• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monthlies Arcade Legacy! Prolly odne.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm's Monthlies!
July 21st, 2012
Located at Arcade Legacy
600 Cincinnati Mills Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45240

Prepare for FC!

FC is coming up in August, and it is a tournament hosting Melee, Brawl, 64, and Project M. It's a really fun tournament series that people not around for the Melee scene might not know, but trust me when I say that the Kishes basically made midwest Smash something worthwhile. You want to go to this tournament. For more information on the tournament, go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=320283

There may be a Brawl only thread going up soon for the FC tournament.

I'm planning on hosting these on a monthly basis to make the local scene have a steady tournament series, to actually focus on getting people better, and to prepare for FC.

1. Venue information
2. Tournament Rules / Payout
3. Entry and Payout
4. Side Events
5. Driver / Setup raffle

Registration is from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 on Saturday, June 30th!

1. Venue Information

You can find more info about Arcade Legacy here.

It is directly across from the food court, so food will be right there. If you are eliminated from the tournament there are a ton of arcade games around, all completely free to play. Arcade Legacy has a ton of cool stuff for sale here, so definitely look at their merchandise.

When parking, it is suggested that you park in Entrance 3 in the parking garage. Arcade Legacy is on the lower level of the mall.

Arcade Legacy’s number: 513-874-8766

2. Ruleset

The tournament will be using the FC Ruleset, with some slight changes. It is basically the Unity ruleset with Norfair legal.

Stage List

Starters | Counterpicks
Battlefield|Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege|Delfino Plaza
Final Destination|Rainbow Cruise
Lylat Cruise|Pokémon Stadium 2
Pokemon Stadium 1|Norfair
Smashville|Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)|Brinstar

Check the FC rule packet for all the specifics.

The basics for those that aren't familiar:
3 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit
• Sets will be either best-of-3 or best-of-5 as time allows, announced prior to each stage
• Items set to "Off" and "None"
• Team Attack ON
• Meta Knight is banned
• Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks remaining, then lower (total in teams)
percentage. If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or
via suicide move) or if time runs out with both players at equal percent, a one-stock, three-minute rematch will be played on the same stage.
• All infinites and chain grabs are legal. However, the act of stalling, intentionally making the
game unplayable, will result in a forfeit. This includes: continuing infinites, chain grabs, or
uninterruptible moves past 350%, becoming invisible, and remaining in a position where your opponent cannot interact with you.

Instead of running a bracket, this tournament will be POOLS ONLY. This will take setups, time, and effort put forth by everyone in attendance but will ultimately give us a better competition and most importantly more matches. Pay attention to this next part for how pools are going to be determined, as it will help you understand what happens during a tie.

Determining placement order in pools:
1. Number of set wins determines the initial order. With the structure we use, no one can be
eliminated with one loss.
2. Players who are tied go into tie-breaking, following the sequence below. If at any point one person separates himself from the others with one of the following criteria, and more than one person remains tied, the tie-breaker will return to this point with those individuals. That means you go back to #3.
3. Check head-to-head Results (who beat who)
4. Check overall round win percentage within the entire pool (wins divided by losses)
5. Check head-to-head round win percentage (round wins only amongst the tied parties)
6. Check total round wins within the pool
7. Check total round wins amongst the tied parties
8. If tie takes place after the first seeding round, players may then be tie-broken by seed entering pool, then by overall tournament set record, and then by overall tournament round record. (this... shouldn't happen)
9. If a tie takes place during Round 1 and no tie-breaking criteria applies, additional players may be advanced at the discretion of the TO or *if time does not allow there may be a tie-breaking set between tied parties*.

Anything in asterisks is *not part of FC's pool evaluation*.

Please note - players do not have the right to check the pool sheet during play to see how they are doing, unless the pool is being managed by a player in the pool. If a pool captain is running the pool, simply take the directions you are given and play your matches, and at the end you will find out your placing.

The pool system depends on your commitment to play all matches to the best of your ability. As such, we reserve the right to eliminate any player thought to be throwing matches. I know you guys might want to play secondaries or try a new stage and that's fine, but if you're caught running the numbers and then throwing matches deliberately to get someone else to move on or be eliminated, you'll be removed from the pool.

Should anyone be removed from a pool at any time, the wins/losses to that player that have already occurred will be discounted.

3. Entry Fee and Payout

Singles - $10 per player
Doubles - $20 per team
Venue Fee - $5

Payout:
1st 48%
2nd 22%
3rd 14%
4th 8%
5th 4%

4. Side Tournaments

There may be side tournaments, but they will always fall behind Brawl. No one gets to say "Let me play my (side tournament) match first" when they've got pools matches to play.

Side tournaments should only be for games on the Xbox 360 or PS3 or Arcade Machines located in the venue.

If you have an idea for a side tournament, let me know ASAP. There will only be one legitimate side tournament per event, but I'm not against others being played on the 360 or PS3 setups there.

5. DRIVER / SETUP RAFFLE

I will be holding a driver / setup raffle. For everyone who shows up as a driver (a driver being someone who brought at least two people entering Brawl singles with them, I don't care if your mom actually drove) and/or brings/completes a full setup they get to enter into the raffle. I will then draw at least one name from the raffle and then you may win a prize. It may be bead art, it may be money, it may be a book, a game, a gift card, or $10 off something in the store (given to you by me giving $10 to the owner) or whatever I feel like giving out at that time. You can get multiple raffle tickets entered! So if you are driving a van with four other people in it, two TVs, three Wiis, and three copies of Brawl and there's a TV that need a Wii and a copy of Brawl... you get 5 raffle tickets entered. No one else can buy their way in, it's all setups alone, and you can win more than once.

In short:

For every two people you bring with you to the event

and/or

for every setup you complete (TV, Wii, Brawl)

You are entered in the raffle and prizes will be drawn before the end of the event.

BRING SETUPS

The next potential date will be either August 11th or August 18th, I haven't decided yet. Leaning August 18th but havne't check anything whatsoever on it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Setups:

TVs:
1-9 Arcade Legacy
10. Shadow Phoenix
11. Lumi
12. Overswarm
13. Krystedez (?)
14. Kirikou Rung

Wii+Brawl:
1-2 Arcade Legacy/Overswarm
3. Shadow Phoenix
4. Ralph Cecil
5. Tako?
6. Lumi
7. XeroXen
8. XeroXen
9. XeroXen (?)
10. Ralph Cecil
11. Krystedez
12. Kirikou Rung

Interested parties:
Overswarm
Kiest
Kassandra
Kel
DtJ Squid
Ralph Cecil + Greenup?
Clowsui
Eddie G
Shadow Phoenix
SneakyTako
Sonjicboom
XeroXen
Judo
Carls493 + Columbus?
Luminoth
Alpha Zealot
Mister Eric
Sold2
Kirikou Rung
Redman
Krystedez
Composer
Hades
SoulPech

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Update to the main post!

If you guys are able to bring setups, please do and let me know ASAP so I can get a good count. We need all the setups we can get for the pools matches!

Roller

Smash Legend
This ruleset is so dumb. Even though I think Norfair and Japes are more fair than Brinstar, it's ******** to practice on them for this when no other tourneys worth going to are going to have them legal.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
I'll definitely be here with a full setup.

@Roller: I don't think the addition of those two stages is really going to change much. Everyone is pretty inexperienced on those stages, especially Japes, so I don't see why they'd get picked as a CP more over the others that are there.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Woops! Forgot to Japes off.

I'd love to add Japes and Pictochat at least, but unfortunately I'm only using Norfair. FC was originally going to have Japes, but I decided to leave it off to compromise as FC is a national level event and most others haven't played on Japes much.

Norfairs on though. :B

After FC though, the stage list will likely expand. But for now, Unity + Norfair.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Good stuff OS.

Brinstar is actually pretty fun without MK. You can actually CP there without facepalming when they show you their pocket MK and it turns into their CP lol.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I'd much rather ban RC, although it works in my favor for most characters lol.

Brinstar is just lame against people who kill early and big hitboxes.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Most people ban brinstar because they are unfamliar with the stage. And most of that was based on MK I feel.

With MK banned, there's alot of give and take in most MUs. People who can shark generally can't take advantage of the extended hitboxes and smaller platforms, people who kill early can't take advantage of sharking on the mainstage and the wall.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Except that 90% of the time one person bans FD, and the other bans Brinstar.
I actually considered removing FD from the starter list for that reason, but will probably wait until after FC.

Roller

Smash Legend
Most people ban brinstar because they are unfamliar with the stage. And most of that was based on MK I feel.

With MK banned, there's alot of give and take in most MUs. People who can shark generally can't take advantage of the extended hitboxes and smaller platforms, people who kill early can't take advantage of sharking on the mainstage and the wall.
I ban brinstar because I am too familiar with it.

I've seen the horrible things that happen when you go up against Peach/DK/Ike/etc there. It's horrifying.
I actually considered removing FD from the starter list for that reason, but will probably wait until after FC.
Well, if you do that, then it would be prudent to also take away the stage least liked by stage control characters from the Neutral list. Because right now FD is just serving as a buffer to keep another ground based stage from being striked. And the opposite end of the spectrum has stages doing the same thing.

But truthfully, if you do it in a balanced way, there wont be any difference at all. So there's really no need to change it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I ban brinstar because I am too familiar with it.

I've seen the horrible things that happen when you go up against Peach/DK/Ike/etc there. It's horrifying.
Yes, we've all grown to fear Peach, DK, and Ike.

=P

But I think you bring up a valid point that the stage is a good addition.

One thing I've never really touched on often because it's hard to explain is the negative effect of "repeat" stages.

When you play on a stage like Luigi's Mansion, it is remarkably different than other stages. Ditto to a stage like Brinstar. It has a life of its own and affects the game in various different ways.

When you play on a stage like Smashville, you find yourself in the same situation as you would in a stage like Final Destination or Battlefield. The differences between the stages aren't really that great (well, Battlefield and FD are, but both share similar situations as smashville).

When this occurs, you get natural overlap that kind of defeats the purpose of having more stages. I had this issue the last time I removed FD from the starter list, when I replaced it with Libra. My goal there was to make an "FD two", basically. One very small platform in the very center of the stage, a smaller ceiling, and an otherwise flat area allowed for an FD that basically had the same issues. Not as extreme, but the same issues.

When this much overlap occurs, issues in balance can arise. While I prefer to let games grow organically, imagine if we found none of the stages in Brawl banworthy; ICs would be useless, for instance. Or if we had 5 more "flat/plat" stages, they'd be buffed a horrendous amount.

I haven't come to a decision on what I think would be the best avenue at that point, as it hasn't occured yet, but situations like that could be unduly centralizing without adding anything into the game itself.

Well, if you do that, then it would be prudent to also take away the stage least liked by stage control characters from the Neutral list. Because right now FD is just serving as a buffer to keep another ground based stage from being striked. And the opposite end of the spectrum has stages doing the same thing.

But truthfully, if you do it in a balanced way, there wont be any difference at all. So there's really no need to change it.
?

What starter ISN'T ground based?

Roller

Smash Legend
Almost nobody stays on the ground for more than a split second vs me on YI. They all camp the platform, and the ghost when it appears.

When a ground based character is being used by one party, a lot of typical "ground based" stages turn into platform/aerial battles. Like vs Diddy on SV.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It's possible, but I'd prefer to not set up anything that uses a Wii station just yet. If there happens to be time there later I wouldn't mind, but as we're doing Pools only we're going to need all the setups we can get at all times.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm going to see about getting to these OS, MK banned is super hot, and so is the driver raffle.

We are unable to bring TVs in the car we usually use though, but we could bring Wii setups if required. (2-3 of them, in fact)

Judo777

Smash Master
Norfair is too big! I wish I could play Sonic and stall but I can't. Pika can sorta do it too. I love the stage tho, Id like to come to this.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm going to see about getting to these OS, MK banned is super hot, and so is the driver raffle.

We are unable to bring TVs in the car we usually use though, but we could bring Wii setups if required. (2-3 of them, in fact)
Arcade legacy has TVs with no Wiis, so those would count for a full setup. :)

To reiterate to everyone:

I don't care if you just bring a wii/brawl, if it fills up a blank TV you get put in the raffle.

Kel

Smash Master
I'm actually very surprised that more custom stages tournaments never came up. With how selective our community is with its stages you would think that we would just make the most competitive list possible and go from there. OS, to my knowledge, is the only person to even run custom stage tournaments and everyone seemed to love the neutral customs. I'd be interested to see one of these monthlies be a custom stage only tournament.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
If Juu and SP are willing to go to this again, I might show up again too through them.

It mainly depends on what happens to me around June 30th.

Jcwest2007

Smash Cadet
Smash ohio

Hello all, Not trying to snatch attn away from this tournament. Just posting to see if anyone may be willing to transit here to COLUMBUS, OH. I am an avid tournament smasher and would like to bring in the competitors to the CO for some BRAWL, and possibly melee.

My smash-clique(if u will) has had strong consideration for hold Columbus Tournaments Regularly. I have more than enough skills required to give you thrilling comp, and I have a close network of friends playing at different levels, but the love for competition is across the board. However MK will be banned, as his moves do not truly require skills---though majority of you are privy to legit tourney rules.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE--- Let me know if you are interested and how many competitors u will bring with you, I need at least 40 to do this right. I will be competing/paying in cash as well.

Here's how we do:

$10 to back up your skills
$15-
$5 to cover the venue (likely to be held at a hotel in Northern Columbus, OH)

There will be hot-dogs, chips, and beverages for sale individually or as a combo.

Tourney1: First 20 compete----> Top 5 move on to Finals- after tourney 2.

Tourney2: repeat with new 20---->Top 5 complete Final's competitors.

Finals- Prizes reflect 40 plyr turnout

1srt---%70 of skills pot.
2nd---%20
3rd---%10

Everyone Else gets a pat on the back.-----though with enough people to hang around afterward- we may run a small doubles or melee tourney.

If you are serious about competing and getting to Columbus for this; I will make it happen.
Email me with the amount of players you can bring, and if a Sunday night in June would be good for you.

e-mail me: jonchristopheradams@yahoo.com

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Haha... I would suggest creating a thread on this forum. Give it a start/end date, an address to the venue, and the exact rules used for the tournament. You can see many tournaments already set up with rules; a good starting place is this very post of the Unity Ruleset which can be found elsewhere.

Columbus would gladly have tournaments and we have already traveled to columbus for smash tournaments on many occasions. Just post a thread with the date for the tournament and people can give you some advice.

I'd also suggest attending some tournaments before running your own; it'll help you get involved with teh scene and you can see how we've done it. We've been doing it for a long time so we have a good system going!

Jcwest2007

Smash Cadet
Thanks

Been to many tournament since 07' . I've won at least 7 tournaments in Columbus alone, and a couple in MI. A few of which i found on here. I am only inexperienced with this site.

Just got one posted for myself, I posted here because the players attending this tourney are more likely to drive to Columbus, I haven't been on this site in a few years so I'm still figuring this out.

I got set-ups for the type of tournament I'm holdin'. I hate to be a poor sport about melee, because I cant seem to break into the god tier at tourney's(falco). But I'll oversee a tournament for melee as well- if the demand can call for it.

*startin to feel like a troll--haha- I'll request my squad-members from Middletown to attend this dude's tourney"

Happy Smashin' folks.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Jcwest2007, you should definitely do money matches with people. The customary amount is $100.

>_>

<_<

:B

Top Bottom