• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Red Dozer Hideout: The Jill Dozer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Moderator Edit: Thread is now owned by Cobalsh, replacing GiantBreadbug.

READ THIS OR ELSE YOU MIGHT BE SUPER CONFUSED.

Jill Dozer is the protagonist of the Game-Freak developed Drill Dozer for the Gameboy Advance, and this is the thread for those folks who like her. With only one game under her belt and slim hope for a sequel, some might scoff at her viability. But those fools will surely see the light when the power of the titular Drill Dozer is employed! The machine is as alive as Jill, making the two a veritable dynamic duo.

Jill's moves revolve (pun definitely intended) around her vehicular weapon, the Drill Dozer. The drill separates into halves for bludgeoning foes, and, of course, it spins for powerful moves. The moveset below is built with the idea of Jill being very heavy for her size (because of the heavy Drill Dozer), but surprisingly nimble for a character of her weight. For the sake of brevity, the separated, two-piece drill will be referred to by its "bits." Be careful to read the terminology correctly, as some attacks involve rotating the drill (like a regular drill), and some involve the drill spinning all the way around the body of the Dozer. Her Specials prove verrrrry useful for recovery, with three of four Special moves having recovery applications.

Moveset

Stats and Miscellaneous Stuff
Height: Small (Olimarish)
Weight: Med-Heavy (Linkish)
Speed: Medium (Marioish)
Jumps: 2
Crawl: No
Wall Cling: Yes
Wall Jump: Yes
Stage Entrance: Drills up through the ground and strikes a pose.
Character Select Screen Sound: Jill gives a quick "Whoo!" and the Drill Dozer lets loose a whir.
Victory Pose 1: Jill sits atop Drill Dozer (not inside) and the two of them wave to the players.
Victory Pose 2: Jill stands beside Drill Dozer and the two high five while they jump in the air.
Victory Pose 3: Jill works on Drill Dozer using a wrench, occasionally stopping to wipe her forehead.
Losing Pose: Jill stands outside and leans against Drill Dozer, and the two of them clap for the victor(s).
Idle Stance Quirk: Jill gets a surprised expression on her face as Drill Dozer sputters and rattles for a moment.
Neutral Taunt: Jill hangs over the back of Drill Dozer and bangs on it with a wrench.
Side Taunt: The two bits spin and rotate around Drill Dozer, meeting back at the front and revving up and spinning.
Down Taunt: Jill pumps her fist in the air, shouting "Ha haaaa!" as the drill spins.
Shields: For all shields, Jill withdraws into Drill Dozer completely.

Special Technique - Drill Digging
In Drill Dozer, Jill can use the drill to burrow through certain walls and ceilings. This technique carries over to Smash Bros., albeit with slightly different execution. All of Jill's Specials trigger this ability in some way. If Jill uses a move that triggers this technique, Drill Dozer's drill will be planted into a ceiling, wall, or floor. The player has a few seconds to give a series of inputs (this makes the technique more challenging to use to balance it). Within the allotted time frame, the player must input either >B or <B. Then, the player must input <B or >B (opposite of the first input), and again >B or <B (the original input) for a total of 3 alternating Side Bs. It isn't as simple as that, though. The inputs will be cued, with players having to look for the Drill to shine red to signal the next input. The trademark "Gear Up" noise will play, but the visual clue will be obvious enough so that you don't have to strain your ears to hear the cue. When the series of inputs is successfully completed, Jill will shoot quickly straight through the stage, wall, etc. in a straight line and pop out the other side, launching foes that are unfortunate enough to be in that spot. If you're quick enough, you can change her trajectory so that she can pop out in another spot. Jill won't be visible while she's underground, but a "rustling dirt" animation will be present so you can track Jill's trajectory. This can be used on the bottom of stages for crazy recovery options. It's not crazy to see this technique as cheap, which is why I tried to make it as *reasonably* difficult as possible. Plus, if you fail in giving the correct inputs, Jill falls into a helpless state, making the technique risky for recovery. If you have trouble grasping how this technique works, look up some Drill Dozer videos on YouTube (I'll add some at a later date).

Standard Attacks (Damage Amounts Unspecified)
A Combo:
Jill swipes with the right bit, the left bit, then combines the two and spins the drill in front of her.
Dash Attack: Jill lunges forward while spinning her drill in front of her.
Forward Tilt: Jill plants each bit in the ground on either side of Drill Dozer, then kicks forward with its feet.
Back Tilt: Jill withdraws into Drill Dozer, rocking backward 180 degrees and whacking foes with her drill.
Up Tilt: Jill pokes upward twice, once with each bit.
Down Tilt: Jill uses Drill Dozer's bits like trowels, sweeping low in front of her then lifting foes up.
Forward Smash: Jill charges Drill Dozer's drill and it shoots forward a bit while spinning.
Up Smash: Jill jumps up out of Drill Dozer and bashes foes with her head.
Down Smash: Jill plants Drill Dozer's drill into the ground (with her face down) while charging. When she lets loose, the drill stays planted, spinning Jill and Drill Dozer around while she hangs out of the Dozer forward and its feet extend.

Aerial Attacks (Damage Amounts Unspecified)
Neutral Aerial:
Jill spins around extending Drill Dozer's bits (T-shaped body position) while tilting diagonally slightly.
Forward Aerial: A double-hit move, Jill kicks with Drill Dozer's foot, then rotates the drill around to smack the foe.
Back Aerial: Jill kicks back with both of Drill Dozer's feet.
Up Aerial: Jill claps the drill bits together above her head.
Down Aerial: Drill Dozer's drill retracts its legs, pulls in its bits tight, and slams straight down, leaving Jill in the air. Jill follows after (with Super Armor), dealing minimal damage. The real strike in this move is delivered by Drill Dozer itself.

Grab and Throws
Grab:
Jill pinches the target together between the drill bits.
Pummel: Jill squeezes the held foe between the drill bits.
Forward Throw: Jill spins the drill, spinning the held foe, and tossing them forward.
Backward Throw: Jill flips backward, smacking the held foe off the ground and sending them flying.
Up Throw: Jill tosses the foe up, then catches them on the tip of Drill Dozer's drill, scoring repeated hits and sending the foe flying.
Down Throw: Drill Dozer sits on the held foe and spins its gear, and the foe is sent flying forward.

Special Moves
Neutral Special - Gear Shift: This is Jill's all in one move! If you've played Drill Dozer on the GBA, then you know the source of its inspiration. Jill can walk around and jump while holding B, as well as use directional inputs to aim her drill. This gives her full 360 control of the drill as long as the B button is held. When the B button is pressed and held, Jill begins spinning the drill in front of her at low speed (1st Gear). If you catch a foe in this move, they will be drawn in toward you, taking a bit of damage. Once you have a foe in your grasp, if you tap B quickly, Drill Dozer will shift into 2nd Gear, doing even more damage and spinning even faster. Once more, and you'll reach 3rd Gear, doing crazy damage. Drill Dozer will launch the target and send them flying after a few seconds in 3rd Gear (to avoid cheaply trapping foes in 3rd Gear). If you land with the drill facing down or walk into a wall while in 1st Gear, this move can be used to Drill Dig.

Side Special - Drill Blast: Jill charges, then fires, Drill Dozer's drill (charge cannot be saved). The trajectory of the Drill can be altered slightly, and the distance depends on the charge. A small blast also occurs at the front of Drill Dozer when the drill blasts off. If the drill meets a target or a solid surface, it will stick and Jill and Drill Dozer will zip to and reunite with the drill. If the target is a foe, the drill will spin doing damage while Jill and Drill Dozer are brought to its location. If the drill connects with a surface, this move can be used to Drill Dig. If the move misses, the drill returns to Jill like a boomerang.

Down Special - Drill Burrow: This technique is a bit tricky, in that it has the same basic concept behind it as all other Drill Dig moves, but its outcome is unique. When this move is initiated, Jill will enter a stance and point her drill down at the ground in front of her for a moment. During this stance, players must do the alternating >/< B input discussed in the Drill Dig description. If successful, Jill will burrow into the ground, not shoot out the other side of the ground. The familiar rustling dirt animation as well as a glowing red dot will be used to keep track of Jill underground. Jill can not travel vertically, only horizontally, when using this move (she stays just below the surface of the playing field). She moves with the same speed as she does above ground, making this move very dangerous for foes who aren't paying attention to Jill's location. Pressing A when under ground will cause Jill to poke the drill out of the ground just enough to attack someone, whereas pressing any B input causes her to shoot out of the ground, spinning her drill and doing damage/knockback. If Jill moves past the edge of a stage while underground, she will automatically pop out of the ground and off the side of the stage (in non-helpless state). If this move is used in the air, Jill will shoot straight down and plant her drill in the ground, which is the cue for the Drill Dig inputs.

Up Special - Drill Rise: Jill fans Drill Dozer's bits outward and spins, rising upward with a small firey vortex surrounding her. As the move ends, the bits come together to form the complete drill. If the move connects with a surface at the end (when the drill is whole), Drill Dig will be initiated. There is some horizontal control on the ascent. On the ground this move can be used in rapid succession (but with no Drill Dig effect).

Final Smash - Red Diamond Drill Dozer
This move takes its inspiration from the sacred stone that Jill's mother gave her before she passed away. Jill pulls out the Red Diamond and places it into a compartment on Drill Dozer. Drill Dozer then grows immensly (to the size of Bowser) and begins fuming, glowing red, and steaming. For a limited time, Jill pilots the superpowerful Drill Dozer. All of Jill's moves remain the same, but with one noticeable enhancement. All Drill Dig moves require only one input to begin digging: B. So, when Red Diamond Drill Dozer's drill is planted into a surface, the player must only press B to initiate Drill Dig. A selection of RDDD's moves have fire properties, and many of them send shockwaves through the ground. Many of Jill's drilling moves can entrap multiple foes while in RDDD form.

Dozers
sobreviviente
gothrax
GiantBreadbug
Keybladeguy
HeroG
Kikwi-Kiwi
Cobalsh

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm having some trouble seeing it but maybe if I find some gameplay videos it'll make sense. I've heard a lot of praise for the game.

jigglover

Smash Lord
She only has a thread due to being an assist trophy. I don't see a thread for Kat and Ana or Nintendog but yet I find this one...

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
While I am too lazy to update the OP, allow me to counter your passive agressive attempt at shooting down a character:

Jill has this thread for being a strong protagonist in a great original series that happens to be a cult classic game on the Game Boy Advance. She has this thread because she has a unique appearance and the potential for a novel playstyle not yet seen in Smash Bros. (i.e. riding a freaking Drill Dozer). Unlike Nintendogs, she has "combat potential" (a phrase I don't like to use). Kat and Ana are secondary characters to a franchise that many feel has enough representation right now (I'm not one of them, but still).

Let's summarize this since reading paragraphs may not be your strong suit:

- Jill is the star of her game. She's the PROTAGONIST.

- Jill's character is rooted in a unique gameplay hook.

- Drill Dozer was a cult classic, and for good reason; it was a great game.

- Comparing her to ATs like Nintendogs and Kat & Ana is apples to oranges.

So yeah, maybe educate yourself a bit before coming in here and sh*tting all over a character just because you lack a certain understanding.

Sorry if I'm appearing hostile, but I'm not really too understanding of people who just vomit their thoughts out, no matter how ill-informed.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Woah! Cease fire! Those reasons aren't very good for a playable appearance, I mean Muddy Mole has all of those qualities plus more so she's already lost in that respect. (I actually support Muddy, that was a compliment for him).

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Well since I don't know your angle, I'm going to go ahead and say you're... silly?

I think that's the polite word.

Anyways, those reasons I listed are pretty much why most every character in Smash Bros. to date has been included (being stars or big characters in popular/well-received games).

I'm not saying that Jill is any better than Muddy Mole (even though I like her more), but you're going to convince nobody that one is objectively more or less better for a playable appearance.

Unless you're one of those people who thinks that what they like is better than what other people like, and you twist and distort logic until your preference becomes irrefutable fact. In that case, I have nothing to say to you.

But to prevent a pointless argument, I'll just pretend your post said "I like other characters more than Jill from Drill Dozer, and thus do not support her inclusion in Super Smash Bros. 4 as much as these aforementioned characters."

There, now you don't sound silly.

D

Deleted member

I would use the term "foolish".

Then again, it's my term. DO NOT STEAL. :troll:

jigglover

Smash Lord
How about I put it this way, your previous post sounded very hostile, so I told you to 'cease fire', then I went on to say that characters like Muddy Mole have all of the qualities you listed as well as more. There, what's bad about that?

D

Deleted member

Your first post didn't sound too friendly either.
It was pretty much an attack on Jill claiming that the only reason she has a thread is because she's an Assist Trophy (as if she had no other merits), and going off as though it's shocking to see a thread for her, but not for Kat & Ana or a Nintendog (when Sakurai already said characters like the Nintendog will not be playable).

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well you've got to admit, she doesn't have many, but anywho, it seems as if I've been taken the wrong way on this thread, and I may have come across as so..

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did somebody say Mudd...

Never mind...

jigglover

Smash Lord
Did somebody say Mudd...

Never mind...
Lol, that was actually a shout-out to you, as in, come and help me say that Muddy has a bigger chance than the giant drill.

@Golden, I said you've got to admit, and you said I don't have to admit anything. This is being difficult...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Comparing Muddy to Drill Dozer is comparing Apples to Oranges. You're comparing a retro character to a character that could get in based on other criteria.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Jill. Mech users are always welcome.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Comparing Muddy to Drill Dozer is comparing Apples to Oranges. You're comparing a retro character to a character that could get in based on other criteria.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Jill. Mech users are always welcome.
They're both retro though, and Jill wouldn't be bad, Muddy would just be better.

D

Deleted member

...Muddy is from an old GB game, Jill is from a 2005/2006 GBA game.

Jill is not retro.

D

Deleted member

There are plenty of times where Nintendo releases games for a previous system while the newer one is still a little fresh for a couple years.
Aren't you aware that despite the 3DS being availalble, there are still some games being made for the DS?

jigglover

Smash Lord
There are plenty of times where Nintendo releases games for a previous system while the newer one is still a little fresh for a couple years.
Aren't you aware that despite the 3DS being availalble, there are still some games being made for the DS?
Being a pokemon fanatic I am, though the latest game I own for the game-boy is pokemon emerald, which I believe is 2003.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Emerald was 2005 or 2006 iirc, though.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Double post for a little bump to announce that the OP has finally been updated. That only took a whole afternoon.

Or, since I was the last to post in here, I could've edited my last post up there. I'm silly.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I'm not asking for concessions, man.

I'm just asking for people to think through things before they hyperbole everywhere and look silly. Present opinions in an intelligent, straightforward way is all I'm sayin'.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Time to get this show back on the road, I suppose.

Recently, Jill's character and use of the Drill Dozer has really grown on me. I think that her status as an Assist Trophy in Brawl at least lets us know that Sakurai is aware of the character. And, while being an Assist Trophy by no means increases her chances of becoming a fighter in SSB4, there were plenty of ATs who became ATs because they were such popular choices (Little Mac, Isaac, Samurai Goroh, Waluigi, Starfy...some other ones whose name(s) escape me...) As a matter of fact, I believe Sakurai actually commented on Waluigi's fanbase back at the Brawl Dojo. And a lot of those characters have gone on to become the opinionated favorites of many.

I plan on picking up a copy of Drill Dozer for myself sometime soon, if not just to see how capable she really is of becoming a Smash fighter.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
I support her! Her Game was so much fun! Even if she is unlikely. What if that mysterious soritabi thing gamefreak is doing is a Drill Dozer sequel :D I would be so happy i would scream!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I support her! Her Game was so much fun! Even if she is unlikely. What if that mysterious soritabi thing gamefreak is doing is a Drill Dozer sequel :D I would be so happy i would scream!
Gamefreak's mystery game has been revealed apparently. At least according to ONM. (didn't bother to look anywhere else)
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/52505/soriti-horse-is-game-freaks-new-3ds-game/

Make of it as you will.

Anyway I kinda like Jill even though I've never played her game before. But I'm cool with her becoming playable in smash. :)

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Gamefreak's mystery game has been revealed apparently. At least according to ONM. (didn't bother to look anywhere else)
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/52505/soriti-horse-is-game-freaks-new-3ds-game/

Make of it as you will.

Anyway I kinda like Jill even though I've never played her game before. But I'm cool with her becoming playable in smash. :)
Omg what a let down D: There better be Rapidash and Zebstrika in that game. I am so sad now :'(. Nintendo make up for this by putting Jill playable in SSB4 ;)

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Now under new management! Anyway, I'll add more stuff when I have more time, like arguments, color swaps and a support list!

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I love the character, i love the moveset potential, i dont like the game... but i support.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
I know doesn't really mean anything, and I'm sure there's more of them he hasn't shown...But since Jill wasn't showed off as one the Assist Trophies in the Direct that gives me a little hope that she might be playable.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I wish GameFreak would make something other than Pokémon and download-only games some day.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
C'mon people, get fired up! She's not disconfirmed yet, that practically means she's a playable character now! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom