• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters will be in Smash4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Depends on how Sakurai goes. If Sakurai wants to beef up the roster, between 40 or 50. However, he talked about not wanting to have a huge roster so he could go about restructuring the previous roster entirely by throwing out old characters and replacing them with new characters while adding 5-6 characters to the Brawl roster.

I'm hoping between 40-50. Not too big but enough variety. I hate rosters that characters just become lost.

:phone:

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
Sakurai once mentioned that if there were to be 50 characters, that would be enough, so this means 50 characters would be appearing in the New Smash Bros.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
OVER 9000!!! LOL no Probably 40-50. 45? Last game had 35/39, it s only fair to ask for 10 new characters seeing how long it will take them to finish the game. And I want my Mewtwo back!

Zaxis

Smash Cadet
Im seeing 40 - 45 but to include transfomation 44 - 49

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
/\ Not necessarily, to me it looks like he said it's a maximum of 50, not that there will be 50 exactly.
Depends. He could be setting a minimum if he's saying it's enough characters for a new roster. He didn't say it was too much. He could be saying he's not going lower than 50 but not much higher either. Seeing as he sees the roster as 39 characters. While he said he wouldn't focus too much on adding characters when you look at the size of the Brawl roster adding 10 characters doesn't at all look like it's going overboard.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
Depends on how Sakurai goes. If Sakurai wants to beef up the roster, between 40 or 50. However, he talked about not wanting to have a huge roster so he could go about restructuring the previous roster entirely by throwing out old characters and replacing them with new characters while adding 5-6 characters to the Brawl roster.

I'm hoping between 40-50. Not too big but enough variety. I hate rosters that characters just become lost.

If your refering to the quote I'm thinking of I think he was saying he didn't have wanna have a 50 characters with 1/3 or 1/4 being third party. So I do think the roster will be 45-50 and I'm hoping for 45

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
If your refering to the quote I'm thinking of I think he was saying he didn't have wanna have a 50 characters with 1/3 or 1/4 being third party. So I do think the roster will be 45-50 and I'm hoping for 45
50 characters is what's most likely right now, Sakurai already stated that he "reached the limit" with Brawl's roster. Which i personally think is nonsense, because Brawl had space wasters such as Virtual Console demos. If they just drop the unecessary stuff like that, i think there will be room for more than 50 characters. Not to mention Wii U uses discs that are able to store data of 25GB. Where as Wii discs could only hold up to 4.7 GB (8.9 GB with Dual Layer)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I originally posted that I thought 50-60 would be appropriate, but I've thought about it and I think that 40-50 is probably more accurate.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I see the roster being between 40 and 50. I have two scenarios that i put together in the roster maker.

Basically the characters on the side could be swapped with other characters in the roster. It totals out at 49 spots taken up, with random taking up the 50th. The total character amount is 54. I personally see this as a decent roster. That could be because i made it and it has a majority of characters i would like to see though lol.

Next, i have my conservative roster.

This one totals at 44 characters and a random spot. With transformations, it totals to 49. This roster also has most characters i would like to see, while including popular inclusions. Are these rosters decent? Leave feedback! I'm totally open to criticism

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing around the 50-ish range. You can't make a new SSB game without adding a decent amount of characters.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
The 50 range sounds about right for the roster.

DLC is something I support IF its done right the first time. No bugs or glitches, and its openly compatible with adding new DLC (being able to use DLC online with people that dont have that content without it messing up). DLC can be great potenial for Nintendo, it advertises characters, series, etc. Also if you play online with someone that has a DLC character or map, they could see it and think its super cool and want it for themselves.

BUT IT MUST BE DONE RIGHT.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
The 50 range sounds about right for the roster.

DLC is something I support IF its done right the first time. No bugs or glitches, and its openly compatible with adding new DLC (being able to use DLC online with people that dont have that content without it messing up). DLC can be great potenial for Nintendo, it advertises characters, series, etc. Also if you play online with someone that has a DLC character or map, they could see it and think its super cool and want it for themselves.

BUT IT MUST BE DONE RIGHT.
There's no doubt in my mind that Nintendo will do it right. They've already taken a stand against taken content out only to be sold later. So, there's no need to worry about characters being taken out just to be sold to us later. I doubt they'd go for On-Disc DLC, either.

I forgot about DLC, though. That can always work. Maybe there is a chance of some of the more unlikely characters getting in. That is if they even decide to do DLC. Not that there's any reason for them not to.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Personally I will be disappointed if Sm4sh doesn't surpass the number 50. I expect no cut at all, maybe Snake even if I don't want it to happen. All other characters deserve to return and have a nice chance. I can understand cutting clone characters like what happened after Melee, but if R.O.B. or Sonic, for example, will lose the spot, I will be disappointed. It wouldn't make sense.

So: 39 characters for 35 slots.
The Melee veteran can all return. I see Mewtwo and Roy as almost certain, getting to 41. Dr. Mario can easily be an alternate costume, same goes for Young Link. I'm not completely sure about Pichu, but it's probably the only way for him to be in Sm4sh. Toon Link also could become an alternate costume, or ex-mode or whatever. Anyway, I'd start with 39-41 characters returning / reappearing with only Snake cut, maybe.
So, newcomers: to get to 50 we'd only need 9 characters. I expect at least 13-15 newcomers (hoping more but I was really burned by Brawl so I'm keeping the expectations lower this time).
So, 50-55 characters. Less than 50 = complete disappointment. More than 55 = complete satisfaction.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i feel like upper 40s seems about right. returning melee characters im not really sold on. i really only see Roy and Mewtwo being truly considered for a return but personally i don't care if they come back or not. Mario, LOZ, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Metroid and Kid Icarus are the series currently represented that i feel stand the best chance of getting a new rep. 2 retro characters, 1 or 2 third party characters, and after that it's kind of a tossup for me as to how this will go.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
51 characters (including all transformations and shared slots) is still my number. Of course, the way I see it, the "total range" is 45-53, and the "likely range" is 48-52.
Here's why I think we'll get 51 playable characters.
Smash 64 had 12 playable characters.
Melee had 26 playable characters.
Brawl had 39 playable characters.
So, if I did the math right the last 3,587 times (that's a random #, don't worry!), :laugh: Melee had 14 more characters than Smash 64, and Brawl had 13 more characters than Melee.

Now, seeing as how there are 2 games being made, we got double the staff. We also have double the games, so there could be all kinds of crazy things. However, I don't see many character cuts, because of how "tight" things will be. Plus, on top of that, the roster is pretty "complete" as it is. Almost every character has been or is close to being "great" to play as in smash bros. Many of the clones have been steadily decloned (even though that isn't actually a word).

And on top of that, to prove my point I doubt we'll see many, if any cut characters, Sakurai and co. will likely transfer the playable character data from Brawl to Smash WiiU and 3DS. That means they won't make ALL the characters all over again like they did in Brawl. Instead, we will get some transfers, like what happened with Smash 64. This is literally easier than adding clones. All the staff at Namco Bandai has to do is update their models, maybe give the characters a few new animations, give a select few characters a new move or two, balance them with the rest of roster, and then then test them out. That's it.

With that in mind, they'll likely re-add Mewtwo (who could have some data transferred he has in Melee and Brawl) and possibly even Roy (although that is doubtful). Then, from there, I imagine 10-13 new characters will be built from scratch. Seeing as how Sakurai is content with taking his sweet time (which means a better game for us), and how Nintendo is fine with that, and willing to fund these 2 projects in the long run, I see this roster prediction being true.

However, that doesn't account for DLC characters. If there's 1 or 2 characters that couldn't make it into the final game, but are in DLC, fine. That's foreseeable, albeit not all that likely. But if there are any more DLC "incomplete" characters than that, or newly crafted DLC characters that weren't previously planned, and all debts are off. Although, to be quite honest, I would be all for that, wallet and all.

Edit: Also, 100th post on this thread! YESSSS!!!

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
I think maybe around 50. But I hope not, because this is getting ridiculous, there will be too many characters to even find my main! I want more choices, but I hope they don't over do it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Believe it or not, but 50-60 is actually a perfectly reasonable number for a fighting game in this time and age.

Also a bit of a fun fact: The game with the largest character roster in a fighting game is Tobal 2 for the Playstation. It has over 200 characters to choose from.

D

Deleted member

Perfectly reasonable except for the fact that Sakurai pretty much stated that new characters aren't the main priority.

Not that there won't be any; just that expecting a buttload of them will only set you up for disappointment.
Especially considering that it would be a repeat of people's expectations for Brawl (I mean really, nearly everyone believed there would be 50+ characters THEN).

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i love seeing these full blown fan rosters. it makes me feel like i can start picking a character haha. it just disappoints me that the real list isnt out yet :(

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So far, every Smash Brothers game has added more characters than the last

64 had 12
Melee added 13
Brawl added 15 (17 if you count Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon individually)

I expect around 14, but it could be even more. As for the roster siz, somewhere between 48-52 selectable.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Perfectly reasonable except for the fact that Sakurai pretty much stated that new characters aren't the main priority.

Not that there won't be any; just that expecting a buttload of them will only set you up for disappointment.
Especially considering that it would be a repeat of people's expectations for Brawl (I mean really, nearly everyone believed there would be 50+ characters THEN).
Yeah, Sakurai has said there will definitely be newcomers this time, but to expect a higher amount that what Brawl added is absurd.

There are two things to keep in mind:
1. Sakurai has thrown around the number 50 at least three times in relation to the size of Smash 4's roster.
2. Sakurai has stated that there is a finite amount of characters that are worthy enough to be made playable in Smash Bros.

Its on the second point, that I feel why Sakurai is pursuing a major overhaul for the Smash Bros. series. I felt that after Smash 4 that Sakurai would have to result to basically a reboot of the Smash Bros. series, due to the lack of well-known Nintendo characters left to add. However, I think Sakurai's may have deemed after Brawl that there were too few Nintendo all-stars left to warrant another "bigger and better" sequel which was the case with Melee and Brawl.

My expectations for the size of the roster for Smash 4 are 48-53 total playable characters, though I concede its quite possible for it be lower than that range (I strongly doubt though that there will be more than that though).

Just looking at the pool of newcomers for Smash 4 and comparing it to Melee and Brawl's pools, who is left that compares to the all-stars that Melee and Brawl added? The only one that comes to mind is Ridley. Every other character that seems to be popularly suggested is either a character who has been absent from their franchise for quite a while or have their franchise go into hiatus (K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Krystal), a cut Melee vetean (Mewtwo, Roy), a new flavor of the month (Zoroark, Genesect, Chrom, Ghirahim), or negligible series that dont have the sales or influence of any series already with playable characters in Smash Bros. (Sin & Punishment, Golden Sun, Starfy, Xenoblade), or auxiliary side characters (Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Krystal, Waddle Dee).

There are hardly any characters left that were on the level as Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Ganondorf, Marth, Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Olimar, and possible Meta Knight. I would say outside of Ridley, the closest characters to this would probably be Little Mac, Mii, and maybe Palutena. Takamaru is the obvious pick for a retro revival, specially in light of his Nintendoland mini-game and playable role in Samurai Warriors 3.

Its for this reason, that Sakura probably decided now was the best time to go for a major revamp of the Smash franchise in terms of gameplay.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
After I re-read the articles and interviews, so it seem that we will expect 36-40 characters for SSB4.

D

Deleted member

Hey said:
Masahiro Sakurai from HAL Laboratory, producer of Kirby and Smash Bros. series had an hour of keynote speech at CEDEC developer conference, he mentioned that in the upcoming Smash Bros title, all characters will have new skills, there are many new characters, and it is fun to work on these features.
I'm not sure if this is just someone's interpretation, but if Sakurai truly did mention the bold, then I think we can put this less than five newcomers fear to rest. Not saying we'll be getting 60+ characters, but I'd be surprised if we got less than ten newcomers.

Source

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this is just someone's interpretation, but if Sakurai truly did mention the bold, then I think we can put this less than five newcomers fear to rest. Not saying we'll be getting 60+ characters, but I'd be surprised if we got less than ten newcomers.

Source
It's bad translation, which posted by Magic Box.

Real Translation is

“It’s fun making new skills for new characters.”

D

Deleted member

@IntelliHealth1: Thought I saw that, but wanted to make sure. Disregard that translation.

Although it would be amazing to have like, 500 characters, I think that 50 is highly likely, and leaves room for an SSB5 and/or DLC

I don't think we're going to see much expansion after SSB4. While I'm not one of those people who think we'll be dealing with a sub-45 character roster (I have a higher expectations than most), I don't think the franchise will continue to expand in number. I think whatever we get this game will be roughly the same amount we get in SSB5 (If Smash 5 doesn't considerably reduce the roster).

jigglover

Smash Lord
That is awesome! This means that people saying "we can't get more than 10 newcomers!" seem to be wrong. Not fact, but it's a step in the right direction!

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, the quote was badly translated, so the "many new characters" is merely bad interpretation.

I still believe we will get at least ten newcomers with hopefully no cuts. When Sakurai mentioned "we've probably already reached the limit", he was probably referring to SSB4's roster, not Brawl's roster. There are still over fifteen plausible candidates left and that is even higher if considering ones with an outside shot. I think there will be minimal to no cutting and that the massive cutting that does happen won't occur until SSB5 (by then, we would have exhaust all the important characters that Sakurai is going to use. There are still important characters left that haven't been added to Brawl, like Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Mii, Toad, and Little Mac (throw in Mega Man and Pac-Man if we're including third-parties)).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My guess: between 50 and 55. And I think it's likely there will probably be character cuts again. But probably less than we had from Melee to Brawl.

Some characters I think are pretty likely are: Little Mac, King K.Rool, Palutena, Chrom, Ridley, new Mario rep, new Pokemon rep, Mewtwo, Isaac / Matthew and Takamaru. And yes, outside of Little Mac and Mewtwo perhaps, none of these are nearly as iconic or 'needed' as newcomers as the likes of Bowser, Ganondorf, Diddy and Wario. So adding up these 10 characters to Brawl's roster of 39, makes 49 characters. Remove about 3 characters (half of what we lost from Melee-Brawl), which gives us 46. Add in about 5 characters we totally didn't see coming and we have 51. Then maybe one or two of the newcomers is also a dual character of sorts, so add in another 2, which makes 53. I do not really expect anything more to be honest. And really, having more than 12 newcomers this time around seems like a stretch to me.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I actually think it won't go up all that much. I think maybe 42 at the least.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
theres about 39 now right? in brawl that is. i feel like 50 might be pushing it but that might be the max. 45 seems like a good amount. im just worried about whos gonna be replaced..

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna say 45 as a minimum with a max of 52/53.
I hope there are no cuts, any newcomer doesn't have the weight of characters already in smash (with some arguments, but if they're in they have made a name for themselves already)
Just had the thought Sakurai had ssb4 planned long ago and planned to have many important characters still.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I own Warriors Orochi 3 for the xbox 360 (lots of storage space on a 360 guys, remember that), and that game boasts like 120+ characters..
that games not PVP but still, each character had its own type of uniqueness.

I think the character balancing in brawl wasn't bad, especially since it was only ONE person balancing like 39 characters. theres a TON of character suggestions out there thanks to people like us, and by a "ton" i mean more than 20 at the least.

heres the way i see it.

1. there will probably (but hopefully not) be 2-4 cuts at the most. at this point i personally believe that Lucario, Snake, PT, and Sonic are the ones more likely to be cut than the rest of the cast. sonic probably has the highest chances of staying, PT and lucario can at least be replaced by something similar to themselves. snake may not be with us in the next game, but im hoping thats not the case.

2. with that said, we're at around 36 characters left. adding 10-11 new characters seems like that standard for a game like SSB4. that puts us at 46-47 characters. and if ONE of those characters is a switching character like :sheikbrawl::zeldabrawl:, that thats around 47-48 characters.

3. if dlc does turn out to be something that ssb4 utilizes, then im going to say 2 more characters would be available.

put that all together, and i have an estimated 47-50 characters.

so... my guess is 47-50 :?:

ShinyLucario1000

Smash Rookie
I think that, unless they have an amazingly new and better rep from Gen 5, removing Lucario is somewhat pointless. I mean, why remove a popular, non-broken character with a less popular one. PT, I think would be the most likely, (unfortunately). We just got a brand new character in Brawl and we are going to throw him away in the next game? And what woul we replace him with? A Unova trainer that has Oshawatt Servine and Emboar? Once again, why replace a popular team of characters with a team of less popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom