• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

STL BarWarz Melee tournament-PLEASE LOOK AT ALL CHANGES BEFORE COMING!!!

Roux

Smash Journeyman
STLBARWARZ
Presents

MELEE!!!!!!

Address:
7895 Watson Rd.
Marlborough, MO

Venue:
STLBarWarz, located inside Danno's American Pub

Schedule:
Friday, January 4, 2013
***TIME HAS CHANGED AGAIN, so make sure you're there @4 unless you want to skip doubles!!***
Doors and registration at 4PM
Doubles at 5PM
Singles registration continues until 7.
Singles Pools *if on schedule* at 7PM, NLT 7:30.
Singles Bracket @ approx 8:30, NLT 9PM
Finished approx 11PM.

**Notice-- pools will be scraped if we are running behind. If this happens, seeding for bracket will be based off estimated skill level and ELO.

Prices and Payouts:

Venue fee = FREE We will need to bring CRT TVs and systems, so bring a setup not for a waived venue fee, but from the bottom of your heart.

Singles Entry Fee = $10
Doubles Entry Fee = $10/team

Payout for doubles and singles

1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

Ruleset
[COLLAPSE="Hidden Message"]* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers's Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:

Stages

Starters (Singles)

Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Starters (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional)
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional)
[/COLLAPSE]
General Rules
[COLLAPSE="Hidden Message"]-BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.

-Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, stop what you are doing and CALL ONE OF THE TOs TO YOUR MATCH.

-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag.

-Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.

-DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.

-The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.

-Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available. [/COLLAPSE]
General Info

Thanks to STL BarWarz for agreeing to host a tournament for us smashers! STLBW is a fighting game club that hosts tournaments for several different fighting games. Check out their blog here: http://stlbarwarz.tumblr.com/

Also, part of the melee tournament will be live streamed on the barwarz twitch tv page here: http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz

You should also know that STLBarWarz is hosting a large fighting game event called Mass Appeal Madness all day on Jan. 5, the day after the tourney. They'll feature games like UMVC3, AE, and several others. If your love of fighting games extends past Smash you should heavily consider going. I'm not the expert on this, but MilkMonster can answer questions.

STLBW is kinda trying out the local smash scene to make sure the following is big enough, enthusiastic enough, and consistent enough to be worth their time and resources. The more people that show, the more likely they will be to want us back. They reserve Saturdays for big-turnout games like UMVC3 and SF. Melee should absolutely be a big-turnout game in the fighting game scene, so let's represent! :awesome:

The venue has the ability to make PIZZA and SAMICHES. I'm not sure how late their kitchen will be open, but it's Friday night so we should be set. There are also fast food places very close all along Watson like Jack in the Box and Red Lobster.

We are trying to get an estimate of entrants so that STLBW knows what to expect. Please RSVP if you can go! If we have big enough numbers it should help us in leveraging more and better events with them. Thanks!

Confirmed entrants:

[COLLAPSE="Hidden entrants"]DekuSchrub
Roux
Daniel the Seraph
Riio
RFrizzle
Cookiemonsta (plus Dan and Trey)
Ripple
NickPrime
Youngling (plus 2 or 3)
Schlafly
Bert
Shinobi (samus bounty)
Vulpine1008 (plus 1 or 3)
Piemaster
Slips
Eo
Meat is Murder
LaVista
Shard (and friend with cookies)
Cook
1-up
Poot
DarkAtma
Mapio
MOJoe +dubs partner
Marf(?)
Sa1vy (?)
King Siegfried (?)
Clerkie(?)
[/COLLAPSE]

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yeah this seems pretty alright. The following day is our big tournament, Mass Appeal Madness II, featuring most big titles such as AE, UMVC3, Persona 4, TTT2, and others.

NickPrime

Smash Rookie
Meat, you live probably within 10 minutes of me, friendlies are to be had.
I'll be attending this tourney. Is there going to be any P:M at all, though?
I mostly play P:M but I'll sign up and get wrecked to show support.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yes sir I live in Collinsville, will gladly play Melee/Project M. (For this tourney, I think the main focus is Melee, but I'd gladly bring my ****ty run down Wii to play Project M on. I'm quite a fan of it.)

My main games are Marvel and AE, and I do have pads, so not a problem.

Gimme a text sometime at 618 741 8917.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
day after my birthday smash tournament? I think so

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we don't have time to also host a P:M tourney this time around. But def bring extra setups for PM or Brawl friendlies. We shouldn't need more than 4-5 setups for the actual tourney, but we should have several extra so people can play friendlies and make pools go faster.

:phone:

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
Luke you still play? I'm more than likely going :)
lol
I just played the best smash of my life in my first tourny since smym about a month ago
not practicing has made me a lot better

my focus has been on dota 2, i was a sponsored player (ROOT gaming) but was kicked due to irl circumstance and now have no game to play. so i could potentially hit melee again, idk

day after my birthday smash tournament? I think so
come to this!

do either of you guys want to team? if anthony comes i got dibs on him :D

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
do either of you guys want to team? if anthony comes i got dibs on him :D
I can't promise teams, because Its all dependent on time and what not. But if we have enough people/time, I'll gladly host teams too.

If anyone wants to stay the extra day for Mass Appeal Madness 2, the following day, let me know and you're more than welcome to crash at my place, I've got enough room to house a few heads, alongside Dart. It's gonna be some hype Marvel and AE play, with some of our best players showing up, and some real talent from OOS. Let me know ASAP, and if you need some more info about anything, 618 741 8917. Shoot me a text, or gimme a call.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll come scrub it up a little.

Edit: Why am I just now noticing this lol
Haha, w00t, I think we're well over 10 now. Didn't you mention that you have a few friends that the rest of us don't know that will come out to this?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
eternal sad face
will already have left for apex by this =(

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would go to this if I didn't work 13 hours every tuesday lol.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I would go to this if I didn't work 13 hours every tuesday lol.
It's on a Friday, brah! January 4, right before Apex ;) The venue is also interested in hosting brawl and/or P:M tournies sometime, so it may be a good chance to introduce yourself and set up a P:M tourney with them...and find out if you like the venue enough to even pursue it.

@RFrizzle- Are you really coming all the way from KC?? Just letting you know it is pretty small and we def don't have all day, but if it's worth it to you, that's awesome :) I put you on the RSVP list.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's on a Friday, brah! January 4, right before Apex ;) The venue is also interested in hosting brawl and/or P:M tournies sometime, so it may be a good chance to introduce yourself and set up a P:M tourney with them...and find out if you like the venue enough to even pursue it.

@RFrizzle- Are you really coming all the way from KC?? Just letting you know it is pretty small and we def don't have all day, but if it's worth it to you, that's awesome :) I put you on the RSVP list.

For some reason I thought this was Dec 4th lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

For some reason I thought this was Dec 4th lol

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
The only problem I have is getting there. I don't have a car (I'm only 16 mind you) so I'll just see what finagling I can do.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I have is getting there. I don't have a car (I'm only 16 mind you) so I'll just see what finagling I can do.
You might try getting in touch with Bert & Shinobi since they're coming from como, which isn't KC, but the closest to you. If you have a bicycle, there's also the Katy Trail which goes from KC to COMO :p But seriously, like I said, it's a small and short tourney, so you won't miss anything that you could get out of a Rolla Monthly. Don't feel bad for not coming, I think we'll have plenty STL tourneys in the near future. Plus DarkRain might tell you to not drive 4 hrs when you could play in his basement :smirk:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
whoa, I just noticed this starts at 8 PM. wtf?

Roux

Smash Journeyman
whoa, I just noticed this starts at 8 PM. wtf?
Yeah, we don't have a ton of time to work with, which is why we may not be doing doubles. We're trying to work with the venue to get an earlier start time, so check back for changes in the schedule before you come out.

Top Bottom