• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Retro Fighter, Urban Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
would anyone else not mind seeing the fighter from urban champion in smash

he'd certainly be a cool inclusion in my opinion

move set ideas:

mine

b: heavy punch, deals strong knock back
b up: window girl, a window appears above him and the girl who showers you with confetti in the game helps the champion jump higher
b side: manhole frisbee, throws a man hole cover like a frisbee
b down: flowerpot drop, drops a flower pot straight down momentarily stunning foes

side smash: high kick
up smash: punches upwards
down smash: kicks in both directions one after the other

neutral air: circular kick
forward air: clenches fists together and swings them downwards in front of him
back air: elbows behind him
up air: claps arms together
down air: kicks the air below him

pummel: head butts them
forward throw: strikes with fists clenched together
back throw: throws and strikes with a high kick
down throw: throws opponent to the ground a strikes with heel of foot
up throw: throws up the punches with both fists one after the other

dash: tackles

final smash: the Police, the fighter stands acting innocent as a horde of police cars go past doing damage and launching opponents

bluepikmin11

Neutral-B: Heavy Punch: Urban Champion charges up a big punch to do big damage to the opponent. Unlike DK's Giant Punch, this punch requires you to hold the button to get at full charge.
Side-B: Flower Pot Throw: Urban Champion throws off a simple flower pot., the pot does pretty good knockback overall. The pot also breaks into many broken pieces that can be used to throw at opponents.
Up-B: Fire Hydrant: Urban Champion flicks off the hydrant lid to spout out water that makes the player glide for a few seconds, similar to R.O.B.'s. It also pushes opponents just like Mario's F.L.U.D.D.
Down-B: Manhole: Urban Champion steps on the ground to bring out a man hole to his hand. This can be used as a reflector, and if close to the opponent, you can stun the opponent for a long while so you are able to do the Heavy Punch.
Urban Champion Playstyle:
Urban Champion is basically a pretty slow average middleweight character, but there are advantages to him. Firstly he is accompanied by his manhole that can reflect projectiles and stun opponents if near. His flower pots that break into itty bit projectiles can be used to annoy the opponent, in a similar manner of Diddy Kong. His fire hydrant can also be used to push down opponents of the stage, making it a pretty safe move to have while recovering. Using these special moves can help you track and hit down your opponents real well.

series symbol: fist

pallet swaps:

supporters:
fogbadge
bluepikmin11
master rapier
stopman
keybladeguy

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Didn't Sakurai say pre-Melee that he was considered, but dropped due to not having many attacks?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Didn't Sakurai say pre-Melee that he was considered, but dropped due to not having many attacks?
Yes he did. He talked about him (and other retro NES characters) in the Ice Climbers' page on the Japanese Melee site.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Sm4sh as he is #22 on my wish list but I'll be able to sleep at night if he doesn't make it in.

And fogbadge, all your choices of movesets could easily go to normal A button attacks and shield so think of better special moves and I don't think a flower pot would be a good symbol to recognize the game (maybe a fist will do better). Also, it might help this topic if you post that Urban Champion was Nintendo's first ever fighting game that they made.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes he did. He talked about him (and other retro NES characters) in the Ice Climbers' page on the Japanese Melee site.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Sm4sh as he is #22 on my wish list but I'll be able to sleep at night if he doesn't make it in.

And fogbadge, all your choices of movesets could easily go to normal A button attacks and shield so think of better special moves and I don't think a flower pot would be a good symbol to recognize the game (maybe a fist will do better). Also, it might help this topic if you post that Urban Champion was Nintendo's first ever fighting game that they made.
well i did have an idea where he threw a man-hole cove but i figured that was a bit daft

and your right a fist makes more sense than a flower pot for the symbol

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Urban Champion is a great time killing game. Joy Mech Fight looks like a much later NES game. The graphics are too smooth and detailed to be an older NES game like Mario Bros. Zelda, or Urban Champion.

I don't see how Urban Champion couldn't get in because of lack of movesets when ice climbers had even less. Urban Champion would be another "made from stratch" deals like Captain Falcon and Fox but certainly has potential.

I'm thinking UC would be ganondorf size muscular thuggish type. He could use street weapons like brass knuckles, chains, knives, bottles, and even flower pots. This maybe a little too violent for Smash types but just throwing ideas.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok, you all seem to think my special moves are a bit basic i'll to come up with some thing a bit more creative, also if any of have move sets of your own i'll be happy to include them in the op

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Sakurai said he didn't add Urban Champion in Melee because he didn't think Urban Champion would be interesting.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think UC would be a very effiecient brawler. His moves look ugly but they get the job done.

Two moves I thought up for UC that I think would be cool.

Flowerpot throw:
He chucks a flowerpot that doesn't do knock back but stuns them and grows a flower on their head. If it hit the ground the flower stays there for a moment and acts as a trap and if someone run over it they get flowered.

Manhole Slam:
UC pulls out a manhole cover and slams it down on the ground. Getting his with the cover will do high percent damage (Maybe a cartoony flattening gag) but if you're near it then it will knock them up. From the air he can throw it downward to act as a downward throwing projectile.

I think there should be a power puch move but I don't know how to make it stand out from DK's or CF's power punch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think UC would be a very effiecient brawler. His moves look ugly but they get the job done.

Two moves I thought up for UC that I think would be cool.

Flowerpot throw:
He chucks a flowerpot that doesn't do knock back but stuns them and grows a flower on their head. If it hit the ground the flower stays there for a moment and acts as a trap and if someone run over it they get flowered.

Manhole Slam:
UC pulls out a manhole cover and slams it down on the ground. Getting his with the cover will do high percent damage (Maybe a cartoony flattening gag) but if you're near it then it will knock them up. From the air he can throw it downward to act as a downward throwing projectile.

I think there should be a power puch move but I don't know how to make it stand out from DK's or CF's power punch.
mind if i use those in the op, with full credit to yourself of course

D

Deleted member

I thought I would revive this as I had just found out that he was one of the Retro Reps that was consider for Smash Bros.

Start at 2:20. You'll also see other retro fighters that were consider.

Video Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3ciImvi3KCk
One of the many errors that DYKG has made in that video. They got their (incorrect) information from the same source that was already supplied in this thread by Wario Bros.
In which Sakurai was stating that he made a list of candidates of NES stars and went through a process of elimination to decide which one he'd include in Melee.
The four examples he gave on the Ice Climbers page were just four of the characters on the list, which (obviously) also included the Climbers, and theoretically also included the likes of Pit, Takamaru, Mach Rider, R.O.B., and Sukapon among other unmentioned NES stars.

The point he was making with the four examples he gave was that the Ice Climber had no such reasoning to cause them to be eliminated from the list (and ultimately were the ones chosen).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I still wouldn't mind this guy but I've been noticing on the internet that many seem to dislike this game a bunch. One thing people seem to forget is that this game was released before fighting games were taken seriously (aka before Street Fighter II existed). Yes, the game is severely lacking content but I enjoy it as a time waster.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Urban Champion was featured in NES Remix. I wonder if he'll make some sort of appearance in Smash. I really hope as an AT at least.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So has Baseball Player, Golfer, and Tennis Player. :troll:
I think Urban Champion would be cool, but what exactly would he bring? A gangster-like fighting style?

Only the golfer is an actual character. His name is Ossan and is a predecessor to Mario. The only other game he's been featured in (that I know of) is Captain Rainbow.

If you look at my post (number 12) I already gave a few possible special moves. As for general fighting style I'm thinking a dirty brawler with powerful punches, low kicks, headbutts, and elbows.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Heh, I have a soft spot for Urban Champion. :)

It started out as a horrible mistake for me, when I wanted to get River City Ransom, but somehow I got confused and bought THIS on VC instead.

But over the time, I've grown to appreciate this ancient fighting game, and I'd actually love to see it represented in SSB4 somehow. Wether it's a character, a double-assist trophy, or a stage.

Everything I had in mind for a moveset was pretty much covered already.
I had the idea for a counterattack where Urban Champion enters his "whistling" animation, and if he gets hit while whistling, a police car will drive through at full force, and knock the aggressor away, similar to how cars work in Onett.

But I think a Final Smash involving the police car would be much more effective.

As a stage, it would be the next Onett. Characters would fight on the sidewalk, but could also hop on the buildings and windows. Old ladies dropping flower pots from above, police cars driving through, destructible terrain, and manholes of death.
Maybe the Urban Champion characters could be duking it out, and players have to be careful not to get caught up on the crossfire of fists.

EDIT: I don't really like the OP character design chosen, so I'm providing examples of how they should look like. :D (I'd prefer if they were 3D renders of these)

Also... colors!
Blue, Green, Red, and... alternate red. That's four. :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, I think a car could be part of his moveset, it fits the gangster mood pretty well.

So so far here's my moveset:
Neutral-B: Heavy Punch: Urban Champion charges up a big punch to do big damage to the opponent. Unlike DK's Giant Punch, this punch requires you to hold the button to get at full charge.
Side-B: Flower Pot Throw: Urban Champion throws off a simple flower pot., the pot does pretty good knockback overall. The pot also breaks into many broken pieces that can be used to throw at opponents.
Up-B: Fire Hydrant: Urban Champion flicks off the hydrant lid to spout out water that makes the player glide for a few seconds, similar to R.O.B.'s. It also pushes opponents just like Mario's F.L.U.D.D.
Down-B: Manhole: Urban Champion steps on the ground to bring out a man hole to his hand. This can be used as a reflector, and if close to the opponent, you can stun the opponent for a long while so you are able to do the Heavy Punch.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really like the police car final smash. It could drive by and grab an opponent and then drive off the stage.

shinhed-echi is right that the game has a very smash like quality. I think its because its because you win by knocking your opponent off the screen.

Say what you will about the game but I find it a lot more fun than Ice Climbers. Stupid platform detection.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The Final Smash could involve lots of police cars, it would visualize the feeling of being chased by the cops very well.
Any ideas for his playstyle?
Also, the thread title could use some reinventing, so you can attract an audience to discuss here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it's great to see him getting some support and i thin i'll do a bit of an over hall on the op

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok got started on the changes i will do more tomorrow including adding more to the moveset and the supporter list

do let me know i you guys would like your move sets in the op as well

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Sure you could add my moveset to the OP, I'm only contributing here to the thread. ^_^
I might do a full on moveset soon. Let's make this guy interesting as possible.

Urban Champion Playstyle:
Urban Champion is basically a pretty slow average middleweight character, but there are advantages to him. Firstly he is accompanied by his manhole that can reflect projectiles and stun opponents if near. His flower pots that break into itty bit projectiles can be used to annoy the opponent, in a similar manner of Diddy Kong. His fire hydrant can also be used to push down opponents of the stage, making it a pretty safe move to have while recovering. Using these special moves can help you track and hit down your opponents real well.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Meh, I don't like the boxart one, it makes look like Stanley, which doesn't really suit him well.
Give him the design seen in gameplay, it's more iconic and more classic looking.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I was thinking of just other street items he could use though I feel like it would be more appropriate for a River City Ransom character or Double Dragons.

Trash cans: Can drop it on their head to make them unable to attack for a short time.
Chains: Gives him a little extended reach on an attack.
Pipes: Another melee item or can be thrown
Traffic Signs: Might not work internationally but whacking someone with a stop sign sound funny.

Another idea I had would be he could use an item from each of the building he fights in. For example he uses a book from the book store.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Urban Champion is one of the few characters I consider perfectly suited for either a playable or assist trophy role, and I'd enjoy seeing him take up either position. In the former scenario, his base moveset potential is limited, but it's not like the Ice Climbers had much to make use of. Urban Champ would be much the same as them, I suppose. Using his few "canon" abilities as a base (punching, manhole, etc.), he could then be given new moves that reflect his character. Anything associated with street brawling and thuggish combat would probably be fair game, aside from firearms. Crowbars, pipes, brass knuckles, and other objects and weapons already suggested would add to his "style" nicely. I can imagine a simple yet unique powerhouse character, making use of slow, powerful attacks to send foes out of the blast zone at low percentages, but also suffering from a small size and low weight for a character of his strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom