• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ÖwnÄ's Yoshi! Critique please!

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Hey whats up Yosh fam?

Recently went to a lil smash fest where they had some capture equipment so i had a few matches recorded. They are quite bad to be honest so be gentle. :laugh: Just kidding ppl, some hard and honest critique will be greatley appreciated. I need to get better with this lil dino! I have a lot more matches that il put up lata in the future as i improve. Thanks in advance everyone!

These 1st four matches are of me in a random 11man crew battle. This is from the point where i came in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHM3dJMUTvI - ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs FrozenWave (IC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YntT9BKfKt4 - ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs Sliq Ice Jr (Sheik)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d574SfpieYY - ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs Mr. X (Marth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWYQeXqhiy0 - ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs Knee (Samus)

These were just some friendlies i was having with some1, i was kinda sandbagging, which i wont do again coz its kinda disrespectful but still be honest with the feed back!:) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JytCsiI29gw - ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs Chris (Captain Falcon) (Round 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWt7-ESuZg - ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs Chris (Marth) (Round 2) And then ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs Red (Samus) after

And last but not least, a very amusing match that i had with my frend! Its pretty old but im sure you'll enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmKs6EUjP-0 - ÖwnÄ (Yoshi) Vs Ôuçh (Falco)

Thanx again!

:yoshi:

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Against IC: You did pretty well. A couple of times I was like "Why didn't you use upsmash he was above you". Unlucky getting wobbled there too. That bit near the start where you went to kill Nana, you should've d-tilted her off the edge and then jumped out and spiked. D-smash is too laggy. Check out the Fumi videos against some random IC player and you'll see some of the stuff Yoshi can do to IC.

Against Sheik: More smash oriented that I am against Sheik, but it worked against him so good job. If he tried to grab you all of once you probably would have died more.

You also did well against Marth and Samus, I don't have much to say here. How many stock did you take off? 12 with your 4? ÖwnÄge

Do you know how to do dash cancelled down smash? In that first match against Falcon I was expecting it to punish the up-B way over the stage where he had high %. For the 2nd one I would probably suggest DJC up-airs, but it does look like you need some more practice for that.

And @ that last match: niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Falco getting what's coming to him. A whole heap of low % deaths.

Good job ÖwnÄ and keep improving!

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Against IC: You did pretty well. A couple of times I was like "Why didn't you use upsmash he was above you". Unlucky getting wobbled there too. That bit near the start where you went to kill Nana, you should've d-tilted her off the edge and then jumped out and spiked. D-smash is too laggy. Check out the Fumi videos against some random IC player and you'll see some of the stuff Yoshi can do to IC.
Hey thanks Bringer! Yea to be honest i had never faced a decent IC before so i didnt really know what worked. The only thing i remebered was that in Fumi video he kept chasing afta Nana so i tried to copy. Didnt quite work tho! :laugh:

Against Sheik: More smash oriented that I am against Sheik, but it worked against him so good job. If he tried to grab you all of once you probably would have died more.
Yea i really need to tone down on my smashes, coz i notice that i do them faaaaaar to much and a better smasher will defo take advantage of me if im not careful.

How many stock did you take off? 12 with your 4? ÖwnÄge
:laugh::chuckle:

Do you know how to do dash cancelled down smash? In that first match against Falcon I was expecting it to punish the up-B way over the stage where he had high %. For the 2nd one I would probably suggest DJC up-airs, but it does look like you need some more practice for that.
Yea i know how to do the dash cancelled smashes and im also quite good at the DJC up airs but only in training! :confused: For some reason everything that i perform perfectly in training mode falls to shambles when i actually have to perform it in a match. I get real nervous and my mind just goes blank and i start doin so much crap! :laugh: Maybe the more experience i get then that will stop happening..... hopefully.:confused:

And @ that last match: niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Falco getting what's coming to him. A whole heap of low % deaths.
Yea my frend made soooo many mistakes it was ridarculous. He now knows that Yoshi is quite dangerous against falco's if they arent careful! That match was for all the Yoshi's that have fallen to a falco lol!:laugh:

Thanks though Bringer that is very helpful. I'll have more videos up next month and i'll take in all that you sed. :)

:yoshi: Comments coming forthwith! Whoooo!
Thanx bro I'm looking forward to it! :laugh:

D1

Banned via Administration
I'll have to update later but I just watched the Marth match um...Down B at low percents=less reward more risk IMO, um in the beginning u seem a lil fair happy but its good ya came to your senses and stopped ^_^ Marth's sword makes it hard to just run in w/ any approach especially w/ a great dash dance which could lead to grabs, or pivoted fsmash, and so on...also some Marth's tend to sh back and fair which would basically make it even harder as a Yoshi for you to appraoch which is why its not ALWAYS good to rush just do it once u notice he wants to rush you ^_^.

Uhh...I probably gotta do more watching on the other matches I did like the kill on DL64 where u egged him...waited for him to attack and u fsmashed to dodge the move and send him packin @ the same **** time...I didn't get to watch the rest of the match tho I'm teh tired X_x

LMAO @ THE FALCO PWNAGE...Oldie but goodie regardless ^_^ even tho I use Falco it makes me happy to see Falcos go down against Yoshi XD.

Dtilt tested...no johnz approved.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Comments GET!

Versus Ice Climbers: Less smashes. You only really wanna smash when they're in the air to get the most out of your invulnerability. One the ground, you'll notice that there were very few smashes that hit, and even less that missed without getting punished. Smashes and dash attacks are terrible against grounded ICs since their shield grab game is top tier. Overall, well done. Never tech roll toward ICs. Ever. Try to gimp Nana just a bit more. And when she's off the stage, she actually meteor cancels very effectively when she still has her DJ, so go for a neutral instead. You can also try experimenting with dash grabs some, since Yoshi's is ranged--you won't have to worry about immediate retaliation.

Versus Sheik: Wow. Good job. But, as Bringer stated before, that Sheik really didn't pull out any grabs. That was his fault, though. Just be aware that you left yourself open a few times for some shield grabs or tilt-to-grab setups. Nice job with the combos...I can tell you were trying some things out. One thing I do recommend is to try and get some good combos under your belt and practiced so you can try to execute them whenever possible. Landing combos is a great morale booster and keeps you focused, I think. Just make sure you're prepared for anti-combo DI and that you react accordingly. Nice up smash usage...great up smash usage. DJC through her aerials if you're comfortable with it. It's really annoying for Sheik to trade damage with Yoshi, especially since he lives so much longer than she does. Finally, watch out when you're rushing Sheik full on (which you probably shouldn't be doing). One moment that stood out in particular was when you rushed her and got tilted right in the nose--be careful. Switch between offensive rushes and a defensive close-range stance when you can. Sheik is too good defensively against Yoshi, so don't give her the opportunity to react all the time. Make your own opportunities by forcing her to act sometimes.

Versus Marth: Also nice. YEHS @ forward smash and down tilt. Great job. Don't short hop at Marth. Either full hop or DJ through his aerials and counter. Yoshi doesn't have enough forward reach to beat Marth's sword. You can also back aerial and trade hits, but that's not too productive. Also, don't ever tech roll towards Marth if you can help it. Save down smash for medium percents to setup for edgeguards and for high percents to KO. If you roll and end up near Marth, don't smash. Use a tilt or some jabs instead. You had a clutch forward tilt in here somewhere and it was beautiful. Experiment with his up and forward tilts more. Up tilt especially in this matchup. Lastly, if you're going to CC Marth (which I think is good if you do it right), make sure you know when you'll have to tech once you get hit. CC is made pointless if you don't tech when you're hit at those higher percents--teching in place gives you plenty of time to counter or at least toss out a jab or two. CCing without techs actually makes an opportunity for your opponent, so if you want to CC, which I recommend, make sure you know when to tech so you can slap the **** outta him.

Versus Falco: Yeah. 'Nuff said.

Versus Samus: Wow, what a lazy Samus. I think I would have unplugged his controller and beat him with it after the first ten seconds of this match. Just by watching the first KO, I can tell his will be all CC forward smash and down smash.

**watching**

Yup, there it is. Terrible. Have I mentioned I hate Samus? Here's what you need against lazy Samus players. Crouch powershield those missiles and egg her while she's firing again (stage permitting). You never want to initiate a rushdown, and rather, want her to come to you. If you're going to attack, use moves she can't crouch cancel--Yoshi has a few you can use (hinthint). I'm not going to watch the rest because Samus makes me physically sick to my stomach.

Uh...hope this helped. Some of this is heavily opinion-based, so take it only for what its worth. Hope to see more of your Yosh--it's quite nice. ^_^

Kman25

Smash Ace
You also did well against Marth and Samus, I don't have much to say here. How many stock did you take off? 12 with your 4? ÖwnÄge
I lol'ed there xD, I still need to play your Yoshi again though, And my bros wanna play your Yoshi too, But that was awesome stuff at the crew match man, We took 20 stock between each other :laugh: , Good going with that Yoshi, Its too good

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Wow Shiri, thanks for that bro! Always informative as usual my boy!

There is a lot of info in here that tells me i have been approaching alot of matches totally wrong, so im defo gonna take everything in that you, D1 and Bringer have said! Thanks guy's the next vids i put up there will be of a newly trained and reformed Yoshi! Lol! But seriously thanks for the advice guys!

I lol'ed there xD, I still need to play your Yoshi again though, And my bros wanna play your Yoshi too, But that was awesome stuff at the crew match man, We took 20 stock between each other :laugh: , Good going with that Yoshi, Its too good
Thanks dude! Haha that crew battle was jokes man, but i still got a long way to go with my Yoshi. He'll be a lot better the next tym u see him, especially after i incorporate all this advice im getting! I defo gotta play you and your lil prodigy brothers, they were clearing house man!!:laugh:

Top Bottom