• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MINI-WWYP: Feel the Beat (Contest closed! Judging now in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Sorry for the delay in making this topic. I've been at home and Internet access has been extremely limited. Also, I wanted to finish up a story to serve as a better example for exactly what I expect out of this mini edition of WWYP (and I just finished!). That's right, we're not quite on to WWYP4 yet because of delays (read: Scav), but that shouldn't stop us from doing a little somethin' somethin' in the meantime.

The prompt:
In UNDER 2500 words, you have until January 5th to write a story that completely captures the essence of a song of your choice. When making a topic, use the following format for the title:

[MINI-WWYP] Pollen and Salt

(click the link to read the story)

"Pollen and Salt" is a song by a band named Daphne Loves Derby, and the lyrics can be found here. As you can see, I split the story into three parts, each one focusing on the line in the stanza about "reds and blues and greens." Also obvious (and perhaps to a degree of corniness) is that I ended my story with the last line in the song. There is a consistent theme in the story of silence and longing, as suggested in the song, and I even referenced holding my breath metaphorically in more ways than one. These are just a few examples of the ways in which I tried to incoporate elements of the song into the narrative, but they should give you a good idea of the sort of thing the judges will be looking for.

For the judges' convenience, please tell us the name of the artist and provide a link to the song's lyrics in the same post containing your story. As always, signing up isn't necessary. Simply post a new topic to enter this contest.

Judging this MINI competition will be me, demoncaterpie, and Virgilijus. Just like in the past competitions, we will be giving you feedback to help you improve, and the first place winner will get to join the Smash Writers (orange name, feather icon).

--------------------------------

And the following are the judging categories and what is meant by each (total of 45 points; scoring regimen subject to change):

Adherence to Prompt - 10 pts
Matt - Simply put: if you follow the stipulations of the prompt appropriately, then you will be rewarded. Suppose the prompt calls for a protagonist with OCD. What you should do is make a point to show us that the character has OCD by making him adjust pictures on the wall in mid conversation or constantly trying to part his hair perfectly while wrestling an alligator. If your character just tucks in his shirt once and there are no other clear implications of his OCD, you will not be given many points. Let the prompt guide your story. Also, if your story does not fall within the designated word count, you will not earn as many points.

Scav - 1 means you didn't follow it at all. 3 means you had all the necessary work, but didn't expand on the prompt at all, or didnt use it in an interesting way. 5 means I wish I'd thought of that.

Spelling and Grammar - 5 pts
Matt - Use spell check, people! It saves lives.

Scav - It should be easy to get 5 points here. 5 means there were no spelling errors and no obviously incorrect grammar. Awkward phrasing is a style issue, so grammar involves stuff like tense changes, incorrect subject/verb agreement, etc. 3 means I always got what you meant, but had to do extra work because of mistakes.

Characterization - 10 pts
Matt - We're not asking for some super dynamic transformation from a short story character, but what we would like to see are characters who are well developed and believable. In general, avoid the three C's: corny clichéd conventions! The combination of all three is a killer.

Scav - 3 means the characters worked. They were solid archetypes or decently fleshed out, and I felt some amount of empathy. 5 means they were either fully unique, or I could really see them as a real member of our world.

Style - 15 pts
Matt - How creative are you? Is your story structured coherently? Is your plot the least bit interesting? What makes the events you're writing about immediate and interesting? This category is the sum of all things that makes your writing style unique and worthwhile. Style can make or break any writer, and it's the key component in a short story contest.

Scav - This is the most "x-factor" of the categories. It involves word choice, symbolism, plot structure, and the execution of imagery. How much "oomph" do the words have. This does not involve thematic elements so much as how the thematic elements are described.

Plot - 5 pts:
Matt - The important thing to remember about plot (and about good story writing in general) is that everything that happens must in some way relate to the central idea and carry the story forward in a manner that can only be described as compelling. Ask yourself about every single sentence and paragraph "Is this necessary?" The more your story speaks "necessity," the more points you'll get in the plot area.

Scav - The ostensible material of the story. How does the story carry you forward? Does it hold your interest? Plot structure is involved somewhat, though that is more of a style issue. Do the events of the story and the conflict of characters interest you? 3 means I would read the story again. 5 means I couldn't put it down. 3 times.

Theme - 5 pts:
Matt - Theme is very important, but more important than theme is subtlety. Don't preach, but don't muddle. And, in general, we're looking for meaning and subtext, not shallowness and banality.

Scav - The "aboutness" of the story. Sure, my story was about the ordeals of Matt as he was trapped inside an ever changing painting, with each and every painting ending with him getting sodomized by a mysterious figure. It was about how he escaped, only to realize it was someone painting his escape, and he is faced with a new blank canvas. But the story is about Matt's sexual repression, how he deals with it, and the lessons he must learn. It's about the lack of morals in his life before becoming trapped in the painting. I wrote the story because I wanted it to be about the rigors of anal sex. And Matt. 3 means it got me thinking. 5 means it kept me thinking, even after I fnished.

---------------------------------

The following are things I noticed (mistakes, weak points, confusions, things of that nature) in a number of the writer's stories. Many people lost points from me for style and spelling/grammar for these things, so take the following into consideration if you want to maximize your score (and if you just care about improving as a writer):

Tips from Matt

Improper Comma Usages

When two clauses are separated by a conjunction, there must be a comma. You could argue that omitting the comma is a matter of style, but I've read enough essays from my peers and younger writers to know that this mistake is repeated constantly in academic writing as well. Do you see what I did there? When I say "clauses" I'm referring to the fact that both sides of the sentence in question can be made into two complete sentences.

For example: "I bought a hooker, and my wife disapproved."

Also note that two cluases with the same subject don't need a comma, and often the subject is simply ommitted the second time.

For example: "Hookers are a tasty treat and (hookers) smell like bacon."

"Upon" instead of "On"

These two words mean almost the exact same thing, however, using "upon" in every single instance instead of "on" makes you look just plain full of yourself. This isn't even a matter of British vs. American english, it's just a matter of blanantly attempting to sound more intelligent by adding two letters that aren't necessary. Also, grammatically, you cannot use "upon" to mean "on" in every case. When talking about a relationship between two things, "upon" cannot be used.

For example: "Give me all the money on (never "upon") the counter or else granny here will taste hot lead."

Simple Proofreading

I shouldn't even have to say this, but the amount of confusion between words like "their," "they're, and "there" and between "its" and "it's" is astounding. The fact is that we know the differences; it's just easy to make the mistakes and not even notice them ourselves. Whatever you're writing and for whatever purpose, have someone else proofread. You'll be surprised at all the mistakes you missed. Don't feel bad about it, because the vast majority of writers are in the same boat. Is it any wonder why editors are so well paid?

The Moment Before

Most writers do have a sense of immenence. Just look at today's entertainment and how fast-paced and thrilling and OH MY GOD everything's about to EXPLODE and we have TEN SECONDS before we shoot this hostage! That's entertaining enough, however, good storytelling paints a believable image of the "moment before." No, that doesn't mean expository exactly; it just means justifying why your characters are in the position that they are and why what's going on is important now. Young writers tend to forget the importance of this step, and consequently fail to answer the following very important question: "What are they Fighting For?"

Lack of Subtlety in the Theme

Young writers seem to have this notion that they are possessors of all the world's greatest wisdom and that their works will change the world. As we get older and truly wiser, we learn a little thing called tact and, more importantly, subtlety. It's great to have beliefs, but please don't preach them. Never make it abundantly clear what the message is, because then the entire experience is cheapened. The best themes creep up on you after you've finished reading, not in a philosophical paragraph from the writer's perspective. You'll find that there's a "theme" inherant to everything in life, and in most cases you may never be certain what that theme is. Mystery is alluring, no?

Corny Dialogue

Most young writers will use their characters as blatant allegories for the theme, and this yields itself to some corny dialogue. Say the dialogue aloud to yourself. Does it sound natural? Does it sound like you could have this conversation with someone? Are your dialogues overly dramatic and too philosphical? If you want an example of corny dialogue, see anime. Especially if your story is modern and contemporary, your dialogue has to be at least remotely recognizable as today's speech.

Excessive Adjectives and Adverbs

In just about every single piece of literature I've read from young writers, I see excessive modifiers. Particularly, I see everything action described with "slightly" or "slowly." Think to yourself before using any of these types of words: does it really enhance the story? Does it even enhance the word all that much? I'm not saying minimalism is the only way to write, but it certainly beats being told precisely what to make of every description without imagining for yourself what to make of them.

Ambiguous Pronouns

In trying to immerse your reader into the story, the last thing you want to do is make them stop and wonder who or what your pronouns are referring to. Take the following two sentences as an example of ambiguous pronouns: "The two men went to the club and ordered some drinks for a couple of hot babes. They were juicy and delicious." Who does "they" refer to? The men? The drinks? The women? You have to be clear with your pronouns, or don't give your sentences so many subjects. Conversely, not using pronouns at all creates redundancy, and that turns away readers, too.

Good luck!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
A great idea. I will actually enter this one, hahaha. Got my song picked out and everything.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Fun, fun, fun. I'm writing it in a style that I've never tried before-- not nearly as poetic as yours. It's actually way weird... and I don't know if I even like it yet.

It'll be up soon though.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Man, I think I misread the WWYP2 prompt. I basically already did that to a Primus song called "My name is Mud." Bah.

I'll enter this one, but no Eorlashings for me this time.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I promise I will have my judgments in time, despite my hectic Christmastime schedule (I'm leaving for Poland tomorrow).

Ah, I'm really looking forward to reading these. I may just have to write one for myself...

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I would enter but I don't really know any songs I can associate with... So we will recieve absolutely no prizes? Not even the Smash Writer (which I want more then anything) title?

Matt

I've changed my mind! The overall winner will join the Smash Writers.

If the winner is already in, then it will go to the next down, and so forth.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I think the prompt is an interesting choice, and I feel more motivated than ever to actually write.

Best of luck to everyone.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
This is going to be difficult; out of all the writing skills I have, writing in association to music is probably my worst style and then fan fics would have to be my second worst. Regardless, I'll still enter and try my best though I doubt I will win. Good luck everyone.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Edit: Bah, doens't matter.

Anyways, I wrote something. It's only 349 words, so I need to flesh it out quite a bit. Anyways, I actually finished a story for here BEFORE IT WAS DUE! I'm actually very ****ing proud of myself. You should all be proud of me too. All of you!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Wow. You guys are rushing to make this thing huh? We have a month you know. I need a suggestion real quick. I am looking for a song about recklessness so can one of you tell me a good song that emphasizes on this theme? If you do, I'll +rep you. Thanks.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I don't like music.

All these music prompts make bluezaft a sad boy.
How do prompts like mine make you feel?

Also, Uncle Kenny, I think looking for a particular type of song isn't the best route to go. I'd recommend listening to some songs, and picking one based on how well you connect with the spirit of the song. Music goes a lot deeper than some cliché Ode to James Dean or whatever.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I don't think songs in different languages should be a problem as long as you slapped a translation on it.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
How do prompts like mine make you feel?

Also, Uncle Kenny, I think looking for a particular type of song isn't the best route to go. I'd recommend listening to some songs, and picking one based on how well you connect with the spirit of the song. Music goes a lot deeper than some cliché Ode to James Dean or whatever.
I see. I already have a song I think I can connect to anyway. Music prompts are hard to do. I would have prefered to do something like WWYP3 but I didn't see it in time to make an entry. I already had like three ideas I could have used to go with the prompt off the bat aswell. Sigh. Hopefully I can do well in this Mini WWYP contest although I doubt I will. I just can't get into songs all that well, I just listen to them and can care less for their deeper meaning. That isn't to say music sucks, it is probably as deep as writing but I still prefer good old fashioned writing instead. Before you say it, I know you have to write songs to sing them but what I meant was that I prefer straight forward stories over poetic stories with deep meanings. I'll see what I can do in this contest. At least it will be challenging.

Edit: Speaking of WWYP, when will WWYP4 be held? After Scav's reviews or after this contest?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^ I'm writing my peice straightforward from my text. My text is about sleep, my story is about sleep.

I don't have to think deep between the lines. My song is about sleep. It's titled Sleep. It's not about death or anything. Try not to make it harder than it really is. Unless you really want to. Some people are going to have awesome song to writing translations. But me? I'm keeping it simple. I don't care if I win or not. It's fun.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Um... two questions.

Songs without lyrics?
Could we talk about a song that is lyric-less. like classical songs for example and the match our story to the flow of the music or something?

Songs that tell a blanet story?
Songs that don't really express a general theme or idea and have the whole story prosess down for you. Like for example "rudolf the red nose raindeer".

Would these types of song be aproprite?

Edit:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I think capturing the spirit of the song transcends literal interpretation. Though the prompt wasn't my idea, so I'd wait for Matt's BE ALL AND END ALL opinion of great magnitude before starting. Just in case.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I might also suggest making the opening category, adherance to prompt, worth ten points. Five for whether or not you paid attention to the prompt, and five for how accurately the authors feel you captured the song's essence.

Except there might be some NO U JUST DON'T KNOW TEH SONGS thrown around. I'm also not sure if this falls under theme or not.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I think capturing the spirit of the song transcends literal interpretation. Though the prompt wasn't my idea, so I'd wait for Matt's BE ALL AND END ALL opinion of great magnitude before starting. Just in case.
yeah I've already started...
Luckily, either way, mine doesn't fit in either of those catagories.

I'm doing the song Spin Spin Sugar by the SneakerPimps (ho ho ho, they pimp sneakers...)

Matt

On songs in languages other than English: Acceptable! As long as you provide me with a translation. Wording is extremely important in this contest.

On songs without words: Acceptable! You've got a greater challenge ahead of you if this is your choice, but writing should never be easy. If it's easy, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

On blanket stories: Sure! If someone were to craft a story around, say, America's "Horse with no Name," I think it'd make for a really interesting narrative.

And I'm considering changing the grading criteria for this particular contest. Something that, as technomancer suggested, emphasizes prompt more. I'll get back to you guys on that soon.

Matt

Would that work? I know that upload sites are pretty picky about copyrighted media.

If you do use a song without words and uploading it fails, find the judges on AIM and send it to them that way.

technomancer

Smash Champion
DC++ Hub GOGOGOGO

If you guys want to post up some songs, I or someone else can upload them onto my hub account and the mods can download them at their leisure. I think all songs should be reviewed by the mods, not just in a lyrical sense.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Gah! This prompt messes with my style too much and I don't know if I can re-adjust it by the deadline. I may just skip out on this WWYP altogether but I'll see what I can throw together for a story. It would help a great deal if I liked songs more.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
It would help a great deal if I liked songs more.
How can you not have at least some songs that touch your soul or at least fill you with some emotion? I have more than I can count on both fingers and toes (if I'm currently wearing sandals).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
You still have toes if you're wearing shoes. xD

UncleKenny-- try a purly orchestrated song? Write by the feeling you get. That way, you can't be wrong... ish.

Anyway, Matt, I have a question-- if I find the time, would I be allowed to do two entries? xD I can keep the score of the better one... and disregaurd the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom