• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

STL BarWarz Melee tournament-PLEASE LOOK AT ALL CHANGES BEFORE COMING!!!

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yeah, we don't have a ton of time to work with, which is why we may not be doing doubles. We're trying to work with the venue to get an earlier start time, so check back for changes in the schedule before you come out.
Baz is cool letting us start earlier, we just gotta' give them a time and they will prolly let it rock.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
How competitive is this? Aka can a total n00b like myself come?
Haha, yes you are totally welcome to come! It will pretty competitive, there's a few top-level players coming and everyone else is among the best in the STL smash community. But we all come, not in hopes of winning, but to just enjoy the competitive spirit and the fun community :awesome: Hope to see you there!

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I want to come. I'll see who I can bring from Rolla.
Awesome! Do you know a marth main from Rolla that goes by Marf? I think he's living in Waynesville now, but if you're coming up from Rolla maybe I could convince him to catch a ride with you and make it out to the tourney... if you know him.

Shard

Smash Cadet
Haha, yes you are totally welcome to come! It will pretty competitive, there's a few top-level players coming and everyone else is among the best in the STL smash community. But we all come, not in hopes of winning, but to just enjoy the competitive spirit and the fun community :awesome: Hope to see you there!
Awesome. I'll try to be there. I might bring a friend too. She and I love SSBM. We're the best in our friend group, which isn't saying much at all. We want to take it up a notch, and it's hard to get better without better people to play against. Maybe we'll bring cookies. :)

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Awesome. I'll try to be there. I might bring a friend too. She and I love SSBM. We're the best in our friend group, which isn't saying much at all. We want to take it up a notch, and it's hard to get better without better people to play against. Maybe we'll bring cookies. :)
Yeah dude definitely come! It'll be fun.

Also, from my understanding, Baz is gonna let us start earlier than 7, like I figured. I will talk to him and kink out final details.

Triple also, there is no venue fee for this period, but, please be warned, Danno's only has flatscreen LCD's. We NEED set ups. (Which include the game, system, and TV's.) It's completely up to you guys to provide these.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Triple also, there is no venue fee for this period, but, please be warned, Danno's only has flatscreen LCD's. We NEED set ups. (Which include the game, system, and TV's.) It's completely up to you guys to provide these.
WHA?!?!? NO VENUE FEE?! That's ballin. Super stoked about that.

And I'm aiming for 4PM registration time, 5PM start time. I'd probably get there an hour early to set up a few things.

For the TV's I know a couple guys that will bring a tv out, but we're really going to want to have as many setups as possible. We may only need 4 or 5 to be 'stations', but people will be wanting to do lots of friendlies so we'll want about 1 TV per 3 people attending. Everyone, PLEASE BRING SET UPS!!!

...and 2 cookies per entrant, lolz. that would be rad if you brought cookies, shard.

:phone:

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion

And I'm aiming for 4PM registration time, 5PM start time. I'd probably get there an hour early to set up a few things.

For the TV's I know a couple guys that will bring a tv out, but we're really going to want to have as many setups as possible. We may only need 4 or 5 to be 'stations', but people will be wanting to do lots of friendlies so we'll want about 1 TV per 3 people attending. Everyone, PLEASE BRING SET UPS!!!

...and 2 cookies per entrant, lolz. that would be rad if you brought cookies, shard.

I can confirm at least one from Dart if he shows, cause he brings it with him all the time. Josh and I will show up as early as we can. 4 or 5 should be nearly enough, any more is welcome though.

Also yes, cookies please. I may or may not be drunk, so cookies will be fantastic.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, cook. I've been teaming a lot with Riio lately, so we might pair up. Some say teams are best with people that are good friends, has Billy or Kevin considered coming out? Are you here in STL for break, or Como?

Shard

Smash Cadet

I have a Gamecube to VGA box, so I can bring an LCD monitor and speakers. The video quality has a few quirks, but is pretty decent overall.

Does someone want to set up a Facebook event or something? It would be easier to invite a ton of people that way.

Cook

Smash Master
I live in Stl now that I'm done with law school. So I doubt any of those guys wanna come just for a tournament, but I'll find someone.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I have a Gamecube to VGA box, so I can bring an LCD monitor and speakers. The video quality has a few quirks, but is pretty decent overall.

Does someone want to set up a Facebook event or something? It would be easier to invite a ton of people that way.
Hey thanks for the offer, but we actually can't use LCD monitors/TV's. We have to use a CRT tv, which is the older, boxy shaped ones. The reason is because on all LCD's there is a slight lag in the image production. Some LCD's are quicker than others, but all CRT's are instantaneous. It doesn't make a big difference in most games, and you can even get used to the lag in melee, although you'll still be limited in your reaction time. But as a standard, smashers don't compete on LCD's.

You are welcome to start a fb event if you'd like. I'm already juggling checking this and keeping the guys on the St Louis Melee group up to date so I don't want to manage another medium. You should check out the st Louis melee FB group. Its's way more active than the threads here on the boards. It's private so DarkAtma will have to confirm you before you can join (just to keep pedophiles out) XD

Shard

Smash Cadet
Hey thanks for the offer, but we actually can't use LCD monitors/TV's. We have to use a CRT tv, which is the older, boxy shaped ones. The reason is because on all LCD's there is a slight lag in the image production. Some LCD's are quicker than others, but all CRT's are instantaneous. It doesn't make a big difference in most games, and you can even get used to the lag in melee, although you'll still be limited in your reaction time. But as a standard, smashers don't compete on LCD's.

Ah! I have always wondered why they use CRTs at the tourneys.

I like this new guy already
new girl* ;)

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yeah Cook definitely come! It'll be a good time. And it's at a bar, so you can't really go wrong there. It'll be nice to see you again I guess. ;p

So, I'm pretty interested in the possibility of cookies. And if there is teams, which, with the earlier start time, this looks good, I think Dart and I are teaming.

Also, Shard, whats your name on FB? I wouldn't mind setting something up eventually, I'll add you and invite you to it.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
FYI, the info isn't correct in the OP.

Price: $10 for singles (Since there is no venue fee, a first place wouldn't really be worth the trip if it was only $5.
$10 for teams is correct though.

Shard

Smash Cadet
So, I'm pretty interested in the possibility of cookies. And if there is teams, which, with the earlier start time, this looks good, I think Dart and I are teaming.

Also, Shard, whats your name on FB? I wouldn't mind setting something up eventually, I'll add you and invite you to it.
Name's Kendall Park on Facebook.

As for cookies... perhaps something to replenish one's health? I'll have to consult with my aforementioned baking buddy.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Go nuts. Be sure to say hey to me, I wanna meet all the new faces! I'll be the TO, along with Devin. I'll be wearing some sort of noteable shirt, whether it be my Daft Punk Yin Yang shirt, my Game Grumps shirt, or my Akuma shirt.

Also I will bring my PS3 if anyone wants to get some friendlies in other games in. (I'll bring TTT2, UMVC3, AE 2012, BlazBlue Extend, P4A, Skullgirls, whatever you want really.) Those are my main forte aside from Smash, so, I will be at much more comfortable ground in any of those, preferably Blaz or P4A.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Man, wish I could go to this but I work every friday night :/. Same goes for Geno.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Man, wish I could go to this but I work every friday night :/. Same goes for Geno.
That's a real bummer. Be wary, this is mostly just to get our feet in the water, Friday's aren't exactly set in stone. Baz wanted to see if we could get a crowd for a Smash event. So, I forsee another one, and if you wanna' start trying to do Project M stuff it shouldn't be a problem.

What's your FB name? I'll add you as a host for the event.
Luke Moritz (Cheesecake)

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Whoa Whoa Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.....
This is on Friday?! I work all night Fridays...
The date has been in the title of the thread for awhile now, though, I guess it should've said Friday. But yeah, date has been the same the whole time. I don't forsee the events staying on Friday, but this one happens to fall on that.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Whoa Whoa Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.....
This is on Friday?! I work all night Fridays...
You got two weeks out, get a shift change or something. You could put your two weeks in XD

And it's also funny that a girl and possible cookies is a bigger draw than dart and deku

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
You got two weeks out, get a shift change or something. You could put your two weeks in XD

And it's also funny that a girl and possible cookies is a bigger draw than dart and deku

I guess I jus always assume that tourneys are on Saturdays. But Yea I'm definitely gonna try and get a shift change b4 this thing. No worries :awesome:

oan: Girls that play smash (and bake cookies in my case) are like wifey status imo.

Top Bottom