• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Retro Fighter, Urban Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Urban Champion might become my favorite playable character if the moves based on "street brawl is done right", I can easily imagine myself having good fun with him, using the fire hydrant to push opponents off stage. :awesome:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I have so many ideas for a stage, an AT and even a Boss, but actually, i never thought in what this guy could offer.
Maybe thats why i preffer to think in him as an early version of little mac, i simple have no idea what to do with him xD

Good to see some support, im curious of what you guys could think :p

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I already did a special moves moveset, I think most of his normal and smash attacks will indeed involving punching and kicking.
Should we go into more specific detail?

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
It would be interesting to see his stage in this game. It could be a slow scrolling stage and be retro looking like Melee's Mushroom Kingdom. The players fight in front of a building for a brief time consistent with Delfino Plaza.

However, if he appeared on screen either as playable or an assist, I would like his design to be based on his looks in game, but not as a flat 8bit character. I would like a full 3D character, but with a simplistic appearance

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Part of me wants him in for the LOL's and the other wouldn't want a character who debuted in the worst NES game in history in Super Smash Bros. :/

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Part of me wants him in for the LOL's and the other wouldn't want a character who debuted in the worst NES game in history in Super Smash Bros. :/
Say what you will but Urban Champion is much more fun that Ice Climbers IMO.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I found something interesting: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn024.html

There's a section on here that talks about various Nintendo characters, and it looks like these are characters Sakurai would add for Super Smash Bros. for N64 and Urban Champ is on the list.

I'm personally not sure if it means that Urban Champion is still being considered for future Smash titles, but I hope that's the case.

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
According to rumor/legend, the Urban Champion was considered alongside the Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, and the Ice Climbers (and maybe Pit) as candidates for Super Smash Bros. Melee, to represent the NES era. The Urban Champion was debunked because there wasn't enough going for him to be a unique character.

Now, I haven't played the game, but it sounds like all you do is basically punch each other until one of the fighters falls down a manhole. That's... not really that much to work on.

Having said that, I'd totally welcome him, being a character from a game that's all about fighting, though I'd have other choices I'd rather see before him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
According to rumor/legend, the Urban Champion was considered alongside the Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, and the Ice Climbers (and maybe Pit) as candidates for Super Smash Bros. Melee, to represent the NES era. The Urban Champion was debunked because there wasn't enough going for him to be a unique character.
its not a rumor its on the ice climbers page on melee's website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom