• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

» Brawl: 3/20/10 Frozen Pool Pools! Amherst, Ohio

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
This thread is no longer about Smash or the tournament that took place on March 20th... This has become an in depth discussion about RPG favorites among the Brawl community... :laugh:

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
AND 90% OF THE COMMUNITY HAVE BAD TASTE. FF 8 Sucked always has sucked and will continue to suck. The CORRECT list goes:

FF7
FF9
FF13
FF6
FF10.

The rest dont mattah.

ALSO if youre gonna critique a game (FF13) You have to play the WHOLE game NOT the first half hour noobs!

Get @ me!

:p

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
AND 90% OF THE COMMUNITY HAVE BAD TASTE. FF 8 Sucked always has sucked and will continue to suck. The CORRECT list goes:

FF7
FF9
FF13
FF6
FF10.

The rest dont mattah.

ALSO if youre gonna critique a game (FF13) You have to play the WHOLE game NOT the first half hour noobs!

Get @ me!

You are the typical FF Fanboy who doesn't fully understand, it's okay Shugo, you have bad taste for liking game such as FF13. You will never understand what a good game is.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
This thread is no longer about Smash or the tournament that took place on March 20th... This has become an in depth discussion about RPG favorites among the Brawl community... :laugh:
Yeahhhh.
I was guessing this would happen, honestly XD After Saturday's debates...

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

FF7
FF9
FF13
FF6
FF10.

The rest dont mattah.

Get @ me!

13 over 6? ROFL now that's going overboard.

And it's kind of hard to critique a game if the developers make the first 20-25 HOURS completely unbearable. Not to mention the only point you can traditionally grind at in the game is in chapter 11 (and was the closest thing to any open exploration in the game at all), which is kind of sad. And the rest do matter, especially FF4. It's ok young grasshoppa, I know you are too young to remember the entertainment of thy olden days, but give your elders some respect. xD

My list:

FF6
FF9
FF8
FF10 (and X-2, it was a good sequel, don't hate)
FF4
FF5
FF7
FF2
FF1
FF3

11, 12, and 13 all equally suck balls. They need to ditch the whole conformist routine with the MMO and Action formulas and go back to what made Final Fantasies 1-10 quality material. Pretty graphics don't do much to justify mediocre stories, tic-tac-toe difficulty battle systems (yes even further into the game in XIII), or lack of open exploration/side-quests (inexcusable for a supposed RPG title). Compared to their predecessors, FF11-13 are subpar at best, and I'm no purist fanboy of the series, I gave them all an equal chance to hold up to the hype and they all disappointed me.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Lol im not one who has ever cared if you could explore towns or w/e. ff13 has an interesting story, nice combat, probably the nicest graphics ive ever seen, a solid cast, nice character custamization capability, and plenty of side missions and stuff later on. Thats a good game. FF7s story though is by far the best its definately not overatted...it was amazing soooo much stuff went down, and i think thats what the majority of fans think WORLDWIDE. 6 and 13 are equally as good to me clowsui lol

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Lol im not one who has ever cared if you could explore towns or w/e. ff13 has an interesting story, nice combat, probably the nicest graphics ive ever seen, a solid cast, nice character custamization capability, and plenty of side missions and stuff later on. Thats a good game. FF7s story though is by far the best its definately not overatted...it was amazing soooo much stuff went down, and i think thats what the majority of fans think WORLDWIDE. 6 and 13 are equally as good to me clowsui lol
Shugo stop, you have bad taste and you're definatly not an oldschooler.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I could possibly do without the towns, but there wasn't even a world map or any sense of an open world in the game whatsoever. It didn't give the urge to move on down the one-single path they give you in the game. Don't get me wrong, most games do follow their main story above all, but that's all they really put emphasis into this time around. Think of FFX, and how you had the option to play Blitzball in the Luca tournament (if you're into it), and how cool it was to take a little break from the main story (while subsequently still doing an event that is part of the main story) and play a minigame. When, at any point in the game in XIII, are you given the option to play a minigame right in the middle of the story?

Where was the character development aside from the main cast? (such as the focus put on Beatrix in FF9 who was a side-character)

Where was a clear, distinguishable, villain to focus/hate on in the story? The entire Cocoon faction? The game lacks a real singular villain.

Where was the opportunity to hunt/work to obtain everyone's ultimate weapons? All I saw was a grind-fest until you had enough points to upgrade everyone's weapons to ultimate status. Lame. Pretty MMO-ish standard by the looks of it.

And by interesting story, you mean an unnecessarily tangly and complicated one, which doesn't unfold smoothly and doesn't really draw people in who have already experienced more powerful examples of storytelling/emotional appeal (Vivi being pissed off at the Black Waltz #3 on the airship in FF9 anyone?). Sazh was the only character who made somewhat of an emotional appeal, unless you count Hope but I don't.

Not to mention Lightning is basically Cloud with "girly parts". There's just no "oomph!" to her personality, which is why a number of people whom I've talked to (and myself as well) pretty much feel indifferent to the main character of the game. That's not a good thing.

It was just really lackluster and I hate to burn a game so much but it's true. xD

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Lol lve been playing games since i was 3. I know and played oldschool games. Im just not the type to completely dwell in the past or have that "i think a game is good cuz its old" mentality. I dont go for what everyone thinks is popular..i just happen to be someone outta many who think ff7 is the best ff theyve made. Im not one of those hype fanboys lol.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy 1 is where it's really at. For being so limited by it's time, it is truly pretty solid.

You get to pick who is in your party for the rest of the game. Pick your characters wisely at the beginning or else you could hurt later on down the road, or even at the beginning. I see this as true replay value since you can have a different experience everytime.

While FF1 was pretty hard on the NES. It didn't cater to laziness. If everyone picks to attack one creature and it runs away or is defeated before the others' turns are up; they will hit nothing but air.

About this: I've never played the new FF13, probably never will. It doesn't seem like a big secret to alot of people but Final Fantasy has been going downhill in recent years. Even alot of diehard FF fans have admitted it to me.

Suyon

Smash Lord
I should say...I liked 7....but then as time went on I saw it being overhyped and I lost interest in it immediately. Which reminds me to as why America loves Naruto. (I still think it's because he's blond)
Also you think it's a good game because of graphics as well? I think they only wanted to show how amazingly beautiful this game was and not care about anything. In my view this game is stupid still where I'm at. I mean Snow and Serah. I'm looking for Serah on day 11 for 2 min which was entirely pointless. They just wanted to show off how amazing the graphics was.
To be honest. I was NEVER NEVER NEVER interested about XIII. It looked great. But as time passed in development it got so boring and very un-interesting. Even Japan gave up on that game. It's only 10-30 dollars there after 2 months of the game being released. Where of course USA will have it for over a year.

"System: 1/10 “Such a crude system barely warrants being called an RPG at all.”
Scenario: 2/10 “An epic tear jerker.”
Graphics: 9/10 “Top marks here.”
Sound: 7/10 “Mostly quality.”
Enthusiasm: 1/10 “As if you could play this for 100 hours! I could put up with 8.”
Total: 4/10 “To think it got this bad…”"

This game is a movie...that comes with a mini RPG
All you do is run long marathons.
You can't even flee battles. Hell it doesn't even have the FF fanfare. It might be because of copyrights since they don't have. Nobueo Uematsu.
The status screen displays no real information.
Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points.
The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.
There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].

The sad part about FF XIII is the still the battle system. I get drowsy when I play it.
Did you know that Tidus was based off of Squall? I had no idea.
I've never played 3, 5, 6(wants too and knows it's amazing), X-2, XI

All in all. Screw this game. I'm waiting for Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

King~

Smash Champion
*is playing KH2: final mix currently* *playing games in japanese is stupid*

dang suyon goin in hard lol

ff games in general are boring to me, or they where i may try 9 or 6 soon(after i finsh chrono cross, and chrono trigger again)

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah FF vs Xiii gonan be the shiz.

and Kingdom hearts > new FF games.
*is playing KH2: final mix currently* *playing games in japanese is stupid*

dang suyon goin in hard lol

ff games in general are boring to me, or they where i may try 9 or 6 soon(after i finsh chrono cross, and chrono trigger again)
^^^ These guys are getting cooler.

Bead

Smash Ace
Oh the things I could say... and WILL say once I finish this speech and paper XD

I'm kinda sad I didn't go to this tourney just for the debate. when the next one!!!

*cough Golden Sun*

Bead

Smash Ace
Regarding FFXIII,

First off **** the item lvl up system.

Second the crystaltarium, or w/e the **** its called, is a the attempt to strike the "Sphere Grid" gold that FFX achieved. It was unique and simple to understand but still had the personal customization feel to it. Instead it has a set level up system that you must follow a path on, and while you are on that path the screen flips around so much you forget where you are.

Third. The fighting. Let me start off by saying it is a HUGE step up from the piece of **** that was FFXII. Since you control only one character of the party a control AI system has to be implimented, Aka the Paradigm system. How many times while playing Kingdom Hearts were you watching Donald and Goofy be complete tards attacking useless mobs while you are trying to focus on the main threat. (This might be a bad example seeing as Donald and Goofy are almost useless, besides Goofy's MP Gift ability) Being able to tell the AI,"Hey we in trouble stop attacking" or,"WTF are you doing over there come here and kill this ****" is a very useful. The "smart" AI that they use where they take advantage of the weakness once you figure it out is also an improvement.

Auto-battle. Why would you have an "Auto-battle" function when you only control one character. This is the point where the game turns from Video game to Interactive movie. Square tried to put an Auto-battle function in the remake of FFIV on DS and it made the interest in the game go WAY down. This is one of the reasons why I never finished FFXII. Set everybody's gambits to Attack, then if HP<70% Cure. Every fight was like this, including boss battles. It's like getting a new puppy and only being able to look at it. Kinda fun at first but then gets so boring that you want to do something else, like masterbating (70 hours of masterbating is worth more then FFXII imo)

ATB system. I will say that the ATB system is an improvement over the past FF ATB systems. The ability to que up attacks and save them or immediately activate abilities adds more of a strategy to the fighting. Now instead of waiting for a bar to fill up to execute a command you can que them. Thank you.

Summon system. Interesting... not really complaining here. It's one of those new gameplay systems that actually works and defines FFXIII from the rest of the series.

Rating system. Why do you need a rating system? Pointless. Except for maybe achievements. Then why are there no achievements for it?

Fourth. Linearity. One problem with this is the FF franchise is known for having a huge fantasy world to explore and 13 opens that up what 25 hours into the game. I won't complain about linearity because of how the story is. Think about it. How would you be able to progress the story when all the characters get split up so often. This complain is only by the fans who expect a wide open world. FFX was very linear until the very end. Same thing here. Also with todays generation of gamers, they become spoiled with all the "sandbox" games. Btw, moral choice systems suck. Nobody has used one efficiently.

Fifth. Story. Replace L'cie with Mage or Sage or Magic user. Replace Fal'cie with God or Creator or Almighty one. Replace Cie'th with Zombie or Ghoul or Lifeless one. Okay. now things start to make a little more sense. One thing about the story is that it shows more of a human emotion then the previous titles. I like that. Some of the most interesting characters in the franchise (Sephiroth, Cloud) has human weakness. That is what makes them such intriging characters. (along with giant swords and fancy hair) The story is pretty in depth and interesting and definitely feels like a FF story. Though why Square keeps making the world all super techy is pulling away from the FF world and more into the current generation of gaming "look cool technology that we can never achieve" feel. In FFVII it was more industrial. All the technology could be explained with the use of Mako. But in FFX and up they have kinda just given up on making the world feel somewhat explainable and possible.

Sixth. Graphics. Yup, it's a FF game all right. Pretty graphics. They like to show off. Everybody knows this. One thing I do have to complain about is that they keep trying to blend into the current generation of games. Pretty landscape now add brown. What happened to all the pretty colors? There was one chapter in 13 that made me go "Yay" and that was when Yanille and Sazh were in some damp green forest place. The vivid colors and cheery music make me feel all giddy inside. This is what I was looking for. On another note, the little mini puzzle where you had to switch between rainy cloud and sunny skies was =)

Seventh. Music. Nobou Uematsu. I do not count this as a FF game without him. His future replacement did an okay job but when you start to get sick of hearing the battle music you have a problem. It doesn't have that drawing in music that previous titles had. FFVII has some of the best music in the franchise. It set the mood of the game. Villian is going crazy, let's make creepy music. <<< This is a plus.

I think that about sums it up. Probally a few things I missed, but after an hour of writing this back to the actual paper I'm supposed to be writing.

Bead

Smash Ace
lol bead going in now
I'm serious about games. It's what I plan on doing for the rest of my life and if I didn't obsess over it then I will never achieve my dream of becoming a Creative Game Director.

I've already thought of a game where I'll name people from the smash world. No major characters though. Just little side quests =p

Beegs and KB will probably some Romeo and Juliet rip off =p

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Nice overview Bead i agree completely. The story was such in depth i didnt care about not being able to explore. I feel it can take away from the main focus of the game too much sometimes. The battle system actually requires quite a bit of strategy and thinking because the fights get veryyy tough. One of the few FF's that force you to use just about everyyyyy ability you learn in battle effectively (buffs, debuffs, provoking etc). I just finished it yesterday and i luved it.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Idc lol i'll just say keep doing and see how far that gets you since you hardly played..

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Of course I hardly played it. Once I saw my friend play it I was already discouraged. Then I could barely make it 10-15 hours into the game without keeling over from boredom. People always say to try things before judging them but in this case it's invalid seeing as it is nearly impossible to get into the game early-mid way through in the first place, which ironically used to be one of Final Fantasy's major strengths.

So yeah I'd say it gets me pretty far to claim what I have. At least trying it out is more than what this game gave me in return.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Well assuming thats all you gotta do is false sir. Besides what did you do in other ffs besides wait 10 seconds to put in a single command? Lol in the long run youre most likely just putting in the same commands for each of your members. The stories not bad at all

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Waiting a bit to input commands isn't a bad thing, it gave moves like Haste and Slow more influence.

And no, I never really repeated commands in other Final Fantasies to the point of sheer boredom. In any case, it's a whole lot better than having the game fight for you until about three quarters through, since that is what XIII essentially does.

The story...to each his own. I've personally seen better, even in Square's other projects like Star Ocean.

Suyon

Smash Lord
*yawns*
*Sees save points every 10 minutes*
*Yawns sees useless retry mode*
The game finds weaknesses for you.
This game makes me sleep when I'm fighting literally.
Interesting enough, I payed attention the clouds more than the battle in the game. It was more entertaining and kept me awake. They even give you a tutorial on how to fight AFTER everyone leaves that watchamacallitplace and everyone becomes blahblahblah L'Cith or mages.
What's the point of the system... with no MP? What's the point of being poisoned or w/e. I have INFINITE Esuna. I feel like my game disc is broken or something. The AIs aren't being entirely smart. They don't even have the defend system oh my gooooosh. You can only upgrade Magic and Strength and HP. With the weapons as well. Instead of having to bring items to "upgrade" something why not just bring items to "create" something. Maybe it's impossible since you shop "online".

If you don't care about the story then this would make it more into a story telling game with the mini RPG as I said. Hey guys let's make this small turn on the left and make it a small area and hide a treasure there! They won't know it's there! The map should be completely empty and allow you to see the map from what you've come across. Not when you go one step and you can see 1/4 of the area already then go in awe of how amazingly linear it is. My goodness when you take a look at the Chrystalization thing IT'S LINEAR TOO!
You wanted to know if how they could make a path if they separated right? Simple towns. Of course "Enix" says that it's too much work. So linear is awesome. Let's go with this path and make them be very interesting. Okay they're done here now on to next area. Okay now they're done too back to these guys and make them skip oh who knows what and we're here now like magic. Why bother chasing after Serah when you're Snow when you realize she's a l'Cith. That was like OMG RPG OMGWTFHAX. You had to talk to 2 or 1 people to find out where she was. After that it went to lol we just did that to tease you guys and back to movie we go!

I can never never get into the game because of the music. I can also never get into the game because of characters. Everyone is very simple. To me everyone looks the same and don't stand out. Even the story doesn't suck you in. But you guys say like half way through or after 14 hours? That's way too long. Even with Chrono Cross. The battle system is easy but I love the story. Regardless I'll finish 13. I need to look for Persona 3 FES....
i most likely forgot to add stuff.

I'm just at where Hope finally has the balls to kill Snow. And Snow's like :3 I'm a hero
Also Snow taking Seifer's jacket......

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yeah that's not cool, NOBODY takes Seifer's jacket.

Seifer is from that cool Final Fantasy VIII game, I'm sure we've all heard of it. xD

Snow's a pretentious punk.

Albel Nox > entire FFXIII cast.
Cliff Fittir >>> Snow
Edge Maverick's personality >>> Lightning's nonexistent personality
Vivi >>> Hope
Hell even Faize Sheifa Beleth >>> Hope's little whiny ***, and Faize lost HIS ENTIRE HOME PLANET/A GIRL HE FELL FOR
Star Ocean/FFVIII music > XIII music

Visuals are irrelevant. Final Fantasy has had impressive CGI visuals since, go figure, VIII.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
"Hold your tongue, maggot!"

How so? He seemed to fit the anti-hero persona quite well actually.

Top Bottom