• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winter Smashcon 2013

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone for coming and we're looking to really blowing up the summer event June 23rd looking forward to seeing you all then :)

If you'd like to keep up on our going events in Louisiana subscribe to our State Circuit Thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330574

Or visit our site for more information.

www.smash-con.com

Smash Brothers

Brawl

Grand Finals Jnig vs Lee Martin Watch here.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashcon/b/359033920

1.Lee :metaknightbrawl: ($72 +100 Bonus)
2.Jnig :wariobrawl: ($36)
3.Sync :olimarbrawl:($12)
4.Brawlman :sonicbrawl:
5.Facey
5.Gunnar :pikachubrawl:
7.Tesh :sonicbrawl:
7.Curlz
9.BSL
9.Kirbyman
9.Deathgod
9.Zeta

Bracket

Melee

1: Rice ($156.00)
2: Lee ($78.00)
3: Freddy ($26.00)
4: TaylorHJ
5: Tim
5: Zone
7: Jake
7: Ragnarok
9: Arzak
9: Sane
9: Wangstabater
9: RoboTurner
13: Amazing Aquedor
13: Trey
13: Wafer
13: Griffard
17: Lazy
17: Jango Fetts BackPack
17: Robo
17: BSL
17: Mountain Goat
17: The Boss
17: Bagle
17: Horse Choker
25: IRLJ
25: Pingding
25: Dylan
25: Mr Ora

Melee doubles

1: Korean BJ (Zone and Rice) ($54.00)
2: Tim and Lee (Robo and Lee) ($27.00)
3: Team Killumanati (Ragnarok and RoboTurner) ($9.00)
4: T and F (TaylorHJ and Freddy)
5: Swaggis
5: One Unit
7: Ryan and Wyte
7: Pretty Unicorns (Arzak and RaLy)
9: The Go Getters
9: Team Honorable (Wangstabater and Pingding)

Brackets

Singles

Doubles

Project M

(Will be updated soon)

1. Taylorhj
2. Ragnarok
3. Tim
4. Freddy / RAM

N64

1.Fancy :samus64: ($66 +$50 Bonus)
2.Justin :mario64: :kirby64:(MS) ($33)
3.Jwulf-:jigglypuff64: ($11)
4.George :ness64:
5.Bomber :link64:
5.Matt :kirby64: (MS)
7.Rab%n :kirby64:
7.Stark-:luigi64:
9.Lionheart :yoshi64:
9.Lance :fox64:
9.James :kirby64:

N64 Doubles

1.Jwulf & Fancy ($28)
2.Matt & Justin (MS) ($12)
3.Rab%n & Stark
4.James & Lionheart

Bracket

Singles Bracket

Videos for N64 are being uploaded now. A few are up currently.

https://www.youtube.com/thesmashcon

Traditional Fighters

SF4:AE
1: GOL Toi 504 ($98 + $50 Bonus)
2: LoyalSol ($28)
3: GOLdialupslim ($14)
4: William H. Bonnie
5: 2 Padz
5: NewOrleansFraud
7: GH MastaStef
7: Joshua Hood
9: GH Saykin
9: Asian Joe
9: 64 Points
9: GOLmediadarling
13: Guy in Green
13: Julius

UMVC3
1: Full Schedule ($105+ $100 Bonus)
2: Trumpet ($30)
3: Nasty Ninja ($15)
4: Lee Martin
5: Bilsberry
5: Creaux
7: Rice
7: GH MastaStef
9: Julius
9: GH Saykin
9: RCB
9: Iron Dan
13: Joshua Hood
13: Video Hamster
13: BroskiNomics

MK9
1: Game Time ($98)
2: Eklectic ($28)
3: MalcolmX_01 ($14)
4: Zzarbomba
5: The Boss
5: Ben
7: Ghost
7: Video Hamster
9: Don
9: Mr. Extraordinary
9: BroskiNomics
9: Critical Limit
13: Kuma228
13: Ram

PSAS

1.Curlz ($33)
2.Toi ($16.50)
3.Kilswithfang ($5.50)
4.Mr. Extradanary
5.Brawlman
5.Ragnorak
7.Johnny
7.Jangofetsbackapack
7.Deathgod
9.Nickles
9.Josh

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
This tournament was awesome, aside from a few errors from the TO with the bracket, but it worked it self out.

Shoutouts to everyone I played friendlies and tourney matches with, but especially Jake and the doctor mario main(can't remember your name sorry), those were some fun doubles. Everyone had good sportsmanship and I will definitely try to make each monthly. Me and Ragnarok will be practicing as much as we can.

I look forward to playing everyone again.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Fun tournament. GG's everyone I played. I hope the melee scene continues to grow. The south needs to be a scene thats feared. And roboturner, we shall MM every tourney we're both at lol.

:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Dont forget to give us more feedback in the State Circuit thread. If you have any suggestions: for improvement or anything you'd like to see happen, please speak up. Also any comments you have (suggestions or comments) don't have to be about the conventions only. If you want to say something about anything in general, please speak up. We want your help to grow this community and help everyone have fun. :)

Arzak

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry to say that I was pretty disappointed with the melee TO. My team with IRLJ was somehow dropped from the bracket without losing two games, not to mention that all of our information was entered incorrectly (there is no one named RaLy, we never designated ourselves as Pretty Unicorns). The TO was rarely around for questioning and didn't have a grasp of the situation even when he could be found, and ended up having to refund us.

Other than that, excellent tourney! Already looking forward to the next one.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Other than the misspelling of names, i'm curious, what else was bad or went wrong? I'm happy our tournament produced at least 25 people, including some OOS (thanks for coming), but i'm a little sad things weren't smooth. We had a lot of space, so just curious, what else was wrong?

D

Deleted member

smashcon assumed the TO knew what he was doing so they didnt train him at all, or pay attention to him during the tournament. both singles and doubles brackets were ********. i personally remade singles bracket so it wouldn't **** up the whole tournament. last call for signups were never announced, matches werent announced, people were being added to the bracket after it was already started, ****ing up so many matches. some people were left out of brackets. there was no organizer for setups. when i asked what i should do with the 3 set ups my car brought i was basically told "find a spot for them" which is ****ing ********. a few other things i dont remember off the top of my head. basically everything that could have been wrong with melee went wrong with melee and smashcon denies any responsibility for it. ****ing ignorant.

P:M results as far as i remember

1. taylorhj
2. ragnarok
3. tim
4. freddy / RAM

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
Taylor, had you been to any of them (major SmashCons) prior?

That sure does sound like a cluster**** and I don't remember any past ones sounding/being that bad for any tournament whatsoever. They may not have been the greatest run tournaments, but they never had literally everything go wrong like that.

EDIT: Btw, I'm just curious if you have attended others for the most part. I understand that it was PingDing's first time and all that; I have met him before as well, just fyi.

Griffard

Smash Ace
This tournament was awesome, aside from a few errors from the TO with the bracket, but it worked it self out.

Shoutouts to everyone I played friendlies and tourney matches with, but especially Jake and the doctor mario main(can't remember your name sorry), those were some fun doubles. Everyone had good sportsmanship and I will definitely try to make each monthly. Me and Ragnarok will be practicing as much as we can.

I look forward to playing everyone again.
Sup man! It's Griff. Really enjoyed all our games.

Tourney was a ton of fun besides TO ****ups, and the best part was meeting all the players that I hadn't met yet. Looking forward to playing everyone more.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Shout outs!

1.Lee - Glad you actually got to enter this time around. Grats on winning. (Surprise surprise). Great sets in Marvel too. You had some fun matches to watch.
2.Jnig - And to think your wario was annoying before? After coming back from apex you have improved alot. I hated that my MK couldn't even touch you. -.- Good job on taking a set off lee. Keep up the progress.
3.Sync - I didn't get to talk to you much, but good job on getting third. I hope to see you in LA again soon. :)
4.Brawlman - Like Sync, I didn't get to talk to you much, but we had some fun matches in PSAS. I can't wait to see how you do in the future.
5.Facey - Great job on this placement. You went in, bought property, and represented Lafayette well. :)
5.Gunnar - I hate you. <3
7.Tesh - Didn't play or talk to you much, but super fun matches in Doubles. Hope your travel went smoothly.
9.BSL - Stay beautiful. :)
9.Deathgod - Sorry I had to play you and knock you out of every event you entered. :( But it was great chilling afterwards. :D

1.Curlz - Im proud of you for winning PSAS.
2.Toi - probably won't see this, but we had some GREAT matches. Hope to see you enter more tournaments in the future.
3.Kilswithfang - I think your match vs Toi was bull****, but I'm proud of you for getting third. We got top 2 next time. ;)
4.Mr. Extradanary - Keep in touch.
5.Ragnorak - Im still upset you had to leave, but next time it's on. I wanna try out that Good Cole of yours.
7.Jangofetsbackapack - DAT Ratchet setup. O.o
9.Nickles - Hope you had fun. :)
9.Josh - Even though you probably won't see this, I think you have the most potential in this game than anyone else in the bracket. Sucks you had to go 0 and out from 2 of the top 3 players. Please don't let that discourage you.

All in all, great tournament. I had a blast and can't wait for summercon. :)

Edit: brawl characters used.

5. Facey - :metaknight:/:kirby2:
7. Curlz - :metaknight:
9.BSL - :luigi2:
9.Deathgod - :ness2:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
smashcon assumed the TO knew what he was doing so they didnt train him at all, or pay attention to him during the tournament. both singles and doubles brackets were ********. i personally remade singles bracket so it wouldn't **** up the whole tournament. last call for signups were never announced, matches werent announced, people were being added to the bracket after it was already started, ****ing up so many matches. some people were left out of brackets. there was no organizer for setups. when i asked what i should do with the 3 set ups my car brought i was basically told "find a spot for them" which is ****ing ********. a few other things i dont remember off the top of my head. basically everything that could have been wrong with melee went wrong with melee and smashcon denies any responsibility for it. ****ing ignorant.

1. taylorhj
2. ragnarok
3. tim
4. freddy / RAM
Our Melee TO has run tournaments before. It's not like we pulled him off the streets and said "hey, run this Melee tournament for us". As I mentioned before, since no one has mentioned anything about his capabilities as a TO, there's no way we could assume he wouldn't do a good job. If there was a problem with Melee, why didn't you contact another TO, or even Erick? We would have gladly taken hold of the situation and fixed it for you instead of you taking over, then turning around and spitting venom at us. I don't know who told you "go find a place" for set-ups but that's not how we run things. We have specific areas for games. For all I know there may have been some miscommunication between TOs which next time we'll take extra precaution to make sure we are on the the same page. Also, we never denied responsibility for anything. It was something that was unforeseen. Now we know our Melee TO needs work so we'll make sure they are better prepared for next time.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Our Melee TO has run tournaments before. It's not like we pulled him off the streets and said "hey, run this Melee tournament for us". As I mentioned before, since no one has mentioned anything about his capabilities as a TO, there's no way we could assume he wouldn't do a good job. If there was a problem with Melee, why didn't you contact another TO, or even Erick? We would have gladly taken hold of the situation and fixed it for you instead of you taking over, then turning around and spitting venom at us. I don't know who told you "go find a place" for set-ups but that's not how we run things. We have specific areas for games. For all I know there may have been some miscommunication between TOs which next time we'll take extra precaution to make sure we are on the the same page. Also, we never denied responsibility for anything. It was something that was unforeseen. Now we know our Melee TO needs work so we'll make sure they are better prepared for next time.
Wow dude was just speaking his mind, and HE was the reason the biggest event at your tournament was a success. Maybe don't john it up so hard and just take responsibility. I want to go to future Smashcon events, but I'm only interested if the organization is better than it was at this particular event. He suggested improvements, so just try to implement them for next time.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman

1. taylorhj
2. ragnarok
3. tim
4. freddy / RAM
I don't denie responsibility that things may have went wrong but me personally (Erick) didn't find out any of this had happened until much later after the event. No one told me Melee was having problems after all the players I knew personally no one was complaining that I talked to. I made sure to go up and talk to PingDing the TO every hour and ask him how things were running I never got the impression it was bad. I conversed with his crew every other hour to make sure as well. I only remember you Taylor ever having a bad attitude I remember I asked you how it was going and all I got was some mumbles and you seemed angry over something.

Since I don't know you very well I left you alone seeing that it wasn't my place to pursue. I even talked to your gf with I think bomber or someone else about Melee and she seemed good with everything too. If I had known something was wrong and we were having that many problems I would have stepped in completely to help fix the them.

The TO at one point asked for my advice about refunding someones money but that is the only time he came to me and it was such a small incident I didn't think we had any REAL issues with melee at all this weekend. It is solely Smashcon's fault for the incident and the TO was put in a position he was not ready for I understand this now.

This is very much not like me. I make it a habit to not comment to the public because in this world any voice can be seen in many lights. No matter my good intentions to help the community anyone/everyone can find something wrong with it. Not to sound like a "gay" but I personally like you Taylor even though you seem to butt heads with Smashcon at every turn as a person you seem pretty chill. You seem to only want what is best for the Melee community and that is great. I thought I'd personally post back and apologize for the mishap this year and we won't let it happen again.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the next big Convention where it will be error free and much much bigger :)

- Erick

Bomber7

Smash Hero
What about a summer 64 smashcon?
Can you elaborate please? I don't quite understand.

Edit: I forgot if I told anyone thank you for coming out. So thanks for comming out and we look forward to seeing you guys at our monthlies and at summmercon! :D

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
I just want to point this out because it is something that Erick, and perhaps the other people involved in WinterCon, overlooked:

Erick and I went to PingDing's first tournament in Marksville. It was definitely not perfect; he was learning what it was like to TO and everyone was very patient with him. Since that time, he has only held a handful more tournaments at most, all of which have been small. I haven't attended them all so I can't say if he picked up on all the details he needed to be more successful as a TO at WinterCon, but just based on simple numbers PingDing is not an experienced TO.

WinterCon is probably expected to have more than 20 competitors in almost any tournament (perhaps barring 64). The stakes are higher and it is ultimately more hectic. PingDing just wasn't ready for this job (and that's his fault to some degree). He should have probably been more aware that he had to TO rather than enter his own tournament and divert attention from where it needed to be. SmashCon could have been well aware of this ordeal, particularly because Bomber and Erick have that exact attitude when they TO.

If the tournament is so big (no exact number, but judge based on your experience), the TO should not attempt to play in their tournament. PingDing was not used to having that many people around and so a bigger tournament was definitely part of his downfall this time around. I'm betting he will have learned from it and try to not make the same mistakes (let's all be real, he's a good guy).

TL;DR (I'm tired of typing this)
I expected Erick to understand that PingDing was probably the least experienced TO at WinterCon; I would have reserved some of my faith in his assumed abilities. TOs should also use logic and decide that the tournament takes precedent over their own desire to play the game that day.

D

Deleted member

I have a tendency to say things in a very ******* manner. I think everything I said is valid but I shouldn't say them so harshly.

also i have no problem making brackets and organizing any tournament im at and my girlfriend said she would be fine with running the bracket as well. so at future tournaments that we attend, that is available. but not knowing ahead of time and having things be messed up already before i take over is not the way i want that to happen.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts to everyone I got to play. This was my second tournament and it was a good time. Shoutouts to Taylor and his gf for taking over the bracket and making sure things worked out. I have to also complain about the melee organization but there's no reason for anyone to get pissed about it let's just try to fix it for the future. Melee also definitely deserved some streaming. Seems like they had the biggest turnout yet even the Grand Finals didn't get a stream.

EDIT: Are the melee brackets not working for anyone else? Not showing up for me.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Shoutouts to everyone I got to play. This was my second tournament and it was a good time. Shoutouts to Taylor and his gf for taking over the bracket and making sure things worked out. I have to also complain about the melee organization but there's no reason for anyone to get pissed about it let's just try to fix it for the future. Melee also definitely deserved some streaming. Seems like they had the biggest turnout yet even the Grand Finals didn't get a stream.

EDIT: Are the melee brackets not working for anyone else? Not showing up for me.
brackets also not working for me on phone or laptop.
also, what is your avatar? been meaning to ask you.
seconding wanting melee to be streamed, several of my friends from different parts of the country wanted to watch the melee stream but obviously couldn't since it didn't happen.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
To erick or bomber: I have a dazzle dvc just collecting dust. I can give it to you guys for free if you promise to stream melee at every tournament. Fair deal? I too want melee streams

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
SHOUTOUTS!!!

Lee: GGs in dubz u will be defeated one day! But not by me of course I'm bad lol.

JNig: Man u were on fire at WinterCon I almost flipped when I heard u 3-0'd Lee in GFs good shizzzzzzzz! Fa real doe you've gotten so much better and there's nowhere for u to go but up just gotta keep at it son ggs!

Sync: Argh your Olimar and MK are to good and dat shield break game 2 >_<. No hate tho it was cool playing/meeting/talking to u and I highly appreciate all the advice u gave me to help me improve my game. GGs and I hope we get to meet en play again someday!

Bman: Get better at dubz son and learn how to DI stuff and learn how to play PSAS instead of just spamming the square button lol.

Facey: GGS IN OUR SETS MAN! CAPS CUZ THEY WERE SO AWESOME! Really doe you're so good at the Sonic MU. You're one of the few MKs in this state that actually knows the MU instead of just spamming nado. It's always so stressful to play u which is why I refused to do it on an empty stomach haha. But I really enjoy playing u and I really hope u start attending tourneys again. Our sets are real nail biters man always so close!

Gunner: GGs man. I feel like we could have done alot better in dubz but I really just wasn't performing my best. I feel like we gave up on Sonic and Pika way to quick in some of those matches. But oh well not to shabby for our first run and if we keep teaming and gaining experience we'll be even better than Espy and Kprime ;).

Tesh: GGs and it was cool meeting/playing u too even tho u were sleep half the time :laugh:. Dat Sheik kinda took me by surprise tho but Sheik sucks so no prob there :awesome:. SAWNIK 4 LYFE

Curlz: GGs and good job at winning PSAS. I suck at that game right now but just gimme a minute I'mma start doing things sooner or later ;).

GGs to everyone else and shoutouts to every other MS player there repping our lifeless state.

Oh and shoutouts to dat pizza it was banging.

Aaaannnddd shoutouts to all the TOs for making this event awesome!

I personally have nothing negative to say. Everything ran smoothly (for Brawl at least), there was a lot of hype, and we did pools which I was very happy about. Only thing I was kinda bummed out about was the lack of attendance but that's not in the TOs hands come gameday. Btw what do ppl think of making the pot split 50/25/15/10 instead of the current one? It's not really a big deal to me but just a suggestion when paying out top 4. Again great event and I'm already hyped for the next one!

Curlz

Smash Lord
Also, here are the characters used for PSAS.

1.Curlz ($33) Evil Cole / Kratos
2.Toi ($16.50) Sweet Tooth
3.Kilswithfang ($5.50) Sly Cooper / Spike
4.Mr. Extradanary - Raiden / Nathan Drake
5.Brawlman - Dante / Ratchet
5.Ragnorak - Good Cole
7.Johnny - Raiden
7.Jangofetsbackapack - Ratchet
7.Deathgod - Big Daddy / Kratos
9.Nickles - Kratos
9.Josh - Nathan Drake

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I like the idea of paying top 4 for future conventions and the special events like PBS and Voodoo Smash.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I talked to erick about it he said it's all right, next time I come to a monthly ya'll will have another capture card

to everyone who wants more melee/64 streams, I got your back. :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Would you guys like us to try and stream finals for all smash games if possible? If so, I'll coordinate with my fellow TOs so that way we can start the net set of finals by the time the previous finals are finished. At least that way, there'd be some sort of stream for the smash games since we won't be able to stream for all games at once.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Would you guys like us to try and stream finals for all smash games if possible? If so, I'll coordinate with my fellow TOs so that way we can start the net set of finals by the time the previous finals are finished. At least that way, there'd be some sort of stream for the smash games since we won't be able to stream for all games at once.
Yea, we should stream/record any time possible. If it's too much trouble to stream other matches, at least get GF of melee

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
Good Stuff rice did you go upp there with zone and Manko? :/

Oh look Lee placed first in brawl. like curlz said, Surprise Surprise lol

Top Bottom