• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.1.5 Kill Strats?

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
With U-air KB reduced, limit taking so much longer to bank, and Finishing Touch being made totally useless, I'm finding myself relying on raw Smash Attacks and LB Cross Slash to kill at ~%100 - ~%130, and B-air and occasional attempts at SS Fair to kill at %150. Are there any techs or strategies that allow relatively low risk for taking stocks?

IMPENDING RANT:
I am livid with how they treated Cloud in this patch. In my opinion, he got it worse than anybody else, and I'm seriously considering totally dropping him until I know sufficient tech that makes up for his lost killpower or these nerfs are let up on. Whoever knows anything, please help.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just so you know, only the aerial version of Finishing Touch got nerfed and the up air nerf makes it easier to follow up from it, but only barely.

Longer charge time is pissing me off too, however, but it's not that bad once you get used to it...

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You're seriously over-exaggerating.

Uair was reduced by 1% in damage. The KB loss is literally marginal. It's practically a non-issue.

Limit Charge takes an extra 38 or so frames. An extra .42 seconds. It's not even a full half second of extra charge time. And you can still build limit via dealing damage and receiving damage. It's also a non-issue.

FT is not totally useless because it was untouched on the ground, and aerial FT is still viable.

Please read this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ing_up_misconceptions_about_clouds_finishing/

If you dont want to read it, it basically says, the closer you are to the ceiling, the more like 1.1.4 Aerial FT will act. This means that CPing to low ceiling stages will be important if you want that Aerial FT kill early on.

---

With this being established. Our gameplan has hardly changed.

Continue playing Cloud the same way aside from FT kills from aerials like dair and uair. Those have to wait maybe 5-15% later before they'll kill.

If you think these slap on the wrist nerfs are enough to make you drop the character, then you didnt have much faith in him from the get go I feel.

Just so you know, only the aerial version of Finishing Touch got nerfed and the up air nerf makes it easier to follow up from it.

Longer charge time is pissing me off too, however.
Reduction in damage also means a reduction in hitstun. With no KB compensation, saying that Uair all around is easier to follow up on, is not entirely true.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Uair still kills. You should be taking stocks pretty reliably at like, 75-90 with good LB CS usage as an edgeguard or otherwise.

He got it the least bad in this patch and LB CS is hilariously broken still. Abuse it.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I believe you are overexaggerating the nerf, my friend. This nerf hardly did anything to Cloud. GHNeko GHNeko pretty much covered what I was just about to say (quit beating me to the punch! Lol).

Last edited:

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
Oh well. . . I guess I'm just seeing things - I swore U-air used to kill at around 125% close to the ceiling even after staling and grounded Finishing Touch killed earlier. My mistake, all, thank you.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Oh well. . . I guess I'm just seeing things - I swore U-air used to kill at around 125% close to the ceiling even after staling and grounded Finishing Touch killed earlier. My mistake, all, thank you.
Don't worry about it. Look at it this way, Uair now combos better at lower percents, FT on the ground was left unchanged, and FSmash, DSmash and LB CS are still damn good kill moves. We just need to put a little more work into it this time.

Last edited:

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
Lol, how deluded I was. . . Well thanks to everyone for enlightening me, I'm sure glad I was wrong about how nerfed he got.

Top Bottom