• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MINI-WWYP: Feel the Beat (Contest closed! Judging now in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Hmmmmmmmmm.

Nah. One entry per person. You can write two (or three or four), but it's up to you to decide which is the better one to submit.

How does the Hub work? Do I have to download a client to access shared files or is it just part of a server somewhere?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Dang. I wanted to do one choral, and one instrumental... maybe I'll just register another account and submit it using that.

>>

Fine, I won't.

technomancer

Smash Champion
You can download DC++ for frees, just google it, and there's a hub setup thread floating somewhere around the vids section.

It's good for SSBM 'cuz all the old school videos are on it, and most new stuff is on there pretty quick. Also good for slick file transferrances and having stuff available while you're AFK.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I added a not-so-final draft of my entry. Link is in my signature.

Go read it. Leave feedback.

Even though I hate it when other people read my stuff. I need to get rid of that feeling.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Message for Matt:

Since I am writting my text in french, someone needs to translate it. Unfortunately, this person (chesterr01, my official personal translater) don't have much time on his own. Do you mind if it's done a little bit after january 5?

ALso. The french version of my text might be really near to the limit of 2500 words . I don't know if you'll still take it even if the english version ends up with a little bit more than 2500 words...

Matt

Wakka Wakka: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I do mind! But only because I can't make exceptions for anyone. Yours (the English version) must be done on the same time as all the others. Same logic applies to the word limit. But if you do go over say, a dozen words, you'd be docked a point for Adherence to Prompt at most.

Kragen

Smash Ace
Is there a absolute minimum in the amount of words. I noticed you said that it only needs to be under 2500 words, but you mentioned no minimum.

Also, may you use more than one song?

Matt

No minimum! Use your better judgment in determining when you've said enough.

One song only.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Bleh. One song only. I wanted to do a few. My favorite songs right now are indie, and also loud. I couldn't really write about it. I guess I could do a Bright Eyes song...

Oh, and matt or scav, when is the real WWYP, not the mini one?

Skywalker

Space Jump
Can about five to ten points be added to the style rating maximum? After all, the object of this contest is to capture the essence of a song.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^ Matt already staid that he's switchin' it up a bit for this particular contest.

And go check out my WWYP! Critique me, dammit! (Thanks, Wak... for already reading it. xD)

Link's in the signature.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I think I am going to relinquish my judging rights for this contest. I love WWYP, but I am burned out after just finishing a major writing project, shovelling a 20 x 8 foot driveway, and I still have yet another term paper to finish. I really wanted to judge this, but I've had a problem with my computer's sound on top of all that, and it's made it evident after blowing money on a tech that it can't be fixed. That would make me a rather poor judge for a competition about capturing the spirit of a song.

However, I recognize how last minute this is. If no one offers to take over that both Matt and Virgjhdhghhehhghahahgha jus approve, I will resume my duties. It's only fair.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I'll gladly take over for you, as long as Matt and Virgiligus approve.

EDIT: I'm too terribly good of a writer though, so if someone like demoncaterpie or pokemonmaster01 volunteered, they're be better at judging than me.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I'll be the judge. My writing skill may be lacking but after I got some tips from Matt I would like to think they improved. I could always go through a test if you don't find me to be a fit judge. I won't be entering this contest anyway.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Get Redcell, Pokemonmaster, or Bluezaft. They can do it.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I'll do it if you want.

Besides, I'm not very happy with how my entry's coming out anyway. But I love music so I think I could judge pretty fairly. It also lifts up the strain of entering this contest and let's me work on other, bigger projects (one of which will be done by at least this Sunday).

I also haven't read any of the entries yet, so I could legally be a judge:)

Matt

Alright! demoncaterpie, welcome to the judging trio. EE: as soon as I'm back at my apartment with my computer and AIM and all, we'll talk. We have much to say, I think.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Where are you now? And when you say "as soon as" is this going to be tonight, or like, in a month? Heh.

EDIT:

Also, sorry to let you guys down. If you see "Sandstone" you might see why I'm burned out, though. Sixteen pages, all of it tackling big difficult ideas, and all of it in a culture I didn't understand and had to research. Throw some term papers and exams into the mix and you have a very frazzled EE.

Matt

I'm at home still, but I'll be returning to my apartment in a few days. Work calls.

And no need to be sorry! We understand. =)

I'll read your story soon. After I finish this 900 page book, and after I finish looking over my friend's 30 page manuscript, and after I look over my professor's essays and poems, and after and after and after...

**** it, I'll read your story tomorrow!

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Where are you now? And when you say "as soon as" is this going to be tonight, or like, in a month? Heh.

EDIT:

Also, sorry to let you guys down. If you see "Sandstone" you might see why I'm burned out, though. Sixteen pages, all of it tackling big difficult ideas, and all of it in a culture I didn't understand and had to research. Throw some term papers and exams into the mix and you have a very frazzled EE.
I'm planning on reading that as well. The length of the piece kind of frazzled my mind, but I'll get to it.

Oh, and I accept the judging thing. Looking forward to reading all the great entries.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Hey Matt, I accidently deleted that PM you sent me. Which book was it that you suggested I should read again?

@Skywalker : I won't be able to do any work on any entries until the 8th so I am instantly disqualified. I look forward to WWYP4 though.

Matt

Three books, actually:

The Eyes of God
The Devil's Armor
The Sword of Angels

All by John Marco, part of a trilogy.

It's taken me more than three years to finish this gigantic trilogy, so you'd better get started now!

Matt

The final point breakdown is as follows (total of 50):
Adherence to Prompt - 10 pts
Spelling and Grammar - 5 pts
Characterization - 10 pts
Style - 15 pts
Plot - 5 pts:
Theme - 5 pts:

The competition ends tomorrow at midnight, at which all the Mini topics will be closed. And because there are only six entrees, I'd expect that the judges should take no longer than a week with these. After the results of this contest are in, WWYP4 will begin!

Admittably, it would help the judge's understanding to actually hear the songs, but the final word is that I am not requiring the entrants to submit the song to the judges, not through links to youtube or otherwise. Most important is the lyrics and how closely those are followed. Sometimes the music is misleading. Ever hear the original "Mad World" (not the remake for Donny Darko)? The instrumentals are way too upbeat for the depressing lyrics. That can work for comedy or humor's sake (see: Of Montreal or Belle & Sebastian), but I'm more concerned with how you guys interpret the lyrics, how they speak to you. All I really ask for is consistency.

Scav, could you talk with bluezaft about the next prompt?

Skywalker

Space Jump
I'm so happy to see that style has 15 points now. :)

"Average" be about 11 or 10 then.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
And because there are only six entrees, I'd expect that the judges should take no longer than a week with these.
>.< Do not overlook me. I just don't want to post an unfinished story.

The competition ends tomorrow at midnight, at which all the Mini topics will be closed.
That's Friday night (Saturday morning), but according to which region? Pacific? Eastern?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Oh EM Geezee!

I haven't writen a word yet... I promised I'd enter though so... procraztination aside I will get this done son!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
>.< Do not overlook me. I just don't want to post an unfinished story.

That's Friday night (Saturday morning), but according to which region? Pacific? Eastern?
Central, I believe.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
And because there are only six entrees, I'd expect that the judges should take no longer than a week with these. After the results of this contest are in, WWYP4 will begin!
I can do a week, no Scavs about it ;)

Only six entrees? What happened to every one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom