• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

緑天龍 (Green Heavenly Dragon) Fire Emblem's Green-haired Lethal Beauty, Lyndis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have trouble justifying Lyn without FE7's main protagonist, Eliwood.
Eliwood is an odd case. He is seen as redundant due to Roy.

I myself find it strange that Intelligent Systems favoured Lyn over Eliwood and Hector. (I'm still unhappy that they didn't get a DLC redesign.)

FE7's japanese popularity poll has Eliwood on 2nd place, Hector 3rd and Lyn 5th. And Nino came 1st. (That's partly why I find it hard to take that poll seriously.)

Take a look at Manly's poll. (Note that it is in the context of Fire Emblem, not Smash Bros.)
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=51763efee4b0bd1609c69c04

Lyn and Hector have managed to remain popular, which is notable.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ike, Chrom, Micaiah, and Hector would like to have a word with you. Even though two of them aren't technically lords.
Though most of them are pretty generic. Characters like Marth and Eirika are very cookie-cutter-like.
That's why I said "Most", Ike's my favorite Lord ever, and Hector second, they are both awesome. Ike is the lord in PoR also, plus Hector mode, so I don't see what your saying about two not being lords. The ones you mentioned were the ones I was excluding. Lyn is the best FE character to choose for Smash, if we want an original, thought out move-set.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Eliwood is an odd case. He is seen as redundant due to Roy.

I myself find it strange that Intelligent Systems favoured Lyn over Eliwood and Hector. (I'm still unhappy that they didn't get a DLC redesign.)

FE7's japanese popularity poll has Eliwood on 2nd place, Hector 3rd and Lyn 5th. And Nino came 1st. (That's partly why I find it hard to take that poll seriously.)

Take a look at Manly's poll. (Note that it is in the context of Fire Emblem, not Smash Bros.)
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=51763efee4b0bd1609c69c04

Lyn and Hector have managed to remain popular, which is notable.
How did Katarina and other non-lords get in over Sigurd, Hector and Eliwood.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I support lyn for smash 4, I hope it'll go down like so, Marth, Lyn, Chrom

Marth to rep the first FE in the East
Lyn to rep the first FE in the West
Chrom because FEA is new

So that means chrom replaces ike, (radiant dawn is more micaiah 's than ike's). sadly to say roy shouldn't be coming back imo.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Chrom because FEA is new

So that means chrom replaces ike, (radiant dawn is more micaiah 's than ike's). sadly to say roy shouldn't be coming back imo.
I think they will have 4 with Ike included, Ike's moveset is made for him, so it's unlikely it would be wasted. The only move that would fit for Chrom is his counter, because he doesn't use Aether the way Ike does. I'm mostly afraid for the clones, but Ike isn't a clone he has his own moveset corresponding wwith his games, so I expect him to stay with the addition of those 2.

Holy Lance

Smash Apprentice
Lyn is my favorite Fire Emblem character. I think her main competition is Chrom, but since she was an assistant trophy in Brawl she has a chance :)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Finally got my character discussing energy back since the E3 trailer(s), Anyways I'm starting to see Lyn being more viable as a canidate as the days go on unlike other non veteran FE characters. I hope she appears with Ike, Marth and insert 4th rep here (most likely Chrom or Roy)

D

Deleted member

You know what'd be funny? With how unpredictable Sakurai has gotten, what if Lyn overtook the other FE candidates like Roy and Chrom?

After all, Sakurai's fave FE character is a Swordmaster akin to Lyn.

I'd laugh my ass off if that happened.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
You know what'd be funny? With how unpredictable Sakurai has gotten, what if Lyn overtook the other FE candidates like Roy and Chrom?

I'd laugh my *** off if that happened.
You know, that might be Lyn's best chance. That, or if he decided to prioritize characters who had high support for previous games.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Fairly new here, and Lyn is probably my most wanted newcomer. I think she has some priority for a 4th FE slot, and I think that the only major competition is Chrom.

I'd laugh my *** off if that happened.
This would be brilliant. The internet rage would be so massive, and it would be hilarious.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Took me a long time, due to being busy, but I finally finished that moveset I said I was working on. Some of these moves derive from various Fire Emblem games, while others were inspired by Hibiki Takane from The Last Blade. As for the taunts and victory poses, I know they are not too imaginative, but I tried to think of things befitting the character's personality. Anyhow, here it is:

[collapse="Lyndis Moveset"]
♦ Index:

1). Regular Attack
2). Other Moves & Actions
3). Tilt Attacks
4). Smash Attacks
5). Aerial Attacks
6). Special Moves
7). Grab Attacks
8). Taunts, Poses, Etc.
9). Final Smash

1). Regular Attack (or “jab”):

• Jab: In a swift and fluid motion, Lyn draws her sword, performs a horizontal slash and then sheaths it.

• Regular Attack (with item): Lyn performs an upward diagonal slash with whatever item she is wielding. Damage, speed, and knockback depend on what item she is wielding.

2). Other Moves & Actions:

Note: Lyn’s fighting style consist mainly of swift, single strikes meant to “punish” opponents’ attacks. Where Lyndis lacks in defence and brute power, she more than makes up for with speed and evasiveness. Think Zero Suit Samus, but more agile.

• Fighting stance: Something similar to this…

• Initial Jump Animation & Height: With one hand on her sheathed sword, Lyn nimbly leaps into the air. About as high and far as Zero Suit Samus’s jump, but faster.

• Initial Jump Animation & Height (backward): With one hand on her sheathed sword, Lyn nimbly leaps backward. About as high and far as Zero Suit Samus’s jump, but faster.

• Secondary Jump Animation & Height: Lyn nimbly jumps into the air whilst twirling her body. About as high and far as Zero Suit Samus’s secondary jump, but faster.

• Secondary Jump Animation & Height (backward): Lyn nimbly and gracefully backflips. About as high and far as Zero Suit Samus’s jump, but faster.

• Spot Dodge Animation & Duration: Lyn casually leans to the side. About as long as Marth’s spot dodge.

• Air Dodge Animation & Duration: Lyn twists her body. About as long as Marth’s air dodge.

• Dash Attack: Lyn slashes through the opponent with blinding speed, sending the opponent flying upward a little. Instant startup.

• Dash Attack (with item): Lyn dashes forward with blinding speed, slashing the opponent with both her sword and whatever item she is wielding. Damage and knockback depend on what item Lyn is wielding.

• Get-up Attack (face up): Lyn swiftly swings her sword in front of her, then behind her.

• Get-up Attack (face down): Lyn swiftly swings her sword in front of her, then behind her.

• Edge Climb Attack: Lyn nimbly hurls herself onto the stage and performs a swift horizontal slash of her sword.

• Second Edge Climb Attack (when damage percent is high): Lyn slowly climbs onto the ledge and then performs a quick horizontal slash of her sword.

3). Tilt Attacks:

• Forward Tilt: Lyn takes one step forward whist performing a strong horizontal slash; she then steps back whilst sheathing her sword. The attack slashes through the opponent(s) and pushes them out of arm’s length. Instant startup. Good horizontal range, but poor vertical range. Very short ending lag. This attack can be used immediately after “jab”.

• Forward Tilt (with item): Lyn performs a swift downward vertical slash with both hands. Damage, speed, and knockback depend on what item Lyn is wielding.

• Upward Tilt: Lyn swings her sword above her in an arc and then sheaths it. The attack slashes through the opponents whilst knocking them upwards a little, dealing a medium amount of damage. Instant startup. Good vertical and horizontal range. This attack can be used immediately after “jab”.

• Downward Tilt: Lyn draws her sword, slashes the opponent in a swift and fluid motion, and sheaths it. Similar to her jab, except she does it whilst crouching. Quick startup. Medium horizontal range, poor vertical range. This attack can be used immediately after “jab”.

4). Smash Attacks:

• Forward Smash: Lyn draws her sword, enters a pose with her free arm held out in front of her and her sword held close to her body, pointing forward, then with blinding speed performs a powerful dash attack; Lyn dashes past the opponent(s) whilst cutting them, sending them flying. Quick startup. Can kill at high percentages if charged. This attack can be used immediately after “jab”.

• Forward Smash (with item): Lyn raises the held item above her head and then brings it down in a strong vertical slash. Damage, speed, and knockback depend on what item Lyn is wielding.

• Upward Smash: Lyn back flips whilst performing a strong and swift vertical slash which knocks the opponent straight upwards, dealing a decent amount of damage. Quick Startup. Short ending lag. This attack can be used immediately after “jab”.

• Downward Smash: Lyn draws her sword and along the ground performs a strong slash that knocks the opponent away. Quick startup. Can spike opponents if used near a ledge. This attack can be used immediately after “jab”.

5). Aerial Attacks:

• Neutral Aerial: Lyn draws her sword, slashes the opponent in a swift and fluid motion, then sheaths it. Similar to her jab, except she does it whilst airborne. Instant startup. Very short ending lag.

• Forward Aerial: Lyn draws her sword for a strong downward vertical slash. Does a decent amount of damage whilst knocking the opponent away. Instant startup. Very short ending lag.

• Backward Aerial: Lyn twirls around, draws her sword, performs a strong downward vertical slash, then sheaths her sword. Does a decent amount of damage whilst knocking the opponent away. Instant startup. Very short ending lag. Similar to Marth, Lyn’s backward aerial will turn her around.

• Upward Aerial: Lyn draws her sword, swings it above her in an arc, then sheaths it. Does a decent amount of damage whilst knocking the opponent in the air. Instant starup. Very short ending lag.

• Downward Aerial: Lyn draws her sword, swings it below her in an arc, then sheaths it. Similar to Marth, Lyn’s downward aerial can spike if “sweetspotted”, only Lyn’s sweetspot is near the center of her blade rather than the tip. Instant startup. Very short ending lag.

6). Special Moves:

• Standard Special (Bow): Lyn conjures a short bow and fires and arrow at the opponent. When fired immediately, the arrow is about as fast as Pit’s arrow. If fully charged, the arrow is twice as fast and inflicts much more damage whilst knocking the opponent away. Quick, almost instant startup.

• Side Special (Astra): Lyn draws her sword and performs up to five consecutive slashes, the fifth of which sends the opponent flying. Like Marth’s Dancing Blade, Lyn’s Astra is all about timing. Instant startup.

• Upward Special (Dragon Slash): Lyn draws her sword and leaps strait up in the air whilst performing a strong vertical slash. Similar to Marth’s Dolphin Slash, except Lyn travels higher and in a strait line; it is a little slower than Marth’s Dolphin Slash, however, in terms of travel speed. The initial hitbox of her sword (the moment she jumps) has high knockback and can kill at high percentages, while the second hitbox (as she is rising in the air) merely cuts through opponents. Instant startup.

• Downward Special (Counter): Lyn crosses her arms in front of her, below her waist, her sword pointing forward. If an attack hits her whilst she is in this pose, similar to Lucario, Lyn will vanish and then slash through the opponent with blinding speed.

7). Grab Attacks:

• Grab Animation & Speed: Lyn grabs at the opponent in a swift motion. Roughly the same reach as Marth’s grab. Dashing grab reaches father than regular grab, but has a short ending lag. Pivot grab is the fastest and has the farthest reach.

• Pummel: Lyn knees the opponent in the stomach. Faster than Marth’s pummel, but a little weaker.

• Forward Throw: Lyn elbows the opponent in the stomach, stunning him/her, draws her sword for an upward slash, then brings her sword back down for a strong finishing slash. Does not knock the opponent very far, but does a good amount of damage. Very short ending lag.

• Backward Throw: With one hand, Lyn swiftly and gracefully whirls around and hurls the opponent a medium distance. Does little damage.

• Upward Throw: With one hand, Lyn hurls the opponent straight up into the air. Does little damage.

• Downward Throw: With one hand, Lyn slams the opponent to the ground, draws her sword and then stabs the opponent. Sends the opponent flying upward a little. Does a decent amount of damage.

8). Taunts, Poses, Etc:

Up Taunt: Lyn stands erect, gracefully balls her hand into a fist and holds it close to her chest, gazing at the skies.

Side Taunt: Lyn draws her sword and raises it in front of her in a salute, deftly swings it once, then sheaths it. At the same time, she says, “En garde!”

Down Taunt: Lyn stands erect and runs her hand through her hair. At the same time, a gentle breeze blows past her.

Victory Pose 1: Lyn twirls her sword in her hand twice and then holds her sword arm out to the side, her sword pointed at the screen. She then says triumphantly, “I have survived this day!”

Victory Pose 2: Lyn swings her sword with both hands, the motion ending with her pointing it at the screen, swings it a second time with one hand, crouches, then slowly sheaths it.

Victory Pose 3: Lyn holds her fist to her chest, her eyes closed. At the same time, she says, “Father sky…I thank you for your blessing.”

Idle Pose 1: Lyn briefly stands erect and glances to the side.

Idle Pose 2: Lyn briefly shifts her feet.

Onscreen Appearance (when the match begins): Similar to Marth, Lyn appears on the stage via warp magick.

9). Final Smash (Critical Hit): Lyn crouches whilst grabbing hold of her sword. She then draws her sword and charges forward. Any opponent she comes in contact with will be instantly KO’d. Similar to Marth, Lyn will be KO’d if the attack misses.
[/collapse]

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Final Smash: The Blade Lord
Lyn turns around like her critical hit as a Blade Lord without the Sol Katti. And a straight line shoot across at roughly half of a final destination in front of her. Then she proceeds to do her Blade Lord critical hit on all opponents at the same time. So she appears five times per character, surrounding them. She disappears, and uses three strikes on each characters, with last one knocking them off the stage. She then reappears where she was standing originally, crouching.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So apparently Sakurai is taking pre-Brawl era popularity into account while deciding the roster. That raises my hopes a bit. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Fatmanonice helped me out.
There's no conclusive evidence; only speculation. The fact that most of the new characters in Brawl were leftovers from the official Melee poll is argued by some to be more than just a little uncanny. From a development point of view it kind of makes sense too because Sakurai has stated that determining the roster is one of the first things he tries to knock out whenever he develops a Smash game. Another thing to consider that most of the popular character requests for SSB4 were a lot of same ones that didn't make it into Brawl five years ago just like how the most popular character requests didn't dramatically change from Melee to Brawl. That being said I don't think he would be offending too many people's sensibilities if he used old surveys/data because it's still mostly relevant to the fans' current tastes.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It'd be nice if our hypothesis on this became true. I mean it might mean that we either get what we think are leftovers from existing series or more series we wanted to see represented in Brawl.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Man I've been so preoccupied with Anna ever since I've played Fire Emblem Awakening that I've been leaving Lyn in the dark. I even made fan-art of her. :c
But no worries, I'm still supporting Lyn and she'd be awesome to have. c:

If Sakurai really does bring pre-Brawl into account than Lyn will certainly have a chance I hope. Either Lyn or Anna as a Fire Emblem newcomer would certainly make my day. Both would make my year! :bee:

Chrom because FEA is new

I could deal with that

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a poll was taken in Japan on your favorite SpotPass characters in Awakening. Lyn finished second, only behind Marth.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's encouraging to see. :)

(Sad to see Ike sitting at the bottom of the poll though. Blame that crappy redesign. :glare:)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Oh cool. More Lyn support. I'm surprised Roy tied with Eirika I blame Japan's distaste for the GC (unfortunately) in terms of Ike's placement. The GC had such a small install base in Japan. Not enough people played his game.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I'm assuming that Roy only tied with Eirika because he wasn't a good lord in 6

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Put this in the FE thread, so figured I must as well put it here:
special moveset:

A few changes:

Neutral special: Sword Draw. Lyn hold the sword in her sheath. jumps slightly forward, and slashes with a lunge toward the enemy. her right foot is forward. And then she steps back and resheaths. can be charged. Different than Ike's since she doesn't really move forward. (Lyn's FE7 lord: normal attack)

Forward special: Quick Blades: Like Marth's dancing blade. Lyn partially removes her sword. Then she can unleash one of the attacks. An upward fast slash that does the least damage but the quickest (up diagonal). A mid range sword slash that is the slowest out of three, but only slightly, middle damage (just forward). Or a low range running Iajustu which is the strongest and passes right through the opponent, but leaves you susceptible to an another opponent (if more playing with more than two player battle) (down diagonal). can do all three with right timing (FE7 Lyn Blade Lord: Normal Attack).

Up special: Vanishing Blade. Lyn unsheaths her sword, puts it over her right shoulder as if to aim it for a stab, adjusts the blade so it tilts up. She stretches her left arm forward as if to aim (this is wear the move has to connect). and then she disappears. If there is no opponent in front of her, she simply reappears as if she moved diagonally to what ever direction she is facing. If there is an opponent in front of her, she makes an X in an upward direction with sword effects. She ends in with the right upward strike if she is facing right, and the opposite if she is facing left. she then reappears, resheathing the blade. Can be done in air. (note: she is visible if you pause the game at the right moments) (FE7 Lyn Lord: Critical Hit)

Down Special: Counter.

Final Smash: The Blade Lord
Lyn turns around like her critical hit as a Blade Lord without the Sol Katti. And a straight line shoot across at roughly half of a final destination in front of her. Then she proceeds to do her Blade Lord critical hit on all opponents at the same time. So she appears five times per character, surrounding them. She disappears, and uses three strikes on each characters, with last one knocking them off the stage. She then reappears where she was standing originally, crouching

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I have a question for you guys. If Lyn gets in, what other FE characters would you want with her? Personally, I would want Marth, Lyn, and Chrom/Ike. A bit undecided on the last one.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I have a question for you guys. If Lyn gets in, what other FE characters would you want with her? Personally, I would want Marth, Lyn, and Chrom/Ike. A bit undecided on the last one.

I would say Ike, the backlash of removing a veteran is much greater than the backlash of excluding someone who has never been in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Oh wow, this thread sure has seen a lot of activity since the trailer, neat!

Also, a lot of the speculation going on here certainly raises my hopes for Lyn in Smash 4. And like I previously said, Sakurai's fave FE character is a Swordmaster, which kinda gives Lyn bonus points over Roy and Chrom I guess. Also, it seems his development philosophy for this game seems to favor unique character choices over popular ones, so we may see.

My ideal would be Marth, Ike and Lyn.

Lyn's still going strong? Runs even over Roy now?

So uh... what will Chrono say.
Does she really?

Where, in Short's poll?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Status
Not open for further replies.