• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PolyBash XII - March 2nd, 2013 - Montréal, QC, Canada

Vista_Comic

Smash Rookie

The Comic is organizing this march the 12th edition of the PolyBash, during which we'll hold a Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament. There will also be League of Legends and ShootMania Storm tournaments held in the same venue for those with gamer friends who aren't big fans of Smash (if you have such friends :)).

Tournament host
Comité de Micro-Informatique de l'École Polytechnique
comic@step.polymtl.ca

Date
March 2nd and 3rd, 2013

École Polytechnique de Montréal (Main cafeteria)
2900 Boul. Édouard-Montpetit
Montréal, Québec
H3T 1J4

Registration fees
Venue: 10$ until Febuary 1st, 15$ afterwards
Tournament entry: 10$ per player per tournament

The venue fees go towards paying for equipment, security, maintenance, etc. and the tournament entry fees all go towards prizes in addition to any sponsorships we may receive.

You can register and pay your ticket via PayPal on http://www.polybash.org/pb12/?page_id=5

Prize Payouts: Singles
1st place: 50%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 10%

Prize Payouts: Doubles
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

Schedule
The venue will be opened for participants at 10am on Saturday March 2nd and closed at 4pm on the 3rd. There will be staff present all night long, and a rest area will be available on the second floor for those who would wish to bring a sleeping bag and mattress. Detailed scheduling will be available later on as they are decided.

Venue information
The Smash tournament will be held in the Rotonde area of the cafeteria. There will be a large projected screen on which the final matches will be broadcasted for everyone's enjoyment, in addition to room for at least 17 stations (depending on TV sizes).
There will be a snack bar available to purchase food during the entire event, including chips, chocolate, juice, pop and energy drinks. During meal hours, we will take group orders for pizza, chicken and Lebanese food. You can also bring your own food and drinks, but be aware that alcohol and illicit substances are forbidden.
You can reach the venue by subway at the Université de Montréal station or by car (there is interior parking for less than 20$ for the weekend)

Melee Ruleset
General rules
Single neutral stages:
  • Final Destination
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Dreamland
  • Battlefield
  • Fountain of Dreams
Single counter-pick:
  • Pokémon Stadium
Singles stage ban:
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Doubles neutral stages:
  • Final Destination
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Dreamland
  • Battlefield
  • Pokémon Stadium
Doubles counter-pick:
  • DK 64
Doubles stage ban:
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Other rules
  • 4 Stock Matches, 8 Minute Time limit
  • All sets are best 2/3 games. Quarters Finals, Semis Final, Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals sets are best 3/5 games.
  • All items off.
  • If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
  • Wobbling is banned
  • Unless both players agree before a set, If you pause-reset a game, you forfeit that match. It doesn’t matter if you spiked your opponent, or if they were already dying off the top, just let the the game go to “GAME” in any tournament match.

Set procedure
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
  2. Use Stage Striking* to determine the first stage.
  3. The players play the first match of the set.
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regard to the tournament environment. In other words, players are responsible for:
  1. Stage List and Rule Set Familiarity
  2. Venue and Entry Fees
  3. Arriving On Time
  4. Maintaining Personal Hygiene
  5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
  6. Minimizing Whining

Setups
The Comic has at their disposal 10 TVs and a single GameCube system with Smash. Therefore, we will require some players to bring their setups to make the tournament possible. As an incentive, players will get 50% off their venue fee if they provide a TV with a GC and game, or 25% off if they bring either. If all stations are filled before the event and you still want to bring a small TV with your GameCube, you can do so for friendlies, but no rebate will be given for surplus setups.
If you want to bring your setup, please say so and you will be added to the list. Only those on the list (or the first arrived if the list is incomplete) will receive the rebate.

Televisions (11/17)
  • Comic (x4)
  • Polytechnique (x6)
  • ERayz

GameCube with Smash Melee (3/17)
  • Comic
  • Swanized
  • ERayz

Interest list
I'll try to keep this list updated with those stating they will attend. However, the official list is located on http://www.polybash.org, so you have to register and pay there before your place is reserved. Those in the list who did register will be in bold.

1. SSF
2. Mifune
3. ERayz
4. Tofer Dallah
5. Amaya
6. Kage
7. Europhoria
8. Swanized
9. Mr Q
10. Vrud
11. Doom
12. Joe Dallah
13. Lapin
14. Jethrotex
15. Thunder Mustache
16. Ticaso
17. Fashchi
18. Windrose
19. Diakonos
20. Sanuzi
51. Sorry, no more places

Vista_Comic

Smash Rookie
will this be as big as the STYC series?
The PolyBash XII in its whole will be bigger than STYC with 150-200 players. However, since there is only a Smash Melee tournament (unlike STYC which features all three games), the Smash area is expected to have arround 50 players (compared to 90 for STYC2 and 70 for STYC3). If the interest list gets filled very fast compared to the other tournaments, we will allocate more room, so it might end up being as big, it's all up to you guys ;).

There will also be a full feature Smash Till You Crash IV during the summer, but there's enough passion for Smash to hold 2 events in a year, don't you think so?

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
Im looking for a good tournament to go to the month of March. if there are no majors going on, i will probably go to this

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I am interested in attending this. The tournament is during the McGill reading break, so I might be away, but I will confirm in time.

Thanks for a GREAT first post (informative and well-organized) and for giving melee a home here in Montreal. Cheers!

Vista_Comic

Smash Rookie
I don't think jungle jape should be in double counter pick lol.
I'll probably be there.
and also how many TV's do you guys have for melee so far?
As stated in the info we have 10 televisions at our disposal, 4 from our committee, and 6 from the school's AV department. No player as stated that they were bringing their TV yet.

Even more importantly, we'll need GameCubes and/or Wiis, because a TV without a game system is rather useless. The Comic has one and the school doesn't have any (obviously).

swanized

Smash Cadet
I'll be there for sure!

I should probably be able to bring a GC and melee if needed.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
As stated in the info we have 10 televisions at our disposal, 4 from our committee, and 6 from the school's AV department. No player as stated that they were bringing their TV yet.

Even more importantly, we'll need GameCubes and/or Wiis, because a TV without a game system is rather useless. The Comic has one and the school doesn't have any (obviously).

As usual, I'll bring my full setup which includes a TV, a GameCube with Melee and memory card (I might as well bring a power bar if necessary).

Vista_Comic

Smash Rookie
If some of my friend want to come too, can I give their name or they must register ? o:
For the interest list you can give me his nickname yes, and you can also buy more than one ticket on the online registration if he doesn't have PayPal as long as you fill in all the info on each ticket.

mr q

Smash Rookie
if we dont have pay pal/credit card but expressed interest in attending. can you hold our place so we can pay cash in person at the venue?

Vista_Comic

Smash Rookie
if we dont have pay pal/credit card but expressed interest in attending. can you hold our place so we can pay cash in person at the venue?
I can't make any promises since I'm ultimately just a messenger (I graduated in december so I'm no longer an official member of the Comic, even though I still help out since I'm experienced in these matters). I'd recommend sending an email to the mailing list (comic@step.polymtl.ca) if you want to make any special arrangements.
We usually work with first paid first served, so if you are really worried about Smash tickets being sold out, there's always the possibility to pay cash in person or to send a cheque by standard mail, again the best thing is to contact the Comic by email to make arrangements that would satisfy your needs.

Tofer Dallah

Smash Cadet
Ok good ! :3

I register 3 friends:

Doom
Joe Dallah (not 100% sure but he have good chance tom come)
Lapin

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
I don't get how nobody has subscrbed for Melee yet. It seems like the anouncement of the tournament brought hype in the community, but it faded away few hours later XD

Come on guys!

unknown522

Some guy
Y'know it babe.

Trying to organize housing if there are people that are not planning to stay at the venue overnight.

Also, I can't read the registration site because it is mostly in french....

:phone:

Top Bottom