• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Write anything, solve everything - Maxwell from Scribblenauts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud9

Smash Cadet

Maxwell is the protagonist of 5th Cell's highly popular puzzle game series Scribblenauts. The gameplay of Scribblenauts is fairly simple; you write words into your magic notepad and they appear in the world for you to use in order to solve puzzles.

Maxwell's moveset potential is pretty much infinite. He can literally use any object you can think of, so there is zero chance of him being a clone.

Inclusion Criteria:

These are Sakurai's criteria for a character being included in Smash Bros, and why Maxwell fits all of them.

The character must make people want to play the game.
The Scribblenauts series is immensely popular, so I think Maxwell fits this one to a T.

The character must be unique.
As I said above, Maxwell's infinite moveset means that it would be a challenge making him not unique.

The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
Maxwell is a comical looking, humanoid character with an unusually large head to body ratio. I'd say he fits in quite well.

They must contribute to the game balance.
With Namco-Bandai working on the game, I don't think it would be too difficult to make Maxwell balanced.

As well, all of the Scribblenauts games so far (except Remix) have been exclusive to Nintendo consoles, and Scribblenauts Unlimited will be a Wii U exclusive.

[collapse=Moveset]
Playstyle
I imagine Maxwell as being a heavy hitting lightweight, but with some speed and maneuverability flaws. His ground game would be amazing, but his aerial game would be poor. However, his range would also be quite good.

Stats

Weight: 3/10
Size: Similar to Mario
Ground speed: 3/10
Air speed: 2/10
Midair Jumps: 1
Initial Jump: 4/10
Midair Jump: 3/10
Fall Speed: 5/10

Glide: No
Wall Cling: No
Wall Jump: No
Crawl: No
Tether Grab: Yes (rope)

Special Moves

Neutral B: Ray Gun - Maxwell pulls out a ray gun and shoots with it. Has very little starting lag, and travels very fast, but does only about 2%, and has no hitstun.

Side B: Summoning - Maxwell summons a random animal. That animal then goes and attacks opponents. Animal can be attacked, and taking enough damage will kill them. Different animals have different effects and HP. Very rarely (1% chance), Maxwell will summon a T-rex, which is incredibly powerful, and can kill at low percentages.

Up B: Winged Dotted Bathtub - Maxwell hops on the winged spotted bathtub that was seen in promotional images for Super Scribblenauts, and rises steadily upwards for about 3 seconds. It's horizontal trajectory can be controlled during flight. It deals no damage.

Down B: Forcefield - Activates a forcefield that deflects projectiles. However, it is unique in that it does not have to be held down to reflect; pressing the button turns it on, and pressing it again turns it off. Maxwell can also move around while it is active, but he moves a lot slower, and cannot attack.

Final Smash: Black Hole - Maxwell summons a black hole, which, like in the games, slowly expands for a few seconds before suddenly expanding outwards at massive speeds, causing immense destruction. The first, slow expansion deals damage similar to a Smart Bomb, then the massive explosion deals about 40-50% damage, and knockback similar to 2 Warlock Punches

I'll add other moves later, can't be stuffed at the moment.
[/collapse]

Series symbol credit to Onyx Oblivian.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
dang should have thought about this guy

I'm in total support of this dude, some of the most fun games ever

Nah man nah, the only acceptable Final Smash would be for Maxwell to go back in time, come back ridding a t-rex, and run around munching on the hordes of robot zombies that have appeared all over the stage.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd love for it to happen; Super Scribblenauts is one of my favorite DS games. Where else can you make a "Giant Rideable Fire-breathing Flying Winged Armed Friendly Opossum?"

That being said, I doubt his chances due to being an American Third-Party character that, iirc, his original game didn't reach Japan until after the second was released.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Very nice idea. I expect a Giant Flaming Purple Pregnant Cthulhu to be incorporated in this idea eventually.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oy vey, if Cthulhus start to breed...the end of the world is among us.

Anyway, if by some awesome miracle he made it in, I wonder how they would incorporate the endless amount of things available to Maxwell in the games. I think he's a character that has too much move potential. You could fill the entire roster with just Maxwell, and they'd all get unique movesets. :laugh:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Gluing explosives to people sounds fun too.

Or putting them in a metal wagon with a magnet in front of it facing the opposite direction.

I'm putting my vote down for "Super Smash Bros: Scribblenauts".

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
This would be the greatest thing ever. I seriously want Maxwell now. Probably won't happen, but it'd be really awesome to see him in the game!

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i heard Scribblenauts was getting a Wii U launch title, i think that kind of helps Maxwells chances. if only a little.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I would love to see one of his specials be Assist Trophy where he summons a weaker version of a random assist trophy.

:phone:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Really interesting.

Still the moveset doesn't convince me

I mean, I like the animal summoning. But why that's the only random move? I think every of his moves should be random, but obviously that would kill any strategy involved with the character... Could work as a WTF character, like, the biggest WTF character of all time.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Really interesting.

Still the moveset doesn't convince me

I mean, I like the animal summoning. But why that's the only random move? I think every of his moves should be random, but obviously that would kill any strategy involved with the character... Could work as a WTF character, like, the biggest WTF character of all time.
He has to compete with Duck Hunt Dog then. :awesome:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Up B- Something random pops out from underneath him, each going a different distance. Helicopter, Dragon, Plane, Wings, Pigeon

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I hope that Kirby, Pikachu, Samus and Pit. Are in it. But I doubt that.

So I hope Skull Kid, Vaati, Gannondorf, Daisy, Toad and Bowser are in it.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Now I can make Link and Mario fight on flying elephants that hold bazookas!

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

so ya they are
(found on the WiiU's FB page)
[COLLAPSE="My reaction"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I was already curious about this series and I've been looking forward for this next game, but I didn't expect Nintendo to let them put their characters here. It just blew my mind!

One more reason to buy a Wii U, that's for sure.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it say by actives nothing about object editor :awesome:

(if we can summon WAA I'll be happy)
given the sheer amount of content present in the Scribblenauts series, it's likely.

seems that Scribblenauts is algo getting the same treatment as Tekken Tag Tournament 2... by adding Nintendo stuff in the games.

seems like Nintendo is doing big business with 3rd parties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom