• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

緑天龍 (Green Heavenly Dragon) Fire Emblem's Green-haired Lethal Beauty, Lyndis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm though so curious what will become for the characters being Assists. It'd be underwhelming at best if they were kept just same as before. I still wish they'd get to be more than just broken or dumb A.I Pokeball knockoffs.

Lyn being playable would be so sweet, but I still wonder would she be considered. But like I said, she's in a special position in Smash by being an Assist. Now it's to see what it means for her in SSB4.
I think Assists should play like the Support Koma in the Jump series. Rather than being items, the should be meter based and chosen before the battle, just like a stage and character. You only chose one and they all have different abilities, from stalling, to blocking, to healing, to attacking, etc... Some should be ****, others good and useful, and some absolutely broken, this way you can integrate them into competitive play as well, by making them a part of the game, but by allowing certain ATs to be banned from play and removing the randomness from them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am somewhat neutral towards Lyn... but if she gets in Smash over Roy, I'd be joyful because it means one less clone to put up with. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy could easily be a Luigified clone, but yeah, he'll have similar traits to Marth for sure. Lyn easily beats Roy in terms of moveset potential. And I'd prefer her over him to. Not that it's too likely, but anways she'd be pretty awesome.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Lyn was in the first fire emblem game that I ever played, her character was really neat and her speedy fighting was always sweet, I liked her more than eliwood even though he was cool, really she is the only new fire emblem character I support, I'm glad she still has a fan base.

:phone:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lyn's popularity and importance in the West is based on her being the first FE lord for western gamers. I'd like to hear some other better reasons though.
PS: I'm not saying that it's not enough reason, btw.

D

Deleted member

Lyn's popularity and importance in the West is based on her being the first FE lord for western gamers. I'd like to hear some other better reasons though.
PS: I'm not saying that it's not enough reason, btw.
Reasons...

Well, among the FE cast, she stands at 5th in relevance and importance, just behind Roy. Though unimportant and irrelevant to Japanese fans of the series. She's iconic to the western fanbase. Also, she was the only among the FE7 cast to be playable in the FE13 DLC, and is one of the few female lords in a series filled with blue haired male protagonists. Unlike Michaia, Lyn is generally more well-liked because she's not useless in game. Quite the opposite actually, landing criticals with Lyn (which happened rather frequently) was always a joy.

In retrospect, her high time was during Brawl days, this time around her chances are lower. However, she was an Assist Trophy and the 3rd FE character in Brawl, where Roy was missing (planned or not), so she still has somewhat of a shot, albeit a slim one.

Other reasons, being a female character helps diversify the cast, and is a sword user with a Japenese sword style, something we don't have at all in Smash atm.

The primary reason would be playstyle however. Lyn was a character I picked from the ground up simply because of the possibilities she brings to have a truly unique character that has a lot of competitive value. As someone who likes to play other fighters, I give a lot of merit to characters that are created with competitive play in mind, simply because it makes for a more well-thought out, balanced and fun character than "I want him/her in because I like the game and I feel s/he's important to Nintendo." Really, in contrast to other FE lords, Lyn is overshadowed by them in importance.

From my point of view she ties with Roy for relevance in regard to Nintendo, so take that as you will. However, also keep in mind that Roy was primarily added to promote his upcoming game, not because he was important to FE or Nintendo. This both helps and hinders Lyn at the same time as she's in the same boat. However, as I said before, she was made an Assist Trophy out of sheer demand for her character in Brawl days. So Sakurai is indeed aware of her popularity as are IntSys by making her DLC. If only Sakurai built Smash with a Competitive playstyle in mind, Lyn would have a MUCH higher shot at getting in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
After playing through FE7 again recently, I felt the need to bump this thred to spark some more discussion. :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I hate to say it, but I want to support Lyn for the fighting style. It might sound shallow, but it would be more interesting to see a character go for a battoujutsu style of sword fighting.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As for the fighting style, the attacks of the myrmidons and swordmasters are similar to Lyn's style, I think.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I hate to say it, but I want to support Lyn for the fighting style. It might sound shallow, but it would be more interesting to see a character go for a battoujutsu style of sword fighting.
Actually, this is anything BUT shallow. You're looking at wanting Lyn from a gameplay perspective as opposed to the common star power perspective. Choosing a character for gameplay reasons almost ensures a more well thought out moveset.

I think Lyn's popularity can be mostly summed as a case of Germans Love David Hasslehoff.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You're right, but unfortunately not many people think like that. But I will say that adding Lyn for the sake of having more breasts on the roster is not the way to go, instead is should be from the prospective of what can be offered. In this case, the battoujutsu style of fighting.

I presume if she uses the two blade concept like how her Awakening artwork depicts her, I presume the blades would be loosely based on the Mani Katti, one of her signature weapons. Maybe even possibly utilizing both the Mani Katti and Sol Katti and alternating between the two between attacks, the Mani Katti being speed based while the Sol Katti being power based.

D

Deleted member

I know the game was horrible, but a style similar to Leonardo from the TMNT Smash Up would be quite interesting to see on Lyn.

While I wouldn't bet on her, if she were to get in with a dual-wield style, that would be quite interesting to see IMO.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So you mean like a stance moveset?
Basically yes.

Changing between the Mani Katti and Sol Katti would change the attributes of the moves (generally speaking fast but weak for Mani Katti, slow but powerful for Sol Katti), but everything else would remain the same in terms of mobility. If I had to make comparisons, it'd be like switching between the generalized attributes that Marth and Ike respectively have. Basically a little of both in one character.

D

Deleted member

Neat to see this thread get some action.

I wish more people would look at characters based on combat abilities rather than stardom, Sakurai included. The Smash Roster would be much more interesting. It's actually ironic, in an All Star game, choosing characters based on combat abilities is the ideal, but if you're making a fighting game from scratch, abilities are very important, but making the characters appealing and interesting is just as important to be honest; you have to make people wanna pick up the characters based on design alone. When you stop and think about it, the amount of though put into making a fighting game is more than people realize.

Anyway, on combat. Anyone ever play Big Bang Beat Revolve on the PC? It's a doujin fighter. There's an underground cult following for it like with Melty Blood and it's a pretty good game to be honest (if you wanna play it you can Google it and you'll find a link on the first page, just make sure your Comp is set to Japanese Locale like you would for Visual Novels and stuff). The reason I mention this game is because there's a character on there who could serve as an example of what could be seen on Lyn. Her name is Senna Kyoudou, she's a katana-wielding schoolgirl and she uses a very similar style to Lyn's just barring the counters. Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, Big Bang Beat is basically a fighting game based off of the SRPG by Alicesoft (same guys that made Rance) called Big Bang Age.

Here's some links on Senna's abilities, check em out:
http://bigbangbeat.wikia.com/wiki/Senna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnQp_iMxz8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begclrA7CW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKgNUWTY-7E

Also, as I've mentioned before. I'm kinda warming up to the idea of Lyn using two swords, but in a Tekken/Soul Calibur String-like fashion, where some moves lead into others. Example, pressing A, or >A or <A, etc... after a vNeut, or a >Neut, etc... leads into different and useful follow up moves. I've got some ideas cooked up, I'll probably update her moveset in the near future, as I've felt her neutrals are a bit lacking for quite some time.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
All the better to not have him. :awesome:
May the demise be within you as you'll be pierced by the dual blades of the uniter.
(-´^`-)

Joking aside, I still think Lyn would work more with using one sword than two. Maybe because it flows with her overall character and playstyle more.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I have a trash can that is green and it reminds me of Lyn and I once found a bug on the trash can and I took it in and raised it until it transformed into its ultimate form his name was Snozwald.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have a trash can that is green and it reminds me of Lyn and I once found a bug on the trash can and I took it in and raised it until it transformed into its ultimate form his name was Snozwald.
I don't S-eem to under-S-tand that. :glare:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's funny. I Know a Lyn that reminds me of a trash can

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You're right, but unfortunately not many people think like that. But I will say that adding Lyn for the sake of having more breasts on the roster is not the way to go, instead is should be from the prospective of what can be offered. In this case, the battoujutsu style of fighting.

I presume if she uses the two blade concept like how her Awakening artwork depicts her, I presume the blades would be loosely based on the Mani Katti, one of her signature weapons. Maybe even possibly utilizing both the Mani Katti and Sol Katti and alternating between the two between attacks, the Mani Katti being speed based while the Sol Katti being power based.
Just remember that popular opinion isn't always the best opinion (that came out weird).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hands added. lol.

Now if someone could fix the arm, I'll be grateful.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Would be even more if we had Lyn's actual chest replacing the chest above. :awesome:

Cress Alvein said:

I'd like to suggest a male counterpart, called "Chester"! Based on my best friend of course because, Chester, get it?

Chester Burklight said:
"You make one more pun and I promise I'll personally lock you in that "supposed chest" of mine. "
Okay, enough off-topic.​
Strongest and the Youngest does it again---

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

@ManlySpirit
If it genuinely seemed lewd to you, I'm sorry.

Btw, glad to see this thread spring into activity after I bumped it. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

@ManlySpirit
If it genuinely seemed lewd to you, I'm sorry.

Btw, glad to see this thread spring into activity after I bumped it. :awesome:

It's like holding hands, you gotta spoiler tag that **** bro. Keep it censored.

D

Deleted member

Duly noted.
You know I'm just joking right? I figured me saying hand-holding was lewd would give it away.

It's an /a/ meme. Holding hands is lewd, but bare breasts and other forms of fan-service are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom