it takes to solder the board, make the case, ship it, etc)

Total without Case: $23.92 + Shipping
Total with Case: ??? + Shipping

Acknowledgements
Status

Update 4/10/13:
I want to get back to working on this. I've decided that I simply do not have the time to make a lot of these myself as they take about 3+ hours of labor each to make by hand. That said... I am working on getting a final version ready and I may take custom orders but I will be charging a price higher than I would have liked. This way I will have to make less as less people will order them and I'll at least get something for my time. If in the future I find a way to get these mass manufactured, the price will definitely go down. I haven't fully decided on a price yet.

Update 4/25/13:
I've just been made aware of a really affordable commercial product that apparently works well. Find it at http://www.amazon.com/GC-Controller-Adapter-PC/dp/B0089NVTDM .

This was a fun project but I definitely can't compete with prices like that. If anyone has any questions regarding controller communication protocol or anything technical regarding the project I'll be glad to chat.

Kal

Smash Champion
That is pretty amazing. I don't know about the legal issues with selling these, but you should consider doing so. I'd buy one. I'd also love a tutorial on how to make one.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Any input lag?

:phone:
None. The only lag you get is lag running the emulator (if your computer isn't good enough) which is completely different than the lag you get when playing on an HD TV. The device itself has no lag.

That is pretty amazing. I don't know about the legal issues with selling these, but you should consider doing so. I'd buy one. I'd also love a tutorial on how to make one.
I haven't really looked at it either but if I were to sell them I would need to find a better way to manufacture them. For now I would recommend http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php . The guy that made these helped me out a bit with making mine, unfortunately his adapters are only one-to-one.

Regarding a tutorial... I know sometimes people sell kits which you have to solder yourself. Maybe I'll look into that option. The only problem is there's some highly non-standard parts used. Primarily the female gc connectors which I obtained by buying extension cables and cutting them in half. The case might be an issue too. Alternatively I could make a tutorial about how to make one from an Arduino UNO, without casing. That might be easier, I'll consider it.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Does this use the standard windows USB joystick driver?
Standard windows gamepad driver. As far as I know the joystick driver only has analog on the joystick? I needed more analog inputs for the c-stick and the r/l triggers.

This is the configuration page provided by windows that can be used to calibrate the controllers:

Notice how there are four choices on the left side. One per controller input.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
This is pretty cool, looks good also! Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL9IVIecFT0&feature=related

but with:

-4 controller ports

-bigger screen without lag

-huge battery that would last for hours

-SD-card/USB-port/internal memory/flash for loading games and save states, would also make the battery last longer because you wouldn't need discs

-speakers (obv)

-2 tv outs,

one for the TV if one wants to use the device as portable GC

and the other one RCA out for recording

One can always dream

Oh, a portable GC with SD loading has already been done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesH8XIsDm4&feature=related

Massive

Smash Champion
That portable gamecube build is pretty damn awesome.

I bet it eats batteries like Halloween candy though.

edit:
An awesome build for anyone interested in doing it.

A gamecube with an SDloader that has a built in upscaler for use with modern HDTVs.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
THIS IS GENIOUS :)
Nintendo should totally hire you so you can use it for the next smash bros :D
hope the next smash brothers isn't a disappointment like brawl :/

LLDL

Smash Hero
^ I'm pretty sure they know how to add gamecube ports lol.

But yeah this project is great, keep it up.

stelzig

Smash Lord
It's also on 3DS

We never know.
It will probably be even worse on the 3ds. On the wiiu there is at least a good chance that the classic controller will be usable.

Both the OP controller stuff and the handheld GC was very cool. Do you really have a laptop that can actually emulate melee properly though? :O

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
Not gonna lie, surface mount soldering is a nightmare when you're starting to learn it. I built a pre-amp using only SMD's and I felt like I could do brain surgery afterwards. This is really great! Release schematic and PCB design?

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Funny to see people posting in here that I played at Apex (Teczero and Sinji). I played you both in friendlies on the same set up in fact I think, near the back door on day 1, I'm a falcon player.

Do you really have a laptop that can actually emulate melee properly though? :O
Actually it's amazing how smooth the latest builds of Dolphin are. I can even run it relatively smoothly on my desktop which only has an old dual core processor (granted my video card is beast). My laptop has an i5 and it runs near-flawlessly.

Not gonna lie, surface mount soldering is a nightmare when you're starting to learn it. I built a pre-amp using only SMD's and I felt like I could do brain surgery afterwards. This is really great! Release schematic and PCB design?
I'll try to release everything shortly. In truth I didn't know whether I wanted to do something with the idea/try to sell it... but I suppose I'll just release it all under some kind of open source license.

Does the C-Stick work?
Yes. The C-stick uses the X-rotation and Y-rotation analog inputs you can see in the calibration picture I posted before. Slider and Z-rotation are the L/R triggers.

rhan

Smash Hero
I would want one of those.

Not only to play Melee and various GC games through an emulator. But so I don't have to use a Xbox/Ps3 controller for the other emulators. A Gamecube controller just feels more natural to me anyway.

Really though you should copyright (or whatever it is) this and make profit.

dkuo

Smash Lord
extreme bump there LOL

although now that online melee is becoming more viable this is more relevant now

hi melee online fb group

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Hard to say. I was noticing some connectivity issues with my first prototype. Inputs would stop being registered and you had to move the device a little to make it work again. It wasn't overly common but were I to release it I'd prefer to have a flawless product.

The issue sounds like it may be a bad connection or maybe my traces were too small or something. In any case, since then I've made improvements to the PCB and I really need to get it fabbed and test it out.

If I were to make them myself I would only charge price of materials + shipping as my contribution to the community since so many others donate a lot of their time to making the community better. The problem is it's hard for me to make them myself and really get into it because I work full time. Another option is to get them manufactured and I don't know anything about that.

Cost of materials would likely come out to about $40-50 I think. The benefit of this one over the others though is the possibility for four gamepads at once.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Nah man don't open source it, make some cash off this thing you deserve it :)

Deadgye

Smash Rookie
I've always wanted to do something like this but I've always been too lazy to bother getting started. Really good work. Definitely going to run through your schematic and code when I have some free time later. Final year comp eng undergrad here as well so if I see any improvements or fixes I'll be sure to let you know.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
The design is basically an Arduino daughter board. This is because I did my initial testing and development on an Arduino UNO. As such, it is possible to make a couple connections to an Arduino UNO and flash both processors to achieve the same result.

Feel free to look through it :). If you have any questions you can always pm me.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I put in a preliminary list of costs in the OP.

The easiest thing for me would be to sell without the case. Would anyone be interested in purchasing the board with everything soldered but with no case? I'll get a picture up here once I get my new boards and parts in and solder them. Would look kinda like this: http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/175704_10150261036706304_5280394_o.jpg

Regarding making the case, my previous case was 3D printed. That said, 3D printing is rather expensive and is not suitable for production - even smallish scale production. I want to experiment with molding and casting but I have no idea on whether it'll be successful or the cost per case at this time.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Perhaps make the 3D file available to the public as well and sell without case until you find a more suitable solution.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
So I put an order for 3 of my new version of the board and parts. I updated the price to reflect the actual cost of parts. Ended up being cheaper than expected.

I still need to test to make sure it's stable and once I'm happy with it I'll put in an order to make more which I can sell.

I'm not sure about the price of the case yet. I actually have to design a new case to work with the new PCB and the new connectors still (because China didn't send me the same connectors even though I specifically asked first and was told it would be the same)

Gea

Smash Master
Just wanted to voice support for you. Sorry for the sort of late response. I'd definitely be interested in one once I had the funds. Case and all.

Top Bottom