• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆ Official Luigi Match-Up Thread! ☆

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
cant d3 do an infinite standing grab on weegie? if so that it'd be pretty bad, maybe 80:20 d3's favour, espcially since with d3's grab range luigi has so very little safe options.

TreK

Is "that guy"
infinites still aren't banned in the USA ?

DDD can't really kill us, at least not onstage. We have a hard time KOing him too, but being able to jab-upB him is a big plus. He dies at 80% on FD, 60-70 on Halberd. As long as you're consistent at pshielding the bair, nothing should be really difficult to overcome. We've been trying to not get grabbed for almost 1 year and a half (2 years for you guys), it shouldn't be a problem now. I fear DDD's bair more than his shield.
If you ask me, that's a 45-55 ; 40-60 on his CP. We don't really have anywhere to CP him afaik =/

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Yosh, ddd does die on fd at around 77%. Your shoryu was pretty stale by the time you actually connected one. Keep in mind that coins count towards staling the move.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I thought DDD's infinite was no longer a big worry and that it could be button mashed out of...

Anyways, this matchup is 55-45 or 60-40 DDD I think. While we can combo him to hell and back, DDD's range and bair are pretty much unrespondable to.

Get inside him though...and DDD's pretty much screwed.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Yeah ddd even without the regrab is not a good matchup.

Jab Upb is a parlor trick on ddd and only works very early and in teams.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
i usually play a daily d3 most of the time, it'll be most likely a rock paper scissors matchs, since spotdodge > grab, if u can predict it correctly, but alot of ddd's will bait out ur spotdodge and what not, preferably it's great to just space right outside his shield grab range and just bait something out and punish accordingly with a tornado or some aerial

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i convinced CPUdede, the best d3 in cali that the matchup is even or better for Luigi without the infinite

Fireball, down air, and space back air...a lot

also down throw to stuff. Its my favorite matchup and possibly the best matchup I play.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Of all the people Dedede can infinite, Luigi is the hardest. I main both Luigi AND Dedede, I know what I'm saying when I say this is either 50-50 or 45-55 D3 w/out infinite and 60-40 D3 with.

Chaingrabbing can cause problems, so stay out of grabbing range. D3's ftilt is insane, but easily punished. If it's powershielded, Luigi has plenty of good moves to use. A Shoryuken at high %s is a good idea, but it HAS to work, or prepare to be grabbed. Or punished. Same thing, in essence.

For approaches, it's Fireballs vs. Waddle Dee's. Hope you get a Dee or a Doo, since the Fireball may not do much but it stops them. Gordo's just eat through it, and you better react. Dees>Fireballs. However, the fireball is still a good option.

A good stage is any that Luigi is good on- also a stage that D3s grabbing is "nerfed".

BigLøu

Smash Lord
DDD can chaingrab luigi with a perfect dashing shiledgrab. DDD can infinite luigi 5 times before you can mash out of it.

Moves to worry about-back air and ddd's sheild grabbing, play a well spaced game and mix up recovery options. I find it best to recover under vs ddd because that is the hardest spot for him to back air you.

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman
I have had a lot of trouble with wolf lately, can anybody help me out in this MU?
From my Experiance

Wolf Is most likely to spam you all the time, most likely his dsmash move. What I do is, I get a sex kick on him if I can....then I juggle him into combos. Bair is a great move too, fireballs to mind game him with because he will just reflect and you can get close in on him and do damage, tornado ftw!. Grabbing him and throwing him of the stage then some fireball spam until you see him recover, then thats when you run to edge gard on him.

ps~Dodge! a lot...

55:45

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So I have a request:

I've been having trouble with the resident Peach player here in AZ, is there any way she could be the next matchup discussed? If not for me than to revive the thread.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
What we need is people to be more active so we can have a non-fail thread.
Exactly. So it should have someone who is active running the thread as well.
It seems like the last update was some time ago. Maybe the person in charge doesn't want to continue it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
How about a general matchup Q/A with no particular goal, just questions about an aspect of the matchup someone can request (i.e. "Hai guys. So, how should I approach Peach?")

...or something, god**** it's been two years :dizzy:

yoshq

Smash Master
need help against d3 I dont know how to recover and how to approach woodbrigde tournament this weekend
against d3, avoid missile while recovering whenever possible, because he can always bair it - even a misfire. when approaching, you can do air moves just as long as you don't land anywhere near his shield. I suggest a grab for the approach though. once you've grabbed him you can usually get him to air dodge after your dthrow and grab him again, then after that do some uairs to hopefully another grab. and another random tip, the fsmash is very good against his shield when he, for example, runs up randomly and tries to grab you. it is the best move luigi has for pushing a shielded d3 away from himself.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Well I know there's a Q/A already, I guess I just sort of assumed that's mostly meant for clarification with learning Luigi mechanics rather than matchup specific questions.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
against d3, avoid missile while recovering whenever possible, because he can always bair it - even a misfire. when approaching, you can do air moves just as long as you don't land anywhere near his shield. I suggest a grab for the approach though. once you've grabbed him you can usually get him to air dodge after your dthrow and grab him again, then after that do some uairs to hopefully another grab. and another random tip, the fsmash is very good against his shield when he, for example, runs up randomly and tries to grab you. it is the best move luigi has for pushing a shielded d3 away from himself.

i never thought of it that way thanks i think im ready and i will surprise boss too tips are very useful and cpu falls for it every time but its cpu thanks alot man.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
but more on topic:

Can anyone give me some advice on approaching Peach and finding how/when to kill? She seems to always be just out of reach...

yoshq

Smash Master
knock her out of the air with fireballs. patience is key, so you don't go running into her random fairs. use nado to approach, especially after a fireball. also can do air moves after fireballs. if the player gets to thinking that their air moves will cover all your approaches, start reading them and punishing dairs and uairs with your bair.
to kill, use the lag on her moves, like when most peaches try to do random fsmashes when they think you're pressured enough by turnips to get hit by one. I'd say nair is the best kill move in this mu, although if you know how to punish her air moves with upsmash, that can be the best. utilt and fsmash closely following.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
and another random tip, the fsmash is very good against his shield when he, for example, runs up randomly and tries to grab you. it is the best move luigi has for pushing a shielded d3 away from himself.
Thats a great insight. I'm gonna start practicing this.

Top Bottom