• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The West MI Thread / Make Plans Here - PM Tourney: Red Edition

salvi

Smash Rookie
Were in Kentwood is it?

te="Arcalyth, post: 16089074, member: 214762"]rootfest 6 (facebook) - scheduled January 4, 2014 in Kentwood (10 mins south of GR on the highway)

Lake Effect 2 - scheduled February 1, 2014 at the same location[/quote]
Wheb

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Somebody is considering hosting a PM/Brawl tourney in Grand Blanc on the 15th is there is interest, in preparation for Shuffle V. I would like to attend this event if this happens, my girlfriend and myself would be interested in a ride to an this if it happens. Does this sound like something that would interest West MI?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Somebody is considering hosting a PM/Brawl tourney in Grand Blanc on the 15th is there is interest, in preparation for Shuffle V. I would like to attend this event if this happens, my girlfriend and myself would be interested in a ride to an this if it happens. Does this sound like something that would interest West MI?
That's a three hour drive for me direct, and three and a half hour if I swing through Muskegon/Grand Rapids. If it wasn't the week prior to Shuffle, sure, maybe. But that's gonna be 6+ hours of driving prior to a weekend of very similar driving. I think I'm gonna pass on this one and save my time.

Or Muskegon could host a rudefest or something.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Is it still a bump it it's less than a month? Not at all! and I don't need you to go and count the days 'cause it's definitely less than a month.

Alright West MI, let's talk carpools and tournaments. I think it's high time we make a concentrated effort to getting ourselves out there and actually learn how to play in an out of state environment. I know we have tons of skilled players, but more tournaments against different and oftentimes more experienced players will help us out immensely. So without further adieu, let's look into these tournaments. And East MI, if you're interested in any of these, let us know, we may have room in our carpools to assist you.

1. CEO 2014 - Orlando, Florida (June 27th)
We're a big PM scene out here, and with Melee players picking up Project M as a secondary game(and sometimes a new primary game), CEO just makes sense as a goal. Granted, we're looking at a long car trip, but West MI is known for its Smash Van experience, and with solid reports of fantastic atmosphere from previous CEOs, this seems like the Summer tournament.

2. UFGT10:X - Chicago, Illinois (May 23rd)
The next step down from CEO and a lot closer venue, UFGT10 seems to be running along the same lines as CEO, but just smaller. It's a bit of a 'Why not both' situation, as while it would take quite a bit of vacation time, we've got a couple months to put the time in enough to go for the weekend. I hope West MI can step up its game enough to make it to both of these, and showcase a couple solid wins.

3. An Exposure Tournament/Wavedash Wednesday - Chicago, Illinois
Getting out to Chicago is a must for our PM Community, and these are a lot lower impact than both of those tournaments, sticking completely with our grassroots community. Hopefully by heading out there and taking names, we can start bringing them in to our tournaments.

A good idea, really, is to start really selling our streams a lot more when we play, even at Smashfests if we can help it. More exposure means more people can weigh in on our gameplay, and we can learn from their suggestions.

Is there any other tournaments you guys have been looking at? Maybe something in Ohio, or if the Kishes host anything else in Indiana again...

As far as getting to a tournament goes, we have the Smash Van coming in as the prime vehicle for this, but I can drive my Saturn without too much hassle as well. If anyone else wants to offer a vehicle, that'd be great, as sometimes we have more people wanting to go than we have room for, and someone gets left out. Let's not have that happen again.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I think I am going to Vegas this summer but if not I'm down for a serious trip. I've never been to Florida. And Chicago is pretty close. Both sound HYYYPE

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, if people don't want to go to that May 23rd tourney...

We could always hike back to Somerset, NJ for SKTAR 3 on May 31st.
I would rather go to the Chicago tourney. It's alot closer, which would make it a cheaper trip haha

As far as the Florida trip goes, if smash van is a thing for this :O HYPE!!!!!!!!! The 27th is my bday, so going to Florida for my bday weekend would be beyond hype

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
My only argument for SKTAR over Chicago is that SKTAR is a dedicated Smash tourney. I'm down for either, but I think for matchups SKTAR will be more hype, but Chicago will be more hype overall.

I think Chicago's the way to go, but I still want us to consider SKTAR an option too.

Top Bottom