• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are the diffferences between Docto Mario and Mario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
There are several, but these are the ones that are the most noticeable to me.

Mario's cape lags WAY more. It's better for recovery but pretty much nothing else compared to the "super sheet", especially Doc's lower hitbox (easier to catch sweetspotters)
Mario's fireballs have a wacky trajectory and way less knockback.
Fsmash is weaker, and does weak hits on the wrist. At least the range is nicer.
His b-up has more hitboxes, but seems to be more horizontal and less vertical than docs (not sure on this one?)
Fair is a meteor spike instead of KO move for Doc. Both are useful in their own respect.
Mario is a bit faster.

I'm sure there are way more but these are the differences that always make me ***** and john when I play Mario.

Der Meister

Smash Cadet
doc's moves are abit slower but only by a few frames, to me it doesnt matter because his power, KO potential, and pills ( not to mention he wears black :) )GREATLY outway his few frames of slower attack speed.

Doc is just better, plus hes my secondary and trust me hes much cooler

Velocity

Smash Lord
why doesnt anyone care about the differences ne way play who you like or your good with and if you wanna get good with someone check out a guide and practice theres a million of these threads and mario isnt faster except at doing certain moves like a,a,a ect corect me if im wrong

Gea

Smash Master
He has about two frames less lag on shffls. Mario isn't worse than Doc in every way... like launching, Mario is better. They are mostly just different.

Dark Bowser

Smash Cadet
1. Dr. Mario is slower
2. Dr. Mario's attacks have more chance of inflicting higher damage
3. Dr. Mario's cape is longer lengthwise
4. Dr. Mario's pills are teh ****.

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
Guys you got it all wrong Docs cape is longer and Marios is wider, a few moves are different between the 2. And for the record Regular Mario is faster his up tilt knuckle juggles people for combos and Doc's kinda pushes opponents up and out great move on the edge. Also the the down tilt sweep again Mario's moves tend to pop you above him on the other hand Doc' sweep reverses you behind him good for following up with a back boot. The differences are subtle but there their.

flaco

The Terminator
Well the pills are different marios pills sre anoying but docs pills are worse they stun you and stop any of your move your were making or trying to do.Doc is much better that mario also mario has less pority that doc.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
...Jaskolski, "Longer" and "Wider" both describe the cape in the same way.

Dr. Mario's is taller, and not as long as Mario's. Mario's cape is longer, but not as tall as Dr. Mario's. This is especially noticable when trying to cape sweetspot attempts.
Can we get someone with AR to post pictures of hitboxes?

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
...Jaskolski, "Longer" and "Wider" both describe the cape in the same way.

Dr. Mario's is taller, and not as long as Mario's. Mario's cape is longer, but not as tall as Dr. Mario's. This is especially noticable when trying to cape sweetspot attempts.
Can we get someone with AR to post pictures of hitboxes?
Dude no offence but you sound stupid saying that, Marios cape is shorter and wider, it covers the width of his whole body, Doc's isnt as wide but it comes out longer than Marios. Make sure you know what your taking about before posting anything. Ya hear

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/long

"Long in horizontal dimension is usually said wide.
Long in the positive vertical dimension is usually said tall. "

I guess I'm just predispositioned to correlate "longer" with horizontal distance. I don't hear height being referred to as "long" very often at all, but I guess it is a pretty vague adjective no matter what.

Doc's cape is taller, mario's is wider :)

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
I guess your not understading very well when i discribe it as "longer" width and length are very specific when discribing a dimension dont know how you get them mixed up. Just to make myself perfectly clear height is the same as width you'd know that if you went to school long or length wise is self explainatory doc's cape is longer marios is wider

TheAceOfSmash

Smash Apprentice
I know a lot of people who wouldn't look so deeply at the differences. *points at self* Me included. But despite that, I'm fully aware of the differences. I have to, becuase Mario and Dr.Mario are the character I use (Mario being my secondary). But the basic difference is that Dr.Mario is a slower, more powerful variation of Mario in this game. Same with other characters. Falco-Fox, Roy-Marth, Young Link-Link, Ganondorf-C.Falcon (Pikachu-Pichu not so sure). It's variations like these combined with the characters abilities that have different results when it comes to smashing. They're not just cheap copies. I favor Dr.Mario because his fighting style works better for me.

Dr.Marioboy

Smash Rookie
Personally the most influential difference is the different trajectory of his pills as compared to marios fireballs,im sure to most people its just a small thing but i find it really helpful to make a wall of pills and have that time to anticipate what they're going to do.
It's really helpfull against speedy characters.

TheAceOfSmash

Smash Apprentice
Personally the most influential difference is the different trajectory of his pills as compared to marios fireballs,im sure to most people its just a small thing but i find it really helpful to make a wall of pills and have that time to anticipate what they're going to do.
It's really helpfull against speedy characters.
Not just that, the power of the MegaVitamins can be used to cancel out and counter your opponent's attacks (Even Ganondorf) and it can give you a opening for a combo attack.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
doc's cape is actually wider than mario's, but it curves back and actually hit from behind doc, it's hard and very rare for it to happen but it can, and doc has an overall better reach than mario, and mario's moves are faster, but doc doesn't grunt as much, which is good because it doesn't let the opponent know the attack as far ahead of time

ashestoashes500

Smash Cadet
dr. mario can dish more dmg
Dr.Mario is slower but not that much
dr. mario has an upward up b when mario has a further range it seems

all in all both are great. Speed or paitence depends on whose playing

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
The differences seem pretty big to me. Dr mario's Fair kills, his Bair sends them way further, and his smashes are stronger, and you just can't compare pills to fireballs.

Mario has a hard time killing with his Bair, although its longer, The Fair is useless as a KO move but is great for setups, his Utilt juggles people upwards, overall, I think dr mario is better in the most significant ways with mario having just minor advantages.

It just goes to show education is important... Being a doctor just pays out more than being a plumber *throws pill in the air*.

Oh yeah... the major difference and the reason that I use mario... his Y ending stance *shoots fire from his hand at the screen*

cool utilt and way better Dair than doc. =p.

CraZy

Smash Rookie
well my oppinion, Dr mario is a bit more slow but he do more dmg...im using very more the cape with dr because with mario, its to fast... its sure the pills dont go in horizontal but there is alot of techniques tu find out how to hit people with them.

TheAceOfSmash

Smash Apprentice
well my oppinion, Dr mario is a bit more slow but he do more dmg...im using very more the cape with dr because with mario, its to fast... its sure the pills dont go in horizontal but there is alot of techniques tu find out how to hit people with them.
There are. But you have to know your terrain. Hyrule Temple is the most fun place for me to use MegaVitamin combos.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Mario has a better recovery and a longer ranged F smash too. If it didn't have to be sweetspotted then it would pwn Doc's F smash.
Oh yeah, it does have more range, but the problem is landing it. Sure you might get the occasional oppertunity depending on their level to wave dash back and fsmash... but more often than not, ur going to have to conncet it with something. Fast fallers, you can throw up and fsmash... (but doc couldve done it with even more knock back also), and the Dsmash comes out faster and docs is stronger, so you get that option of Jab, Dsmash still making doc a better KO character, and doc's bair is just ridicouslously better making up for the range mario has (so at high percentages, instead of throwing up, you throw out of the stage). A lot of people just aren't going to die from the throw if they DI well so Doc's strong bair really helps.

In the end, it is a matter of opinion, With marios Dair, i can do stuff like Dair diagonally into a character turn around and grab or drill them in the air and fsmash, and its really fun upper cutting people and the Uair's make the enemies react differently, but I still think doc comes out on top. Really makes mario's life easier.

CraZy

Smash Rookie
There are. But you have to know your terrain. Hyrule Temple is the most fun place for me to use MegaVitamin combos.
sure i agree that but when ur playing in hyrule temple in 1vs1 its bored as little to go get to other all time...

flaco

The Terminator
lol well is just that simple doc is better that doc overall let say better pills better recovery,better cap and more thats all.Also I like doc better that mario but mario is a lower tier charecter doc is higer tier lol.The tier list dont matter is all about skill thats all.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Main reason I main Doc:

Pills, Fair, and Fsmash.

Mario's got the longer reach, but I happen to prefer Doc's smash since it's almost garunteed a KO. His Bair is surprisingly devastating, and I've been trying to incorporate it into my game. They're so different.

TheAceOfSmash

Smash Apprentice
Main reason I main Doc:

Pills, Fair, and Fsmash.

Mario's got the longer reach, but I happen to prefer Doc's smash since it's almost garunteed a KO. His Bair is surprisingly devastating, and I've been trying to incorporate it into my game.
Turning your back to your opponent seems easy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom