• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters will be in Smash4

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Do we even have an idea of the size of the roster. I am worried that Smash will be a rush project to get out quick to boost sales of the Wii U and therefore may not have the expansion we all want. Sure, there will be new characters and even new third parties at least from Namco but will there be an ambitious roster for this series? Remember all the time that was afforded to Sakurai for Brawl and we didn't get near the results we wanted from the game.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I think its safe to assume 5 columns. I'm not sure how many rows though?

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I say 54 characters. In other words, 50 slots, + Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon, Zero Suit Samus, and Sheik.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Although I would be totally cool with a roster of 8. The inclusion of Bandai Namco makes me think that they want to get as much help as possible to make this smash bros the biggest yet.
We might see them take it all the way up to 50. But I can't even think of that many nintendo characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hypothetically speaking, it would be roughly around 50 characters.

Brawl's roster had 35 slots in the roster and 39 characters. Presuming we have 15 newcomers and 5 scrapped veterans, that would be about 45 slots and about 50 characters (including a newcomer with an alternative form). This is of course not counting the potential of DLC, but that's a different topic.

DilowcsNollsnn

Smash Rookie
I believe what will happen is basically a new column and a new row (making 50 in total, 49 not counting the "RANDOM" slot) so most likely when adding in ZSS, Sheik, and Pokemon Trainer's 3 pokemon that is 53 characters in total.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok thanks, I am worried we are going to get shorted. I do think Mewtwo and Roy at least should be brought back.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I expect 46 slots...counting transformations, which Sakurai does, that adds up to a total of 50.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
around 50, giving Brawl's 35 (39 counting transformations), it's likely we get close to 50 or surpass it by 1 to 5 characters.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
50 is about what im expecting..... but wouldn't it just be so awesome if they got 64 *v*

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
I honestly hope the MINIMUM is about 50. I know we should, could, and would LOVE to have more.

Capcom has had plenty of experience helping the balance of a plethora of characters at once.

Regardless: no matter how many there are, there will always exist a tier list and little incentive to go below the maybe 15th character in any tier list.

My hope would be around 62

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
If you don't count Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, or any other group of four characters, then yes, Brawl had 35 characters.

Being generous, I'd say they would add 6 characters, bringing us up to 45, or 37 by snipper's logic.

But I don't get WHY.

In Brawl, if you removed:

Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Link, Captain Falcon, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Mario, and Lucas or 9 of what? 39 characters. AKA a little under 1/4 of the entire cast. You STILL wouldn't effect one major tournament.

Fighting games are always dominated by the absolute top tier, and middle tier to a lesser degree. Whether you have 12 characters and only 4 tournament viable ones or 35 characters and 8 viable ones: the top always matters most. So why not exponentially expand?

I'd rather have 100 Super Smash Brother characters with 25 tournament viable choices, 20 okay choices, and 55 **** tier characters that covers a bunch of different game characters that we'd love to see than 50 characters, 15 of them tourny ready, 5 more viable, and 30 mleh.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
The all-around number thrown around is ~50. Very realistic.

My guess
hope
is 64. :)

That's VERY easy to fill up without starting to need obscure/a lot of 3rd party characters.

My personal roster is 64. :p (As an ode to the Nintendo 64! The series debut!)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Is there a link to the statement where Sakurai says 50? I can believe it but I am just curious to see the link.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
If you removed Metaknight, Falco, Marth, and Lucario, there would be 35 characters in Brawl.
What about all that was Nonsensical. Stop being condescending.

There were 39 character in SSBB.

Of those 39 Characters, arguably only about half the cast had real showing in any major tournament.

Which means: expanding to greater numbers, so long as there aren't anyone grossly overpowered, wouldn't ruin Tournament balance.

Which is why I extended my point and said I would rather have 100 SSB4 Characters, and only 20% of them be Tournament viable than have 50 with maybe 17 characters viable.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What? No "OVER 9000" joke yet? Internet, I am dissapoint.

In all seriousness, though, 50-60 sounds about right.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
There were 39 character in SSBB.

Of those 39 Characters, arguably only about half the cast had real showing in any major tournament.

Which means: expanding to greater numbers, so long as there aren't anyone grossly overpowered, wouldn't ruin Tournament balance.

Which is why I extended my point and said I would rather have 100 SSB4 Characters, and only 20% of them be Tournament viable than have 50 with maybe 17 characters viable.
Then I'll just assume you meant to quote someone else. You quoted my post, about there being 39 characters, not 35, about some irrelevant things that have nothing to do with how many characters are in the game.

I apologise if it seems like I have no idea wtf you're talking about, but you seem to be arguing facts with me when I never even started an argument about those facts in the first place. Like yeah, I would also like a lot of characters...?? What does that have anything to do with what I said?

If you don't count Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, or any other group of four characters, then yes, Brawl had 35 characters.

Being generous, I'd say they would add 6 characters, bringing us up to 45, or 37 by snipper's logic.
I never even mention balance anywhere in my post.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
^

This is what I "didn't get why" about. I didn't get why were settling with around 45 characters, and then I added my feelings towards the numbers.

Not contradicting, not arguing, I'm adding and questioning.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
45 characters has nothing to do with balance, it has to do with expectations.

Smash 64 added 12 characters
Melee added 14 or 13 by snipper logic
Brawl added 16 or 13 by snipper logic, and removed 5, bringing the roster up by 13, or 10 by snipper logic.

Like, following the trend, I could see getting the roster up by 12, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it without the game being released past 2017 (Which I would be fine with if it isn't horrible).

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
45 characters has nothing to do with balance, it has to do with expectations.
Okay I'm going to try to be super super clear like I was in the last thread :v

One expects the number of SSB4 characters based on certain criteria. Balance is one of them. Time is another. While we extrapolated that only 45 characters because of past trends in adding characters, I believe we should shift our expectations to greater numbers given new circumstances. Namely, who's involved in making this game this time around.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
It just seems like you have this personal beef with me and think I don't want more characters when that is nowhere near the case colon v.
I don't have any beef with you. It's just frustrating for me that were have such large miscommunication when I pride myself on great writing =c

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Well lets change subject then, onto the 3DS title. I imagine a 26 character roster, the same size as Melee's but with different characters, would work well. I'd say most should be veterans, but that it shouldn't be without newcomers, especially to emphasise the idea that the 3DS version could be about "Smashing with your favourite characters, ON THE GO!"

And I'm also a pretty vocal supporter of 3DS "exclusive" characters, that could be unlocked in the WiiU game by synching the two together- that is to say, the characters are on the WiiU game, but are unlocked solely through the connectivity.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Hey, we might not get many, Sakurai was saying what we have now is apparently the highest he can go while having everything balanced and distinct.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Some guy on Gamefaqs actually analyzed that quote. He interpreted "what we have now being the highest he can go" as Sakurai referring to the currently planned SSB4 roster, rather than Brawl's roster of 39.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
Some guy on Gamefaqs actually analyzed that quote. He interpreted "what we have now being the highest he can go" as Sakurai referring to the currently planned SSB4 roster, rather than Brawl's roster of 39.
Could we get some sources up in here please?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh, well if that is true, I sincerely apologize.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
That guy may have wasted his time as there could be a translation issue in that quote as it doesn't read very clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom