• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Little Mac for SSBB" Thread (SNES Mac, not NES)

parrothead

Smash Lord

Special Moves:

B: Knockout Punch (Sends an opponent a powerful punch. Not as powerful as DK's Wind-Up Punch nor Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, but almost as powerful as Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch. This was used in the SNES Super Punch-Out!!.)

Forward+B: Rapid Punch (Faster and a bit more powerful than any other's rapid attacks. If someone shields against Mac's Rapid Punch, he'll stop for a very short time. This was used in the SNES Super Punch-Out!!.)

Down+B: Counter Punch (If Mac uses this attack right before his opponent begins to attack, the opponent will pause for a short time, giving Mac a chance to KO or severely damage his opponent. This was used in the SNES Super Punch-Out!!.)

Up+B: Corkscrew Uppercut (Jumps up in the air while sending a rapidly-spinning punch upward. Can also be used while in the air.)

OR

Up+B: Right Hook (Based on the Right Hook move from the Punch-Out!! arcades, as well as the "Star Punch" or "Jumping Uppercut" from the NES versions. Jumps up in the air while sending a fast right hook. Can also be used while in the air for recovery.)

Extreme Attack: Power Agility (Just like in the Punch-Out!! arcades and the SNES Super Punch-Out!!. Little Mac becomes faster and a bit more powerful than before for a short time.)

Taunt: Raises his left fist up and shouts "RIGHT ON!", just like in this picture.

Entrance: Puts on his boxing gear (just like he did in the SNES Super Punch-Out!! opening).

Videos of SNES Super Punch-Out!!

This thread is to let the SNES Mac compete against the NES Mac, BUT PLEASE DON'T DISCUSS ABOUT THE NES VERSION TOO MUCH. Here are some reasons why I believe the blonde-haired Little Mac (SNES Super Punch-Out!!) has a higher chance at entering than the black-haired one (Two NES Punch-Out!! titles):

• If Kirby copied the black-haired one, he won't look as good as if he copied the blonde-haired one, because of the hair-do.
  • He has a better winning taunt, which is when he raises his left fist in the air and shouts "RIGHT ON!"
  • He has more moves than the black-haired one.
  • He reappeared in EA's Fight Night Round 2, while his name was revealed by Nintendo (not EA). This probably means that the blonde-haired Little Mac is who Nintendo prefers more than the black-haired one.
  • SNES Super Punch-Out!! closely matches the two Punch-Out!! arcades more than the NES ones.
  • Blonde-haired Little Mac has an entrance of his own, which is the same one from the opening of the SNES Super Punch-Out!!
  • Most characters shown in the SSBB trailer are modernized editions. Pit's look is mostly based on the front cover of the Game Boy Kid Icarus than the NES/Famicom Disk one does.

Many of you would still believe the black-haired Little Mac would enter, because he and the NES Punch-Out!! titles are more popular.

The protagonist for both arcade versions (and the Arm Wrestling spin-off) is unknown, but he could be related to Little Mac.

Major reasons why the NES version is popular:

|1.| He has a coach.
|2.| He's in a YTMND fad.
|3.| He's the protagonist of the most popular Punch-Out!! game.
|4.| He's the protagonist of the first home console Punch-Out!! title.
|5.| He faced against Mike Tyson.

And major reasons why the SNES version is popular:

|1.| He has more moves than before.
|2.| He looks easier to recognize.
|3.| His winning taunt is greater than before. "RIGHT ON!"
|4.| He appeared in 3D in EA's Fight Night Round 2.
|5.| He can face more than one real-life boxer in Fight Night Round 2.

I don't know why they modified Little Mac's look, but probably because it's related to a missing storyline, which probably means that after Little Mac knocked out Mr. Dream and won a lot of money, he spend his money for a new hair-do, a facial surgery, and better clothes to make him look good enough in his opinion.

And what about the other boxers (excluding Mike Tyson and including Mr. Dream)? Some of them probably retired or quit boxing and moved on to something else. For a serious example, Glass Joe became a boxing coach at his own boxing gym. Then he met a pretty old boxer name Gabby Jay, and while they fought each other, Gabby Jay knocked out Glass Joe and graduated to move on to fight other boxers, but he never won a single match ever since he fought Glass Joe.

In a GamePro magazine, I saw a screenshot of the SNES Super Punch-Out!! prototype, which showed Little Mac with a different look, before they made him have blonde-hair. It looked similar to this image below, but the face looked more like Inuyasha's or Joey's (Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters):

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Maybe they would alter his image again to make him look more anime-ish, like Pit. Personally I don't like his current look.

Ladies and Gentelmen, he is not pimpin.

parrothead

Smash Lord
EA didn't develop him really well in Fight Night Round 2. The 2D sprite looks better, click here to see it in one of my YTMNDs that was made before Nintendo revealed the name, Wii.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Chidosengen posting those pics pretty much convinced me that NES Mac needs to be in over SNES Mac...2d NES Mac still looks better than 2d SNES Mac to me anyway.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
parrothead said:
EA didn't develop him really well in Fight Night Round 2. The 2D sprite looks better, click here to see it in one of my YTMNDs that was made before Nintendo revealed the name, Wii.
Dude, That DBZ-style Lil' Mac sprite doesn't impress me. He looks like a went a little Super saiyen(Or however the **** you spell it) on us. Yes it does look better, but not by much, and if EA's Fight night-mac is anything close to what SSBB mac will look like (Bugged-out eyes, fish-lips, Ginormous forehead) then I won't wanna play him just because he looks creepy.

I want Little Mac in. I want him in so much it hurts, but I want the Little Mac of my childhood. I want a Little Mac who's... Y'know... Little. The one that fights enemies twice his size and still comes out on top. The one who wears the Black tank top and the Green boots and trunks. Even if they do decide to make him blond, at least make him not so "Kill it with fire" like he is in the EA version, or don't make him so badass like he is on the SNES. With the SNES guy of COURSE he could take on Mr. Dream and still be standing, with the NES guy you're like "Oh no! Mr. Dream! How am I gonna do this?" and it makes you feel awesome when you finally do it and win.

It's a Nostalgia thing, but it's also a cosmetic thing, and a thing about character and who Mac really is, and what he fits best like. Super Sayin Badass, or Tiny dark horse scrapper from Brooklyn.

parrothead said:
Here is another picture of him:

Kill it with fire!! Those eyes! they burn into my soul! Is this REALLY how the Japanese view us? Cocky, Blond-haired, Buggy-eyed guys?

burrito

Smash Lord
Of course, they are going to do a better job 3D-izing him in SSBB than EA with Fight Night. It seems that they always use the most current version of the character in Smash Brothers, so that's why I believe it will be blonde haired Little Mac.

parrothead

Smash Lord
You sound like a ******, dotdotdot!. The SNES version doesn't look much like a Super-Saiyan, because it's just a couple of cow licks, Super-Saiyans have spiked, blonde-hair. The NES Little Mac looks so dorky, even his winning taunt is. He looks similar to Shaggy (Scooby-Doo) and Butt-Head (Beavis & Butt-Head). If Nintendo and Sakurai tries to add the black-haired Little Mac, it might cause a copyright nightmare, because of Mike Tyson, eventhough they released the Mr. Dream version, they probably still wouldn't do it. Nintendo probably abandoned the black-haired and decided to use the blonde-haired instead. Ya'll are just like those who want Jumpman more than Mario.

Also, here is the SNES version's moveset:

B: Super Punch (Sends an opponent a powerful punch.)

Forward+B: Rapid Punch (Moves the same way Marth and Roy use their Forward+B moves, but with punching action.)

Down+B: Counter Punch (Guards himself, then when someone or something hits him, he sends out a punch.)

Up+B: Air Uppercut (Jumps up in the air while sending a punch upward. Can also be used while in the air.)

Extreme Attack: Power Agility (Just like in the Punch-Out!! arcades and the SNES Super Punch-Out!!. Little Mac becomes faster and a bit more powerful than before for a short time.)

Taunt: Raises his left fist up and shouts "RIGHT ON!", just like in this picture.

Entrance: Puts on his boxing gear (just like he did in the SNES Super Punch-Out!! opening).

burrito

Smash Lord
I really don't think there needs to be a seperate SNES Little Mac and NES Little Mac thread. I know they have cosmetic differences, but thy'r ereally the same character. Why don't we keep this arguement to one thread?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
parrothead said:
You sound like a ******, dotdotdot!. The SNES version doesn't look much like a Super-Saiyan, because it's just a couple of cow licks, Super-Saiyans have spiked, blonde-hair. The NES Little Mac looks so dorky, even his winning taunt is. He looks similar to Shaggy (Scooby-Doo) and Butt-Head (Beavis & Butt-Head). If Nintendo and Sakurai tries to add the black-haired Little Mac, it might cause a copyright nightmare, because of Mike Tyson, eventhough they released the Mr. Dream version, they probably still wouldn't do it. Nintendo probably abandoned the black-haired and decided to use the blonde-haired instead. Ya'll are just like those who want Jumpman more than Mario.

Also, here is the SNES version's moveset:

B: Super Punch (Sends an opponent a powerful punch.)

Forward+B: Rapid Punch (Moves the same way Marth and Roy use their Forward+B moves, but with punching action.)

Down+B: Counter Punch (Guards himself, then when someone or something hits him, he sends out a punch.)

Up+B: Air Uppercut (Jumps up in the air while sending a punch upward. Can also be used while in the air.)

Mike Tyson doesn't own the NES version of Little Mac. If he did, he would then own the SNES version, because they are the same character. The only way they could even START to incur MT's wrath is if they try to include his likeness in the game, which they are not stupid enough to try and pull.

Also, I say Super saiyan, but really, I'm looking at his face more than anything. those big eyes and his facial structure is very VERY similar to a character from DBZ. The blond hair is a trivial part of that; a bonus, if you will.

Yes, NES little Mac was dorky, that was why he was charming. He was this dorky, underdog, 90 pound weakling from Brooklyn, who somehow worked his way up the the Heavyweight championships and defeated Mr. Dream (At this point, Mike Tyson has been Retconned), with the help of Doc Louis. He was, cheesy as this sounds, a uniqely American character archetype, "the underdog that rises to the top." It's what movies like Rocky and the Karate Kid are based on.

The SNES Mac has no such character. He's a product of a Japanese vision of the American Boxer as a hard-bodied bad***, and is missing out on Little Mac's thematic origins in the Rocky movies. That isn't true to what Little Mac was about. Also, if I may, (I have nothing against anime, or Akira Toriyama, or anything) the SNES version looks like something Akira Toriyama drew on a bet, or when he was drunk.

It's not the color of his hair, but the design of the character that bothers me. If they made him over again with a little less bulk, a more natural-looking face, and WAY less cocky attitude, then I wouldn't mind as much. The Blond hair might even fit him to tell the truth(Link didn't have Blond hair until OoT, he was Brown haired up til then), but as he stands, I would rather have my beloved 90 pound weakling then that empty husk of an anime hero on the SNES.

(I hope I've explained my position enough, I don't want to be seen as a Negative Nancy. I still want Mac in, I just want the vision of Mac that I can look back on and smile at, not one that makes me cringe every time I think back to it.)

(Also, going back to the Original Post. I don't think SNES Mac is any easier to recognise than NES Mac. In fact I'd say more people could recognise NES Mac. Then again, I could be wrong.)

Oh, and I like your moveset. It's simple and effective.

burrito

Smash Lord
I think you're both missing the point of why it's going to be SNES Little MAC . It's not about the "content of his character" or anything like that. It's about which character is most current. Maybe if they have a Punch Out for the Wii, they'll add the version of Little Mac from that. Or maybe they'll just make a new version of him for Brawl, like they did with Pit.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
burrito said:
I think you're both missing the point of why it's going to be SNES Little MAC . It's not about the "content of his character" or anything like that. It's about which character is most current. Maybe if they have a Punch Out for the Wii, they'll add the version of Little Mac from that. Or maybe they'll just make a new version of him for Brawl, like they did with Pit.
I know! And thats what makes me so angry!

My best hope is that they somehow combine the best parts of the two little Macs, or redesign him altogether to make him a little less... of what he is right now. I'll even let you keep the blond hair, as long as the Little Mac is the same Little Mac I know and love.

Also, sorry if I got a little too smart for my own good there. I do that when I get angry.

parrothead

Smash Lord
burrito said:
But Pit was mostly based on the artwork on the front cover of the Game Boy Kid Icarus. Also, the blonde-haired was mostly designed for the Japanese audience, while the black-haired and green-haired (which is probably not Little Mac) were designed mostly for the American audience.

burrito

Smash Lord
Personally, I like blonde haired Little Mac, but that's probably because SNES Punch-out was the first one I played and still like to play. I've only ever played NES Punch-out once in Animal Crossing.

parrothead said:
But Pit was mostly based on the artwork on the front cover of the Game Boy Kid Icarus.
DO you have a link to that?
Also, the blonde-haired was mostly designed for the Japanese audience, while the black-haired and green-haired (which is probably not Little Mac) were designed mostly for the American audience.
I'm not sure what this has to do with the arguement, but I do find that hard to believe.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Little Mac is all fine and dandy, but I think SSBB should include the REAL superstar of the Punch Out Series.

The great, the all powerful King Hippo!!

parrothead

Smash Lord
burrito said:
Personally, I like blonde haired Little Mac, but that's probably because SNES Punch-out was the first one I played and still like to play. I've only ever played NES Punch-out once in Animal Crossing.
I played the NES version once or twice when I was in Elementary. Then, when I first played the SNES version, it was about as tough as the NES version, but better. I've never have played the arcade versions, the Mr. Dream version, nor the GCN version of Fight Night Round 2, but I've also played the Game & Watch spin-off called Boxing, which was also released as Punch-Out!!..

burrito said:
DO you have a link to that?
Just type in "Game Boy Kid Icarus" in Google or Yahoo!, then click on "Images".

burrito said:
I'm not sure what this has to do with the arguement, but I do find that hard to believe.
Genyo Takeda, the creator of all Punch-Out!! titles, also created the StarTropics franchise, which was also mostly designed for the American audience.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Destruction_King said:
Little Mac is all fine and dandy, but I think SSBB should include the REAL superstar of the Punch Out Series.

The great, the all powerful King Hippo!!
You watch too many cartoons :laugh:

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
...so like...why don't they just have the blonde lil' mac as a character........and have his hair black as an alternate costume? duh.
kinna like how peach turns into daisy.

yea, lil mac is cool..and i'm positive he'll be in brawl...but there's no use in arguing which "version" of him should be in.
personally i would prefer him w/ dark hair(just because there are too many blondes already)
Take Peach and Link for example....two blondes. Peach used to have Red hair...and link used to have brown. =(
I hate how everybody goes blonde...

hm...but cocky, strong, and blonde is a FINE stereotype for americans...i much perfer it over being stupidly overweight, lazy, and uneducated ANYday.
Go-go Guile B)

Eric the Lone

Smash Journeyman
Cyphus said:
...so like...why don't they just have the blonde lil' mac as a character........and have his hair black as an alternate costume? duh.
kinna like how peach turns into daisy.

yea, lil mac is cool..and i'm positive he'll be in brawl...but there's no use in arguing which "version" of him should be in.
personally i would prefer him w/ dark hair(just because there are too many blondes already)
Take Peach and Link for example....two blondes. Peach used to have Red hair...and link used to have brown. =(
I hate how everybody goes blonde...

hm...but cocky, strong, and blonde is a FINE stereotype for americans...i much perfer it over being stupidly overweight, lazy, and uneducated ANYday.
Go-go Guile B)

Thank you, Cyphus. People have been saying both Macs can be costumes for ages, but people just like to argue about nothing I guess.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yeah, he kind of reminds me of Chuckie from the movies: ugly with a messed up face.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'd rather have the SNES Mac than NES Mac. Though he looks hideous in Fight Night.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I kinda hope Little Mac is in so we can have some new classes of characters. We don't have any boxers. We also could use some robots and samurais. ;)

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Now that I think about it, it makes sense why he turned out that way. He couldn't be skinny like he was in the game or he wouldn't fit well in Fight Night.

They had to make him fatter, and look at his face, it isn't that different. He still has a small,pointed nose which I think is the reason he looks so weird. He's suppose to be a big strong boxing guy but then he has that tiny nose...I don't know but it isn't a big difference.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Master said:
I kinda hope Little Mac is in so we can have some new classes of characters. We don't have any boxers. We also could use some robots and samurais. ;)
Boxer=Little Mac
Robot=Ray MKII
Samurai=Takamaru

I also don't really care for Little Mac's style in Brawl. Before the E3, we could have been arguing about Pit's design, between the Kid Icarus for GB style or the Melee trophy style. But they created a fresh design based from both, and everyone loves it. So, if Mac makes the cut, I know Sakurai team won't let us down and they will give us greatness ^_^.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Don't forget about Harry from Teleroboxer, he's a robot AND boxes. I want a character who uses his fists only, I think that'd be interesting so Little Mac(NES) would be a great addition.

As for samurai, I don't care because there are swordsmen I want that aren't samurai.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Tomasiarity said:
Boxer=Little Mac
Robot=Ray MKII
Samurai=Takamaru

I also don't really care for Little Mac's style in Brawl. Before the E3, we could have been arguing about Pit's design, between the Kid Icarus for GB style or the Melee trophy style. But they created a fresh design based from both, and everyone loves it. So, if Mac makes the cut, I know Sakurai team won't let us down and they will give us greatness ^_^.
They were the characters I was hinting at. =P

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Tomasiarity said:
Amen, my brother.

parrothead

Smash Lord
In the SNES Super Punch-Out!!, it showed the names of his moves, but only three of them were shown: Super Punch, Rapid Punch, and Counter Punch.

Here are the descriptions of the three moves used in the SNES title:

Super Punch: Slow, but powerful. Can also be used quickly, but it will give your opponent less damage.

Rapid Punch: Rapidly punches, but doesn't last long.

AND

Counter Punch: When your opponent is about to punch, give them a punch before they do.

I made up the Air Uppercut move. That name sounds original, but I heard people used to refer to the black-haired Little Mac's Super Punch, "the Jumping Uppercut", which showed him jumping while using his uppercut.

I'm not sure if a boxer would fit in SSBB, eventhough there are a couple of boxers in the Street Fighter franchise: Balrog (known as Mike Bison in Japan) and Dudley.

If the blonde-haired Little Mac doesn't enter, then many diehard Punch-Out!!/Nintendo fans would still not believe he is Little Mac.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Little mac would be a great addition to smash bros. franchise because he could add more originality to the series. He would have a variety of punching moves including super uppercuts and devasting hooks and starights. Chances are he won't be in the game but it would be great if he was

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Here's some PROs to Little Mac:

-He's a boxer. Every fighting game needs one or has one already. He can focus exclusively on fighting with his fists.
-He's from a very very popular franchise series, that has taken cult status in the West in particular, hence giving Sakurai his "I want to please everybody everywhere, not just Japanese" choice
-The franchise has been semi revived, as the SNES Little Mac appears in Fight Night on the GameCube, and the WarioWare games have been featuring Punch-Out themed microgames
-It's a nostalgic series, adding to Smash Bros. "retros and n00bs" appeal

Here's some CONs to Little Mac:

-Not as easily recognizable to newer gamers (basically anyone under 18 XD)
-Punch-Out itself has not gotten a new title in over a decade
-Boxers can be a bit generic and unpopular in fighting games. Who the hell plays as Prince Doza? (I do! :laugh:) Or Balrog?
-The in-house development team that made the Punch-Out games now works on hardware for Nintendo, not software

PERSONALLY, I want him in. And I feel that he's in already. Strongly. 100%. He just represents too much to the Nintendo, and older gaming, audience to be neglected.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
FlipTroopa said:
-Boxers can be a bit generic and unpopular in fighting games. Who the hell plays as Prince Doza? (I do! :laugh:) Or Balrog?
What'choo talkin' bout. Dudley is one of my favorite characters in SF3. Rose-taunt damage ftw.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Grizz Lee said:
He looks like Brian Peppers.
You have been seeing too many YTMNDs about that sick b*s*a*d! The SNES Little Mac doesn't look much like a Super-Saiyan nor a child molester. Ya'll have dirty minds, and that's bad.

I have a strong feeling that Sakurai would choose the SNES Little Mac over the other two boxers, because he has more colors. And if you think the NES Little Mac appeared in WarioWare Inc. for GBA, then I believe that is incorrect, because that Punch-Out!! micro game was mostly based on the Arcade versions.

Top Bottom