• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

0C3 Pearl - July 20-22! CHECK 1st ROUND SINGLES POOLS!

what type of crew battles would you want at 0c3? (plz vote only if u r coming)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
tournament info update

If our parents cant make it because someone else is taking us, is it possible you could put an online version of the consent form so that I could just bring it to the venue?
yes there will be an online version of the consent form for your parents to sign and for you to bring to the venue.

also updates on specators fee just to be clear

spectators pay 50 bucks for :
3 days of food, 2 meals a day.
housing for 3 days.

they cannot play friendlies during the day, they are only there to watch. They can pay 20 to play the japanese that is allowed or if the want to record a match pay the extra ten. I am all for helping the japanese out or the cost of the venue. Now with that said.

specators can participate in playing friendlies once the day is over and its night time. Meaning they can game all they want till the next day until the tournament starts.

Issues on camcorders, apparently the owner, has some merchandise inside his warehouse that is top secret. meaning cam corders wouldnt be allowed even if people wanted it to be before i made it not allowed, because its not good for his business he said. With that said, it all works out like ive mention before with cam corders, you can record outside if you want, we will have a staff member have a normal cam corder inside to record to capture the event, probably altus or caotic. They will know what and what not to record for the owner of the warehouses sake.

Also where are all the banners? People must be working hard =).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I already registered for OC3, but due to recent events, can't come. Is there a way I can take my name off the list?

IK_GOST

Smash Ace
PAPA DAv3 IS ON HIS WAY!

YO PAPAS AND MAMAS IM ON MY WAY TO OC3!

Before i purchase these OD cheap tickets i need to know who can pick me up from lax and who can take me back + housing. Ken and manacloud ignore me on aim :(

Hit me up.

PS: ISAI PICK UP UR PHONE!

Goron3

Smash Apprentice
Grr looks like I can't go :( Wish i lived in America and not England lol.

Out of interest, how many europeans are going to be at OC3? I've been talking to a lot of English smashers and seems they can't make it because of money problems. I really hope there's one next year so we all can go. Sucks that England won't be represented that much :(

hugQ Cortex

Master
What if a Japanese player wants to play, oh I don't know, DSF for example. Does DSF have to pay $20 to play that Japanese player even if it was the Japanese player who challenged DSF? I'm just curious.

nublet06

Smash Lord
What if a Japanese player wants to play, oh I don't know, DSF for example. Does DSF have to pay $20 to play that Japanese player even if it was the Japanese player who challenged DSF? I'm just curious.
do you really need to ask this? its not like ken and mana wont let bombsoldier play someone for free. hes not a slave or something. if bombsoldier wants to play someone for free....im sure hes allowed to do it. >.>

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
YO PAPAS AND MAMAS IM ON MY WAY TO OC3!

Before i purchase these OD cheap tickets i need to know who can pick me up from lax and who can take me back + housing. Ken and manacloud ignore me on aim :(

Hit me up.

PS: ISAI PICK UP UR PHONE!
OC3 ALL DAY

dude Dave, I was away all day and then got your AIM. PM me or something.

Also have you register yet? Post your flight info there and we'll pick you up from LAX.
Try to fly in on either Thursday night, or friday morning!

all the falco's are flying west for the summer and a japanese one if flying East! DA Dave, Foward, PC chris, bombsoldier etc.

going to be too good

do you really need to ask this? its not like ken and mana wont let bombsoldier play someone for free. hes not a slave or something. if bombsoldier wants to play someone for free....im sure hes allowed to do it. >.>

yes Rofl is correct. If bombsoldier goes " I want to kick that guys *** and play smash" by all means play smash. However, this would probably be a rare occasion seeing that he'd rather make money and save the good matches for tournament play.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
lol mr L is too good i cant even handle it, i love paper mario games so much XD

not really related to oc, but that sig, i just love it

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
i have a question regarding the attendees from japan.
bombsoldier is awsome, but is any other japanese coming?...aniki?

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
What if you do have to pay something like $10 to play Bombsoldier, but ONLY if he wins sort of like a money match except Bombsoldier doesn't have to pay if he loses (and likewise for other Japanese that attend) and I believe that this accomplishes the following:

A) Bombsoldier earns his keep and gets the extra money he needs
B) Ensures Bombsoldier tries in his matches and you get your money's worth
C) Still charitable fundraising since Bombsoldier has nothing to lose
D) Gives more incentive for people to play Bombsoldier for both
1. The honor of playing with a legend
2. Beating Bombsoldier in order to keep your money
E) Encourages everyone to play at their peak for the advancement of the Smash Community

In my opinion, however, the recording fee should still apply, if not be raised.
A) Playing Bombsoldier and a permanent record of it win/lose is priceless
B) Record of you beating Bombsoldier lets you shut up all the noob fanboys
C) Bombsoldier threads/videos get lots of hits

Please excuse my formatting or this idea if you disagree with it.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmm

What if you do have to pay something like $10 to play Bombsoldier, but ONLY if he wins sort of like a money match except Bombsoldier doesn't have to pay if he loses (and likewise for other Japanese that attend) and I believe that this accomplishes the following:

A) Bombsoldier earns his keep and gets the extra money he needs
B) Ensures Bombsoldier tries in his matches and you get your money's worth
C) Still charitable fundraising since Bombsoldier has nothing to lose
D) Gives more incentive for people to play Bombsoldier for both
1. The honor of playing with a legend
2. Beating Bombsoldier in order to keep your money
E) Encourages everyone to play at their peak for the advancement of the Smash Community

In my opinion, however, the recording fee should still apply, if not be raised.
A) Playing Bombsoldier and a permanent record of it win/lose is priceless
B) Record of you beating Bombsoldier lets you shut up all the noob fanboys
C) Bombsoldier threads/videos get lots of hits

Please excuse my formatting or this idea if you disagree with it.
these are valid rules. I think everyones forgetting disc san. Although hes not popular as bombsoldier hes one of the best marth players i know. Ill keep the original rules for bombsoldier. It is not going to change so its set as stone practically. However Ill use these for disc san. So yes if people want to play disc san its only 10 bucks and the rules above. On the day of the event I will border off two stations one for disc san and one for bombsoldier people can come and pick who they want to play. If you arent willing to pay 20 to get a shot at bombsoldier you can atleast pay 10 to have a shot at disc.

Also I want to mention playing bombsoldier and disc san only applies for the first day and 2nd day. Then that will be it. I think both these players will want to stay fresh on singles day. So if you really want a chance at them, donate to them. Since both their tickets adds up to 2700, im hoping enough people are willing to donate to play them to atleast pass the half way mark with their tickets. We wouldnt mind covering atleast 200 to 400 on their tickets.

In addition to all that right now currently more japanese smashers are willing to go. Sadly like ive mentioned before we lost many good namers due to lack of donations this year. Guys that i would have personally liked shown up like aniki, fumi etc. however there are still guys like captain jack, s royal , and some more willing to go with help. Hopefully we can help them.

So what does americans get out of helping them go? An american vs japan crew battle, which is pretty exciting.

SK92

Smash Journeyman
how long are the friendlys before the actual tourney?
cuzz i wanna have time to play lots of different people before it.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
DAMMIT

I just found out that I'm playing in pit orchestra for a show this weekend. I really wanted to go to this.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
well

how long are the friendlys before the actual tourney?
cuzz i wanna have time to play lots of different people before it.
we will have a designated friendlies area before the tournament starts for friendlies. During this time the staff will be setting up the tournament vcrs and handle other things so tournament tvs will be off.

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
these are valid rules. I think everyones forgetting disc san. Although hes not popular as bombsoldier hes one of the best marth players i know. Ill keep the original rules for bombsoldier. It is not going to change so its set as stone practically. However Ill use these for disc san. So yes if people want to play disc san its only 10 bucks and the rules above. On the day of the event I will border off two stations one for disc san and one for bombsoldier people can come and pick who they want to play. If you arent willing to pay 20 to get a shot at bombsoldier you can atleast pay 10 to have a shot at disc.

Also I want to mention playing bombsoldier and disc san only applies for the first day and 2nd day. Then that will be it. I think both these players will want to stay fresh on singles day. So if you really want a chance at them, donate to them. Since both their tickets adds up to 2700, im hoping enough people are willing to donate to play them to atleast pass the half way mark with their tickets. We wouldnt mind covering atleast 200 to 400 on their tickets.
As a forewarning, I am replying not to peeve, provoke, or incite you but rather to help with your cause and so if my opinion is disagreeable, do not take heed. On that note, I believe the most remunerative situation economically for Bombsoldier is with the rules I mentioned. While I am glad and thankful that you saw them fit for Disc, in my opinion the rules I mentioned and the price of $10 for Bombsoldier allows for the following:

A) A majority of the people are traveling long distances, thus paying for tickets, gas, etc. which are all costly. Furthermore, the current age group of Smashers is students from high school and college, an age group known for being unemployed, having low wage jobs, being in debt, or a combination. Extra cash is limited.

B) A $20 fee for Bombsoldier is steep for one match for the average person. A $5 fee however, would not be worth Bombsoldier's time. A $10 fee appears to be the most reasonable denomination and perfect compromise. I feel it wrong to use such a metaphor, but the image of them having their own booths is liking Bombsoldier and Disc to carnival games. A $10 fee creates a volume of participants that a $20 fee cannot create and with a lower price, you will be more likely to "milk" more of the extra cash from tournament goers. Furthermore, a lower fee allows the situation for additional rematches decided on a whim, especially for close matches and more money for Bombsoldier compared to the steeper fee, akin to people with gambling addictions.

C) God forbid Bombsoldier doesn't place in singles, or doubles with Ken as his partner, or any of the crews. I believe Bombsoldier will still earn a tremendous amount of money with these rules for the reason that if Bombsoldier can win a match for $10 in three minutes, a generous estimate considering his renowned skill, he can earn up to $200 in an hour at the least if people played and he won non stop.

D) Such conditions allows Bombsoldier to earn the money. If there are no consequences to Bombsoldier trying, what stops him from sandbagging? Sure people might still pay $20 just to say they beat Bombsoldier even though he may not have been trying, but ideally people are coming to this tournament to play and see the best competition. Much of the marketing for this tournament is his name (just look at the thread title), like saying Michael Jordan is at a charity basketball event. No one will come and donate if he's doing regular layups and freethrows, they wnat to see ridiculous moves and dunks. Supposedly new "Bombsoldier" vids are receiving a lot of criticism and the only defense is that they're friendlies. People don't want to pay $20 to see that, but rather the multiple jump cancelling shield breaking, pinpoint lasering, and rapid ledge phantasm stalling that you've mentioned in the OC2 thread. Not allowing for a win and keep your money rule does not show faith in your product, in this case Bombsoldier, and people may premature believe the hype is just that, hype. Furthermore a win and keep your money rule creates even more incentive and generates higher volume of challengers rather than a $20 loss win/lose. People just naturally don't like giving money away for free, like you said especially for a one match friendly, which basically is what you want it to be.

E) While already receiving criticism for tournament costs and fees as a money grubbing scheme, more reasonable prices for tournament extras such as playing the Japanese can help appease the less understanding and less generous tournament going community, and overall help raise more money for Bombsoldier and company.

Thank you for your time!

P.S. If accepting this change, a $5 fee for playing Disc would follow suit considering he is not a big name, and people who can't beat Bombsoldier can try his brother thus further milking more money from small pocketed attendees.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
well

As a forewarning, I am replying not to peeve, provoke, or incite you but rather to help with your cause and so if my opinion is disagreeable, do not take heed. On that note, I believe the most remunerative situation economically for Bombsoldier is with the rules I mentioned. While I am glad and thankful that you saw them fit for Disc, in my opinion the rules I mentioned and the price of $10 for Bombsoldier allows for the following:

A) A majority of the people are traveling long distances, thus paying for tickets, gas, etc. which are all costly. Furthermore, the current age group of Smashers is students from high school and college, an age group known for being unemployed, having low wage jobs, being in debt, or a combination. Extra cash is limited.

B) A $20 fee for Bombsoldier is steep for one match for the average person. A $5 fee however, would not be worth Bombsoldier's time. A $10 fee appears to be the most reasonable denomination and perfect compromise. I feel it wrong to use such a metaphor, but the image of them having their own booths is liking Bombsoldier and Disc to carnival games. A $10 fee creates a volume of participants that a $20 fee cannot create and with a lower price, you will be more likely to "milk" more of the extra cash from tournament goers. Furthermore, a lower fee allows the situation for additional rematches decided on a whim, especially for close matches and more money for Bombsoldier compared to the steeper fee, akin to people with gambling addictions.

C) God forbid Bombsoldier doesn't place in singles, or doubles with Ken as his partner, or any of the crews. I believe Bombsoldier will still earn a tremendous amount of money with these rules for the reason that if Bombsoldier can win a match for $10 in three minutes, a generous estimate considering his renowned skill, he can earn up to $200 in an hour at the least if people played and he won non stop.

D) Such conditions allows Bombsoldier to earn the money. If there are no consequences to Bombsoldier trying, what stops him from sandbagging? Sure people might still pay $20 just to say they beat Bombsoldier even though he may not have been trying, but ideally people are coming to this tournament to play and see the best competition. Much of the marketing for this tournament is his name (just look at the thread title), like saying Michael Jordan is at a charity basketball event. No one will come and donate if he's doing regular layups and freethrows, they wnat to see ridiculous moves and dunks. Supposedly new "Bombsoldier" vids are receiving a lot of criticism and the only defense is that they're friendlies. People don't want to pay $20 to see that, but rather the multiple jump cancelling shield breaking, pinpoint lasering, and rapid ledge phantasm stalling that you've mentioned in the OC2 thread. Not allowing for a win and keep your money rule does not show faith in your product, in this case Bombsoldier, and people may premature believe the hype is just that, hype. Furthermore a win and keep your money rule creates even more incentive and generates higher volume of challengers rather than a $20 loss win/lose. People just naturally don't like giving money away for free, like you said especially for a one match friendly, which basically is what you want it to be.

E) While already receiving criticism for tournament costs and fees as a money grubbing scheme, more reasonable prices for tournament extras such as playing the Japanese can help appease the less understanding and less generous tournament going community, and overall help raise more money for Bombsoldier and company.

Thank you for your time!

P.S. If accepting this change, a $5 fee for playing Disc would follow suit considering he is not a big name, and people who can't beat Bombsoldier can try his brother thus further milking more money from small pocketed attendees.
As i know lots of people are traveling from out of state to get a shot at bombsoldier. 20 bucks may sound steep for each person, but then everyone wants a chance at bombsoldier. 20 is a fair reasonable price comparing to how much his ticket was to get him here. That is why bombsoldier is not here just to play everyone who wants to play him. There has to be priority for the people who really want to help him out first. bombsoldier isnt a machine, so his matches will be limited. If he wanted to stop after a few matches I would let him. People need to understand that bombsoldier will play the highest donator first for his cause meaning to help him pay for his ticket. Although you have valid points as ive mentioned this is how we are doing it. if 20 people play him thats 20 x 20 meaning we raised 400 out of his 2700 dollar ticket. Which is not even close to our goal. We are not changing it. Thats why if someone feels that they really wanted to play him they will pay the money otherwise they dont have too. It is that simple.

I am still considering disc san for people who want a chance at the japanese for a less cost amount. This way people who have traveled from far aways can still get a shot at a japanese smasher.

From a poor smashers attitude i can see why it is expensive. Youve gone all the way here from a state and your plane ticket is expensive you enter a 75 dollar tournament which is pretty much worth it. But playing bombsoldier isnt a requirement, it is an option. If you are willing to travel to a huge tournament as oc3 expect to spend lots of money like any other vacation. It is california, nothing is cheap here. How I see it smashers are quite lucky. They dont have to spend money on a hotel this time around or food. Lots of people want to play bombsoldier, then it is understandable to help his cause and yes it is his cause, not mine. If everyone donated 5 bucks, 3 months ago his ticket would have been bought by the community, hence not us. So he would have been brought here and there would be no fee to play him, but this is how it turned out because nobody really cared about the japanese. That is why 20 bucks to play him is already cheap. I will let higher donators get first priority on bombsoldier that is how it is going to work.

Plus, just because bombsoldier and ken are teaming doesnt mean they are going to win. Teams arent based on good players but team work. If you think so then you are assuming bombsoldier will make some money out of this tournament. Anything can happen.

hope you understand.

D4rk_Sh3ik

Smash Ace
exactly mana. people just dont seem to get it, you dont have to play bombsoldier, people that want to will pay the 20bucks, and even the 10 for the video. its that persons choice that they are spending it and they arent forced to, they are donating money for bombsoldiers cause.

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
mana, thank you for your time and for being reasonable. I completely understand your stance so consider the subject dropped. I hope others can now fully understand without malice or ill-will. Good luck with the tournament and I wish you guys the best!

PS: If they prove successful at OC3, would Bombsoldier and Disc be able to stay another week for Evo West and are they elligible to possibly earn more to pay for their ticket costs? Even if their plane tickets are a certain date, I believe they can be exchanged and whatnot.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
sadly no

mana, thank you for your time and for being reasonable. I completely understand your stance so consider the subject dropped. I hope others can now fully understand without malice or ill-will. Good luck with the tournament and I wish you guys the best!

PS: If they prove successful at OC3, would Bombsoldier and Disc be able to stay another week for Evo West and are they elligible to possibly earn more to pay for their ticket costs? Even if their plane tickets are a certain date, I believe they can be exchanged and whatnot.
we tried to pre long their stay to allow them to make it to evo west to actually have japanese players there like how evo does it. Apparently, for a fact japanese people have no free time what so ever due to school. I think its all year round plus a weeks break or something. Bombsoldier and discsan can only stay one week and that is the week of the tournament only to return to japan to attend another year of school. That is why this week has to be special for them, I think it is the only opportunity anyone will meet bombsoldier in real life. Ken and I have tried our best to make this happen and with good luck he will be at oc3. I think hes quitting after that. Most japanese smashers are going to college, then becomming business men afterwards. Smash will only be conversations of the past.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Bombsoldiers quitting soon? T_____T

I hope we'll have a chance to take pictures with them and get autographs. I hope there's also a poster like last year.

Any update on the T-Shirts btw?

Vat"O"

Smash Journeyman
exactly mana. people just dont seem to get it, you dont have to play bombsoldier, people that want to will pay the 20bucks, and even the 10 for the video. its that persons choice that they are spending it and they arent forced to, they are donating money for bombsoldiers cause.
I don't get it. So the tickets that bombsoldier got were not a round trip? I remember Ken paying for his ticket here, right? So we are helping Bombsoldier go back to Japan, right? Just out of curiosity, how much did the venue cost? I mean, if Mana can make a lot of extra money, perhaps these matches with BS and Disc wouldn't be an issue, that is if you predict that the DVD's will sell and the T-shirts too, Mana. Like Mana said, it would of been a lot more simple if we" the smash community" donated 5 $ for the tickets, but we didn't, so why is Bombsoldier here? Not saying that I don't admire the japanese, I do, but just because he came from a long distance, why does it give him the merit of only playing people who would pay 20$. I mean, this is Mana's " rule", right? STB, ( Sex Train Banditos) are spending 1,500 minimum to get to OC3. Can there be a rule created for us? Just to be clear, money isn't the issue here, I got money, but whats up with this favoring bull. Theres plenty of people who are spending money to get here and on top of that paying for the entry, not saying its too much. I want to play bombsildier, but in order to play him, I "MUST" pay 20$ for a match. Now, if Bombsoldier does meet his goal of 2,700 dollars, can we play him without this fee? But wait a minute, you can't do that because it wouldn't be fair for those who did pay 20$ for his tickets. So even if BS meets his goal we can't play him without a fee right? Now, if BS does meet meet his goal, then he had to pay nothing to enter this tourney, that is if he didn't have to pay for the entry because of his money crisis. Now if this does happen, that means the "smash community" will now be in debt. Why? because a lot of us are saving up to go to this. and we are not getting our money back.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
I don't get it. So the tickets that bombsoldier got were not a round trip? I remember Ken paying for his ticket here, right? So we are helping Bombsoldier go back to Japan, right? Just out of curiosity, how much did the venue cost? I mean, if Mana can make a lot of extra money, perhaps these matches with BS and Disc wouldn't be an issue, that is if you predict that the DVD's will sell and the T-shirts too, Mana. Like Mana said, it would of been a lot more simple if we" the smash community" donated 5 $ for the tickets, but we didn't, so why is Bombsoldier here? Not saying that I don't admire the japanese, I do, but just because he came from a long distance, why does it give him the merit of only playing people who would pay 20$. I mean, this is Mana's " rule", right? STB, ( Sex Train Banditos) are spending 1,500 minimum to get to OC3. Can there be a rule created for us? Just to be clear, money isn't the issue here, I got money, but whats up with this favoring bull. Theres plenty of people who are spending money to get here and on top of that paying for the entry, not saying its too much. I want to play bombsildier, but in order to play him, I "MUST" pay 20$ for a match. Now, if Bombsoldier does meet his goal of 2,700 dollars, can we play him without this fee? But wait a minute, you can't do that because it wouldn't be fair for those who did pay 20$ for his tickets. So even if BS meets his goal we can't play him without a fee right? Now, if BS does meet meet his goal, then he had to pay nothing to enter this tourney, that is if he didn't have to pay for the entry because of his money crisis. Now if this does happen, that means the "smash community" will now be in debt. Why? because a lot of us are saving up to go to this. and we are not getting our money back.
In order for bombsoldier to meet his goal(for his ticket), 135 people would have to play him. I don't think that's going to happen. Moreover, I don't think bombsoldier will want to play 135 people. If he's tired and wants to stop, then by all means he's stopping. It's his choice to quit whenever he feels like it, and he'll probably stop around 35. That being said, who ever wants to donate to him the most will have the best chance of playing him.

Moreover, I paid for his ticket round trip with my credit card. It's money that I don't have. I assumed or put a gamble that if people saw him at the tournament, they'd want to play him and in this case donate to him. Of course, most of the money that is paying for him is coming from me. Why are people complaining? They are getting a game from him and giving him a donation. Some generous people have already donated either towards the venue or bombsoldier and asking nothing in return for it. Just for the sake of helping.
Why don't people seem to understand this?

It's people's choice, they don't have to play bombsoldier, but they want too.

there is no favoring bull here. The only person being favored is bombsoldier. bombsoldier cannot play 100 + matches, even if he wanted too there would be no time. We are on a tight schedule as it is.

Vat"O"

Smash Journeyman
"there is no favoring bull here. The only person being favored is bombsoldier" -Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom