• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer

However you want to look at it, Tetris Attack is the Americanized version of Panel De Pon. Same concept of game, but different characters and such.

Tetris Attack appeared on the Super Nintendo, was developed by Intelligent Systems, and starred none other than the famous Yoshi, among many other co-stars that we (at the time), never heard of. The villain was Bowser, as always.

Many of you (I'm sure) have played the game at some point in your life. I assume it was pretty popular, in my town, anyhow. It had to have been anyway if they released two different versions in Japan and in America.

Here's the list of characters from both games (and please suggest any items, music or your favorite character from the game that you would like in Brawl. And if you don't like any of the ideas at all, please post so.)

TETRIS ATTACK CHARACTERS
Yoshi (Not yet confirmed)
Lakitu
Bumpty
Poochy
Flying Wiggler
Froggy
Gargantua Blargg
Lunge Fish
Raphael Raven
Hookbill Koopa
Naval Piranha
Kamek
Bowser (Not yet confirmed)

PANEL DE PON CHARACTERS
Lip
Windy
Sharbet
Thiana
Ruby
Elias
Flare
Neris
Seren
Phoenix
Dragon
Sanatos
Corderia

I think Lip has a very good chance of being in Brawl. Her infamous "Lip's Stick" was a weapon in Melee, and her name appeared on Sakurai's Poll. I know that doesn't mean she IS in the game, but it definetly raises her chances. Panel De Pon was also remade on the GameCube as a component of Nintendo Puzzle Collection. And did you know? Kirby's "Down B" attack, resembles Lip's garbage block (the pink block.)

parrothead

Smash Lord
I hope many gamers would not make that "girly games suck" attitude on Panel de Pon, because Panel de Pon is more original than Tetris Attack, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge. I know Puzzle League for GBA doesn't have a soul, but it's okay.

Here is the official Japanese webpage:

http://www.intsys.co.jp/game/panepon/

Here are some official artwork:

http://www.intsys.co.jp/game/panepon/p06/index.html

And here are some music files from the SNES/SFC version:

http://www.intsys.co.jp/game/panepon/p0b/index.html

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Corderia's/Bowser's theme is unforgettable. Intense and makes it hard to concentrate when you're losing the game! Superb.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The GCN remake starred the children of the original Panel de Pon cast, including Lip's daughter Furil, who was also mentioned along with Lip on Sakurai's poll (the more you know)

NukeA6

Smash Master
Lip could be interesting. She's never really done much so they're gonna make up moves just like they did with Captain Falcon.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
If you think Lip is a girly character, you haven't noticed Jigglypuff, Pichu or even Peach. I say put Lip and give her the Lip's Stick (they could replace it with another item with the same effect).

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Plus, there are a lack of female characters in the Smash Bros. series, and Lip would be a great addition to the female cast. Originality, and recognition.

And parrot head, can you give me a link to more MP3's? The only files they have (or that I can see) are Phase 1 of each stage (the calm music.) I want to find links to Phase 2 of each stage (the panic music.)

Do you know if I can find any anywhere?

parrothead

Smash Lord
You probably need to have Winamp, SNES Amp, and the Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon .spc file in Zophar's Domain. For MIDI's, go to VG Music, and for remixes, try OC Remix or type "video game remixes" in search engines.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Can you ellaborate on using the .spc file on Zophar's Domain? I heard about that. I've tried Overclocked Remix and I don't want Midi's.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Lip would be such an awesome character to have. SSB does have a lack of (imo good) female characters, much less little female characters ;D. I doubt Lip would make it, but she'd be a great addition nevertheless.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I'm almost 90% sure Lip will appear in Brawl, either as a fighter or simply as a cameo appearance. Let's go over the facts again.

-Her signature item, Lip's Stick was a weapon in Melee.
-Lip appeared on Sakurai's Poll, which probably means several people submitted her as an idea.
-Panel de Pon was popular in Japan as Tetris Attack was popular in America. Two near-identical games.
-There is a lack of female characters in Smash Bros., and Lip would fill in that gap.
-The sequel to Panel de Pon didn't include Lip, but does prove the franchise isn't dead.
-Lip is separate and not related to any other character, which makes her stand out just as Pit and Samus do.
-Kirby transforms into Lip's signature block from Panel de Pon with Down + B.

I'd say her chances are relatively high! (Thanks for reminding me about the last one.)

NukeA6

Smash Master
Kereokacola said:
I'm almost 90% sure Lip will appear in Brawl, either as a fighter or simply as a cameo appearance. Let's go over the facts again.

-Her signature item, Lip's Stick was a weapon in Melee.
-Lip appeared on Sakurai's Poll, which probably means several people submitted her as an idea.
-Panel de Pon was popular in Japan as Tetris Attack was popular in America. Two near-identical games.
-There is a lack of female characters in Smash Bros., and Lip would fill in that gap.
-The sequel to Panel de Pon didn't include Lip, but does prove the franchise isn't dead.
-Lip is separate and not related to any other character, which makes her stand out just as Pit and Samus do.
-Kirby transforms into a Panel de Pon block with his Down B move

I'd say her chances are relatively high!
Added something to the list.

ZaxCG2

Smash Rookie
Well I still have Tetris Attack and it was a great game! VERY fun 2 player I might add.
I'm unsure about lip because I never really heard about Panel de Pon until a while ago... but if its widely excepted in Japan I'm all for that.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lip was mentioned twice, as far as I know, in the letters Sakurai has chosen to show to the public. Panel de Pon itself was mentioned three or four times.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Let's just hope they start releasing more images of other characters soon. If they do, I'm sure they will probably be just of the returning characters... Like Mario or Pikachu. I wouldn't mind seeing some of other past characters, like... hmm... Peach. ;)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Im all for Lip in SSBB. Mostly because of her Lip Stick. She could be weak, but could put flowers on foes heads to increase damage. Also can someone give me a pic of Furil.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I know its Lip's daughter but besides a few minor difference there the same character

Kriegsseele

Smash Apprentice
Panel de Pon?

Never heard of it until today. But I LOVED Tetris Attack. I still play it sometimes (well, I mostly play Pokémon Puzzle League because TA lags way tooo much @_@) :o

OMG! I want Panel de Pon xD *looks it up at ebay*

Well, I support Lip because she looks cute. xP
Sorry, I can't say anything more about her because I don't know that game. :o

NukeA6

Smash Master
Kriegsseele said:
Panel de Pon?

Never heard of it until today. But I LOVED Tetris Attack. I still play it sometimes (well, I mostly play Pokémon Puzzle League because TA lags way tooo much @_@) :o

OMG! I want Panel de Pon xD *looks it up at ebay*

Well, I support Lip because she looks cute. xP
Sorry, I can't say anything more about her because I don't know that game. :o
If you like Tetris Attack, you automatically like Panel de Pon. They're the same thing just a different appearance.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Ryoko, is it still called Panel de Pon, and appears on a game called Nintendo Classics Collection? I would like to own it.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

Here is the opening of the GCN version of Panel De Pon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI9EoRsjDy8

Here is the gameplay of the Pokemon Puzzle League version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvPDwF3mIQg

Here is Furil VS. Think in the GCN version of Panel De Pon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-WvgwITLs

Here is the gameplay of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KW2jx0fU1s

Here is the gameplay of the GBA version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNCT35_v6A

And here are other Panel De Pon videos search on YouTube.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Gaaah! There are too many great Japan-only characters, and Sakurai said that he's only using a few. It's not fair. :( Lip would be great in Brawl, and the fact that Lip's Stick was in Melee might just raise her chances.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah I mean addin a characters item but not addin the character is dum, so Im sure they'll add her this time, in brawl...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Here is the official artwork for Lip:

I figure that since the only pic there is of Lip here so far is just a shot from the title screen, we could use it.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
None taken. That was the only pic of Lip I could find. I don't mind that Parrothead had a better one. The more the merrier, right?

icymatt

Smash Lord
Already did!

B=Garbage Block -Causes a garbage block to fall from the sky and smash opponents in front of her.

<>B=Petal Dance -A circle of petals forms around Lip, and those hit by it get an energy-draining flower.

/\B=Petal Wind -A flower appears beneath Lip and she spins upward in a tornado of petals.

\/B=Floral Launch -Creates a flower bud on the ground in front of her that closes on an opponent and then blasts them in the direction you hold.

Super: A large number of garbage blocks rain over the field (X100 Chain?).

Lip would be fun. It would be even better if she was a great character, because it would challenge the masculinity of so many players.

Top Bottom