• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashCon Presents: TASOL 2012 [Road to WHobo] ($200 pot bonuses)

Curlz

Smash Lord
SmashCon Presents:
TASOL 2012
July 15, 2012

(The Awesome Smash of Louisiana)

Out of State, where you at? ;)

Venue:
Ohana Pier
1311 Gause Blvd Ste 3
Slidell, LA 70458

Fees:
$10 venue fee
$10 Entry Fee*

*Brawl is $15.
*Mario Kart is $5

Paying the venue fee also gets you 2 slices of pizza and a cold drink for lunch. :]

Schedule

12-Open
1:00-N64 singles
1:30-Melee Singles
2:00-Tasol Brawl Tournament / SSF4:AE / MK9
3:00-Project M
4:00-UMvC3 / Skull Girls
5:30-Thirty Minute Lunch Break
6:00-Mario Kart Wii
10:00-Closing Time

[collapse=Tournament Priority]
As you can see, this tournament is on a tight schedule. If you are cross-entered in a tournament (entered in multiple tournaments) and you have a more than one match to play at once, the tournament with the higher entry fee takes priority.

Brawl > 64/Melee/P:M > SSF4:AE/MK9/UmVC3/Skull Girls/Mario Kart Wii

For example, If you are waiting to play a tournament match for Melee but you get called for a tournament match in Brawl, you must leave the Melee station and come play your Brawl match.

However, if a tournament match is already going on in any game, you will not be required to leave until said match is complete. You must report to your next match immediately afterwards.

Tournament matches have priority over any money match. [/collapse]

Smashcon 2012 summer event is almost here, and we're making it a world-class experience. This time around we'll be featuring Tasol's Brawl Tournament to bring in the hardest of the hardcore and also to award travel stipends for Whobo. With the help from Tasol and the great staff at Smash-con, this is going to be an unforgettable event. So come this July, take off work, give church a rain-check and cancel that life-saving surgery to spend the day playing games casually or competitively, testing your skills with the best of the best, and just plain having a good time.

CASH
Remember to bring around 100 dollars in cash. We do have a card machine for tourneys and merchandise we personally sell, but our booths at the con more then likely will not. Be prepared to buy nice, custom made, one-of-a-kind novelty items you won't find anywhere else (Hats, key chains, posters, ETC)

Pools will be run to determine proper seeding for all events throughout the day. (time permitting)

Payouts

Smash:

Special thanks to Play N Trade of Lafayette, LA for the pot Bonus for Brawl.

Brawl
1st-55% (+$100 pot bonus)
2nd-25% (+$50 pot bonus)
3rd-15%
4th-5%
[COLLAPSE="Brawl Ruleset for Smashcon"]General Info:
-8 minutes, 3 stocks
-All items off
-Metaknight is banned
-Matches are played best 2/3 games, grande finals are 3 sets of best 3/5 games*
*Note: Games and sets played for Grand Finals are subject to change if time is short
-Stage striking or agreeing on a stage is permitted
-Winner of game bans stage, loser picks stage to play on next
-Conduct and courtesy rules from The Unity Ruleset still apply
-TO powers and rights from The Unity Ruleset still apply

Stages:
Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Halberd[/COLLAPSE]

Melee
1st-50%
2nd-20%
3rd-10%
[collapse=Melee Smashcon Ruleset]Melee ruleset is the standard 4 stocks, team attack on, 8 minute time limit with the following stages:

Singles
Neutrals - Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick - Pokemon Stadium

Doubles
Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium

Oh and wobbling is legal but anyone caught wobbling will be ridiculed and harassed for being a weenie.

First will be pools, then a double elimination bracket. Matches will be best of 3, except for finals and semi-finals which will be best of 5. Any obscure rules can be found here: MBR Recommended Ruleset.[/collapse]

N64
1st-50%
2nd-20%
3rd-10%
[COLLAPSE="N64 Smashcon Ruleset"]Best 2 of 3
5 stock
No items

Neutral Stages

Dreamland
Hyrule
Congo

First match

Hyrule (always)

Loser picks Second stage

Hyrule
Dreamland
Congo

Winner can strike one[/COLLAPSE]

Project M
1st-50%
2nd-20%
3rd-10%

Tradional Fighters:

UMVC3
1st-50% (+$50 pot bonus)
2nd-20%
3rd-10%
Skull Girls
1st-50%
2nd-20%
3rd-10%

Other Games:

Mario Kart Wii
1st-50%
2nd-20%
3rd-10%
[collapse=Mario Kart Smashcon Ruleset]Preliminary Rounds:- 2 Player Versus
- Class: 150 cc
- CPU: none
- Courses: Random (every race; will be changed beforehand in in-game “Rules”)
- Items: Balanced
- Race count: 3
- All karts/bikes, and controllers allowed
- Best 2 out 3, with the winner advancing to next round
- 1st place = 15 points, 2nd place = 7 points

- Winner of winner's bracket plays the winner of loser's bracket in the finals
- Winner of loser's bracket must win 2 consecutive sets in order to win the
tournament

Finals:- Same rules as preliminary rounds only, instead of 150 cc, finalists will race all
courses on MIRROR mode.[/collapse]

Road to TASOL Information:

Now I'm sure many of you are wondering, what is the "Road" to Tasol?

It's simple. Each event listed as a “Road to TASOL” qualifier events will feature a ranking point system for the singles events. The point system, listed below, will help us to make sure that the best experience possible is given to each player. The points are broken down from 1st place to 7th place below.

1st place – 64 pts
2nd place – 32 pts
3rd place – 16 pts
4th place – 8 pts
5th place – 4 pts
5th place – 4 pts
7th place – 2 pts
7th place – 2 pts

These points will aid to the seeding at Tasol as well as give the top 4 seeds a FREE HOTEL ROOM for the entire weekend of Tasol. Since Tasol isn't until Sunday, you have the entire weekend to explore and enjoy the culture of Louisiana. Top 4 seeds at the end of the road will be contacted

TOs Confirmed

Brawl- JNig / Bomber / Curlz
Melee - Erick / Curlz
N64- Curlz
Project M- Curlz
UMVC3- Ryck
Skull Girls- Ryck
Mario Kart Wii- Sarah

New stuff

-Booths
-Tradional Fighters
-Bonus pot for Brawl and others

Venue Pics

Front of building.

Auditorium.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
I'm hype for a big Melee tourney. But once again as with LAST, I feel the event fee should be at least $10 if not $15 to attract OOS and make winning worth it. Just my 2 pennies.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
how big is this going to be? I live in new jersey but i may fly out to this 1 tournament if enough people will come to this
We aren't sure yet, we have about 40 people on the facebook event who have said yes to going. However, that's just the facebook event. There could possibly be many more who will come. I'm definitely expecting more than 40 people to come to this. We've reached out to Texas, and we're reaching out to all the other states in our region as well as across our whole state. We are expecting that this will have a huge turnout. It's only been two days and the number of confirmed guests keeps growing, so I'd definitely look into attending this tournament.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Stream?

we should get a stream for this

We have messaged "VGbootcamp" about Streaming but have yet to hear back from them. If not we have other people in state who would be interested in covering it.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Dammmmm if M2K comes, that'd be so sick. It would attract a lot of players without a doubt. Especially if his name was thrown in the title. And what Sudai said, the venue fee being more than the event fee sounds a bit crazy.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
The idea behind the event fees being small is affordability. Since there will be many other things to spend money on besides the venue fee (like booths and other tournaments), it was thought to be a good idea to keep the event fees relatively small. However, we could just as easily bump it up to $10 per tournament or make it $15 like Brawl.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
This still needs some explanation.
The 10% is going towards funding to make the next smashcon (this winter) a weekend event. We don't make nearly enough at smashcon right now to get funds for something like that.

Sorry we didn't explain that in the OP.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
The idea behind the event fees being small is affordability. Since there will be many other things to spend money on besides the venue fee (like booths and other tournaments), it was thought to be a good idea to keep the event fees relatively small. However, we could just as easily bump it up to $10 per tournament or make it $15 like Brawl.
I understand that you guys are trying to make whatever profit you can, but I personally feel the bigger picture here is to have an awesome succesful tournament. Louisiana needs to be on the map for good tournaments before our scene dies. I have never played OOS before nor have I really palyed anyone from OOS. I would deeply like to have a lot of different players at this tourney. If anything, make the smash events $10 at the least. Pleasee, and thanks lol

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I understand that you guys are trying to make whatever profit you can, but I personally feel the bigger picture here is to have an awesome succesful tournament. Louisiana needs to be on the map for good tournaments before our scene dies. I have never played OOS before nor have I really palyed anyone from OOS. I would deeply like to have a lot of different players at this tourney. If anything, make the smash events $10 at the least. Pleasee, and thanks lol
I've run it by Erick and it's confirmed: All other tournaments will be $10, Brawl remains at $15. Thank you for bearing with us.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Additions

Street Fighter 4 and Mortal Kombat are being added to the schedule. We are talking over the last few additions and where we should place other pot money possibly.

Attempting to hire FocusFire the streaming group as well as VGbootcamp still.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart

It'll be one on one best 2 of 3 and the circuits will advance slowly. First round mushroom cup next opponent flower and so on.

Schedule Update

12-Open
1:00-N64 singles
1:30-Melee Singles
2:00-Tasol Brawl Tournament/SSF4:AE & MK9
3:00-Project M
4:00-UMvC3/Skull Girls
5:30-Thirty Minute Lunch Break
6:00-Mario Kart Wii
10:00-Closing Time

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
That's a lot of events for just a one day tourney. Sure there will be time?

I'll be there for Melee, Project M, Mortal Kombat, and Skull Girls.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Hey guys, I'm gonna ask some of the Memphis, TN players if they'd be interested in this. Feasible drive so would be cool to come and play with your scene.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
That's a lot of events for just a one day tourney. Sure there will be time?

I'll be there for Melee, Project M, Mortal Kombat, and Skull Girls.
We're stocking up on assistant TO's for Smashcon to ensure smooth sailing for each tournament. In the future we are also going to push for a weekend event. We aim to have the next Smashcon, which is going to be this winter, to be a weekend event.

Hey guys, I'm gonna ask some of the Memphis, TN players if they'd be interested in this. Feasible drive so would be cool to come and play with your scene.
That's great! I hope to see you and whoever else you can manage to bring to the tournament. :)

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Interesting, it's on a Sunday, not a Saturday. Hmm... it's literally the day after one of our tournaments, however, I have to go to Auburn for the Smiths Station tournament, and Auburn is a hell of a lot closer than Huntsville to New Orleans. I'm going to talk to AL about being bosses and having a smash road trip (i.e.- going to SSS then turning around and going to TASOL 2012). It's not for the faint of heart.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I don't know why they haven't changed this in the title, but if you look in the OP, the venue is actually in Slidell, not New Orleans, so your trip will be a little shorter.

BSP

Smash Legend
I noticed that there's no rulesets posted. If this is a road to WHOBO, which will be MK banned, will this be MK banned too?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I noticed that there's no rulesets posted. If this is a road to WHOBO, which will be MK banned, will this be MK banned too?
I actually starting to think about that today. In all probability we will have it as a MK banned tournament. Other than WHOBO being MK banned, I'd also want to give more people a fighting chance than hosting a tournament that is just dominated by MK. I will have the ruleset for Brawl up by tonight. I also told Erick it would be a wise choice to have the rulesets for all the other tournaments decided on and posted soon.

@Jnig- I had noticed that shortly after the thread was made and said something about it but apparently "people" know where New Orleans is and not Slidell and those who don't don't have enough common sense to google it to see where it is.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Smashcon: Summer Edition Brawl Ruleset

Here's the ruleset we will be using for Smashcon. I think it will work out just fine. Now we just need to add it to the OP.

[COLLAPSE="Brawl Ruleset for Smashcon"]General Info:
-8 minutes, 3 stocks
-All items off
-Metaknight is banned
-Matches are played best 2/3 games, grande finals are 3 sets of best 3/5 games*
*Note: Games and sets played for Grand Finals are subject to change if time is short
-Stage striking or agreeing on a stage is permitted
-Winner of game bans stage, loser picks stage to play on next
-Conduct and courtesy rules from The Unity Ruleset still apply
-TO powers and rights from The Unity Ruleset still apply

Stages:
Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Halberd[/COLLAPSE]

Bomber7

Smash Hero
MK banned? Welp go ahead and forget about M2K now.
If M2K doesn't like the MK banned tournament, that's fine. He can still come for any other tournament. He could probably win money in another tournament if he chooses not to partake in Brawl. :)

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
N64 Ruleset

[COLLAPSE="N64 Smashcon Ruleset"]Best 2 of 3
5 stock
No items

Neutral Stages

Dreamland
Hyrule
Congo

First match

Hyrule (always)